EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Female circumcision

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Female circumcision
Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if this brutal practice takes place in Egypt as it does in Somalia and Sudan?
Posts: 343 | From: Wiltshire, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it does but not to the same extent as in some other African couintries. Here in Egypt it is really a clitidorectomy (spelling?) not the full removal of the vulva and labia. However, in the south around 95% of girls between the ages of 6 months and 3 years are treated in this way usually at the insistence of their mothers. In the north around Cairo, it is also practiced but the figures suggest that it is somewhere around 65% . In the household I lived in 100% of the females in the family had been 'cut'.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so barbaric.When my Egyptian friend told me this still took place in Egypt I did not believe him.I assume this is so there is not a problem with a daughter "sleeping around", because she would have no sexual feelings. This is a violation of womens rights. It makes me so angry!
Posts: 343 | From: Wiltshire, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asiaq
Member # 4323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for asiaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ge Ge:
This is so barbaric.When my Egyptian friend told me this still took place in Egypt I did not believe him.I assume this is so there is not a problem with a daughter "sleeping around", because she would have no sexual feelings. This is a violation of womens rights. It makes me so angry!

Yes and no sex before married
And tell me why when the devorced rate in egypt are so heig it seams to me it dos not help (for the sake of family moral)
No point that wemen suffering circumced
some girls even died are there any moral in that

Posts: 363 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cappa
Member # 4926

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cappa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

its absolutely barabaric and unnecessary....

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this is a very tricky subject to talk about, but hey since it was brought up, I feel obligated to talked about it

Very short history Lesson:

Circumcision of the female is not a new subject. Early writings testify that this problem was known and discussed by physicians of the Roman Empire. Bryk in 1935 compiled a comprehensive book on the history and practice of male and female circumcision. The 265 references abstracted in his text cover the circumcision of the female from the ancient Egyptian era (approximately 1500 B.C.) to the present day. The value of this procedure in improving function has been accepted by various cultures for the past 3,500 years.

Indications for Circumcision (Also known as Female Gentile Mutilation)
In general terms, the main indications for circumcision are: (1) functional need - lack of ability to have a climax or ability to have one only with considerable difficulty, (2) an anatomic or mechanical factor that needs correction.
When does this problem present itself and become our concern and responsibility as physicians? It is advisable to investigate sexual compatibility if unexplained symptoms of a psychosomatic type are elicited or if the problem of divorce is present. If there is no shyness or embarrassment on the doctor's part and his attitude is correct, the patient is seldom embarrassed. Often a patient appreciates being questioned on this subject because she had thought this might be her problem. If a patient is not sure that she has ever experienced a climax, it is probable that she has not.
Patients with psychosomatic illness and marital problems make up a good portion of all types of medical practice. If these problems are based on abnormal anatomy, and it is corrected, these patients are often permanently cured. This cure is explained by the common origin of the primitive urges and of the subconscious, from which psychosomatic illnesses develop.
Failure to elicit proper history and to examine patients carefully is illustrated by the following case. Mrs. B. G., age 34, had five divorces before coming to my office as a patient. She was found to have a rather severe redundancy and phimosis, and had never experienced a climax. After being circumcised, she remarried the last man she had divorced and has had no further sexual problem. She stated that she "wasted four perfectly good husbands." While having the five marriages and divorces, she had a great number of psychosomatic symptoms and illnesses. During this time she had been examined and treated by a number of physicians. None of them had told her of the severe phimosis and redundancy or suggested its correction. She has had no recurrence of psychosomatic illness since the circumcision five years ago. No tranquilizers, injections or other treatments were used.
A difficult phase of the problem is presented when the wife of a recurrent ulcer patient states, "What difference does it make that I do not enjoy sex life if I do not refuse my husband"?
In the earlier years of married life this form of prostitution is possibly not too harmful. A number of problems will probably develop in time however, because this practice is contrary to our instincts. If a man is legally married to a woman but not "mated" with her, one of four complications will probably develop: (1) a divorce, (2) another woman, (3) excessive use of alcohol or (4) suppression of normal urges with psychosomatic illness.
Two Common Abnormalities
The two common problems that make the highly sensitive area of the clitoris unable to be stimulated are phimosis and redundancy. Sebaceous glands about the clitoris attempt to prevent adhesions of the prepuce to it. This sometimes fails and the clitoris is tightly adherent to the prepuce. This defect is recorded as 1 plus or 25 per cent of the normal surface adherent, to 4 plus or complete coverage. A prepuce for the protection of the clitoris is normal and useful, but if it is excessive and extends past the eminence of clitoris it can prevent contact and is harmful. This excess is also classified from 1 to 4 plus. The greatest amount of redundant prepuce I have observed extended approximately one inch past the clitoris so that it is classified 4 plus. Thus, a 1 plus would represent approximately one-fourth inch of redundant tissue.

