EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What about Egyptian Women Marrying Foreign Men

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What about Egyptian Women Marrying Foreign Men
Issabellem
Member # 6837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Issabellem         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see soo many posts here praising glories and lamenting pitfalls of Egyptian Men and foreign women. What about the other way around?

Many Egyptian women are marrying foreign men - for the very same reasons that Egyptian men marry foreign women.

Posts: 29 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is much less likely to happen for several reasons but basically Egyptian women are jealous of their purity, chastity and religion.

So if they are Muslim they will only marry within their faith. Even Christians are unlikely to marry outside the Coptic church

They don't interact with tourists hardly at all so don't get the contact chances the menfolk do.

If they did get the contact they are unlikely to follow it up for fear of being seen as a loose woman.

They will often take their parents advice about their future life partner rather than follow their heart. Certainly they expect to know everything abotu someone before they consider him as potential husband material. With limited or non existant dating this rules out men met by chance.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't agree on that, Hams. For every Egyptian woman who marries a foreign man (= a non-muslim before marriage) there are at least 100 marriages of an Egyptian man to a foreign woman (my own rough guess ). So I don't think its common. Does anything have statistics about that?

Would be also interesting to know how many of these unions (Egyptian man or woman marries a foreigner) heading for divorce in the first couple of years because grant it a big role plays cultural differences.

I believe some of the Egyptian women also looking for a relationship with a foreigner to have a different life style and more choice of freedom of what they want to do with their life.

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 17 May 2005).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another question: Any Egyptian woman here on board who is married to a foreign man, a non-muslim who converted to Islam for being able to marry the lady of his dreams?

I know Salama is......... give us some insight - not on your marriage necessarily - but how do you see marriages between an Egyptian woman and a foreign man? What are the pros and contras?

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Issabellem
Member # 6837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Issabellem         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akshar - I dont understand why these same rules of purity, chastity, religion wouldnt apply to men?

Do do you mean that and Egyptian women care more about marrying a man who has “purity, chastity, and religion?” or do you mean that an Egyptian woman cares more about having “purity, chastity, religion” in her life?

Either way you mean it – I don’t see what your justification or logic for WHY Egyptian women are less likely to marry foreign men..

Actually, this can be justification for why Egyptian men want to marry Egyptian women.

I would guess you are a man? Egyptian? right?

Tigerlily - I agree that it happens much more with Egyptian men marrying foreign women .. but they shouldn’t have a monopoly! If they think foreign women are all that –
Great - so do I.

I would guess the statistics on divorce are the same anyway you look at it - regardless of which is foreign - even regardless if they are both (educated, liberal, or however you want to say it) Egyptians.

But I also think that foreign men are all that – and then some. And, its my opinion that they RESPECT AND VALUE Egyptian women a lot more than Egyptian men do. They may be more likely to get divorced - but divorce is a relatity both in Egypt and abraod. Personally, if I had a sh*t husband - foreign or egyptian, I would much rather have a divorce than live unhappily. Egyptian women who dont agree with that - yes, they should stick to Egyptian men.

I think it would be FANTASTIC to see more Egyptian women marrying foreign men. The ones who practice Islam can convert their future husbands – and the ones who don’t care PRACTICE – why put up a big show.. they will be judged for it latter.

Posts: 29 | From: Cairo | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hams:

Do do you mean that and Egyptian women care more about marrying a man who has “purity, chastity, and religion?” or do you mean that an Egyptian woman cares more about having “purity, chastity, religion” in her life?

'Heaven is at a Mother's feet.' Should explain it, women are conditioned to lead morally and religiously even though Islam bades the husband/father as the leader religiously in the family.

Still as creatures of habit women often will do what needs to be done, without expectations you are a lost soul. Egyptian women married to a foreigner lives without the expectations she grew up with.

And men the world over don't have the same immensity of expectations hanging over them.

For all the safe keeping and behavior rules a Egyptian has to live by, a Egyptian man will give her alot of respect and gratitude for remaining chaste and good. Western men don't swoon over a woman's chasity and goodness like a Egyptian man would. You would then feel disjointed and scorned.

Its like a woman who works wonders and miracles and her Satanic husband is displeased with her goodness. It just doesn't work. Few western men realize this and nor are they sensitive to it once their wives pound it into him.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Issabellem
Member # 6837

quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

Its like a woman who works wonders and miracles and her Satanic husband is displeased with her goodness. It just doesn't work.

