EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » DOES IT BENEFIT BRITISH WOMAN TO HAVE A EGYPTIAN PASSPORT ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DOES IT BENEFIT BRITISH WOMAN TO HAVE A EGYPTIAN PASSPORT ?
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WELSHLADYUK   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post now closed thanks to all who helped - once again I repeat info was for a friend and NOT myself.

[This message has been edited by WELSHLADYUK (edited 26 September 2004).]

Posts: 203 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No convoys
Travel on any train
No paying for visa
Egyptian prices
No more dollars on the sleeper train
Egyptian prices in hotels when you are on your own
Affinity to the country

I am going for it

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi WELSHLADYUK!

As far as I understand you can get a residency permit for Egypt if you have a work visa or you are married to an Egyptian, but you can only apply for Egyptian citizenship and thereby a passport åf you are married to an Egyptian. You can check out the basic details here: http://www.mfa.gov.eg/testf.asp (I just tried the link and it looked like the server was down, but I am pretty sure its for Egyptian visas and residency requirements). You could also check out: http://www.egy2000.com/secal.htm or contact the Egyptian Embassy and ask them: Egyptian Embassy, Consular Section, 2 Lowndes Street, London SW1X 9ET. Tel: 0870 005 6715 If anyone can give any more concrete details I would be pleased to hear them too.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you want an Egyptian passport when you live in Wales and only visit the country?
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WELSHLADYUK   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luxorlady you obviously did NOT read the thread properly when I asked for advice from the forum members. Do I detect a hint of criticism ? Where I personally live & how long I've lived there is surely my business.
Posts: 203 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Just an additional remark there was a smala typing error in the original thread, the request is for HER not myself. I have an egyptian work VISA and I do not personally need this facility.
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LLover.. aren't you always targeted!
Have a great day!

Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol_2004
Member # 5088

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol_2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry WELSHLADYUK but you did say you were applying for an ID card. Why? You said before that you waork as a Travel Agent. Why would you bother with only 4-5 weeks leave a year? I smell a rat! Could you possibly one of these ladies that live off benefits and travel to to Egypt every few weeks? Not uncommon as Im sure you are aware.
Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WElshlady. I am sorry that you thought a civil question about why you wanted an identity card was criticism. You asked a question I asked one in return.

I think that Carol might have hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of older women in Luxor who are still too young to claim pensions but live on benefits and income support that they claim from the British Government.

You say on one thread that you live with your parents in North Wales. On another thread that you live half the time in Egypt and the other half in Britain. In another you are looking for part part secretarial work in Cairo. In another that you are a tour leader. In another that you have never had a man in Egypt and yet you know all the pitfalls.

Yes it is none of my business where you live and how long you have lived there. But, if you are so sensative about it then why ask questions on a forum.

You have also asked qusetions about two different men that you may have been lving with. As a small point I would point out that giving out men's names and then saying that they earn their living as male prostitutes to gay men is slander in Egypt as well as in any other country. Are you actively trying to have the men arrested?

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacia
Member # 3188

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welshlady, I am married to an Egyptian and have the residency visa stamp in my American passport. It's great for everything that Akshar stated in an earlier post. Especially good for hotels. It's nice to stay in a classy hotel and not pay the ridiculous prices. If you travel here alot or have the option to get the stamp I'd say that it would definitely be beneficial to you. Basically you get the same benefits as if you were an Egyptian citizen.
Posts: 190 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WELSHLADYUK:
My friend who has recently marrid an egyptian guy through the Embassy asks this....her husband would like her to apply for an egyptian passport and an identity card for me. Would it be of my benefit to have one?...what are the benefits?...am I able to get one?...any other information please ?

quote:
Luxorlady you obviously did NOT read the thread properly when I asked for advice from the forum members. Do I detect a hint of criticism ? Where I personally live & how long I've lived there is surely my business.

quote:
Just an additional remark there was a smala typing error in the original thread, the request is for HER not myself. I have an egyptian work VISA and I do not personally need this facility.

I think an apology to LL for this as your original post DID say: [her husband would like her to apply for an egyptian passport and an identity card for ME. Would it be of MY benefit to have one?...what are the benefits?...am I able to get one?..] this is hardly a small typing error and clearly states it is for YOU.

