EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Something less boring (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Something less boring
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK people, it looks like some of you think this forum is boring, and that interesting people are not posting here.

To show them it is not true - and to give the forum a bit of much-needed sparkle - please choose an interesting topic about living in Egypt

Movies
Clubs
Finding a job and keeping it
Food recipes
Music
Sailing on the Nile
Where to go on dates

Anything that has to do with the life of real people living in Egypt

I mean LIVING, not VISITING.
So sad stories about bad boys in resorts do not qualify.

OK, let's have some fun!

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, since I enjoy cooking so much I can start with food recipes.
I have a problem with brownies, I never seem to get them right, even after trying 5 different recipes.
Anyone got a good recipe for them.
I'm willing to trade it for my cheesecake recipe, I'm known to make a fabulous cheesecake(I'm a 20 year old egyptian boy, many people may find that amusing)

------------------

Posts: 169 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check this link for places where many Egyptian people, living in Cairo or Alexandria go to, hang-out, for dates or with groups of friends. http://www.yallabina.com

Each restaurant, bar, bistro, Cafe, is described including prices.
Also if you check the 'Safety in Cairo' thread, on Visiting Egypt, you will find a few pictures of some of the places on this website, like Harris café and Café Riche.

Click on :http://www.yallabina.com/culture/
For Musical concerts in April.

And if you like Jazz:

Cairo Jazz Club
Tel: 3459939
197, 26th July st. Agouza.

Enjoy!!

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 26 April 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by focus683:
well, since I enjoy cooking so much I can start with food recipes.
I have a problem with brownies, I never seem to get them right, even after trying 5 different recipes.
Anyone got a good recipe for them.
I'm willing to trade it for my cheesecake recipe, I'm known to make a fabulous cheesecake(I'm a 20 year old egyptian boy, many people may find that amusing)

What's amusing about a guy that likes cooking?? Good on you I say. Anyway, I have a brownie recipe...it always works for me. So, here goes.
250g softened butter.
500g sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
125g dark chocolate
125g sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
125g chopped nuts (almonds are best I find)

Cream half of the butter with the sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until light. stir in the vanilla. Put the leftover butter and the chocolate in a basin (heatproof) and stir until melted. Cool and then add with the butter and sugar mix. Then, stir in the flour, salt and nuts. Put into a greased shallow tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 45 mins. Let it cool and cut into squares and eat!! Yum yum...

Posts: 293 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lori, when you live in Egypt, most of the time you are a member in a Sporting club like:

Heliopolis Sporting Club

Gezira Sporting CLub

El- Ahly
Egyptian Soccer team called El Ahly, they wear the red shirt!!! and they ROCK..most of the time!

Zamalek
Same as above. The soccer team wears white shirts.

Maadi

Yacht Club

Equestrian Club

Shooting Club

Smouha, Alexandria

To enter one of those clubs if you are not a member you need a member to invite you. I am not sure if they SELL the 'carnets' or booklets, for foreigners, though.

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In The Name of Food:
A dear friend of mine sent me this recipe. It is a splendid Russian soup I adore: here goes..
Borscht
Prep: 10 min, Cook: 1:15.

* 2 tsp. oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 celery ribs, chopped
* 13 ounces beets, trimmed and chopped
* 1/4 lb. white cabbage, shredded
* 3-3/4 cups vegetable stock
* 1 Tbs. vinegar
* 1 bay leaf
* 3 Tbs. water, approximately

Heat oil in heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and celery 4-5 minutes until softened. Add beets and cabbage. Stir in stock, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 hour. Cool slightly, remove bay leaf and purée in a blender or food processor. Return to the pan, adding water if too thick. Reheat and serve.
Soup it Up

Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No offense Giggle Girl....but while your recipe is no doubt fantastic, I would prefer that recipes posted be posted by people that have actually accomplished cooking them in Egypt. That way if I need to know where to buy an ingredient you can tell me. If I have a question regarding my gas oven or stove, it too can be answered.
So, in light of that thought, where do I get essence of vanilla and the Dark Chocolate in Cairo? I don't doubt that they are here, but what store carries them, and are they printed in English as such? Or what do I ask for in Arabic?
And as long as I'm asking....is there such a thing here as Baking Soda? I mean like good old Arm and Hammer? What's it called? When I go for Baking Powder, that is even difficult to get the right stuff...what they sell here as Baking Powder is sweet, isn't it?