I dont understand the quote. It seems you are you trying to imply that a foreign husband (seemingly) automatically outcast as satanic?

But anyways - this statement is true regardless of sex or culture or even religion.. I dont understand where culture has anything to do with it?

quote:

For all the safe keeping and behavior rules a Egyptian has to live by, a Egyptian man will give her alot of respect and gratitude for remaining chaste and good. Western men don't swoon over a woman's chasity and goodness like a Egyptian man would. You would then feel disjointed and scorned.

So - all these Egyptian men married to Foreign wives - especially wives with colorful pasts - they dont deserve the same respect?

What about Egyptian who give their women respect and gratitude for remaining chaste and good - but forget about respecting themselves by applying the same principles of goodness and chastity?

Goodness and chastity and respect are the same in any culture - and should be the same for any sex.

quote:

Few western men realize this and nor are they sensitive to it once their wives pound it into him.

I would wholeheartedly disagree - I think that foreign men are particularly sensitive to this issue - at least those who love their wives/partners.

[This message has been edited by hams (edited 17 May 2005).]

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Akshar - I dont understand why these same rules of purity, chastity, religion wouldnt apply to men?

Either way you mean it – I don’t see what your justification or logic for WHY Egyptian women are less likely to marry foreign men..

Actually, this can be justification for why Egyptian men want to marry Egyptian women.

Hams you should get rid of sterotypes in your mind, you think that I am an Egyptian man and therefore dismiss my words. Actually I am a British woman living in Egypt. Does that make you listen more to what I have to say.

Both men and women in Islam are supposed to be sexually pure. However like so many societies the onus is much more heavy on the woman than on the man. A man that commits a sexual 'crime' like premarital sex can 'get away' with it. A woman can not.

But the point I was making is that their pride in their chasty, purity and religion comes from the women themselves. It is a point of honour with them that they are not like (their perception of) Western women who sleep around. For example if a man comes to house who is not a relative they will do things like;

say they are not home because there is no man of the family there

keep the street door open so the neighbours can see in

put on their hijab before they answer the door

talk in the street so everyone can see what is going on

have all their female friends/relatives around them

it will depend on the circumstance which course of action, a friend of their husbands who is waiting for him to return would wait outside and they may bring him tea outside, an electrician/plumber would be allowed in but they would do as many things as possible to protect themselves.

At the work place, if they work, they would never chit chat with a man, they would be labled as prostitutes. If their family found out their father/brothers would remove them from the job.

Young people do not leave home and set up on their own. Practically everyone stays at home until marriage, if they can men will bring their bride into the family home and women will go to their new husbands family home. That is why you see all those unfinished buildings, they are waiting till their sons grow up to build another floor for when they get married.

So under all those circumstances how on earth are they supposed to build up a relationship with a foreign man strong enough to marry him.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Issabellem
Member # 6837

See Below

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:

Hams you should get rid of sterotypes in your mind, you think that I am an Egyptian man and therefore dismiss my words. Actually I am a British woman living in Egypt. Does that make you listen more to what I have to say. .

Err ... since hams is an Egyptian woman maybe you should also get rid of the stereotypes in your head and not lecture her on her own culture ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Issabellem
Member # 6837

quote:

Both men and women in Islam are supposed to be sexually pure. However like so many societies the onus is much more heavy on the woman than on the man. A man that commits a sexual 'crime' like premarital sex can 'get away' with it. A woman can not.

Actually – Islamically, the onus is not on any party over another. And – letting men get away with sexual crimes is a part of Egyptian culture that I despise – hence my cynical attitude towards Egyptian men who believe that its any less of a crime – or that they are entitled to marry virgins after their own betrayal of Islam.

God will be the one to judge – and I believe that hypocrites are on par with non-believers – always the Koran mentions them in the same verses --

quote:

But the point I was making is that their pride in their chasty, purity and religion comes from the women themselves. It is a point of honour with them that they are not like (their perception of) Western women who sleep around.