Just a thought though, you have said (many times) you are a travel manager and are in Egypt 5-6 times a year, at one point you say up to 9 months a year, and you do ask for work in Cairo too and say you DO work in cairo, How can I get a travel manager job that allows me 9 months off in another country doing another job please???

------------------
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brian04
Member # 3553

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for brian04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi everybody....
as some of u know i am getting married to an egyptian lady whom i love very much.....
yes i am a man...lol
i am from the states....
i checked this website.... that states that i can get residency permit... but it must be renewed after 3 years.... for 15 lE...
can't wait to start my new life with my girl and in egypt....

salam,
brian

Posts: 432 | From: China | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol_2004
Member # 5088

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol_2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
still here then brian? have you met her yet? how did it go?
Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brian04
Member # 3553

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for brian04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol_2004:
still here then brian? have you met her yet? how did it go?

yes we have met....

salam,
brian

Posts: 432 | From: China | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol_2004
Member # 5088

Rate Member
are you married yet? how are things going?
brian04
Member # 3553

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for brian04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol_2004:
are you married yet? how are things going?

not yet....
things are going great.....

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brian04:

i checked this website.... that states that i can get residency permit... but it must be renewed after 3 years.... for 15 lE

Which website? Where? Can you please give us the link for this information?

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Just to clarify the dreadful interogation from others regarding my thread. I will repeat myself again, the word "me" was a typing error and I admitted this immediately, I was repeating the exact words of my friend who sought this information. I have 2 female friends whom I met in Luxor last year and have kept in contact with them, they asked me to post thread/s on their behalf as they have no PCs and I am happy to help (thought we were all in here for that). I don't want an egyptian passport I am happy with my own. I am NOT a tour guide, I am a Travel Manager and I do spent most of my time in Egypt and live with my parents after my divorce 6 yrs ago from my British husband. Yes true I sought some office work in Cairo, but so what did not know it was a crime ? I do have a work VISA, plus I pay my taxes & work for my living unlike a lot of people whom you refer to. I do not have, or want to have a local gigello, unlike a lot of the older women who do claim state benefits and clearly do keep or seek egyptian young men in return for (well we all know what because most have nothing else to offer). Finally, I did not have to explain myself to anyone in here, but I have, so ladies I don't know what your problem is. I only ever asked for advice and if you did not want to give any then fine, but thank you akshar, newcomer and stacia for your help and I will pass on the information to my friend. I think an apology to me is forthcoming, is this the way you treat new members ?
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just to clarify the dreadful interogation from others regarding my thread. I will repeat myself again, the word "me" was a typing error and I admitted this immediately, I was repeating the exact words of my friend who sought this information. I have 2 female friends whom I met in Luxor last year and have kept in contact with them, they asked me to post thread/s on their behalf as they have no PCs and I am happy to help (thought we were all in here for that). I don't want an egyptian passport I am happy with my own. I am NOT a tour guide, I am a Travel Manager and I do spent most of my time in Egypt and live with my parents after my divorce 6 yrs ago from my British husband. Yes true I sought some office work in Cairo, but so what did not know it was a crime ? I do have a work VISA, plus I pay my taxes & work for my living unlike a lot of people whom you refer to. I do not have, or want to have a local gigello, unlike a lot of the older women who do claim state benefits and clearly do keep or seek egyptian young men in return for (well we all know what because most have nothing else to offer). Finally, I did not have to explain myself to anyone in here, but I have, so ladies I don't know what your problem is. I only ever asked for advice and if you did not want to give any then fine, but thank you akshar, newcomer and stacia for your help and I will pass on the information to my friend. I think an apology to me is forthcoming, is this the way you treat new members ?

I am sorry if you were offended I suspect that the ladies concenrned were just trying to clarify your question. Honestly it is hard when you have been on these boards for a while not to think a newbie has read everything and jump on them.

I personally think that getting your hubby to apply for your Egyptian nationality is a lovely way of demonstrating that he is sincere AND THAT YOU ARE. I emailed a lady who has this after a long marriage and she is a second wife. We both thought it was one in the eye for all thise that are down on that lifestyle choice. She had been married 5 years and i also know of another lady married 13/15 years who has nationality.

When I take it in 2 years time it will be to show my affinity to my adoptive country.