Also, do you guys really use a scale to weigh out the grams of each ingredient? How many cups is all that equal to? (<---- sez the metrically challenged American)

quote:
Originally posted by GiggleGirl:

What's amusing about a guy that likes cooking?? Good on you I say. Anyway, I have a brownie recipe...it always works for me. So, here goes.
250g softened butter.
500g sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
125g dark chocolate
125g sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
125g chopped nuts (almonds are best I find)

Cream half of the butter with the sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until light. stir in the vanilla. Put the leftover butter and the chocolate in a basin (heatproof) and stir until melted. Cool and then add with the butter and sugar mix. Then, stir in the flour, salt and nuts. Put into a greased shallow tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 45 mins. Let it cool and cut into squares and eat!! Yum yum...

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 27 April 2004).]

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
Lori, when you live in Egypt, most of the time you are a member in a Sporting club

Yeah ... if you have enough money ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Debbie, Apparently u don't cook. These ingredients you're talking about are available at every major supermarket in town. I know where to get them.

Any way, my cheesecake recipe:
Layer 1:
Crush 1 small pack of Digestive biscuits into crumbs, and mix with a small pack of butter(about 250 gm). Spread in pan.
Layer 2:
Mix 1 tin of Nestle Cream, 2 sachets of Dream Whip Cream Chantilly powder, 1 pack of Philadelphia cream cheese (or 1 six piece pack of Kiri) and 1 sachet of gelatin powder dissolved in half a cup of hot water (I usually use any yellow jelly available like mango, banana, pinneapple,etc., gives them a better taste). Beat them together untill thick enough and spread over layer 1.

Put in fridge untill the cream is thick and holding, and Walla! enjoy!!

(You can put a third layer of strwaberry or cherry jelly if you want to, I usually do that)

------------------

Posts: 169 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Debbie come ooon, all this stuff is available almost everywhere in Cairo! Try Alfa or Carrefoure if you hate searching deep. For vanilla just ask for ... vanilla. As for dark chocolate ask for "cooking chocolate". I like to cook too (and I am an Egyptian guy if you are the stereotypical kind). I love to make experiments with risotto, and when I get that right maybe I will work as a chef.

I am going to talk about cinemas. There are tonnes in Cairo but only a few are any good. My most favourite is Osman Group in Maadi (el-Bandar) it's very clean, the people watch silently, and the sound system is good. Galaxy in Manial is also good but the rooms are so small and sometimes the people do talk a lot (and it's not less expensive than OG). There's also family cinema in Maadi, it's new and fairly good with seven screens. But for some reason it's not as good as OG (but less expensive). Tell me what your favourite is everyone.

P.S. For all reasons avoid Odion in downtown, I once tried to watch "Crouching tiger, hidden dragon" there and I swear I didn't hear a word because all the "shabab rewesh" were testing their ringtones inside. I had to watch the film again in OG.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sporting club is a snobby subject. I'd rather stick to the lovely subject of food.

How abou something local, yummy and light ..

... LIKE RECIPES FOR BAMYA WITH EVERYTHING!!!

HELP EGYPTIANS! I have a box of frozen bamya in my fridge from my Syrian friend and have no idea how to cook them , they look quite different from the bamya my Mom cooks

HELP!!!

------------------
sandal_wood@hotmail.com

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[BTW Not snobbish nowadays to belong to a Sporting club in Egypt, TRUST me!!!]

quote:
Originally posted by Lori:
Sporting club is a snobby subject. I'd rather stick to the lovely subject of food.

HELP EGYPTIANS! I have a box of frozen bamya in my fridge from my Syrian friend and have no idea how to cook them , they look quite different from the bamya my Mom cooks

HELP!!!

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 27 April 2004).]

focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
and i thought i was the only boy in egypt interested in culinary.
Welcome to the club kimo, I'm really happy i found someone else.

------------------

GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
the people watch silently.

Really? They watch silently? That's incrediable. I don't have that in my local cinema in the UK. There are always teenagers giggling, fat men rustling sweet papers, the inevitable phone rining (even though mobiles are banned) and romantic couples sucking each other's tonsils out instead of watching the film. LOL we could do with more cinemas like the one you describe!!