female Circumcision is the removal of the excess foreskin for the female,
the ORIGINQL idea is ( as in male Circumcision) to remove the extra skin that hangs out and surrounding the ( could some times cause serious infections), and of course one side effect of this operation is the subsequent loss of the sex drive since this excess skin is very dense with nerves ending that is responsible the sensation and

A quick Sexual Organs Anatomy Lesson :
The female and male sex organs are almost identical anatomically with the very slight difference that the female is flipped inward rather than outwards as in a male,
withen the first 2 months after conception, the human genetile are identical for males and femailes alike, there is the Glens, Epithelial Tag, Coronal , Foreskin, Urethral Fold, Urogential Grove, Lateral buttress (CORPS, OR SHAFT), Labio-scrotal Swelling.
During pregnancy ( from this point forward the unborn baby will start developing based on the Genes it have either as a mail or a female ( well you know < the XY, and the XX chromosomes ) if developing to be a male, the gentile will grow outward to form the penis, Glans pines, Foreskin, Shaft (the body of the penis CORPUS) and Scrotum,
And if it growing to be a female it will grow inward to form Corpus Clitoris, Foreskin, Glen Clitoris, urethral Meatus, Labium Minor, Labium Major, Virginia,(Vaginal Tube)

Both the foreskin and the Glans (Pines or Clitoris) are very sensitive and are very dense with nerves ending (and this is why both normally have a darker color (because the skin is much thinner, and more blood flow in to support all the nerve endings)
You know a circumcised guy always last longer (simply because he has fewer nerves to carry the signal to his brain so his orgasm would come much later)
The problem is in the foreskin, it is covering the Galns and could cause serious infections,
As in male circumcision the foreskin is removed, it results in 2 things, it is cleaner (the chances for infections is dramatically reduced), and (everyone knows, last longer)
In female circumcision < the same rule apply , but with a very high risk of course, the risk of losing most of the sensation and sometimes the loss of the sexual drive all together , and this is normally caused by the excessive removal of the foreskin , with the clitoris itself , and by doing that removing anything that carry the sensation signal to the brain , and of course result in the woman not falling anything at all I have mentioned above that sometimes the operation is preformed to full grownup women to enhance their sex lives and enrich it < not to destroy it as everyone thinks

Now back to history and traditions,
Based on all what I have mentioned before, and mostly not very well understood by locals, and maintain societies, they realized one thing, when a circumcision is preformed for a female, she is less venerable to emotional stress and is not always on heat , and for ancient societies this is a great advantage specially if the husband travels a lot or a soldier, and the circumcised females are more faithful to there husbands , yes I Agree their may be out of ignorance, or naivety, but no one can deny that there is a valid reason for this practice,
The problem is when someone decide that the complete removal of both the clan clitoris and the foreskin is advised , because this is the one thing that will KILL any sexual sensation in the woman .

Enough said, already , there is nothing wrong in the practice itself, it is only how it is preformed and why

Note: I could have included some pictures, but some may find it offending , so I decide to keep them out of the forum, if any one want to see those figures, email me I'll send you the link

[This message has been edited by welsafty (edited 13 August 2004).]

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Thankyou welsafty very interesting.Nevertherless the prectice is a violation of human rights.As I stated to my friend god made women like this and no one has the right to change this.Not her mother, father,husband not any one.If a women wants this process carried out it should be her decision when she is over the age of sixteen and not between the ages of 3 months to 8 years.In England there is imprisonment for any parent that takes their daughter abroad for this operation. If anyone is interested please read Desert Flower by Waris Dirie.She is a Somalian and was circumcised at the age of four.She had every part taken away and was left with a pin hole.The process was carried out by a woman in the village with a rusty razor blade.Her father tried to sell her at the age of twelve to a sixty year old man.She escaped the marriage found her way to England has become a top model and campaignes tirelessly for this crime against humanity.I feel so strongly about this issue that when I come to Egypt to live permanently I will campaign to bring legislation to have this practice stopped on the 130 million women worldwide that it is performed on without their permission, it is so ignorant.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welsafy your reply sounds very 'medical'but it is very odd that anyone medical would think that circumcision controls sex drive in either males or females. I am not a medical person but surely everyone these days knows from basic biology classes that male/female sex drive is driven by their respective hormones. Why else would male prisoners sometimes be given drugs to control testosterone production. Does anyone seriously believe that cutting a woman will reduce her desire to mate at ovulation.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for welsafty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ge Ge;
when someone accuse someone of being ignorant, they have to read about the subject, and get educated before making such accusations, otherwise they may fall in the same trap, and prove there ignorance in the process.

