EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Western women low class? Depends which way you look at it (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Western women low class? Depends which way you look at it
gigli
Member # 7682

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for gigli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im absolutely furious at some of the simple-minded comments that has been made in regards to foreign women. Firstly not all foreigners are from the same country with the same culture. No i was not raised Muslim. But hey guess what. I was raised God fearing, self respecting and important I have respect for other people. I find Egyptians are very much more interested in other peoples mistakes than their own. Of course I am not generalizing here but people wake up, look at your own faults first before you judge others. All of us are sinners before God. Its for him to judge, not for people. As regards to Egyptian girls?! Not all are as respecting as they seem so maybe foreign judging girls have a look at your own back yard first.Ive been with my fiance for almost two years now. Im not a jealous person in the least and trust him with my life. I have however noticed that some, so called classy Egyptian girls have little respect for other peoples relationships or feelings. Is this because Im not Egyptian? Ive been harassed, my email hacked, my phone number gotten somehow, horrible emails sent to my friends, sneaky things to make me look guilty, other girls have met me chatted with me then proceeded to hunt my fiance in the most disrespectful way. I find it insulting. My fiance worked in the tourist industry and met many foreign girls who liked him a lot, but knowing he's enganged, proceeded to be only friends in a very respectful way. In my country girls might be less religious in general, but we have respect for relationships and other people's feelings. Further when I walk with him in the street, Im always dressed respectfully and behave myself as is fitted to Egyptian moral society, but find that girls stare at him in a sleazy, sexual manner and then give me dirty looks!!! What is this? So Masriya Girls if any of you are nice relationship respecting girls, I would really like ot hear from you and your opinion in regards to these girls.
Posts: 458 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gigli:
Im absolutely furious at some of the simple-minded comments that has been made in regards to foreign women. Firstly not all foreigners are from the same country with the same culture. No i was not raised Muslim. But hey guess what. I was raised God fearing, self respecting and important I have respect for other people. I find Egyptians are very much more interested in other peoples mistakes than their own. Of course I am not generalizing here but people wake up, look at your own faults first before you judge others. All of us are sinners before God. Its for him to judge, not for people. As regards to Egyptian girls?! Not all are as respecting as they seem so maybe foreign judging girls have a look at your own back yard first.Ive been with my fiance for almost two years now. Im not a jealous person in the least and trust him with my life. I have however noticed that some, so called classy Egyptian girls have little respect for other peoples relationships or feelings. Is this because Im not Egyptian? Ive been harassed, my email hacked, my phone number gotten somehow, horrible emails sent to my friends, sneaky things to make me look guilty, other girls have met me chatted with me then proceeded to hunt my fiance in the most disrespectful way. I find it insulting. My fiance worked in the tourist industry and met many foreign girls who liked him a lot, but knowing he's enganged, proceeded to be only friends in a very respectful way. In my country girls might be less religious in general, but we have respect for relationships and other people's feelings. Further when I walk with him in the street, Im always dressed respectfully and behave myself as is fitted to Egyptian moral society, but find that girls stare at him in a sleazy, sexual manner and then give me dirty looks!!! What is this? So Masriya Girls if any of you are nice relationship respecting girls, I would really like ot hear from you and your opinion in regards to these girls.

Hi Gigli, I too am Western.
Don't worry about these things...they really don't matter too much.
You can find good and bad anywhere, just stay grounded & you will be fine.
Take care.

Posts: 1706 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who attacked foreign women? and its not masriya girls, its masriyat
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigli
Member # 7682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So your saying that some Egyptians dont judge foreigners even on this forum?
Are you foreigner? Thanx for your spelling advice, at least I try

quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:
who attacked foreign women? and its not masriya girls, its masriyat

Posts: 458 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and are you telling me that egyptian women and people in general are not attacked in this forum? and yes i'm egyptian. and i know many foreigners married to egyptian men and they are very respected. as akshar pointed egypt is a large society and every case is different. half of my family are married to either foreign men and women. and they are all respected. personally i love it when i see an egyptian man/woman in a relationship with a foreigner, its great to know that people from different cultures can meet in the middle and create a loving relationship. basically what i'm trying to say is do not generalize. a cousin of mine married an english girl who turned out to be a bitch and cheated on him with some lebanese photographer so they divorced, which is said since they have a lovely daughter. anyway this guy now is in love with a girl from aregentina and will marry her, and let me tell you no one objected. not one person. anyway i feel this is a repeated topic, check out tigerlily's post about egyptian/foreign marriages.

best

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigli, good work..to speak up.
I feel same as u..

