EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Why these days do egyptian need a 2nd wife ? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Why these days do egyptian need a 2nd wife ?
BRITISHLADY
Member # 5424

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRITISHLADY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly may I state that I am happily married to my british husband !

What I cannot get to grip with is why in these modern times do egyptian men feel that must have more than one wife (usually a foreign one at that). I understand many years ago there could have been a viable reason for this due to honour, religion and the need to bind nations together. I also appreciate the Quoran allows the practice of taking up to 4 wives, but at the end of the day Quoran was written 100's of years ago and this IS NOW the 21st century things have changed and society moved on. Reality is that most egyptian men cannot afford a second wife and I think it is a case of pure greed on their part, using Islam to justify a lust of more sex with another woman, or simply more money and a better life.

If someone has fallen out of love with their wife then it is time to divorce and move on, or accept it and stay in the relationship. Family honour has really little to do with it all, surely it is best for the couple to agree support for the wife/kids and finish that marriage and have a clean split before going onto the next.

Posts: 28 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You already said it.... 9 out of 10 times there are two reasons why an Egyptian man takes a second wife (often a foreign wife)

#1 - $$$$$

#2 - $EX

No more needs to be said. For anyone that disagrees or is in a "my relationship is different" relationship, count your blessings. You are 1 of 10.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kenzie
Member # 3519

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenzie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
You already said it.... 9 out of 10 times there are two reasons why an Egyptian man takes a second wife (often a foreign wife)

#1 - $$$$$

#2 - $EX

No more needs to be said. For anyone that disagrees or is in a "my relationship is different" relationship, count your blessings. You are 1 of 10.

Totally agree Debbie and if everyone is happy then thats fine. I wouldn't like it as I am a very jealous person but that is my view. It works for others.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you say British Lady we are living in modern times and the FACT is MOST and I mean MOST Egyptian men do NOT take second wives.
Egypt is not back in the dark ages, talk to the men and they will tell you they only want one wife and polygamy is a thing of the past.

Any arrangement with a foreign woman where the is an Egyptian wife is just that, it is an arrangement and that is their business and nobody elses. I completely fail to see how it can be called marriage as unless the foreign woman is a muslim then she is not able to enter a polygamous relationship.Hence why the embassies will not give sanction to these 'arrangements'.

Please don't brand the men of Egypt, where the majority definitely do not do have two wives, as not living in the 21st century.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
Unfortunately many times they take on another wife without her knowledge.....it is very sad.
You ask why? A lot of egyptian men travel to the states deceiving the american women who have no knowledge of the "other'woman in egypt and her children. Many times the egyptian woman has no idea this other wife exists.
They go on vacations fabricating excuses but really they are going home to visit the wife.
Spreading more and more like wildfire.........of course they want green card and american citizenship! They can make a higher income in the states.
But it is a big problem not just in america,but here they then open businesses send money back home. I noticed on arab message boards more and more people are coming forward talking about this problem. Ladies check your men out, don't wait for the government to. I have seen many american women hurt deeply by this lie. Not only is it a lie, but illegal, it may be legal on egyptian soil but bigamy on american soil.
I wish an egyptian woman would come forward on a message board that has experienced this& found out about it. My sympathy to these women.

Posts: 273 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny,
Sorry in this case you are wrong. You need to travel to the states. The problem is huge.
Moslem has nothing to do with it, if they want another wife stay in egypt, or suffer the consequences.This has gone way beyond a religious issue. Legal issue and moral.These women are getting hurt on both sides.
So turn your head and it is ok??
I'm so happy they are being deported left & right. Decent honest egyptian men with no other wife I don't have a problem with.
Penny we don't have a woman shortage in egypt, that is not there intention when they come here for there second marriage. There is no man shortage in america.We american woman won't be belittled like this.

Posts: 273 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by Penny (edited 27 January 2005).]

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alana:

My comments were about the majority of Egyptian men living in Egypt......sorry no I have no experience of what is going on in America.