wait a minute , I am not saying that to attack you, or accuse you of anything,
I know how strongly you feel about this issue, and of course I understand why, just because you have formed a quick opinion based on emotions, doesn’t mean that everyone else is wrong

what happened to this Somalia celebrity of yours is tragic, but still is not an excuse to prevent people from doing what they think is best for their daughters
Circumspection is a practice that is being preformed for both males and females,
if a little boy was subjected to the circumcisions under similar circumstances like this Somalian MODEL, and end up losing all his sensation in his pines, we will feel saddened and effected by his tragedy, but no one will decide to prevent the practice all together, and no one would say that a parent who decide to have his son circumcised have violated his little boy's rights,
there is a case I remember in the states about one guy who have converted to Judaism and decide to get circumcised, he went to the hospital and decide to have a Jewish doctor perform on him< when he walk up he found that the doctor removed the whole head of his pines, and left him with only the Body, and the operation resulted in him loosing all sensation, and could never reach full friction, the guy afterwards have decided that is inhuman to do such practice, and tried to do something to prevent it from ever being preformed in the states, the result is that everyone laughed at him including the Christian judge ( Christiansen normally don’t get circumcised) who have judged in his favor in the civil lawsuit he had against the doctor who scared him for life

Some people defiantly are subjected to (STUPIDITY, and sometimes negligence) in the circumcision, and serious mistakes could happen that could result in everlasting damaging effect, and those are individual cases, that have to be looked into INDIVEDUALLY,
The solution is not to stop the practice all together, but to educate people about it, and let them take the decision after they know how many things could go wrong , and tell them the serious consequences if the operation was overdone.

I don’t like the idea of a female being circumcised, and will never subject my daughter for such a thing, but still I cannot call it inhuman, and cannot demand for it to be stopped, the only thing I hope to happed to people to get educated about it, to take rational decision , and if it is perform it should be perform only to reach the medical benefit from it, not to remove any feeling from the poor little girl

Posts: 785 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,the first Roman historian to record female circumcision was Strabo. We have no proof it was praticed widescale in ancient Egypt,but modern day rural Egyptians pratice the line of female circumcision. In northern Sudan amung the Nubians it's actually more severe where the women is actually sewn up only to be broken on her wedding night.

All these pratices have pre-Islamic antecedants and are not connected to Semetic Arabs in any way. Both Copts and Muslims in rural areas pratice female circumcision.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Welsafy your reply sounds very 'medical'but it is very odd that anyone medical would think that circumcision controls sex drive in either males or females. I am not a medical person but surely everyone these days knows from basic biology classes that male/female sex drive is driven by their respective hormones. Why else would male prisoners sometimes be given drugs to control testosterone production. Does anyone seriously believe that cutting a woman will reduce her desire to mate at ovulation.

penny , the loss of the sexual organs does not mean the loss of the reproduction system , and yes you are right , everything is controlled by hormones, and when it comes to sex the dominant hormones are testosterone , and estrogen

a circumcised woman will not lose her internal organs, and will keep her ovaries, and her body will remain produce the healthy dose of estrogen, which will case all the changes in her body , and even feelings,
but the thing is when the female looses the part that interpret external stimulation, he body is still producing hormones that effects her brain , and she will have bodily needs, and urges, because of her circumcision, she can not enough stimulation that will satisfy her needs, and as a result , all the sexual drive and urges she will naturally have ( because of the hormones ) will be miss interpreted and will only be hot flashes, and unexplained nervousness.
not all circumcised women loose all feeling, and only for a woman that have lost all the [foreskin and the Glans Clitoris] will lose ALMOST ALL stimulation from sex] and because she will never get any stimulation [or very very very little] she will not develop any desire for it in the future and will be only interpreted as a disgusting, and unpleasant

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welsafty that is even more shocking than I had previously understood. No wonder so many marriages fail and infidelity rates are so high.