I love Egypt

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

akshar

thank you askshar it is so refreshing to have a true lady respond in such a polite and helpful manner. I appreiate all what you said but honestly I am not married or dating any egyptian guy, never been out with one either. I DO tend to keep to myself as much as possible when I am there and dearly love the country. I was honestly asking these threads for two lady friends of mine, one which HAS married a guy from the West Bank and I think regrets it now too. Mind you after all these terrible comments from some of the other ladies in here I will probably not try to help my friends out by asking questions in the forum for them again. It is clear that some think I ask the questions for myself ? once again thank you for your help and honest answers.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welshlady, i apologize if you thought my post or anyone elses an interrogation, it was not meant to be and the attacks from you were not necessary either, we were merely trying to clarify your postings which did state were for you, you corrected AFTER your attack to luxorlover without even thinking of an apology first. (or after) You asked for an apology and as an English Lady I have given one for any misunderstanding you had with my post. i still think your attack on Luxorlover was unjustified though.

------------------

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't want an egyptian passport I am happy with my own. I am NOT a tour guide, I am a Travel Manager

Yes true I sought some office work in Cairo, but so what did not know it was a crime ? I do have a work VISA,

Welsh Lady

All foreign tour operators do not have work visa's in Egypt. They have extended tourist visa's for 6 months or a year. It is very difficult to get a work visa in Egypt. The company you work for must apply and be able to prove that you are doing a job that an Egyptian cannot do. How did you get your work visa?

kenzie257@yahoo.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Kenzie (edited 25 September 2004).]

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WELSHLADYUK
Member # 5356

Ayisha

I have read your comments and if I have offended anyone I apologise, however I did not appreciate the attacks on me, I am a new member who came om to this forum for advice for both myself and my 2 friends and not interrogation:

Comments made to me such as....Your parents in North Wales. On another thread that you live half the time in Egypt and the other half in Britain. In another you are looking for part part secretarial work in Cairo. In another that you are a tour leader. In another that you have never had a man in Egypt and yet you know all the pitfalls.

also

There are a lot of older women in Luxor who are still too young to claim pensions but live on benefits and income support that they claim from the British Government.

I felt these comments were directed at me as if I was a liar, which I assure you I am not. Yes, there are a lot of ladies who stay in Egypt claiming various UK benefits, some of them even make claims of severe disability and yet you see them walking about the west bank, climbing monuments & even riding bikes (so my friend has informed me - no names mentioned). I assure you I do not, I work and pay taxes like any other honest UK citizen, you will see even jaguar thought LL had made an attack on me too. Anyway water under bridge, I do not wish to bitch on or explain my personal life to anyone I have better things to do in my life.

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
No convoys
Travel on any train
No paying for visa
Egyptian prices
No more dollars on the sleeper train
Egyptian prices in hotels when you are on your own
Affinity to the country

I am going for it

I do not have an Egyptian passport but I have a resident working visa that entitles me to all of the above.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
welshlady, if you read jaguars post again it says that LL is always targeted, as in always attacked, not that she was attacking you.

------------------

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Kenzie:
I do not have an Egyptian passport but I have a resident working visa that entitles me to all of the above.

In Egypt I suspect it is easier to get a husband than it is to get a working visa

------------------

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Akshar

Yes it is much easier to get a husband.

Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member

Yes it is much easier to get a husband. I was not married when I got my working resident visa. It was alot of form filling out, alot of blood tests, alot of meeting with Private police, tourist police etc, basically it took a long time and was expensive. The company I work for paid for this. It is hard to get PROPER work without a work visa but you cannot apply for a work visa unless you are employed.

[This message has been edited by Kenzie (edited 25 September 2004).]

newcomer
Member # 1056

I guess it depends on the company. All I had to do for my work visa and residency was to fill in one form and have an HIV/AIDS blood test, all the rest was done by the organization I was working for, although I did have to go to Muggama once to prove that I really did exist! It took a long time to be cleared, about four months, as I was told that they had to checks me out, but the renewal was quick and easy, only one day. I was also told that if you leave one job and want to apply for a work visa for another organization it is much quicker as they don’t have to do the background checks again.

Does anyone have any idea what “residency permit” brian04 could be talking about? Is there another one other than through work or marriage?

Memo2000
Member # 3996

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Memo2000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello friends.
New forums about egypt .. Egypt news .. Egypt Classifieds .. and more .. http://www.ha22.com/forum

Posts: 271 | From: egypt | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com