I just hate to see another thread started bashing Egyptian men and no matter how big the problem in America I am sure the overaul statistics would still be very low.

What is interesting is that for a foreign woman to marry in Egypt she has to prove she is not already married. Why do the American authorities not extend the same protection to women in the states. Egyptian marriage records are easily accessable for this purpose.
[/b][/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by Penny (edited 27 January 2005).]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Penny on everything. Bigamy is not anymore common in Egypt. Egyptian men in general believe that one wife is just enough.

Does America not recognize a marriage of an Egyptian man to an American woman and the man is already married to an Egyptian woman?

I always thought as long the American woman becomes a Moslema everyone should be happy since Moslem men can have up to four wives.

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 27 January 2005).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alana:
Penny we don't have a woman shortage in egypt, that is not there intention when they come here for there second marriage. There is no man shortage in america.We american woman won't be belittled like this.[/B]

So Alana, first of all you you say, 'we...in Egypt', then, 'we American women'.

Are you contradicting yourself? Honestly, I find your analysis extremely naive, besides you don't sound American at all, not even a native speaker.

Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
As you say British Lady we are living in modern times and the FACT is MOST and I mean MOST Egyptian men do NOT take second wives.
Egypt is not back in the dark ages, talk to the men and they will tell you they only want one wife and polygamy is a thing of the past.

Any arrangement with a foreign woman where the is an Egyptian wife is just that, it is an arrangement and that is their business and nobody elses. I completely fail to see how it can be called marriage as unless the foreign woman is a muslim then she is not able to enter a polygamous relationship.Hence why the embassies will not give sanction to these 'arrangements'.

Please don't brand the men of Egypt, where the majority definitely do not do have two wives, as not living in the 21st century.

Penny whilst I agree that a great many of these relationships are 'arrangements' I dispute that means that none of them are a ‘marriage’.

Traditional marriages in Egypt are generally arrangements between two families where the wishes of the bride and groom are incidental to the affair. They don't hate each other, they may even like each other, they often know each other being cousins but they are rarely 'in love' with each other. Love matches in traditional rural society are virtually unknown. This doesn't make this arrangement any less of a marriage.

In the UK it is well known that arrange marriages are often entered into, especially amongst the Asian community. If you read the rules on Settlement/Fiance visas you will see that they are even catered for. This is not less of a marriage.

A Christian woman married to a Muslim man does not disobey any command of the Bible. The Bible has few rules about marriage but those it has she has obeyed. She has married one man 1 Corth 7;2 , he is a believer 2 Corinthians 6:14 the Bible also makes it clear that polygamous marriages did occur in Christians (and of course amongst Jews) and for that reason rules that deacons of the church should only have one wife 1 Timothy 3:12 but this ruling is made to deacons only. So a polygamous marriage is not restricted to Muslims only.

Western Embassies will give sanction to this kind of marriage in that they will confirm the brides freedom to marry, what they will not do is register the marriage because according to their law it is illegal.

It is not the 'dark ages' to have a second wife. All Muslims will tell you that is the difference between Islam and others; they have not changed their faith and beliefs according to the whim of fashion. The rules that Mohammed laid down are as true today as they always were. There are no modern versions of the Koran. It is not a derogatory thing for a Muslim man to take another wife in accordance with the Koran. Indeed for a Muslim man to take a widow and provide for an orphan is a good and honourable thing. I think if you go round say the teachings of the Koran are irrelevant to today you will find very little support amongst Muslim Egyptian society.