Personaly I believe a good sex life in marriage is the glue that holds it all together, no it is not the most important thing but without it most marriages soon fall apart or are very vunerable to external relationships/affairs.

I know the prevalance of circumcision is declining in the North of Egypt but so sad that rates are still so high in the South.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Welsafty, I can assure you I have read many writings on the subject of FGM. But my point is I do not think it is anyones right to cut away a part of their daughters body,and why is this done.As you have not had this done but the Somalian 'celebrity" has surely she is in a better position to know how it feels is she not. People need educating.Cutting away part of what belongs to them will not make someone faithful.It just denies them of a more fulfilled life.Of course I would not know but I think we are born like this for a reason are we not.
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Welsafty that is even more shocking than I had previously understood. No wonder so many marriages fail and infidelity rates are so high.

Personaly I believe a good sex life in marriage is the glue that holds it all together, no it is not the most important thing but without it most marriages soon fall apart or are very vunerable to external relationships/affairs.

I know the prevalance of circumcision is declining in the North of Egypt but so sad that rates are still so high in the South.

totally agree with you about the role of sex in marriage and that it is the glue that hold it together, not the foundation of marriage and it have to be good for the marriage to be strong.

welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
quote:
Welsafty, I can assure you I have read many writings on the subject of FGM. But my point is I do not think it is anyones right to cut away a part of their daughters body,and why is this done.As you have not had this done but the Somalian 'celebrity" has surely she is in a better position to know how it feels is she not. People need educating.Cutting away part of what belongs to them will not make someone faithful.It just denies them of a more fulfilled life.Of course I would not know but I think we are born like this for a reason are we not.

Exactly < we all act upon the extent of our knowledge < you don’t know what is the effect, I don’t know the results, maybe she does,
Then if someone going to lobby against it, let it be her, not me
as I said before, I don’t approve it, but I understand what it is (before I jump to a conclusions) and understand why people do it

I don’t conceder them criminals for doing so, but I will never accept something like that o happen to my daughter, simply because I want her to enjoy her life with her husband

well the last part is this one about

quote:
Of course I would not know but I think we are born like this for a reason are we not.

yes we are born this way, also the male is born with the foreskin, that is routinely removed, and with the testimony of doctors, males, and females, it is much better to remove it, because, it is cleaner, safer, and enhances the sex life of the male, and the female alike ( since she is the one who end up getting more when the man remove the extra skin.)
it is not only about how we are been created, because we are made to sweet and smell like animals, and we are also created to have our nails and hair grow out of control, but we still do something about it to remain clean , and healthy
if you font like it ( just like I do, al what you have to do is to make sure it doesn’t happen in your household, and educate your kids about it < not condemn people who do it for being criminals
than is all what I am saying

Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
I am not saying anyone is a criminal.What I am saying is that there should be a choice.To have or not to have. My body my decision male or female.It is a violation of human rights for whatever reason it is done.It is barbaric and cannot be defended.
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read an article written by Waris Diery in which she said that she will never forgive those that cut her and doomed her to having orgasms that started in her head and ended in her heart. All sexual joy has been denied to her through a rusty razor blade.

Also as the practice results in the cutting through a major vein then there is the possibility of bleeding to death.

It is truly barabaric and my heart bled for all the little girls in my village that were 'unwell' after they had been sliced.

It is not the same as male circumscision which is simply the removal of a piece of skin. The female circumscision that we read about to reveal the clitoris and heighten pleasure is not the kind that is carried out in the south of Egypt. There the whole bit is lopped off leaving just numb scar tissue.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neelie
Member # 4650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by welsafty:
[B]Ge Ge;
and no one would say that a parent who decide to have his son circumcised have violated his little boy's rights,

I WOULD !!!!!!

Posts: 12 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by neelie:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by welsafty:
[B]Ge Ge;
and no one would say that a parent who decide to have his son circumcised have violated his little boy's rights,

I WOULD !!!!!!

then my point is still valid !!

welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
neelie;
I am just kidding
I do apreciate your openion and respect it

neelie
Member # 4650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsafty:
neelie;
[b]I am just kidding

I do apreciate your openion and respect it [/B]

Thankyou.