I get respect from egyptians who know me..but others, they are mostly not nice for me..
Are they jealous cause i have nice sweet egyptian man..one who could be their dream husband..
And i damn foreignal girl took him..

Mostly bad attension comes anyway from men..and in my country,this kind of attension get only "streetladys"...
i dont know what this men are thinking..are they knowing that it hurt me, do they know that i feel like i dont get any respect from them..

I am not perfect, my country is not perfect..
At least i can say it..
I am proud, but i am not living in dreams..where everything is only good and nice..
I like to talk problems and bad things..it is natural to have problems..and speak up..
Life is not paradise,not even here in egypt..

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I also had some gr8 experiences..Once i was in a vegetable market buying things with my husband and an old woman was standing beside us.she asked my husband why r we buying vegetables coz western women cant cook for sure.like puppy said i only get respect from the people we know but when im on the street,even with my husband,people say bad things,men stare at me but what is worse,women r about to kill me with their eyes.then when we go and sit at a cafe usually the waiter asks my husband if he is a tourist guide.hmm..interesting
Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigli
Member # 7682

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for gigli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uv misd my point.My fiance+his family r wondrful.Im talking 2 those peopl who pretend 2 b religious but hav no qualms thinking they hav th al-knowing knowledge 2 judge wher they hav no clue.Men giving disgusting looks evn im not dresd provocativly.Coz im foreign&easy?Girls smiling in my face but then show so litl regard 4 my relationship.It hurts when uv done nothing but lov ur partner,bn friendly 2 these peopl.U seem 2 b sensible.Does this hapn 2 Egyptian girls also?Why so litl respect for othrs feelings +relationships?Its so sad 2 say iv not met 1 egyptian girl that showd regard &respect 2 me regarding my relationship.Evrytime i was happy about a new friend and evry disapointd.Evn maried women.Why?Maybe im 2 soft,2 nice 2 these people.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Alex, coptic taxi drivers would poke at my brother in law and sister in law that I was the rich cowife.

My sister in law had a heart attack. Somehow about 10 other taxi drivers coptic and muslim went on the verbal attack.

Worse yet, at the Sheraton Montazah Hilton Gulf Arab women demand that my passport be checked to make sure I wasn't a russian prostitute. Blond hair, blue eyes, young. I could see where they were going with it, but again my sister in law nearly died on the spot. Tourist police have inspected my passport too, asking who I was married to and why was I traveling with Egyptians. Co-wife question came up again. Sister in law nearly slapped that penciled necked ugly F*cker head off right there. She was in the killing mode. I blew off a crack, remarking that my brother in law was too ugly and smelly for me. Somehow these tourist police knew enough english to laugh.

Only a handful of young Egyptian women have given me hell. Yet somehow there is always a middle aged or elderly Egyptian around to give her an earful.

I have been excessively lucky.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Does this hapn 2 Egyptian girls also?

Duh, yes! Of course, constantly especially when the girl is pretty.

Geesh, why do you think they dish it out so much? Because it happened to them too.

If they weren't criticizing you they wouldn't consider you part of their society. They are including you. Its strange, it hurts, but you are family now.

Egyptians are thick skinned, this is normal. Come on, get used to it. Yet by the time you pump out a grandchild it will all settle down and people will leave you alone. Might explain why couples are so quick to have children?!?!

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 18 May 2005).]

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

If they weren't criticizing you they wouldn't consider you part of their society. They are including you. Its strange, it hurts, but you are family now.

[This message has been edited by sonomod (edited 18 May 2005).]

Have to tell you that most Egyptians as you know don't have direct relationships with non Egyptians except egyptians in places like Hurghada and sharm and those are few, the rest of us unfortunatly happen to get only one source for information about the west which is Holywood, Before I know any westerner I rememebr when I used to watch that soap "the bold and the beautiful' which was very famous here, in that soap almost every man slept with every woman , I would stop watching it for few days and come back finding "thorn?" with another woman and the woman he had before now with his brother then to his father and and ... this stuff usually stressed the idea that Egyptians have deep inside them about western women.

[This message has been edited by Troubles101 (edited 18 May 2005).]

