EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Women's education

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Women's education
Cyreenah
Member # 4114

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyreenah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all, I'm a new member here. This looks like a really nice forum.. glad I joined. I'm curious to get more of a personal/inside view on this subject. One person of particular interest is Nabawya Moussa but either my researching skills are abysmal or there is not a lot out there about her? Any other really key figures I need to know about? What are some turning points/movements? I'm interested in historical pioneers of women's education and some more contemporary feelings. Are there any good authors whose work I should read? I can't find very much (probably because it's a broad topic), any help is immensely appreciated. Thanks!
Posts: 1 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like one for you Monica

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol... akshar!!!

Here is a good link related to famous Egyptian women, and their achievements for starters.. http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2000/484/chrncls.htm
In terms of Egyptian authors and their works/translated in Egypt:

Naguib Mahfouz
is the winner of the Nobel price of arabic litterature (in the 80's) you should not miss his works describing Egypt's middle class of the 40's, 50's 60's as well his political side regarding the 70's etc.......

You can make a search with his name, and you'll get plenty of book titles, at amazon.com, including a synopsis.

Also:
You can read the works of Dr. Taha Hussein, you will be amazed at his progressive mind and philosophy.

Ahdaf Sueif
Egyptian writer, her books are written in English with the typical Egyptian 'style' but the non-typical Egyptian story lines/behaviour...more controversial than classic...worth reading, more upper class situations!

About Nabaweya Moussa, Hoda Sha'arawy and the likes, here is a link for you:
http://www.awc.org.jo/english/egypt/egypt_landmarks.html

Dr. Nawal Al Saadawy, a modern day representative of the lower middle class, is also a very controversial author. She has been to prison for her aggressive and absolutely controversial ideas. You can check her works through a search on your favourite engine, by typing her name. [Check out 'Woman at point zero'] She is recognized as 'weird'.

Enjoy!

quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
This sounds like one for you Monica

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 23 April 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
lol... akshar!!!

Here is a good link related to famous Egyptian women, and their achievements for starters.. http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2000/484/chrncls.htm
In terms of Egyptian authors and their works/translated in Egypt:

Naguib Mahfouz
is the winner of the Nobel price of arabic litterature (in the 80's) you should not miss his works describing Egypt's middle class of the 40's, 50's 60's as well his political side regarding the 70's etc.......

You can make a search with his name, and you'll get plenty of book titles, at amazon.com, including a synopsis.

Also:
You can read the works of Dr. Taha Hussein, you will be amazed at his progressive mind and philosophy.

Ahdaf Sueif
Egyptian writer, her books are written in English with the typical Egyptian 'style' but the non-typical Egyptian story lines/behaviour...more controversial than classic...worth reading, more upper class situations!

About Nabaweya Moussa, Hoda Sha'arawy and the likes, here is a link for you:
http://www.awc.org.jo/english/egypt/egypt_landmarks.html

Dr. Nawal Al Saadawy, a modern day representative of the lower middle class, is also a very controversial author. She has been to prison for her aggressive and absolutely controversial ideas. You can check her works through a search on your favourite engine, by typing her name. [Check out 'Woman at point zero']

Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 23 April 2004).]

I would also recommend Lelia Ahmed for her interesting books, Border of passage and Women and Gender in Islam

There is Also Farah Ganaam and Lotfyia Al Zayat. There is another one but can not recall the name now, Dam it I am aging

Cheers

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Dr. Nawal Al Saadawy, a modern day representative of the lower middle class, is also a very controversial author. She has been to prison for her aggressive and absolutely controversial ideas. You can check her works through a search on your favourite engine, by typing her name.

www.nawalsaadawi.net I never really liked the woman. I have read her Bio a few months ago. She bluntly insists on being a heroine.

Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mooly El Din:
Dam it I am aging

Cheers

Mooly.. there are 3 things I keep forgetting; names, faces and can't remember the 3rd one

Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 28 May 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jaguar:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mooly El Din:
[b] Dam it I am aging

Cheers

Mooly.. there are 3 things I keep forgetting; names, faces and can't remember the 3rd one[/B][/QUOTE]

Same here I am forgetting my flight

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a big fan of Nawal-al-Sadaawi. Seems she is a heroin to western women and to much for Egyptians. Must be a cultural thing or some sort of nationalistic thing, or the way she is presenting herself that is not received well in Egypt and is aproved off in the west. I am not sure what women in Egypt would approve of her quest against ignorance and barbaric events concerning women.
Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi demiana,

I met Nawal El Saadawy two years ago, when she was giving a lecture to 250 Arabic/Egyptian/canadian women.

I was disappointed because I felt her distant and impersonal while giving her lecture, as opposed to her passionate aggressive works, exposing injustice and barbaric crimes against women.

I felt she was not being as convincing as her writings, and asked her why this colder attitude and her answer was, and I'm not joking:

fein el sahhafah? mesh ma3aool kidah!
Not enough Press here!!!!!!

Nevertheless, some of her works are worth reading for sure....

quote:
Originally posted by Demiana:
I am a big fan of Nawal-al-Sadaawi. Seems she is a heroin to western women and to much for Egyptians. Must be a cultural thing or some sort of nationalistic thing, or the way she is presenting herself that is not received well in Egypt and is aproved off in the west. I am not sure what women in Egypt would approve of her quest against ignorance and barbaric events concerning women.

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ayman2
Member # 1722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ayman2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monica is correct,

nawal el saadawy is so insistent on impressing certain feminist circles in US/Europe that she has completely lost touch with her own enviroment. She also tends to be very aggressive and even impolite when interviewed by Egyptian/arabic media and displays an arrogant attitude towards other Egyptians. I do not think there is a single Egyptian (man or woman) who thinks nawal el sadawy is a "representative of the lower middle class"

btw, I met Ahdaf Sueif before: very respectable and down to earth lady: the complete opposite of nawal el sadawy .

Posts: 129 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe those links are useful: http://www.hf.uib.no/smi/pao/kofoed.html http://www.biu.ac.il/SOC/besa/meria/journal/2001/issue1/jv5n1a6.html

------------------
youregypt forum … your convenient answer to your question about Egypt

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
quote:
Hi demiana,

I met Nawal El Saadawy two years ago, when she was giving a lecture to 250 Arabic/Egyptian/canadian women.

I was disappointed because I felt her distant and impersonal while giving her lecture, as opposed to her passionate aggressive works, exposing injustice and barbaric crimes against women.

I felt she was not being as convincing as her writings, and asked her why this colder attitude and her answer was, and I'm not joking:

fein el sahhafah? mesh ma3aool kidah!
Not enough Press here!!!!!!

Nevertheless, some of her works are worth reading for sure....

I have to agree with both Monica and Ayman, I have met , talked and even worked with her, and I am not a fan neither. She is very competitive, the word collaboration is not in her dictionary, and , in my opinion, can not play a practical role in building the feminist movement in Egypt, due to her poor communication and interpersonal skills. She does not represent a figure, symbol, or a role model even among Egyptian Feminists. However, her writings were pioneer at that time, and some of her presented ideas and debates worth reading.

Cheers

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com