Posts: 293 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Here is a way of cooking bamia. There are more ways, with no meat for example and no tomato paste.

6 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil.
2 lb (1 kg) stewing lamb or beef, cut into 1 in cubes.
2 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 cup (6oz/185 g) peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup stock (beef) or water, or as needed
salt and freshly ground pepper
1-1 1/2 lb (500-750 g) bamia
juice of 1 lemon

Instructions:
Note:
This can be prepared with lamb or beef. Serve with rice.

Preheat an oven to 325 F (165 C)

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 4 tablespoons of the butter or oil. Working in batches, add the meat and fry, turning, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer to a stew pot.

Add the onions to the fat remaining in the frying pan, and saute over medium heat until tender and translucent, 8-10 mins. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, tomatoes, tomato paste, the 1 cup stock. Stir well. Pour over the meat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and let it simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 1 1/2 Hrs. Taste and adjust the seasonings.

In a saute pan over medium heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons butter or oil Add the bamia and saute for 3 mins, stirring gently. Arrange the bamia on top of the meat. Sprinkle the lemon juice evenly over the surface. Re-cover and return at medium heat for 35 -40 minutes longer. Add stock or water if the mixture seems too dry. Serve the De'eyet "BAMIA" piping hot.

quote:
Originally posted by Lori:

HELP!!!

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 27 April 2004).]

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Debbie, Apparently u don't cook. These ingredients you're talking about are available at every major supermarket in town. I know where to get them.

Well thanks so much for your help focus. Next time I need something I'll remember YOU know where to get it....you might not bother telling anybody, but focus knows where. GEEZ!

Now Kimo, I do believe Alfa may have it, but do you think the help there speaks enough English for me to really walk up to them and say "cooking Chocolate" and they will know what I want? Wanna bet? Also, is Vanilla the universal word for vanilla too?
Do you two guys that know so much about it have brand names you could share so I can be sure I'm getting what I want? And is the vanilla liquid? I seriously have not seen anything near the spices (which is where it would be where I'm from) that says vanilla on the bottle. I'm not saying it's not there, I'm saying I haven't seen it. If you are so smart about it, tell me what section to look in because again, I find most of the help at these grocery stores are very English challenged and my Arabic is slightly worse than their English.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 30 May 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kat.. not to mention the kharsho Soup.
Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Think I have to check the spelling and my cooking books.. but maybe I meant Solianka
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Eih el 7alawa deeh kolah? ( this is wonderful)
Very impressive indeed ya jag!

quote:
Originally posted by jaguar:
Think I have to check the spelling and my cooking books.. but maybe I meant Solianka

jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Kat...That's it what I meant: the spicy soup from Georgia and not Solianka. You edited your post after mine, so it might look a bit confusing.
I will post the recipe once I get it.
Monica... simply trying to impress you

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by jaguar:
Monica... simply trying to impress you

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 28 April 2004).]

jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
kat..Obviously I don't read or else I answer the unedited post.. thanks for the recipe.
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Debbie I don't wanna bet, I don't know if they speak English, I never tried that one. So yeah you have a point there. But come on you've been in Egypt all these years and you are still a tourist at heart. You can't do shopping yet??? :-) The point is Debbie you don't need to go to Alpha, this is in most groceries!

For vanilla, I don't know what section exactly because I (blush) don't concentrate that much. But here are a couple of brands: Cook's (these come in small packets and are heavily sweetened, and Abu Ali (comes in a small jar and is very concentrated, serious sh*t). For liquid vanilla try "ro7 el-vanilia" I think that's what they call it. And it's usualy a small, obscure bottle (and yes next to spices) and is usualy marked only in Arabic (WHICH YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO READ BY NOW FOR GOD'S SAKE). If you want fresh Vanilla pods, it can be hard to get but I think a few places have it. In Carrefoure I think you can find the cooking choc in the area around the Turkish coffee grinders, you know that area with the strong smell? If not then try near butter in the fridges (I guess that's where it is in Alfa). I will have to check this with someone who actualy knows her way around.