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles101:
Have to tell you that most Egyptians as you know don't have direct relationships with non Egyptians except egyptians in places like Hurghada and sharm and those are few, the rest of us unfortunatly happen to get only one source for information about the west which is Holywood, Before I know any westerner I rememebr when I used to watch that soap "the bold and the beautiful' which was very famous here, in that soap almost every man slept with every woman , I would stop watching it for few days and come back finding "thorn?" with another woman and the woman he had before now with his brother then to his father and and ... this stuff usually stressed the idea that Egyptians have deep inside them about western women.

lovely~

Posts: 1706 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ViVaLaDiVa:
Yes I also had some gr8 experiences..Once i was in a vegetable market buying things with my husband and an old woman was standing beside us.she asked my husband why r we buying vegetables coz western women cant cook for sure.like puppy said i only get respect from the people we know but when im on the street,even with my husband,people say bad things,men stare at me but what is worse,women r about to kill me with their eyes.then when we go and sit at a cafe usually the waiter asks my husband if he is a tourist guide.hmm..interesting

In America we call this 'insecurity'.
I won't say this happens for sure with Egyptian girls, I don't know them & haven't been to Egypt yet, but I can say IF it happens, it is an insecurity problem.

[This message has been edited by nooralhaq (edited 18 May 2005).]

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I tried to make that point about Egyptian women marrying foreign men. Most Egyptians don't see a tourist all their life. Only a few work in tourism. The view of America most Brits have is from soaps but Americans aren't like Friends or LA LAw or Sex in the City!!!!

It is the same for Egyptians their view of Westerners is gained from movies and soaps. the few of them that interact with tourists might find those sterotypes re-enforced by some tourists and those are the ones that get talked about.

A few months ago a Western tourist walked down the Corniche wearing a bikini and a seethru sarong, at one point she took of her sarong and carried on in just the bikini. You better bet that everyone talked about her and forgot the hords of offenceless holiday makers who were also walking down the Corniche wear perfectly respectable clothes.

So a combination of TV and a few silly tourists, this could be your only experience of Westerners. No wonder people get the wrong idea.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigli
Member # 7682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So egyptian girls dont do this 2 each othr?When we visit my country evry1 just look at us&smile.No evil eyes.No girls being strange.I was so in love with Egypt.Its so sad.Yuckie boys reading this :ur gross when u perv+ u look like idiots.Girls:im a girl just like u.I hav feelings.My fiance is with me coz of lov,respect and wondrful friendship.Not bcoz im an easy foreigner.Respect us girls who lovs an egyptian man.We realy hav 2 lov him lots coz th rest of egypt makes it hard.2 th good girls:God bless u.
1mangang
Member # 6403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1mangang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whatever

[This message has been edited by 1mangang (edited 18 May 2005).]

Posts: 751 | From: US OF A | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gigli,
people do this everywhere in the world.
But i'm not suprise,if u can feel it specially here..
People are here so different kind of..
They are so open, they speak before they think..if they even think too much..
They wanted to get attension...
They dont care feelings..of course their own,but not others.
Like my husband said, in cairo, u must be strong,u must be winner..or u dont get anything from ur life..u cant be too sensitive,or have feelings..
I'm kind of shy person and i dont like noisy people.. i never met any shy egyptian or quiet..
So i dont know..i like more real people,with own personality..what ever it is..but be ur self..

I dont have any young egyptian friends,only midle ages..They are nice..
I feel more comfortable with older people, i feel like my own age girls are babys..they act like that. I can image them to do just like u say..try to come between me and my husband,without any respect.

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
sonomod i dont understand why you make it a point to specify the religions of the taxi drivers?
1mangang
Member # 6403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1mangang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
sonomod i dont understand why you make it a point to specify the religions of the taxi drivers?

NOT ONLY THAT SHE IS SO JEALOUS OF GULF ARAB WOMEN

Posts: 751 | From: US OF A | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies, take it from an old ugly woman like me, who travelled the world many times over, I have never ever seen as bitch women as I have seen in the west..!

The only people who objected to my marriage to my British husband were the western women at work.How could you, Geoff ? one British nurse screemed at my husband while already engaged..!

Amazingly the only question I was asked by all Arabs, Egyptians and non, if my husband to be was a Moslem?

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
salama, im happy you replied to this topic. i was wondering, when will salama say something? people have to understand that there are two sides of every coin!!
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Because it was a coptic christain that were being rude because only a Muslim man would indulge in having two wives. He was being malicious.

Then of course we must remember that both Christians and Muslims had the capacity to be sensitive and stick up for a fellow sister- Egyptian.

Meaning even if a few coptic taxi drivers had their heads firmly up their arse doesn't mean that all do. Kind of a way of seeing beyond their religion barrier.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:

And how foolish are people to believe everything they see on TV as the literal truth?

Uff.

My father in law worked in KSA for several years helping to put together a college education system for women. He worked with lots of western women. He gained a huge respect for them. So he brought this home on every other weekend to see his family and shared his experience.