So yes I do believe it is perfectly possible to have a marriage between a Christian woman and a polygamous Muslim male. I also do not think that it in way indicates that Egypt is a backward society in the dark ages.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sue333
Member # 5365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sue333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
[B]
]

Whilst I agree with most of what you have said- I have to disagree in the statements which you imply that most muslims marry more than one wife for honorable reasons. Whilst I agree that this is what was intended by the Koran, I believe a lot of what is stated in the Koran is misinterpreted- sometimes over time, and sometimes because it suits the society. With both the bible and the Koran it is the spirit of the message and not the literal meaning that is important. I dont believe that either book requires people to be treated unequally, for there to be massive imbalance between men and women with women being used to fulfil mens (often not so honorable) will. Again, I am not implying that there is anything wrong with the Koran or a number of men who marry for the correct reason - to take care of women who have no other means of care- but rather that many do it for sex, for variety, to gain financially or to have more children. Even in the last point, I do not think that it can be justification, as what happens within the muslim faith for the woman if her husband is impotent but if she loved him? Would she have to divorce him or could she take another husband. Of course I know that the answer to the latter question is 'no' but how can that be a good reason? It is a risk you take when you marry someone and you want children!

Posts: 101 | From: uk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tomy
Member # 6452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tomy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beacuse he need more than love
no way this love be in one women

Posts: 8 | From: cairo | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tomy:
beacuse he need more than love
no way this love be in one women

Sure. We girls need more than love as well. So what, up to 5?
Now seriously. How a gal with an IQ over 73.5 can really NOT KNOW that her husband is two (or three and up) timing her???? Vacation without his American spouse? Excuse me? Is he going to allow her any vacation by herself? MANY tell signs are so easy to check but then the painful truth inevitably follows. I have been around the block a couple of times ( ), and with no angels either: I know men and what they are capable of; mainly only of what we ALLOW them to be. Women are SMART. MUCH smarter than men. What allows the men to be dishonest is not the lack of knowledge or intuition in their women. It is the only creature on Earth that can overshadow the brilliance of our intellect: DENIAL. End of the story. If we really really want to wake up and smell the roses, we sure can. The choice is ours and ours only.

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good on ya, Karah, but do you actually think Tomy would get what you're on about? I doubt it.

Do *you* have an idea what *he's* on about? Beats me

Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EFLVirgo:
Good on ya, Karah, but do you actually think Tomy would get what you're on about? I doubt it.

Do *you* have an idea what *he's* on about? Beats me

He is just horny as HELL.

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sokarya_686@hotmail.com
Member # 6138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sokarya_686@hotmail.com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not a question of what is possible. |It is whether it is moral, or whether it is right or wrong.

In Christian society at least it is considered adultery to even think about another partner, for didnt Jesus say something like whosoever lusts after another in the mind has already committed adultery?

Of course it is wrong to have more than one partner, and however one can twist or turn the law and twist and turn the Koran or the Bible, you will never ever get away from the fact that the adulterer commits a disgusting act offensive to God. Thank goodness I am single. Saint Charlie.

Posts: 707 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Hi Virgo,
I'm sorry I didn't break it down smaller for you! I can see where you got confused. Yes Iam American and my husband is Egyptian, when we lived in Egypt there is not a shortage of women for these men. My husband found your response very amusing also. Maybe it's just way over your head to comprehend.
Penny , I appreciate your response& still have to differ with you it is not a low percentage actually very high. What I see from some of the responses is a lack of respect for other religions.
My husband who is a devout moslem ,doesn't bash the catholic religion or anyone else's.
He was a teacher in Islamic Studies and translation of the Koran.
What I see here is different people trying to make excuses to justify this.
Widow? helping a woman? c'mon Jane you know as well as I do most moslem men try to make there wife convert. Really it's sad when you call it bashing Penny when if you really look deep into the subject it is against God first of all, and any woman in there right mind who would want to share there man.
Kinda sounds like an orgy to me!
If you have trust and deep love doesn't matter moslem, christian why can't someone take a trip? I went with my two sisters to visit my niece in Florida, my husband didn't object and I encourage him when he goes on a seminar out of town , if I can't attend, should he cancel?
Sorry Jane if that happened to you it sounds like you were deceived in a previous marriage. But anyway you can be on your toes and the sharpest and still be taken advantage of.
By the way Kara , I loved your comments you are a trip! It is true most men don't cover there tracks well. But in these cases it is illegal registered or not it does not even exist that kind of law here in america.
I spoke with a friend in New York today at the Egyptian embassy, egyptian born woman, she commented on this quote"nonsense" moslem woman, any faith , in america is bigamy and illegal. If you want to practice it she said live in a moslem country, reading your posts she said why are all of you defending her natural born country ?, when you are not even egyptian women and she said she gets many calls from egyptian women when they discover this secret about there husband.They have rights, they are not in agreement, these are moslem women! She said it is very unfortunate to limit your mind like that. Believe it or not she said more egyptian women are divorcing, because the rule even in egypt the wife has to be told and aware of it and in agreement.
Kara, I would love to talk to you off-line sometime , do you use aim?