Honor is honor anyway you look at it – and its great that women take care of themselves physically, emotionally and spiritually. But how honorable is it to know your husband is sleeping around – and you cant do a damn thing about it? How honorable is it to have different standards of morality for your boys than for your girls. How honorable is it to turn a blind eye to your son who sleeps around – yet murder your daughter for the same crime? How honorable is it to apply the laws of God differentially – to your women and not yourself?

quote:

At the work place, if they work, they would never chit chat with a man, they would be labled as prostitutes. If their family found out their father/brothers would remove them from the job.

I am not sure which part of Egypt - you live in – if at all. But most women within a certain class (that class being what I consider an educated class) would have no problem chit-chatting with male colleagues. Of course not about sex – but what is wrong with a healthy debate on religion – politics – history – society – a new movie – a nice song?

quote:

Young people do not leave home and set up on their own. Practically everyone stays at home until marriage, if they can men will bring their bride into the family home and women will go to their new husbands family home. That is why you see all those unfinished buildings, they are waiting till their sons grow up to build another floor for when they get married.

I certainly wouldn’t want to live with my inlaws – no matter how nice they were.

quote:

So under all those circumstances how on earth are they supposed to build up a relationship with a foreign man strong enough to marry him.

The very same rules apply to Egyptian men!! These same rules apply to them as well!! Or at the very least – THEY SHOULD!

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am not sure which part of Egypt - you live in – if at all. But most women within a certain class (that class being what I consider an educated class) would have no problem chit-chatting with male colleagues. Of course not about sex – but what is wrong with a healthy debate on religion – politics – history – society – a new movie – a nice song?

Absolutely agree! I've worked with "normal' middle class Egyptians for a couple of years now and of course men and women chat with each other, haven't noticed much difference to offices in other parts of the world where I used to live.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 17 May 2005).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I would wholeheartedly disagree - I think that foreign men are particularly sensitive to this issue - at least those who love their wives/partners.

So - all these Egyptian men married to Foreign wives - especially wives with colorful pasts - they dont deserve the same respect?
What about Egyptian who give their women respect and gratitude for remaining chaste and good - but forget about respecting themselves by applying the same principles of goodness and chastity?

Goodness and chastity and respect are the same in any culture - and should be the same for any sex.

Yet you seem to forget that men are thick headed, they don't think of emotional stuff like women. And if he is white he will not often consider cultural differences. Some don't even honor her culture, I have seen this myself, they might be mail order brides or found each other in college. White men can be brutally insensitive.

You really have to understand here, Egyptian men do judge their wives on their pasts. Its very difficult to find a foreign wife that hasn't sleep with every Tom, Dick and Harry. Let alone the fact that Egyptian male pride and honor no matter if he is married to a foreigner or an Egyptian women, her purity does matter.
E

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yet you seem to forget that men are thick headed, they don't think of emotional stuff like women. And if he is white he will not often consider cultural differences. Some don't even honor her culture, I have seen this myself, they might be mail order brides or found each other in college. White men can be brutally insensitive.

You really have to understand here, Egyptian men do judge their wives on their pasts. Its very difficult to find a foreign wife that hasn't sleep with every Tom, Dick and Harry. Let alone the fact that Egyptian male pride and honor no matter if he is married to a foreigner or an Egyptian women, her purity does matter.

Even if he denies it at first, his true feelings will come out about her 'colorful' past. Pacifying his dishonor will only last so long.

Duh, about half of Egyptian men aren't virgins when they get married. Its not a huge conflict of interest to them. They want a virgin for a wife, doesn't mean his bride demands the same. Its called double standards. The culture is rife with them, some of which is to the woman's advantage.

[i]Goodness and chastity and respect are the same in any culture - and should be the same for any sex.[/i

Oh my God are you so wrong about this. 'Should' doesn't apply to any societal mores in Egypt. I don't know where you get this stuff?

Issabellem
Member # 6837

quote:

Agreed - but thats men in General. Egyptian, European, black, white, Hindu, Muslim… And from experience – I would say that any man – especially one who loves his wife – will be sensitive to cultural issues if they exist. EVEN IF NOT – they are still no more insensitive than an Egyptian man.

quote:

Some don't even honor her culture, I have seen this myself, they might be mail order brides or found each other in college. White men can be brutally insensitive.