Possibly why neither my father in law nor my mother in law freaked when we got married. They weren't worried.

american gal
Member # 7382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for american gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Gigli,
As far as women leering at your man... that happens the world over. Some women and some men want what they can't have because they are such miserable souls. They want to ruin everyone else's joy. Don't let these people (wherever you are) get to you... they're not worth it. As for being stared at while in Egypt... unfortunately, if you look different, you'll be stared at. You CAN have fun with it, of course. While my fiance (who is Egyptian) and I visited last year for six weeks, I got so sick of the men staring (and just ignoring it like a sheepish "lady") that I started staring back and giving them funny looks. My fiance began telling them off (in English) because he was just so sick of them, too. Then we'd just laugh our a**es off!! I know it seems so ridiculous to be looked at like you're from another planet (just because your hair is blond or you're fair skinned or you wear a pair of jeans or whatever), but remember there are worse things in the world. Just grin and bear it (or give it right back to them!!). And remember, there are MANY Egyptians who are warm, welcoming, and so so kind!! Take care.

quote:

Posts: 44 | From: Massachusetts - U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Gigli, I do understand what you were trying to say in your posts. I had sometimes problems getting accepted by Egyptians, mostly by the guys. Even if you dress appropriately, try not to give any attention ...... they still hit on you.

And its true the Egyptian girls do stare but I didn't care cause I was really proud of my man (he was all mine ).

When he came to visit me in Germany I noticed that many girls looked at him over and over again. Kind of scary but what could I have done? He was good-looking and these people where not used to see foreigners anyway at that time......

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
sonomod, you assumed the guy is copt just because he asked your husband if you are a second wife? muslim men joke about this stuff all the time too, big deal!
gigli
Member # 7682

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for gigli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was great to hear everyone's stories and opinions. Dont get me wrong I completely understand women looking, becoz hes very attractive and for sure its a compliment to know so many s want to marry him and be with him and he chose me. Hes gorgeous who wouldnt look but I draw the line at giving me evil bithcy glares. Its the disregard towards me, his partner walking beside him, holding his hand that I'm not used to. Ive lived in different countries all over the world and never have I seen such blatant disregard for no reason. Of course it goes both ways, men make the most appaling remarks even when im with my fiance. WHAT?! He however gets to be angry and shout back and want to rip their limbs off, whereas I have to grin and bear it. I say enough. when i feel wicked some days I feel like asking one of these s if shes interested in threesome coz she seems desperate enough! But of course my pride wants to give her a big black eye. In London if you sit on the tube(Im sure travellers know this) and you give someone a strange look you'll get such a blasting your ego will be flattened forever. Yes, s look at him in other countries and sure men look at me in other countries but this type of behaviour Ive encountered belongs in Corny movies. ITS NOT NORMAL. As to the so-called friends the details would make all sensitive women sleepless and soap opera writers would kill for these storylines. Some have come screaming like banshees at his home, some are plain manipulative sneaky. Ive known someone in another country who used to be blatantly jealous and throw herself at my sister's boyfriend and be rude to my sister, SHE WAS HOWEVER 3 YEARS OLD. Acting like a wild animal in heat who just spotted the last male of her species, is not on.Im surprised to see mature women acting this way. What happend to getting the hint? Listen Chickie even though youve known him for how many years if he doesnt answer you 36 missed calls (serious) from the last hour or the 21 sms and, wait for it, he tells you in no uncertain terms to get a life, why the hell are you still doing bugging my life? Its many s not just one. Its also many sleazeball men not just one. So maybe us s should also pounce until they pick up their teeth with broken arms, but then again who'd want to risk your manicure on trash. Maybe we should have a national 'stand up day' where instead of ignoring this vileness we stand up for ourselves and ask them what are they looking at, very loudly. If its a guy and he has a smart ass remark tell him you already have one ass hole in your undies you dont need another.
1mangang
Member # 6403

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
Because it was a coptic christain that were being rude because only a Muslim man would indulge in having two wives. He was being malicious.

dont christian mormons sometimes do the same thing?

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by american gal:
Dear Gigli,
As far as women leering at your man... that happens the world over. Some women and some men want what they can't have because they are such miserable souls. They want to ruin everyone else's joy. Don't let these people (wherever you are) get to you... they're not worth it. As for being stared at while in Egypt... unfortunately, if you look different, you'll be stared at. You CAN have fun with it, of course. While my fiance (who is Egyptian) and I visited last year for six weeks, I got so sick of the men staring (and just ignoring it like a sheepish "lady") that I started staring back and giving them funny looks. My fiance began telling them off (in English) because he was just so sick of them, too. Then we'd just laugh our a**es off!! I know it seems so ridiculous to be looked at like you're from another planet (just because your hair is blond or you're fair skinned or you wear a pair of jeans or whatever), but remember there are worse things in the world. Just grin and bear it (or give it right back to them!!). And remember, there are MANY Egyptians who are warm, welcoming, and so so kind!! Take care.