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
---

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 28 January 2005).]

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Dear Alana

I understand what you are saying and it would be interesting then to know what % of Egyptian men have more than one wife.

I will and always will defend the good decent Egyptian family men that are my friends and would never ever want to have more than one wife. I have spoken to many men on this point and I have yet to meet one that wants more than one wife. Life is hard in Egypt and the cost of one family is more than enough for most people. Their priorities are far more concerned with educating their children and making a good life for their family.

Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Penny,

Exactly you are right, the life in egypt is hard and economics difficult. That is the reason in a "nutshell" why this is happening so much. The egyptian men get over here so they can first try to find work under the table and make money. Because Penny the money they make here when they send it overseas it is worth almost triple the amount in egypt. But still that does not excuse them from the way they are trying to support there egyptian wife and children.
This reminds me when I was stationed in the gulf, some of the Sri Lanka girls (wonderful friends I made) would work so hard for so little money for these spoiled gulf families, up all night washing dishes until there hands were cracked and bleeding, if they broke a dish , money was taken from there salary! terrible. But when they sent the money home to there country it converted tolarge amounts. They would have no indoor plumbing, stoves, etc, they helped there family out, but paid a heavy price on there health & life. Some were raped by employers,if they went to police they would be punished even more, went without proper rest, but you see the difference they sought out employment in the gulf not deception! They worked like a "dog" for pennies. Really sad.

AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnotherNewMember     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BRITISHLADY:
Firstly may I state that I am happily married to my british husband !

What I cannot get to grip with is why in these modern times do egyptian men feel that must have more than one wife (usually a foreign one at that). I understand many years ago there could have been a viable reason for this due to honour, religion and the need to bind nations together. I also appreciate the Quoran allows the practice of taking up to 4 wives, but at the end of the day Quoran was written 100's of years ago and this IS NOW the 21st century things have changed and society moved on. Reality is that most egyptian men cannot afford a second wife and I think it is a case of pure greed on their part, using Islam to justify a lust of more sex with another woman, or simply more money and a better life.

If someone has fallen out of love with their wife then it is time to divorce and move on, or accept it and stay in the relationship. Family honour has really little to do with it all, surely it is best for the couple to agree support for the wife/kids and finish that marriage and have a clean split before going onto the next.

The question is not why the Egyptian men are taking a second wife, (usually a foreign one), I think that's obvious, the question is why are FOREIGN women, suddenly forgetting their own principals and virtues and marrying into a polygamist relationship. Would they date a married man in their own country, or do their principals change when they change continents? That's the question.

We've always had a saying in the states, and its: "A man can't do what a woman won't allow him to do"

In other words a man can't be a polygamist by himself, it takes 2 or more WILLING women to give him that status.

because we know that if you give him an inch, he'll run a marathon.

[This message has been edited by AnotherNewMember (edited 28 January 2005).]

Posts: 323 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
AnotherNewMember,
Actually that's not true. In most cases these american women do not know& same with the egyptian wives.
There are small numbers of cases where the women enter into it as a business arrangement for money. But these men are trying to make money to send back home. Also lately they have found some mosques here in the states arranging marriages and they were aware of the man having a wife overseas.So I guess the women have to become ther own detectives and really scrutinize every detail. Better to be safe than sorry.

Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Penny, Sorry I didn't answer your one question on % of egyptian men.

Actually it is sad out of every 10 egyptian men here 9 have a wife back home in egypt & children there too. So your looking @ 99% that is on a search in the states with a wife back home, yes it is alarming numbers. That is why deportation is at it's all time high.

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alana.... You are joking...right? Even if you aren't, 9 out of 10 makes 90% dear, not 99%.

Don't go into Rocket Science...OK?

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
Alana.... You are joking...right? Even if you aren't, 9 out of 10 makes 90% dear, not 99%.

Don't go into Rocket Science...OK?

The statistic I was interested in was the % of Egyptian men with more than one wife out of the whole population of Egyptian men.

EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alana:
[B]Penny, Sorry I didn't answer your one question on % of egyptian men.

Actually it is sad out of every 10 egyptian men here 9 have a wife back home in egypt & children there too. So your looking @ 99% that is on a search in the states with a wife back home, yes it is alarming numbers.

Just like 99% of Palestinians are terrorists. Oh boy, I guess stereotyping's the norm in good ol' US of A

Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Debbie, Thanks for the correction, oops hit the #9 key twice
But no I wish I was joking , it really has become a serious problem here.
It makes the good guys look bad.
My husband is egyptian born , we have lived in both countries, it just angers him at the ignorance of these men.

Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Dear Penny,
LOL-You are the rocket scientist
Just kidding!
Here I'll give you some places to contact for your info: First though get the complete census poll in egypt.
Contact egyptian embassy in NYC (Consular),
U.S. Immigration, Dept. of foreign affairs in Cairo, Civil Registry in Cairo, U.S. Embassy in Egypt. That will keep you busy for awhile, or welcome c'mon over to the states and visit

Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Virgo,
I can see why people are fighting all the time overseas, you can't even stay on the topic!
Who said anything about that crap.
Oh yes "we americans love to stereotype", maybe your so worked up because you are one of the men that is or have committed fraud marriage over here.(oops if you are a man)
God forbid it happens to your sister ,you would be the first to open your mouth complaining.
Lighten up

Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherNewMember:

because we know that if you give him an inch, he'll run a marathon.

[This message has been edited by AnotherNewMember (edited 28 January 2005).]

Women! We really are fed up with your rude attitude towards us. what's wrong with women? wont they ever stop ? we have been silent for thousands of years givinng you all space to insult and complain enough is enough! Time will come when you wake up and find us no more there. We'll just go another place (was thinking of hell but someone says most women subscribed there already...damn).

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnotherNewMember     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
AnotherNewMember,
Actually that's not true. In most cases these american women do not know& same with the egyptian wives.
There are small numbers of cases where the women enter into it as a business arrangement for money. But these men are trying to make money to send back home. Also lately they have found some mosques here in the states arranging marriages and they were aware of the man having a wife overseas.So I guess the women have to become ther own detectives and really scrutinize every detail. Better to be safe than sorry.

Alana polygamy is illegal in the states, so that would make them BIGAMISTS, that's another topic.

But when you're giving out statistics, so that it doesnt sound exaggerated, you must take all things into consideration. I.E., if you say 9 out of 10 Egyptian men in the US has second wives back home, you have to consider first:
1. How many egyptian men are living in the US
2. How many of this group are married
3. Then how man have another wife

So less than 2% of the US population are arabs, and 95% of them are Lebanese, so that would make your percentage very very small, and almost insignificant.

"In Egypt, in 1995, there were 1200 polygamous marriages with four wives, 9000 with three wives, 12000 with two wives. In the same year there were 519 000 Marriage contracts were signed, and 83000 divorces pronounced. "
Source : Courrier International, No 488, 9-15 March, 2000. Page 27.

So if the population in Egypt in 1995 was around 70 million, and there were only 22,000 polygamist marriages, then only a fraction of 1% of the population is practicing it.