I would say this is EVEN MORE prevalent from Egyptian men – who are much more likely to have a mail order bride than white or European men. Yes – let them f**k around until they are 30 – then its home to mommie to ask for a nice virgin bride. Yes – that sounds fantastic – show me the dotted line so I can sign!!

quote:

NO Somsod - I Do understand Egyptian men. I DO understand the hypocrisy of this society. Maybe this is why I am advocating marriages to foreign men – NON ARABS – because in the end, at the very least - we wont get the same s**t that we have been dished out in the past - and then take a beating over our head on top of it.

quote:

Duh, about half of Egyptian men aren't virgins when they get married. Its not a huge conflict of interest to them. They want a virgin for a wife, doesn't mean his bride demands the same. Its called double standards. The culture is rife with them, some of which is to the woman's advantage.

In the Koran - hypocrisy is always mentioned along the same lines as disbelief..

So are you saying that its better to marry a lying hypocritical Egyptian man - than a Foreign man who does not (may not) "consider cultural differences?"

No one is saying that there isn’t decent caring Egyptian men around – I see it in my uncle who stays by my aunts side and takes her to the toilet at night because she cant walk. I see it in my father who will do the dishes and the laundry and buy the groceries – I see it in my brother – who saved himself for marriage – and looked for someone who was god fearing and chaste..

But really – with the quality of Egyptian men today – give me a cat, a dog, a horse, or even a flying bat any day over them!!

But - I am really curious to know what your point is? what exactly are you arguing for or against? If you have time - I am really curious.

[This message has been edited by hams (edited 18 May 2005).]

Issabellem
Member # 6837

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sonomod:

For all the safe keeping and behavior rules a Egyptian has to live by, a Egyptian man will give her alot of respect and gratitude for remaining chaste and good. Western men don't swoon over a woman's chastity and goodness like a Egyptian man would. You would then feel disjointed and scorned.

Is everything about chastity with you? what about kindness - what about intelligence - what about being God fearing (regardless of nationality or past) - what being honorable (which men who sleep around then demand virginity from their wives dont have)

What mutual interests? what about a million other things.

I doubt that just because a foreign man does not swoon over an Egyptian woman’s chastity - she will feel disjointed. I believe that educated women would feel disjointed if that was all that was swooned over

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sonomod:
[b]
For all the safe keeping and behavior rules a Egyptian has to live by, a Egyptian man will give her alot of respect and gratitude for remaining chaste and good. Western men don't swoon over a woman's chastity and goodness like a Egyptian man would. You would then feel disjointed and scorned.

Is everything about chastity with you? what about kindness - what about intelligence - what about being God fearing (regardless of nationality or past) - what being honorable (which men who sleep around then demand virginity from their wives dont have)

What mutual interests? what about a million other things.

I doubt that just because a foreign man does not swoon over an Egyptian woman’s chastity - she will feel disjointed. I believe that educated women would feel disjointed if that was all that was swooned over

[/B]

Its a completely different culture and different way of looking at things.

And no chastity isn't the only thing to praise an Egyptian woman for. Its just the most visible difference between Western to Western marriages and westerner to egyptian marriages.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
d
quote:
But really – with the quality of Egyptian men today – give me a cat, a dog, a horse, or even a flying bat any day over them!!

But - I am really curious to know what your point is? what exactly are you arguing for or against? If you have time - I am really curious.

On this egy board and other egy boards western women gloat and finagle over how stupid and greedy Egyptian women are. Its really something that pisses me off. I mean the next time I see a western women with an Egyptian man half her age in Egypt (which I have only seen twice) I will have to slug her and break her face.

I hate this so much. My daughter is Egyptian, my husband is Egyptian. Yes she is biologically mine no matter if I am good enough for her or not. But these western women don't realize that when they are insulting Egyptian women they are insulting their mother in laws, their sister in laws and half of Egypt! And lets not forget they are insulting their husbands. It sounds as if they don't plan on having children with their Egyptian husband and are probably too old to have more kids any way.

I am not to old to have more children, if we do have more they probably will be girls. My father in law is delighted with the fact that he doesn't have a single male grandchild.

So when these egy board fake wives bitch about Egyptian women it boils my blood. If they can't find good man in Egypt, they couldn't find a good man in their own country either.

And yes I know alot of what you described above isn't fair. But it isn't what I have experienced. My husband isn't perfect, and his Arab friends have influenced him in ways that made horrible rows and fights between us, but we move on, it gets better.