American Girl, your post made me smile so much You are right in what you said. Yes, you can find this behavior anywhere. Without getting too personal, it is even done here in the States amongst races, am I right?

I agree with your advice to Gigli, have fun with it! I certainly would! Men here do their fair share of staring in their own ways and how do we react? Most times ignoring it, giving them dirty looks, funny faces, laughing at them out loud (which that is my personal favorite), etc. The same can be done with the women she encounters. Have fun with them, try reverse psychology, look at them and laugh out loud, if anything it will make them wonder what the heck you're laughing at long enough to throw them off. Remember, you don't have to plan on attending every argument you're invited to. Control the situation in your own way Gigli. Best of luck my friend.
Take care.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by 1mangang:
dont christian mormons sometimes do the same thing?

Yes they do, but very few. And now those polygamous families have to live in towns with other polygamous couples. Possibly for safety. I know from mormon classmates who are just going to school in my state, that these polygamous families are really hated.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
sonomod, you assumed the guy is copt just because he asked your husband if you are a second wife? muslim men joke about this stuff all the time too, big deal!

No because he was the taxi driver who drove us from one cab stop to another in order to travel from Alexandria to Cairo. Taxi drivers don't often drive outside of their 'region'. He even asked me about whether I was a christian still or not and then went on to ask which guy was my husband, purposedly pointing at my sister-in-law's husband first. Which at that point all 6 people in the car starting shouting that my husband was back in America working and I was traveling to Egypt alone. This same taxi driver gave me a wooden cross with Jurselam burnt into it on a leather strap to remember my trip into Alex, what he refered to as the largest northern population of Copts. Which I know isn't factual.

After we got out of the vehicle to start looking for a car large enough for 6 people going to Cairo, that same taxi driver went to a group of other taxi drivers who had cruxifics and tattoos on thier wrist and pointed at me. One of the taxi drivers who was just passing by the group pointed and yelled in Arabic that I was a co-wife "here's a woman that will pay alot for a ride back into Cairo." He also had a coptic tatoo on his wrist. I could see it when he was pointing. This was explained to me by another driver standing around who couldn't drive us back to Cairo but wanted me to know what was going on becuause my sister in law started to cry. He thought he'd give me a heads up before I got alot of negative feedback or 'blame' from my sister-in-law on the ride home.

That's why this intial group of copts taxi drivers and a swell of Muslim taxi drivers chased him down and started shouting at him. I think one guy threw rocks at the driver who made this fraudulent attack.

Along with being questioned by Hotel staff and tourist police right and left for why I was traveling with Egyptians, the question of me being a cowife came up again and again. Most of the cowife questions were asked by men with crosses around their necks. This made the first trips to Alexandria unbearable for my sister in law.

Possibly due to this, my father in law bought two apartments in Alex, both next to the ocean and in nice neighborhoods. My name and my husband's name is on one of the apartments and the doormen of both buildings will hiss that my husband's in America to other tenants. Now I have a little permenancy in Alex and the news gets around. Plus about 8 months a year anywhere from twice a month to 3 days a week my daughter and a bunch of family go there to swim in the ocean and enjoy themselves.

So the first two weekends there before dad bought the apartments were tough. Now we have different travel arrangements because the Taxi depot really rattles my sister-in-laws cage.

Yes Muslim men may joke about it, but a coptic man insulting my sister-in-law at a taxi depot where we are the only women around is another thing.

american gal
Member # 7382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for american gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nooralhaq! I'm glad I made you smile... life's too short to take it too seriously, huh? I never felt "stared" at (while with my fiance) to this degree at all in the states. Sure, I'm sure some bigoted people may look at us and wonder (me with blond hair and fair skin/ him with black hair and olive skin) but, overall, I've never felt like we were on "display" while walking through Boston. In Egypt, however, I felt like a piece of meat walking down the street, even though my fiance was always by my side. I've never experienced a man leering at me in the U.S. while my fiance was next to me. Oh well, like you said, just have fun with it, huh? Sometimes it's fun to totally shock people by your reaction!! Take care.
quote:
Originally posted by nooralhaq:
American Girl, your post made me smile so much You are right in what you said. Yes, you can find this behavior anywhere. Without getting too personal, it is even done here in the States amongst races, am I right?