Keeping in mind Orfi marriages , especially with foreigners coming and going, are not counted in these statistics, since no one really keeps a record of these marriages.

Posts: 323 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles101:

Women! We really are fed up with your rude attitude towards us. what's wrong with women? wont they ever stop ? we have been silent for thousands of years givinng you all space to insult and complain enough is enough! Time will come when you wake up and find us no more there. We'll just go another place (was thinking of hell but someone says most women subscribed there already...damn).

Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
AnotherNewMember,
Well if you would have read carefully it was stated that is bigamy. Everyone knows that.
What amazes me is everyone wants to put in on another nationality. What does that tell you?
Please don't even start with the Lebanese go to there message boards, everyone here in america knows they love there "temporary marriages".

I don't think you can understand a simple concept we don't care if it is "orfi" or not, americans are tired of putting up with all this and the government is finally cracking down and with other people coming forward giving info, there kicking there "buts" out of here. Again I say if you can't be honest and respect our country then keep yourself in egypt, you don't deserve the freedom, and why should the american women have to pay the price? That is why american women(don't marry in egypt), you have more rights marrying here if you do. Be careful There are good and honest"single" egyptian guys out there, but many liars and deceivers.

Adrian
Member # 5242

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adrian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is difficult to understand any different culture from ones own but I respect their Islamic belief's.

If their religion permits them to do so and it is done according to the Islamic law then it can be accepted. However, I do not agree with the way some men exploit Islam to get want they want out of greed.

Posts: 9 | From: York | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, Adrian!! But you'll always get people doing this, regardless of their religion!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alana, I'm a woman and proud of it
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Anothernewmember for doing the statistics, I think that puts it into context.

What would we do without you

Penny

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That is why american women(don't marry in egypt), you have more rights marrying here if you do. Be careful There are good and honest"single" egyptian guys out there, but many liars and deceivers.

Is that another one of your insightful statistics or you're talking out of your behind again?

There is one 1 way to marry in Egypt if you want your marriage to be recognized outside of Egypt. This gives you the marital rights of a woman anywhere in the world, including Egypt. The same cannot be said if you got married in the US and then went to live in Egypt. You have to register your marriage in Egypt and take additional steps to make sure you receive all of the legal rights you are entitled to under Egyptian law.

Also, your logic is completely loopy. If a couple gets married in Egypt, both have to prove to the embassy and the egyptian authorities that they're single via notarized documents. That is not the case in the US, so it's the US laws actually ALLOW bigamy to go unchecked. Not the Egyptian laws. Women SHOULD in fact get married in Egypt if they want to be sure.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:

There is one 1 way to marry in Egypt if you want your marriage to be recognized outside of Egypt. This gives you the marital rights of a woman anywhere in the world, including Egypt. The same cannot be said if you got married in the US and then went to live in Egypt. You have to register your marriage in Egypt and take additional steps to make sure you receive all of the legal rights you are entitled to under Egyptian law.

Also, your logic is completely loopy. If a couple gets married in Egypt, both have to prove to the embassy and the egyptian authorities that they're single via notarized documents. That is not the case in the US, so it's the US laws actually ALLOW bigamy to go unchecked. Not the Egyptian laws. Women SHOULD in fact get married in Egypt if they want to be sure.

Exactly it really is the American law not protecting its own citizens. Why does it not demand proof of freedom to marry.

Further Egyptian law gives a woman more protection on divorce in that half of her property is not handed over to her husband.

Ramyshaut
Member # 6097

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ramyshaut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

YA cut the Gspot to So we can get some peace

Posts: 117 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramyshaut:

I don't buy this crap about the G-spot(AKA fancy spot). This spot exists only in the mind of those women who can't admit thier failure. They made up something so they can blame the innocent hard-work guy who spends the whole night fighting for any result and get nothing then his woman says oh honey you forgot my G-spot.This is a sceince fiction man. It's the guilt that drove them to invent it. dig your hand and look around you wont find anything. We only pretend to believe them so they feel good but see how ungratful are those creatures?