I respect everyones beliefs and opinions but when people CHOP BITS OFF THEIR CHILDREN--and I do not care what their excuse is or the gender of the child--- then there is something fundementaly wrong with their interpretation of the scriptures. I believe GOD/ALLAH/JEHOVA made everything how how wanted it to be and for any human being to think that he/she knows better could find themselves in serious trouble on Judgement day. I hold believe in the cleanliness excuse either. Most people have sweaty armpits..Should we go around chopping off childrens arms as a cure for this?
The only reason for surgical intervention to take place is surely a medical reason. I have never heard such 'claptrap'as previously quoted.

Posts: 12 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
what is claptrap ?
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
do you have an earing ?
iof you do, did you have your ears peirced, and if yes, when ???
oh and by the way GOD/ALLAH/Jahova are the same, they are difrent name to the same intity. (the ONe, the allmighty, the creator)

[This message has been edited by welsafty (edited 14 August 2004).]

neelie
Member # 4650

Rate Member
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
quote:
do you have an earing ?
iof you do, did you have your ears peirced, and if yes, when ???
oh and by the way GOD/ALLAH/Jahova are the same, they are difrent name to the same intity. (the ONe, the allmighty, the creator)
[This message has been edited by welsafty (edited 14 August 2004).]

I know GOD/ALLAH/JEVHOVAH ARE SAME. We all Christians, Muslims and Jews take our religon from the decendents of Abraham. Please don't try to educate me as regards Religon. 2004 years of brainwashing has taken care of those needs thankyou.

Yes Welsafty, my ears are pierced, I chose to have them pierced myself when I was old enough to make the decision. I would have been very annoyed had my parents inflicted piercings on me as a child. It is a form of abuse. But haveing said that the holes in my earlobes would have healed up if I had let them --- I couldn't have grown a new clitoris.

[This message has been edited by neelie (edited 14 August 2004).]

[This message has been edited by neelie (edited 14 August 2004).]

neelie
Member # 4650

Rate Member
quote:
what is claptrap ?

Its another way of saying B*ll Sh*t.

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
In the south women are circumscised to control them. My partner would not consider marrying an Egyptian woman that had not been circumscised because he would be too worried about what they might do when he was not around. Many men want to protect their daughters from their own sexuality and so lop it off as early as they can.

How can anyone compare a clitidorectomy with pierced ears. Only a man could be so blase about women's anatomy.

There is nothing anywhere in any scriptures that supports it. It is a barabric practice which unfortunately is encouraged by ignorant men and perpetuated by ignorant women.

How can anyone take a razor blade to a baby???

wilsonkick
Member # 3153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilsonkick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son was born in USA and just before I left the hospital with him (he was in my arms) a nurse ran over and said ''Oh stop he has not been circumcised yet'' I told her he was not being circumcised, she looked at me like I was crazy. She said ''all boys get circumcised'' I said ''well not this one'' she made me sign a form saying I would not let them do this to my child before I could leave! ....... P***** my husband off too, as he wanted his son to be circumcised also!
Posts: 42 | From: isle of man uk | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by wilsonkick:
P***** my husband off too, as he wanted his son to be circumcised also!

soo !! what happend to your husband ?? is he still alive ??

wilsonkick
Member # 3153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilsonkick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes that husband is still alive .......... I think! I divorced him 10 years ago and we hear from him once a year, if my son is in he talks to him if not .. then it can be another year before they talk ... sad man! He looses out on a lovely boy! (who has his fore skin in tact!)
Posts: 42 | From: isle of man uk | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cappa
Member # 4926

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cappa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hellooo..we're talkin abt FEMALE circumcision, its entirely diffnt anatomy than males....
Posts: 135 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cappa:
hellooo..we're talkin abt FEMALE circumcision, its entirely diffnt anatomy than males....

No we are talking about female genital mutilation. The name says it all

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_love
Member # 5092

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr_love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
salaam, i know that alot of somalia women have it done and i asked one of them (I was havin a meeting for marriage) if she had it done, she told me yes. I asked her does it cause problems with have sexual realation's she said no it make's it better. I dont know if its true coz i didnt marry her
Posts: 1 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
If she had been mutilated then she would have had a pin-head sized vagina and sex would have been very very painful. If this was the case then she was offering another port of entry - if I may use that phrase.
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:

Agreed. I hate to see the practice whitewashed under the term "circumcision". It's barbaric butchering. Period.

Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW Jane, I know it seems like I'm stalking you today. I really don't mean to. Hee hee.
Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilsonkick
Member # 3153

Rate Member
cappa
posted 16 August 2004 06:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cappa .... as circumcision was mentioned in the post i thought i would tell of the experience i had ..... yes i am able to read, and i know this thread is about the practice of female genital mutilation .... i agree that circumcision is not the same but why do ANY of them practices. And just for the record ... go look at many of the posts on the board and you will see that many of them veer off to another subject .... not just this one ..... and not just me ok

Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Mr Love How would your Somalian friend know if sex was better after being circumcised. Surely the process of circumcision is carried out so that there is no sex before marriage so if she was not married how would she know and if she did, well there you go!
cappa
Member # 4926

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for cappa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:

absolutely... i c'd n't agree more..

cappa
Member # 4926

Rate Member
quote:
Mr Love How would your Somalian friend know if sex was better after being circumcised. Surely the process of circumcision is carried out so that there is no sex before marriage so if she was not married how would she know and if she did, well there you go!

this process doesn't prevent sex before marriage...no proof of that wt so ever.
this invasive procedure is just another way to undermine the female and "keep her in her place" ...its suppose to make sex really painful and prevent the experience of sexual pleasure.. with the risk of infections and other complications this procedure has numerous affects on the psychology of the female also..its a human rights violation..

Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by cappa:
this process doesn't prevent sex before marriage...no proof of that wt so ever.
this invasive procedure is just another way to undermine the female and "keep her in her place" ...its suppose to make sex really painful and prevent the experience of sexual pleasure.. with the risk of infections and other complications this procedure has numerous affects on the psychology of the female also..its a human rights violation..

In the book Desert Flower which described the proceedure FGM (made me feel quite sick) Waris Deiry was left with a pin hole so that her husband would know she was a virgin.She suffered from the age of five with infections and when she was 18 she was operated in England to remove infected tissue. She stated that she can only make love with her heart.Please read the book if you can get hold of it,it is so informative

Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In the book Desert Flower which described the proceedure FGM (made me feel quite sick) Waris Deiry was left with a pin hole so that her husband would know she was a virgin.She suffered from the age of five with infections and when she was 18 she was operated in England to remove infected tissue. She stated that she can only make love with her heart.Please read the book if you can get hold of it,it is so informative

I have to disagree, this is one of the worst books that were written on the issue, it is more of autobiography and is so emotional and lacks substantial facts and evidence. I would recommend to read one of a recent publication called Female " circumcision" in Africa, culture , controversy and Change. It is will give you a more insight and you can understand the practice from cultural and anthropological perspective. Another book called " cutting the rose" a informatoive book in a very simplified format.

cheers

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
welsafty
Member # 5051

Rate Member
can you provide me with the names of the authors? where can I find them ??
quote:
Originally posted by Mooly El Din:
I have to disagree, this is one of the worst books that were written on the issue, it is more of autobiography and is so emotional and lacks substantial facts and evidence. I would recommend to read one of a recent publication called Female " circumcision" in Africa, culture , controversy and Change. It is will give you a more insight and you can understand the practice from cultural and anthropological perspective. Another book called " cutting the rose" a informatoive book in a very simplified format.

cheers

maryph
Member # 2005

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To lear more about FMG, I suggest reading "Prisoners of Ritual; An Odyssey into Female Genital Circumcision in Africa" by Hanny Lightfoot-Klein. The New York Times Book Review states that this book is "solid ethnographic research focused on the enigma of female genital mutilation" I found the book to be informative, educational and it presents this sensitive culturally based tradition in a non-judgemental manner.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Akhenaten
Member # 4392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Akhenaten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am afraid I have travelled to many countries and Continents and have found this a violation of human rights also. Many women find it very discomforting and have no sexual urges - their words. I am talking about 100s and 100s of people and I would also agree that it should be a choice.
Posts: 57 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maryph:
To lear more about FMG, I suggest reading "Prisoners of Ritual; An Odyssey into Female Genital Circumcision in Africa" by Hanny Lightfoot-Klein. The New York Times Book Review states that this book is "solid ethnographic research focused on the enigma of female genital mutilation" I found the book to be informative, educational and it presents this sensitive culturally based tradition in a non-judgemental manner.

This is also a very good book

The otehr book that I mentioned is a edited volume, by Bettina Shell _Duncan and Ylva Hernlund. Lynne Rienner publishers

Cheers

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com