I agree with your advice to Gigli, have fun with it! I certainly would! Men here do their fair share of staring in their own ways and how do we react? Most times ignoring it, giving them dirty looks, funny faces, laughing at them out loud (which that is my personal favorite), etc. The same can be done with the women she encounters. Have fun with them, try reverse psychology, look at them and laugh out loud, if anything it will make them wonder what the heck you're laughing at long enough to throw them off. Remember, you don't have to plan on attending every argument you're invited to. Control the situation in your own way Gigli. Best of luck my friend.
Take care.

Posts: 44 | From: Massachusetts - U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes they do it to each other too (on the topic of are they just b* to foreigners). i remember being shocked when a divorced friend told me that once she was divorced, lot of her married female friends stopped inviting her over to their home (afraid she was going to go after their husbands.)

it's the stuff of soap operas and i still can't believe half of it.

as to do they receive the same treatment on street from men as foreigners? definitely not. i have seen girls in skin tight outfits walk in front of me without a comment but the same men would focus their unwanted attention on me (who was dressed in loose clothing). it's not about who is prettier or more exotic looking - it's simply because they know that if they dare say something to an egyptian woman, she would raise hell and shame them right there on the spot. they might even get a whooping from other fellow passerbys. if you look like a foreigner, they assume you (1) don't understand what they're saying and definitely (2) won't do anything about it.

it helps not to wear jeans and look like a tourist.

it also helps to stop dead on the spot and give them the most disguisted look you can with a cold face.

then slowly walk away.

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 23 May 2005).]

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suzanna
Member # 6258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suzanna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gigli-- so happy that you brought this issue to surface and pleased with the supportive comments from a few-- am american and been in this country for 7 years and this issue of the egyptian girls still amazes me -- I suppose it is because we are a minority so it stings more. Being engaged or married seems to have little relevance to some and thier tactics to get the attention of your man is overwhelming -- let us be honest there are many men who fall for this -- but if you have a good trustful man -- great and ignore them -- I do -- but I admit sometimes it gets to me -- thanks for speaking up.
Posts: 54 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by american gal:
Hi Nooralhaq! I'm glad I made you smile... life's too short to take it too seriously, huh? I never felt "stared" at (while with my fiance) to this degree at all in the states. Sure, I'm sure some bigoted people may look at us and wonder (me with blond hair and fair skin/ him with black hair and olive skin) but, overall, I've never felt like we were on "display" while walking through Boston. In Egypt, however, I felt like a piece of meat walking down the street, even though my fiance was always by my side. I've never experienced a man leering at me in the U.S. while my fiance was next to me. Oh well, like you said, just have fun with it, huh? Sometimes it's fun to totally shock people by your reaction!! Take care.

absolutely!

nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Suzanna:
gigli-- so happy that you brought this issue to surface and pleased with the supportive comments from a few-- am american and been in this country for 7 years and this issue of the egyptian girls still amazes me -- I suppose it is because we are a minority so it stings more. Being engaged or married seems to have little relevance to some and thier tactics to get the attention of your man is overwhelming -- let us be honest there are many men who fall for this -- but if you have a good trustful man -- great and ignore them -- I do -- but I admit sometimes it gets to me -- thanks for speaking up.

Ma Sha Allah for the men who ignore this behavior, they are truly gifts.

sadik12
Member # 7618

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sadik12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question? It seems that when you read info about Egyptian culture (including married to an arab), it says that the husband is considered head of house, with all of the respect and resposibility that goes along with that role, and the wife is more subserviant in her role. If this is so true, how is it that Egyptian women, in reality, are "scene creators" (as described above) and so very outspoken about other women, even to their husbands? You would think this to be inconsistent.
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi sadik12!

It’s because Egyptian women are just as good as western woman, if not better, at pandering to a man’s ego and making him think he is in charge, that way she gets what she wants more easily!

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
i hate to break it to you guys, but sexual harrasment in the streets of cairo is a really serious problem and is directed at anything that is female. i get harrased all the time. i've been harrased so much that when i started working as a journalist i chose my first article to be about sexual harrasment in the streets. and expat, what you're saying is wrong, egyptian girls get harrased ALL THE TIME. i have yet to meet a girl who has not been harrased! even my veiled friends complain about it. they walk around with their veil and long flowing clothes and still hissing and cat calling in the streets.
i really find it hilarious that foreign women think they are being harrased just because they are non-egyptians. are u guys blind? do you know any egyptian girls? because if you do ask them what happens to them when they walk in the streets?!
why their is harrasment on the streets in egypt? thats a completely different story and one definitly worthy of discussion

ps: stop this conspiracy theory mentality

american gal
Member # 7382

Rate Member
So are you saying that if an Egyptian woman walks with her Egyptian husband by her side that the pigs on the street will still leer at her and say sexually explicit things to her? Then shame on the husbands, they ought to tell these pigs off, not leave it up to the women! My point was that even with my fiance next to me (who is Egyptian), the other men were still very very disgusting and I didn't notice them doing that to totally Egyptian couples. An unaccompanied Egyptian woman, I have no doubt that they would harrass. I'm pretty sure I wasn't floating any conspiracy theory... I wouldn't waste my time coming up with something so ridiculous.