Focus, there are a lot of us out there LOL. What is the problem with your brownies, ours are always just fine. Sometimes they turn out a bit soggy but mostly they are very good.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
kat you're funny! but you're right when a man cooks, it is a real pleasure in the kitchen ~ cooking together or taking turns ~

But isn't it impressive though that in Egypt, you can find all these ingredients.

BTW, this thread is great Lori, the non Egyptians that move to Egypt, live in Egypt, can still have their own country's meals in their home away from home.

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 28 April 2004).]

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 28 April 2004).]

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:

Now Kimo, I do believe Alfa may have it, but do you think the help there speaks enough English for me to really walk up to them and say "cooking Chocolate" and they will know what I want? Wanna bet? Also, is Vanilla the universal word for vanilla too?

Debbie, I have a great brownies recipe that I've been using for almost ten years now. I'll bring it back to Cairo with me and make some for you.

And you don't necessarily need dark chocolate for it (which is hard to find unless you buy the really expensive kind from Lindt), you can always make them with cocoa powder.

As for vanilla, I think it's the same word in Arabic, at least in classical, but you might have to ask an Egyptian for the pronunciation because it also means shirt (like the shirts soccer teams wear) ...
I have not seen natural vanilla anywhere in Cairo, don't like the liquid stuff, I prefer to scratch the stuff out of the pod or buy it in powdered form without any additives.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

For vanilla, I don't know what section exactly because I (blush) don't concentrate that much. But here are a couple of brands: Cook's (these come in small packets and are heavily sweetened, and Abu Ali (comes in a small jar and is very concentrated, serious sh*t). For liquid vanilla try "ro7 el-vanilia" I think that's what they call it. And it's usualy a small, obscure bottle (and yes next to spices) and is usualy marked only in Arabic (WHICH YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO READ BY NOW FOR GOD'S SAKE). If you want fresh Vanilla pods, it can be hard to get but I think a few places have it. In Carrefoure I think you can find the cooking choc in the area around the Turkish coffee grinders, you know that area with the strong smell? If not then try near butter in the fridges (I guess that's where it is in Alfa). I will have to check this with someone who actualy knows her way around.

Thank you for this Kimo. It actually is VERY enlightening. I've NEVER seen anything but liquid vanilla extract or vanilla beans. When you say "a small packet", does that mean it's a powder? Now that is just plain weird for someone that has never seen it that way.
Regarding "any grocery store".... I still say WRONG. I have a little one around the corner from my house that is pretty good, but still can't find it in there, but then what you said about the cooking chocolate being near coffee grinders or in the cooler might explain it. Why would you put dark chocolate near the coffee or in the cooler by the butter? This is my problem, I was trying to apply some logic to the idea of where to look for it.

And for those that are laughing at me because I don't or rather HAVEN'T cooked a lot since I moved here, you might be finally figuring out that the reason is that I generally couldn't find the ingredients I wanted. I gave up. I wasn't about to buy one of everything to taste it and figure out what it was. The dairy case at any grocery store is a huge mystery to me.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the metro near genera mall has a huge spice section...like a mini spice market wt buckets of the stuff.

for brownies, the liquid stuff is fine...they sell the same brands as in the US (more expensive, but it's so small it'll last you).

cooking chocolate you can find in metro as well...look next to the baking cake stuff which is usually always placed to the nutella/jam/honey section

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
The best spice place in Heliopolis is Ragab El-Attar near triumph square.
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
This is my problem, I was trying to apply some logic to the idea of where to look for it.

LOL ... I don't think applying logic to the idea of where to look for things doesn't work in Cairo.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
oops ... double post

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 30 April 2004).]

kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
Thank you for this Kimo. It actually is VERY enlightening. I've NEVER seen anything but liquid vanilla extract or vanilla beans. When you say "a small packet", does that mean it's a powder? Now that is just plain weird for someone that has never seen it that way.
Regarding "any grocery store".... I still say WRONG. I have a little one around the corner from my house that is pretty good, but still can't find it in there, but then what you said about the cooking chocolate being near coffee grinders or in the cooler might explain it. Why would you put dark chocolate near the coffee or in the cooler by the butter? This is my problem, I was trying to apply some logic to the idea of where to look for it.