Alot of what women complain about on this forum and other egy forums is the intial problems of a bad intercultural relationship, then its deny, deny, deny and boom all Egyptian men are asses and Egyptian women are greedy evil man theives. It doesn't sound like their Egyptian men were invested in the relationship to begin with.

And you Hams, well you sound very different.

Issabellem
Member # 6837

You seem as angry with foreign women as I am with Egyptian men (and all the hypocrisy that surrounds them)

Personally, I think Egyptian Women are fantastic. If I had a son - I would certainly want an Egyptian wife for him. If I had a daughter on the other hand - I would think twice before I push an Egyptian Husband on her - just for the sake of cultural or even religion. I would be delighted to see her with ANY man - who loved her - and respected her, her traditions, her religion, and her family.

But I am not sure where all this talk (and anger) about foreign women fits into this post. I am talking about Egyptian women marrying foreign men. I would be great to send a message to Egyptian men - clean up you act (and your double standards) or look elsewhere for wives.

If the something isnt fair – then fight back – with your first, with your words, or with your heart – and that is the least you can do.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Personally, I think Egyptian Women are fantastic. If I had a son - I would certainly want an Egyptian wife for him. If I had a daughter on the other hand - I would be delighted to see her with a foreign man - if he loved her - and respected her, her traditions, her religion, and her family

If the society isnt fair - then fight back.

I completely understand. My husband and I have had a few very uncomfortable discussions about her future including marriage. He goes on and on about Harvard, I sit there grinding my teeth. Then its my turn, she marries a cold, cheap, domineering, caveman, sexist bastard I kill him before he has a chance to knock her up.

Harvard isn't discussed for months to come, my husband still cringing from the image of me killing my son-in-law.

Hey Egyptian mother in laws towards son in laws can be brutal. Why not enjoy the idea of my future power?

He he he he he.....

I am sure she will bring up a sample of these arguments between me and my husband for every first date she has with a Muslim man. Possibly it will be her technique to test them?

Issabellem
Member # 6837

quote:

she marries a cold, cheap, domineering, caveman, sexist bastard I kill him before he has a chance to knock her up.

Whose the caveman? The Egyptian or the foreigner?

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Whose the caveman? The Egyptian or the foreigner?

well there are alot of Muslims raised in the USA now. My husband has met alot of them, and they have had an excellent effect on his attitude.

Though some can be real assholes.

So it could be either. I don't have a particular preference for my daughter Western Muslim or born Egyptian Muslim.

I just hope that either my relationship with my sister-in-law improves (she learn to trust me despite me being a kaffir infidel) or my mother-in-law lives to see my daughter get married.

I know even if my future son in law is a westerner I will have to go through all the motions and formal get to know you visits that the mothers of the prospective couple goes through.

Courting is not just a couples activity, its a activity between the family and I know I will play an extremely active role in the courtship. I don't think the customs will change alot in 20 or 30 years.

So who knows? Either way Westerner or Egyptian the boy will have to know I am the boss, I am the law, and my daughter is just a ball of giggles, hormones and young love all scrambled up, not to be trusted to go about the courtship alone without her suspiscious, protective, vicious mother there waiting for him to screw up.

How could his mother, aunts or granmother's trust a Muslimah who doesn't have a mother who cares enough to show just how mean she can be?

Come on, here this is a lifetime commitment, dance the dance, walk the walk, talk the talk. Get a little tradition in here.

Otherwise she can do what her mother and her aunt did. Go off and get married behind her parents back. Hey, it can be my first heart attack. Her father can have a stroke. It be her perfect chance to kill us off at the same time.

No I was joking. But no seriously here, it would kill us.

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 18 May 2005).]

Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You seem as angry with foreign women as I am with Egyptian men (and all the hypocrisy that surrounds them)

Personally, I think Egyptian Women are fantastic. If I had a son - I would certainly want an Egyptian wife for him. If I had a daughter on the other hand - I would think twice before I push an Egyptian Husband on her - just for the sake of cultural or even religion. I would be delighted to see her with ANY man - who loved her - and respected her, her traditions, her religion, and her family.

But I am not sure where all this talk (and anger) about foreign women fits into this post. I am talking about Egyptian women marrying foreign men. I would be great to send a message to Egyptian men - clean up you act (and your double standards) or look elsewhere for wives.

If the something isnt fair – then fight back – with your first, with your words, or with your heart – and that is the least you can do.