quote:
i hate to break it to you guys, but sexual harrasment in the streets of cairo is a really serious problem and is directed at anything that is female. i get harrased all the time. i've been harrased so much that when i started working as a journalist i chose my first article to be about sexual harrasment in the streets. and expat, what you're saying is wrong, egyptian girls get harrased ALL THE TIME. i have yet to meet a girl who has not been harrased! even my veiled friends complain about it. they walk around with their veil and long flowing clothes and still hissing and cat calling in the streets.
i really find it hilarious that foreign women think they are being harrased just because they are non-egyptians. are u guys blind? do you know any egyptian girls? because if you do ask them what happens to them when they walk in the streets?!
why their is harrasment on the streets in egypt? thats a completely different story and one definitly worthy of discussion

ps: stop this conspiracy theory mentality

Alana
Member # 6453

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American Gal,
I really enjoyed your posts.
They are so true.
Take a walk sometime in a "gulf country" like Kuwait,Bahrain,UAE, etc. . When I was working there,
It didn't matter if you had a dress on , jeans , etc.
Men literally stopped what they were doing"came out of their shops" glaring, it was so funny. It can be annoying though, the grocery stores can be a headache.
I could relate to that totally , the blond hair, fairer skin we have.
Arab women in veils they didn't dare make comments or glances at.
I remember one man saying to my girlfriend, "white meat"...she said what a pervert!

Try to pull off the road and take pictures of the sea, and tons of cars pulling off the road, like it was a show going on! Arab men following you in malls, by car, etc.
If you think that was bad take a "walk in an old souk"(market).......many foreign women would throw a abaya(black veil) around them for these men hardly ever viewed an uncovered "woman", your shopping experience would turn into a nightmare.With the bartar system still used it could take hours! Like it still
In egypt though , on the buses I have heard of problems in the past, with even egyptian women being raped, in the back of the bus. From the over crowded buses, cases have been reported.
An arab man on the street usually fears to harass an arab women generally, due to the culture, that their brother, father, husband, will kill them literally.
On the subject of "american soaps" mentioned like "Bold and Beautiful" they forget I remember couple years back.....Taylor crashed in a plane and "Prince Omar rescued her...she was Princess Leila" living in his palace. In Love madly with her and had his harem of women there.
Believe me ,they have the same kind of "soaps and dramas" the music gets loud and they stare ....she leave him for another man or vice versa. I even saw a funny one once that was on tv overseas, they portrayed the american women arriving ,the mother -in- law all stressed out, them talking bad behind her back(new bride) she even brought her "poodle" with her, it portrayed(american bride) like she "can't get her hands dirty type",(picky) to uppity...it was funny!
So they produce the same kinds of shows to stereotype americans as well!
You have to take it all in stride and laugh!
I always loved the egyptian actor that had that funny show like" american Candid Camera version", they did tricks on people, can't remember his name. Liked it better than the one in the states, he was so funny.
Back to to the subject, low-class isn't your jeans, hair color, etc.
Believe me I have seen women in black abayas, go into hotel salons restricted for "women only" male stylists doing their hair, throw off the veil, prop up their feet, light a cigarette, flirt with the men, put the tip "deep down their pocket" if you know what I mean, and these are married arab women.
So it goes on in every country.
But my opinion has always been if you follow a religion to the T......why hide behind it then? Be yourself and smile, and who cares if people accept you. This trip american gal, be careful, not your fault but on the streets a lot of built up tensions, I wouldn't personally suggest, laughing at some. You might get an american hater, not their fault, but it is getting taken out out innocent americans, and others there right now. Be Careful

Posts: 273 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigli
Member # 7682

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for gigli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok great guys. Im sure these guys would die on the spot if you said something back really loudly! But how do cope with these women. Ignoring doesnt work, it just escalates! Of course habibi is fantastic, but normally only s realize how yuckie another is being and guys normally think your overreacting and that theyll go away in due time. BUT THEY DONT. I dont think you can have a realistic conversation with these types of s but what do you do if it really gets you down? OH yes and someone said something about Egyptians knowing how to work their men?! Fabulous your so right, they really know how! Please give us some tips?
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Yes, just out of curosity, how do you think these Egyptian men would react to this type of reaction (dirty looks, laughing at them, cold remarks)? I know here in the states it has one of two desired effects: either the men get pissed off and shout horrible mean things to you, or they shut up, embarrassed in front of others. I just am curious if anyone might know how these Egyptian men will/would react?
Take care.