And for those that are laughing at me because I don't or rather HAVEN'T cooked a lot since I moved here, you might be finally figuring out that the reason is that I generally couldn't find the ingredients I wanted. I gave up. I wasn't about to buy one of everything to taste it and figure out what it was. The dairy case at any grocery store is a huge mystery to me.

hehehe.

Well elementary dear Debbie, you put chocolate near coffee because when you smell coffee you remember Brazil which is next to Bolivia which is a major producer of cocoa. And you put it near butter because butter is made of milk and chocolate goes into orios and orios are dunked in milk. What is it with you??

I invite you to a shopping expedition to Carrefoure some day and maybe we can dig up some of the stuff you need.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:

Well elementary dear Debbie, you put chocolate near coffee because when you smell coffee you remember Brazil which is next to Bolivia which is a major producer of cocoa. And you put it near butter because butter is made of milk and chocolate goes into orios and orios are dunked in milk.

Thanks for this insight into Egyptian logic, Kimo.

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
quote:
hehehe.

Well elementary dear Debbie, you put chocolate near coffee because when you smell coffee you remember Brazil which is next to Bolivia which is a major producer of cocoa. And you put it near butter because butter is made of milk and chocolate goes into orios and orios are dunked in milk. What is it with you??

I invite you to a shopping expedition to Carrefoure some day and maybe we can dig up some of the stuff you need.

I love it Kimo...thank you! That is GREAT. And, I would LOVE to take you up on your Carrefoure shopping adventure. You can call yourself Casual Carrefoure and start a business! LOL

focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for focus683     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Katrina, u can't just get any recipe off the net and think u can make it. Many ingredients are not available in egypt (and for God's sake it contains red wine).

Giggle girl your brownies recipe was marvellous. I finally got to make good brownies.

Kimo I live in maadi within a 5 minute drive to Carrefoure. Can I go with you and Debbie and treat you both to a Cinnabon?

------------------

shumza
Member # 913

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shumza   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cinnabon? Did someone say Cinnabon?

[This message has been edited by shumza (edited 01 May 2004).]

Posts: 360 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
Can I go with you and Debbie and treat you both to a Cinnabon ... Cinnabon ... Cinnabon ... Cinnabon ... nnabon ... bon ... bon .....

Sure focus please come, and not for any materialistic selfish hot from the oven overpriced piece of heaven reason, no not at all. Ahem.

BoBBoSS
Member # 3456

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoBBoSS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cinnabon, i like it too much , in fact folks, it is a good idea, i will go and bring it now,
any one wanna share one with me (lol)?

------------------
BoBBoSS

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
. Many ingredients are not available in egypt (and for God's sake it contains red wine).[/B]

I never had a problem getting any cooking ingredients here ... and red wine is available, too.

katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
quote:
Katrina, u can't just get any recipe off the net and think u can make it. Many ingredients are not available in egypt (and for God's sake it contains red wine).

Giggle girl your brownies recipe was marvellous. I finally got to make good brownies.

Kimo I live in maadi within a 5 minute drive to Carrefoure. Can I go with you and Debbie and treat you both to a Cinnabon?

Focus and Kimo.... YUM! You got a date! I can see that maybe the next ES meeting will be outside Cinnabon, huh?

What a great idea. When do we go?

And Focus, for this, I'll even forgive you for the snotty stuff you said about my not cooking. LOL

BoBBoSS
Member # 3456

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for BoBBoSS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is up to u debbie , the ball in your court, but u know something? outside cinnebon sounds sweet (lol).

------------------
BoBBoSS

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focus683
Member # 4013

Rate Member
Alright Debbie, if that's what it takes to forgive me, I'm totally ready.
I didn't mean to offend u, sorry. I'll also show you where u can get everything u need so that you would also know where to get them.
Just email me any time u n kimo and set a time to meet there (preferably during a weekday when it's not overcrowded with snobbish arrogant teens). looking forward to it.

i apologize also to katrina. didn't realize people cook with wine in egypt. none of my business even if they did.

any other person here got an interesting recipe they're willing to share?

------------------

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just email me any time u n kimo and set a time to meet there (preferably during a weekday when it's not overcrowded with snobbish arrogant teens). looking forward to it.

Need an email address to get this going please. If you are shy, mine is Dds71@aol.com

P.S. I'm good with a weekday. I'm free this week until Thursday (during the day).

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com