What's interesting is when you compare your testimony with that of A western woman praising Egyptian men and condemning western men, looks very similar to me, then see how some Egyptian men who married western women would say about Egyptian women and how some western men who married Egyptian women would say about them. I have heared all parties and they all contradict each other.

Every society has its problems and stuff like opression and hypocrisy is everywhere but it just takes different forms and for you to find out.

the human being are very complex and can't be grouped in general terms as some are trying to do here.

signed by an Egyptian man, Troubles101

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Issabellem
Member # 6837

As much as I would agree theoretically agree with you - take it from someone who had that kind of mother - it will backfire unless your daughter is in full agreement and cooperation with you.

At one point - you have to realize that your role is to be an example - and their decision is to follow or not

Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By doing that many Egyptians think they are protecting their kids and by doing the opposite westerners think they are respecting their kids' choices, westerns may see what Egyptians doing to be opression and Egyptians think westerner are uncaring about their kids life, the truth is their in the middle between both parties. Both love and care about their kids but their understanding and the way they express it is different.
Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

To me, kids need both restrictions and freedom , only restrictions kills any creativity inside kids and only freedom will waste alot of this creativity and spoil. restrictions decrease with time and freedom increase untill kids gain full grasp about aproporiate and not aporporiate within religion and good customs.

You can see the problems with unlimited freedom when you see girls getting pregnant at 12 in the west and you see the problems with restrictions when you see how men above 20s here still quite immature and big children but this of course is not general terms.

like baby birds you need to show them how to fly and sometimes push them yourself but at one point you will have to let them do it their way, and this time is the key, if you let them too early by their own they will suffer alot and if you do it too late they will take longer time to fly and suffer more later as they didn't rely on themselves enough time. and this is what parents need to be educated about everywhere, when to push and when to let free.

[This message has been edited by Troubles101 (edited 18 May 2005).]

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
As much as I would agree theoretically agree with you - take it from someone who had that kind of mother - it will backfire unless your daughter is in full agreement and cooperation with you.

At one point - you have to realize that your role is to be an example - and their decision is to follow or not

And I was being sarcastic to a point. I was trying to be funny.

At the same time there is the exaggerated example I used above. Then there's the example of western women trolling around for 'yummy young men'.

As a western who got married and didn't tell my parents about it until a few months later while my husband was smart enough to tell his parents in advance.

I want to find a nice middle ground between what we did and the traditional example I used above. Because being an influence on my daughter by getting married in the way we did, well not thinking about it at the time, we shot ourselves in the foot behaving that way. Its not a good example.

I don't want her to follow my example or her aunts example by running off and getting married without a word to her parents. But I want the dialog to open, wide open when she is in college especially. I want to be part of the process, otherwise the 'daughter like mother' syndrome will ruin people's respect for her. I don't want what we did to become a tradgy for her.

ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi hams!
My husband`s aunt was married to a foreign guy..They have met abroad,they fell in love with each other ,so the guy decided to convert to Islam and get married.for few months they stayed in Canada but then the auntie said she wanna come and live in egyptThe guy didnt object.The guy found a nice job here blabla...the problem was at them,that the guy became VERY religious muslim,even more then any egyptian would b and he started judging the Auntie in everything wht she did.By time he wanted to force her to wear hijab,get rid of her dog,wear more conservative clothes etc..Ofcourse the Auntie was fed up with the guy and with his behaviour and she divorced him.I just wrote this story for u hams coz u were interested in such stories .so,this is mine take care

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Attorney at Law
Member # 6396

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Attorney at Law     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear hams,

For any quistions please visit: www.egypt-law.com

or send Email to: info@egypt-law.com

Posts: 94 | From: Nasr City, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tigerlily:
[B]Another question: Any Egyptian woman here on board who is married to a foreign man, a non-muslim who converted to Islam for being able to marry the lady of his dreams?

I know Salama is......... give us some insight - not on your marriage necessarily - but how do you see marriages between an Egyptian woman and a foreign man? What are the pros and contras?

Well, Tiger, Geoff did not convert for me alone. He was already reading the Quran before he met me.

All seem great even after 12 yrs of marriage, the only con is the" in laws" bless them.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:

Wow, hams, I didn't hear comments like yours so far. You must belong to the new generation of Egyptian women. I usually had the impression that the would more or less all go the traditional way by marrying an Egyptian man which is also supported by their families. Or do many Egptian women imagine to marry a foreigner and even live overseas?