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gigli:
[B]So egyptian girls dont do this 2 each othr?When we visit my country evry1 just look at us&smile.No evil eyes.No girls being strange.I was so in love with Egypt.Its so sad.Yuckie boys reading this :ur gross when u perv+ u look like idiots.Girls:im a girl just like u.I hav feelings.My fiance is with me coz of lov,respect and wondrful friendship.Not bcoz im an easy foreigner.Respect us girls who lovs an egyptian man.We realy hav 2 lov him lots coz th rest of egypt makes it hard.2 th good girls:God bless u.

Gigli,
Forgive me as I did not read all of the replies to your original post.

It is the human nature to fear the difference-anything different, and this happens any where. But, we, women, sadly are more sensitive toward the changes.
Bitch (I do not like this word, but do not know alternative) moaning, and nagging creature-Ask my long suffering husband, he has this type at his home 24hrs/day.
Believe me, I was myself harassed many times in the UK-but I took it kindly-I am different, that was the reason.

The representation of the western women in the media-as many here said previously has got a lot to do with how we, in the East, see them. I am sure it is the same case in the West as well.

Just today's news, there were these three little girls 12, 14 & 16 years sisters who each got a baby daughter were interviewed on the TV regarding the pill's for 10 yr. old here in the UK.
When asked about the reason why getting pregnant at that young age, their lovely mother was adamant that it the school to be blamed.…!
As an Egyptian raised (even though, I spent most of life in the West) I still wonder, what is happening to the western girls? Forgetting that my sister in law was not allowed to go out on her own till she was 19, also my best friend Kath who is a consultant was not allowed to pierce her ear as it was considered BAD. She was married only recently at 37 and never had a boy friend before then.(needless to say, she is an Irish catholic ).

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sadik12
Member # 7618

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sadik12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi newcomer!

I understand what you're saying, but it's so frustrating that women of any nationality have to resort to head games and manipulations in order to get what they want from men. What ever happened to just openly and honestly asking for what you want? It really does give us women a bad name.
Perhaps this is why I'm so focused on the importance of independence for women. Just because a woman can take care of herself doesn't mean she doesn't need or want a man...it just means she can take care of herselt if she needs to or wants to. Frankly, it's less pressure on the man if she can do this and then, maybe, she can spend less time criticising others and can be alot less insecure around other women.

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigli
Member # 7682

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for gigli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah its so right. why not just able to tell him how bad it makes you feel and in reality you despise his best friend? Because these s dont take the open honest approach. If they play these games, if you are open straightforward like me you end up coming out looking like a cow, and the sneaky one looks like a victim! wish life was more fair, but there it is. Maybe one in every 100 s in my country(normally with a bit of a bad childhood) end up doing these things. These s nomrally dont have many friends. I would have a serious talk with my sister or any friend if they did these things, and even maybe suggest a pshycologist. and of course I WOULD RATHER DIE than chase a man in this way
sadik12
Member # 7618

Rate Member
If you don't tell someone, man or woman, that something he or she does upsets you, then there's no reason in the world for them to stop. What happens is that with each incident, you get more and more annoyed and/or angry and then you explode. Then the other person says you're overreacting, since this is the first they have heard of it. Since they can't read your mind, and to avoid the inevitable explosion, best to just tell someone diplomatically.
As far as his best friend goes, chances are that you're not hanging out with him all that much plus it's his friend not yours. No harm in stating your opinion, and backing it up. Just don't make it stink. My husband is not all that crazy about some of my friends and he tells me so. He's entitled to his opinion (as am I) and they're my friends, not his.

gigli
Member # 7682

Member Rated:
Nobody has actually answered my question. Why do s get so up front in Cairo. I really like to know. To understand better so I dont feel so offended. there must be a reason for these things?
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nobody has actually answered my question. Why do s get so up front in Cairo. I really like to know. To understand better so I dont feel so offended. there must be a reason for these things?

When you feel so low and little the only solace you have is trying to make someone else feel even lower.

But honestly, why a great nation like Egyptians should have such problems with appreciating themselves.. I do not have clue what the reason(s) might be.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigli
Member # 7682

Member Rated:
Yeah i did tell him, but I also agree that its his friends not mine. But Im not so sure about the blatant provocative sms and photos they send him plus they make it pretty obvious they want him. In a not so nice way. Ive never come across this!!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com