[This message has been edited by Troubles101 (edited 30 January 2005).]

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Thanks Anothernewmember for doing the statistics, I think that puts it into context.

What would we do without you

Penny

No problem Penny, I try to check my facts whenever possible.

You and Expt are correct, about the US not having a systemto protect women from bigamy, the reason is because they allow marriage registries to take place of a State level and not a National level. So a man can marry one woman in NYC, another in California, and another in Florida, until he finally gets busted, then it becomes a federal crime, and he could get jail time for it.

Drivers licenses are the same way, there used to be a time when one could have their license revoked in one state, they would just go to another state to get one. But now all the states are cross referencing using a National database with your federally issued social security number. They know how to exploit the system here.

AnotherNewMember
Member # 5014

Rate Member
quote:
I don't buy this crap about the G-spot(AKA fancy spot). This spot exists only in the mind of those women who can't admit thier failure. They made up something so they can blame the innocent hard-work guy who spends the whole night fighting for any result and get nothing then his woman says oh honey you forgot my G-spot.This is a sceince fiction man. It's the guilt that drove them to invent it. dig your hand and look around you wont find anything. We only pretend to believe them so they feel good but see how ungratful are those creatures?

[This message has been edited by Troubles101 (edited 30 January 2005).]

Actually T101, it was a MAN that discovered the G-spot, a german gynecologist, one that OBVIOUSLY took the time out to know a woman's body. You should try it.

And believe it or not MEN have a G-spot as well. And some of us women know EXACTLY where it is.

Troubles101
Member # 4543

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherNewMember:
Actually T101, it was a MAN that

And believe it or not MEN have a G-spot as well. And some of us women know EXACTLY where it is.

You have gone so far now! That's why we men shouldn't mix with the heretic women race.

Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ramyshaut:

NO PEAZE 4 U BOYZ: SPOTS X Y Z are ready to be released to the mass production.

Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
quote:
[Kara, I would love to talk to you off-line sometime , do you use aim?[/B]

My aim is bad in general, better not use it...
My yahoo ID, however, is: karah_mia

[This message has been edited by Karah_Mia (edited 30 January 2005).]

Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
AnotherNewMember,
A whole group of my husbands egyptian friends were reading your posts, they agree you are amusing.
The men who are decent egyptian guys like my husband and have only "one wife: here ! All agreed you talk like a bird without a brain.
Your statistics are ridiculous and we would love to all chat with you.
Talk about multiple identities you should see all the arabs with numerous passports, coming into the country false Id's.
Sorry again wrong the woman has more rights marrying in the states, especially if she has children(c'mon get with it). Listen egpytian man can divorce you the same day in egypt ,if he wants ,you would be left out in the cold! oops can't use that slang. ( i guess left out on the streets!)
You really live in a fantasy world.

Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Dear Penny,

That puts nothing into context
You are not even American, take a trip my dear to the state dept. here or american embassy in usa. You don't even live in egypt why??
I have reread a lot of your posts , you second guess yourself so much. I hope you find your peace. Do what you feel from your own heart & mind. But this is the reality going on in the states. This is not a fight to hate egyptians, we love the honest and good decent ones. Like I said before if an egyptian man's sister was deceived, all "Hell would break loose" .
All we want and deserve is respect, again I repeat respect the country your in , or don't go there. Stay where you are, innocent women don't need to get hurt.

foreigngirl
Member # 4054

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreigngirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don;t know how it is in Egypt, but here in America, if you try to have more than one wife, of course it is illegal. however, if you already have a wife, get married in the USA to another, and the government finds out, than your marriage is null and void. Only the first wife is considered. I live close to Mexico and Latin America since I live in Texas, and many Latin American try to have more than one wife, (or husband) They were married in their country, come here to work and find another, and get married without divorcing or even informing their spouse back in their country.
quote:
AnotherNewMember,

Posts: 145 | From: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com