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yaser12345:
Dear hams,

For any quistions please visit: www.egypt-law.com

or send Email to: info@egypt-law.com

Maybe you should check whether your advertisement is in any way related to the thread ...

mike_mike
Member # 7719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike_mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well for me, if two people are truly in love and can overcome culutral and religious differences (which is not easy) then why not?

Mike

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike_mike
Member # 7719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike_mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
I can't agree on that, Hams. For every Egyptian woman who marries a foreign man (= a non-muslim before marriage) there are at least 100 marriages of an Egyptian man to a foreign woman (my own rough guess ). So I don't think its common. Does anything have statistics about that?

Would be also interesting to know how many of these unions (Egyptian man or woman marries a foreigner) heading for divorce in the first couple of years because grant it a big role plays cultural differences.

I believe some of the Egyptian women also looking for a relationship with a foreigner to have a different life style and more choice of freedom of what they want to do with their life.

Hi Tigerlily,
Well I think that in any mixed marriage or relationship there will be problems and difficulties. In any areas of the realtionship let it be religious or cultural or another.

I guess it the same all over the world, there are good and bad people who good married (let it be man or woman of any religion) who marry for all the wrong reasons and some who marry for the all the good reason. Beliving in each other, trusting each other and respecting one another.

So if an Egyptian woman wants to marry a foreigner then should she should have the freedom to choose, but I think it should be discussed with the family and everything like any other marriage in the world.

I never been to Cairo or Egypt but from what I have been reading on Egy boards there are some people who believe in tradition and opening up. I prefer the latter and I would think Educated Egyptian women would to.

Mike

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike_mike
Member # 7719

Rate Member
quote:

Do do you mean that and Egyptian women care more about marrying a man who has “purity, chastity, and religion??or do you mean that an Egyptian woman cares more about having “purity, chastity, religion?in her life?

Either way you mean it ?I don’t see what your justification or logic for WHY Egyptian women are less likely to marry foreign men..

Tigerlily - I agree that it happens much more with Egyptian men marrying foreign women .. but they shouldn’t have a monopoly! If they think foreign women are all that ?
Great - so do I.

I would guess the statistics on divorce are the same anyway you look at it - regardless of which is foreign - even regardless if they are both (educated, liberal, or however you want to say it) Egyptians.

But I also think that foreign men are all that ?and then some. And, its my opinion that they RESPECT AND VALUE Egyptian women a lot more than Egyptian men do. They may be more likely to get divorced - but divorce is a relatity both in Egypt and abraod. Personally, if I had a sh*t husband - foreign or egyptian, I would much rather have a divorce than live unhappily. Egyptian women who dont agree with that - yes, they should stick to Egyptian men.

I think it would be FANTASTIC to see more Egyptian women marrying foreign men. The ones who practice Islam can convert their future husbands ?and the ones who don’t care PRACTICE ?why put up a big show.. they will be judged for it latter.

Hi Hams,
How are you, I was just reading your post. From what I can gather you are views are not the norm in Egypt among Egyptian women whom most are conservative and very traditional. I must say your views are indeed refreshing to see.

I am a white male and I can say that an
American or European (remember there are good and bad) would care about what you think, how you feel, what you want, respect your opionion, respect your culture, family, and religion. I guess that goes for all guys who really care for their girl no matter from where they may be from.

That is what I think anyways.

[This message has been edited by mike_mike (edited 21 May 2005).]

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hams:

Many Egyptian women are marrying foreign men - for the very same reasons that Egyptian men marry foreign women.

What are these reasons, Hams?
if passport and live abroad? Then I had the opportunity to get our mother's French passport and I lived abroad a good portion of my life.
If for sex, then. Stay at home. You would be better off then.
Money? well, my father and his mother paid us the deposite for our first house.
for six out of the 12 years marriage we both were students.
Then, perhaps mutual love and respect..!

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mike_mike:

I am a white male and I can say that an
American or European (remember there are good and bad) would care about what you think, how you feel, what you want, respect your opionion, respect your culture, family, and religion.

Mike, where do you live ? I do not see this in England..! Respect your culture?and religion? News to me.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com