EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Maadi, Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maadi, Cairo
CanadianPoetess
Member # 6604

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CanadianPoetess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could offer insight into what Maadi, Cairo is like? I have been told by various people here that it is a nice area of Cairo to live in and that if I wanted to stay there for a month (in Cairo) that it might be a good place to try to find a place to rent. Any input is appreciated. Thanks very much!

regards,

B

Posts: 24 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saeeda
Member # 5719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for saeeda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maadi is the best place in cairo because my habibi lives there
seriously, it is a nice area... a lot of green... nice people...close to the center, not expensive like some other areas, but still clean...an open place, many foreigners live there, you can feel quite free, nobody is watching you because you are a foreigner, as there are many foreigners around!!
there are very nice places to go out also...if i move to cairo, i will definately choose maadi!!!

Posts: 271 | From: germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maadi is the area that expats with children tend to choose to live in because of the proximity to the better schools for foreigners.

It is more (MUCH MORE) expensive than other neighborhoods, especially for short term rentals, but has benefits if you want to live in Little London or Little America.

As a tourist, it isn't very close to anything. You need to either take taxis out of Maadi or become comfortable with riding the Metro system (3 stations in Maadi).

I would advise you to look to WHY you are visiting Egypt before deciding where to stay. If you are here to meet friends, decide what kind of friends you want to meet. Foreigners (meaning Americans and Brits)..choose Maadi. Or, to put it bluntly, if you are here to bonk your Egyptian boyfriend, Maadi may be one of the few places you will find a flat where you can do that without problems....but don't expect that priviledge to come cheap. If you are here for any other reason, there are better places that make more sense to stay. Hotels are a good idea as well for a tourist.

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maadi is very nice but it is definitely not close to the center; getting downtown can easily take an hour depending on the time of the day.

And, yes, there are restaurants, but no "serious" nightlife to speak of. I think Maadi is great for living there long-term but I wouldn't stay there if I was only going to be in Cairo for a month.

And, Debbie, there are lots of places in downtown, Zamalek and Mohandessin where you can have overnight visitors of the opposite sex ...

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 21 February 2005).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CanadianPoetess
Member # 6604

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CanadianPoetess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merci bien, mes ami...

Well, I must admit that there is no Egyptian boyfriend to bonk as there is no boyfriend, lol..so that really didn't factor into the equation for me. I was planning on obviously doing some tourist things but mainly I was thinking to spend the time writing and the quieter the environment (yes, I know, what solitude right?) the better. I'm not crazy about the idea of surrounding myself with Americans or Brits (not that there's anything wrong with them ::grin: but was thinking of the fact that I may be travelling alone and wanted to be on the safer side if you catch my drift.

As for the nightlife...I think I've left those years behind me, lol. Not that I don't like good music etc but I'm not much into the disco scene here so I imagine it wouldn't blow my skirt up there either (not that there's anything wrong with that scene, just already been there, done that sort of thing for me)...

Again, thanks for your input!

best regards,

B

Posts: 24 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CanadianPoetess
Member # 6604

Rate Member
Ah, and when I said there was no boyfriend that wasn't meant to imply anything other than the fact that there is no boyfriend (not indirectly implying I play for the other team, lol)
kardous
Member # 5784

Icon 14 posted      Profile for kardous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello CanadianPoetess
can i know where do u live now ? and what you mean about no boyfriend ?? plz email me because i want ask you alo tof things
kardous2003@yahoo.com

Posts: 51 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:

And, Debbie, there are lots of places in downtown, Zamalek and Mohandessin where you can have overnight visitors of the opposite sex ...

Oh yeah Dalia? How do you know? And where are all these places? Hmmmm? Want to tell us more?

And on the more serious side, would you recommend a one month only tourist/visitor to look for a place in Mohandiseen, downtown or Zamalek if that is what they wanted? And how would someone that doesn't know the area find just the right place? I'm not naive, I know you can probably bring someone up to your flat, the same as I can bring someone up to my flat, but I still think chances of a newbie finding a flat where that would be as safe to do as it would be in Maadi (in general) are slim. If you feel differently, how would someone that does not know the ins and outs of being descreet in this city do it?

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy
Member # 648

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Tracy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maadi is a quiet area if that is what you are looking for. Not only US and UK expats, but Canadians as well ;-) Like mentioned above, the prices will be higher than other areas and your short stay could be a factor too.

Based on your profile here, try this website: http://www.canadiansincairo.net/

They might be able to help steer you in a good direction, but make sure you get more than one opinion!!!!!

If they can't help, post a temp email address and I will contact you direct.

Enjoy!

Posts: 29 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amina22
Member # 6752

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for amina22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OFFICE OF THE CHAIRMAN
CONTRACT AWARDING COMMITTE
ECOWAS HEADQUARTERS
ABIDJAN, FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF COTE
D,IVORE.
WEST AFRICA.
ATTN,SIR.

Forgive my indignation if this message comes to you as a surprise and if it might offend you without your prior consent and writing through this channel.I am MR.ERIC BAKARY, The Project manager , and Contract Awarding Committee of the ECONOMIC COMMUNITY OFWEST AFRICAN STATES ( ECOWAS) with Headquarters in
Lome-Togo.

I got your information in a business directory from the Chamber of Commerce and Industries when I was searching for a reliable, honest and trustworthyperson to entrust this business with.I was divinely inspired and motivated to pick yourcontact from the many names and list in the directory.After discussing my view with my colleagues, they werevery much satisfied and decided to contact you immediately for this mutual business relationship.We wish to transfer the sum of USD15.5M (FIFTHEEN MILLION
Million, Five hundred United States Dollars only.)intoyour personal or company's bank account.

This fund was a residue of the over invoiced contract bills awarded by us for the supply of hard/softwares,pharmaceuticals/medical items,light and heavy duty vehicles, apparels and other administrative logistics etc for the ECOMOG in Sierra-Leone and Liberia duringthe Peace Keeping Projects.

This DEAL was deliberately hatched out and carefully protected with all concerned. As the project manager of CAC,I have the co-operation and mandate of theFinancial Director and the Secretary of the Organization. We arranged and over invoiced thecontract funds supplied by different companies from different countries during the crisis.It was our consensus to seek the assistance of a willing foreigner to provide us with the facilitiesto transfer this money out of West Africa. This is borne out of our belief in the non-stable and spurious political nature of this sub-region.

The original contractors have been duly paid left with the over invoiced balance. This balance is suspended in the escrow accounts awaiting claims by any foreign company/individual of our choice. We intend to pay out this fund NOW as the organization is winding up its activities since the aim of returning PEACE to the crises countries has been achieved.

Based on the laws and ethics of employment, we as civil servants working under this organization, are not allowed to operate a foreign account. This is the more reason why we needed your assistance to provide an account that can sustain this fund for safe keeping and our future investment with your imprehensive advise, assistance and partnership in your country.We have however agreed, as the account owner in this deal to allow you 30% of the entire sum as compensation, 65% will be held on trust for us while 5% will be used to defray any incidental charges and cost during the course of the transaction. This transaction will be successfully concluded within 7 days if you accord us your unalloyed and due cooperation. You should provide the followings;

YOUR COMPANY`S NAME WITH COMPLETE ADDRESS,TEL AND FAX NUMBERS.
THE NAME OF YOUR BANK,ITS ADDRESS WITH TEL,FAX AND TELEX NUMBERS.
THE ACCOUNT NUMBER THE COMPLETE MAILING ADRRESS OF THE BENEFICIARY WITH TELEPHONE AND FAX NUMBERS.

Upon the receipt of this information, the documents and approval with the texts will be sent to you for confirmation and then forwarded to the organization for ratification and subsequent payment. As a practice of all organized (sensitive)and conspired DEALS, we solicit for your unreserved confidentiality and utmost secret in this business.We hope to retire peacefully and lead a honourable business life afterwards. There are no risks involved.If this deal interest you, EMAIL me immediately for more details.

With regards,
MR. ERIC BAKARY
+22507217477

respond to this email address: eribah2001@yahoo.com

Posts: 3 | From: abidjan | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!
Im a Canadian living in Maadi! (im from Montreal)
Maadi rocks!
If you want to live in a quiet place in Cairo, its probably the only place... THe only green one too. Its quiet, not crowded and not too poluted.
Dont worry about people saying lots of brits and americans live there. Its true, more live in maadi than in other areas but they still dont make up 10% of maadi population. I mean, you ll deal with egyptians until you are saturated; maadi is not like little america! believe me, it feels and look like egypt to me!!

beside, it would never take 1 hr to get downtown! if you take the metro its 20-30 minutes. If you want to take a taxi, its about 2$ (CDN)
My roommate is canadian too! my email is on my profile if you want to talk to me or see my pics.
oh, and yes rent is more expensive but its still 10 times cheaper than renting a flat in an urban area in Canada!

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CanadianPoetess
Member # 6604

Rate Member
Thanks very much everyone for your input here. I appreciate the insight you were able to offer.

The entire thing about being able to invite male guests into wherever I stay is neither here nor there to me. I want to avoid problems at all costs so if it's entirely culturally inappropriate there to have male company in the flat etc then that's no problem for me since I don't plan to be there for romantic purposes anyway, lol...

I was talking to someone I work with today who has an Egyptian neighbour that told me that he thought there was a Sherton Hotel (or something similar) at 12 Road 161 in Maadi and that I might be able to get good rates there. I can't seem to find them listed on the internet or in the white pages (411) but maybe I'm not looking for the right name/place etc? Does anyone know if a reverse directory exists for Cairo where you can type in an address and get the phone # or business name etc for that address?

I'll check out the websites that were pointed out here too ~ once again, thanks very much for your input folks

regards,

B

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Residence Inn in Maadi would be ideal for you. It's a hotel, but they rent flats. You get a kitchen and a bedroom and a living room. It's perfect for what you need. I'm sure it is on Rd 18. There are one or two restaurants on the ground floor and I think a Coffeeology 101 or one of those good coffee shops next door too, if they aren't out of business. They specialize in short term rentals for business people and I suppose tourists like yourself that want something more than a hotel room.

There are NO Sheratons in Maadi. There is a Sofitel, the Cairotel, and the Maadi something or other, but I think the Residence Inn would be more appropriate. Oh yeah and that lady on here that has been advertising the B&B in Maadi. You might look around for her ad.

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:

And on the more serious side, would you recommend a one month only tourist/visitor to look for a place in Mohandiseen, downtown or Zamalek if that is what they wanted? And how would someone that doesn't know the area find just the right place?

No, I wouldn't. But then I wouldn't recommend renting a flat anywhere to a one month-visitor. I know it's possible because I've done it myself, but I think a hotel is a better option and will save you time and hassle.

Regarding male guests - when I was looking for a place it was essential to me that I can have people over whenever I want to.
It happened a couple of times that I saw a place and was told male visitors are not allowed (or only if they are not Egyptian). I would not accept such a limitation of my private life - particularly when I pay a much higher rent than an Egyptian would anyway, so those apartments were ruled out for me.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com