EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Everybody check this topic! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Everybody check this topic!
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok finally i fixed my laptop and can get down to business.
in the other topic here we started talking about maybe try to do some extra work to help people in egypt. Specially those who are homeless, from children to elders to handicap to animals. and also divorced women with no homes.
I just need to know once again who is willing to reach their hands out to help.. and i will go further from there...This will be great ..have lots of ideas..and plz.. if you have any good ideas share them with us!

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiN_iNN
Member # 5754

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiN_iNN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:
Ok finally i fixed my laptop and can get down to business.
in the other topic here we started talking about maybe try to do some extra work to help people in egypt. Specially those who are homeless, from children to elders to handicap to animals. and also divorced women with no homes.
I just need to know once again who is willing to reach their hands out to help.. and i will go further from there...This will be great ..have lots of ideas..and plz.. if you have any good ideas share them with us!

Am ready to share

Posts: 140 | From: Cairo | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi i would really like to help too!
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salaam.
This is a big issue, always willing to try to help if I am able.
What did you have in mind?

Posts: 1706 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am with you too

Interested to hear your ideas.

Penny

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I am still here as well.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
' Sharon Stone '
Member # 5169

Icon 7 posted      Profile for ' Sharon Stone '     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ideas:

-Make a list of 20 women or kids. You got to pick a target group... all have different needs.
- Share a Meal ( bringing food, making large luncheon, dinner... everyone brings the food from their own country or something like that...)
- Asking questions - what they need instead of giving them what you think they should have.
- Visiting, having coffee, giving positive reinforcment, talking, asking them about their lives, giving affection, smiles, hugs, changing their perceptions about people by your own acts of kindness.
- Educational - ( teaching them how they can help themselves... motivating them, giving interesting books to read especially to children...)
-making a concert, cooking, reading poetry, playing with children, giving them your full attention at that event, creating something.. together, teaching them to write... taking them to lunch...etc)
- writing the letters ( you need translation ) and giving personalized letters with small gifts with it.
- collection of clothes, toys, books, anything in good condition that may be useful to some other person.
- gift cards and holiday gifts ( surprise )
- there are many ideas...

Put yourself in the position of orphan child, homeless person, divorced abandoned woman, abused, handicaped... What would you need? Basically every person who wants to help can use his/her own talent and bring it to the world. You share your talents and help, its free and it costs you nothing, but it means a lot to them.

I am an artist and living in the USA. I will follow this project and see what I can do on my part to make someone in Egypt happy for a minute, an hour, a day, a month...a year...

****I support all of you in this project. Making a difference in someone's life is a privilege. Thanks.

Posts: 989 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever thought of this?

Education......

Producing a workbook series with audio recordings that help teach Arabi and English literacy.

Naturally they would need a cassette player, but if the young and the old in the household can learn how to read and write in their spare time it would boost their earnings incredibly.

Literacy rate in Egypt is about 54%, speaking English means a job in tourism, which pays a great deal.

Just a thought.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seren, You knnow arabic, so this might help you :
http://www.amrkhaled.net/stand_pages/projects.php

Or you BETTER post the message board , and I'm sure many people there will be very helpful with many ideas and sources because this is something they are very involved in :
http://forum.amrkhaled.net/

Two Ideas which I been involved with and found them very fruitful and do last for long:

- Helping youth who are in the process of marriage
- Getting people standing on their feet and earning money by themselves through loans with no interests and they can payback very small amount of it each month. This way you get to see how your help changed their life instead of getting them used to ask for money or even give loans to people who are in need for money due temporary crises and believe me they will wish to pay back. When I worked in this, I met many people who don't ask for money out of high dignity but they needed it very much and when someone brought them, they insisted in paying back even little each month and they did.

I wish I was able to be part of what you'r going to do but in the mean time I really can't. Hopefully soon

Keep the good work uP

[This message has been edited by Troubles101 (edited 26 May 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Troubles101 (edited 26 May 2005).]

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its so good to see that so many people are interested to help! Thanks troubles and sharon stone for your ideas!

since we are so many now..we can start with "brainstorming" just like troubles and sharon stone did. what do you think you could do to help out?
Do you have things at home that you can give away? have you skills in teaching that maybe willing to use some hours once a week to teach children? etc.

For me i thought that in egypt I know that there are many children who work in the streets and handikap people. For the children I thought we can start step by step, trying ot find the children who sleeps in the street and talk to them, find out how they are surviving, and what they really need. and let them have a day where they can do something they have only dreamed of doing. with the handikap people I thought for example we could let them a free check up (that goes to all actually) and give them usefull things that will make their everyday life a bit better. f.ex. a better wheelchair, a better walking stock. medicines. about the animals I though that if this things go well, maybe the children start to help us by helping the animals. this will also keep them busy and feel that they mean something.

so people give more ideas, what you can do to share, if you dont live in egypt doesnt mean you cant do anything, everybody can do something, even just a simple thought is enough to help.

waiting for your replies.

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by ~Sharon Stone~:
Ideas:

-Make a list of 20 women or kids. You got to pick a target group... all have different needs.
- Share a Meal ( bringing food, making large luncheon, dinner... everyone brings the food from their own country or something like that...)
- Asking questions - what they need instead of giving them what you think they should have.
- Visiting, having coffee, giving positive reinforcment, talking, asking them about their lives, giving affection, smiles, hugs, changing their perceptions about people by your own acts of kindness.
- Educational - ( teaching them how they can help themselves... motivating them, giving interesting books to read especially to children...)
-making a concert, cooking, reading poetry, playing with children, giving them your full attention at that event, creating something.. together, teaching them to write... taking them to lunch...etc)
- writing the letters ( you need translation ) and giving personalized letters with small gifts with it.
- collection of clothes, toys, books, anything in good condition that may be useful to some other person.
- gift cards and holiday gifts ( surprise )
- there are many ideas...

Put yourself in the position of orphan child, homeless person, divorced abandoned woman, abused, handicaped... What would you need? Basically every person who wants to help can use his/her own talent and bring it to the world. You share your talents and help, its free and it costs you nothing, but it means a lot to them.

I am an artist and living in the USA. I will follow this project and see what I can do on my part to make someone in Egypt happy for a minute, an hour, a day, a month...a year...

****I support all of you in this project. Making a difference in someone's life is a privilege. Thanks.

your ideas are very good!
maybe if this works well we can do a type of "adoption" thing, where every person gets someone that they suppose to really take care of. This fits specially for those outside of egypt. since this will include stuff like to send letters to them, nutrtion and stuff like that. They become a part of your life. what do you guys think?

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles101:
Two Ideas which I been involved with and found them very fruitful and do last for long:

- Getting people standing on their feet and earning money by themselves through loans with no interests and they can payback very small amount of it each month. This way you get to see how your help changed their life instead of getting them used to ask for money or even give loans to people who are in need for money due temporary crises and believe me they will wish to pay back. When I worked in this, I met many people who don't ask for money out of high dignity but they needed it very much and when someone brought them, they insisted in paying back even little each month and they did.

[

T ..this is something I can very much relate to and feel if small loans were available, particularly to young people to get them started, it would make a big difference in Egypt. It happens in Morrocco from the Government so why not in Egypt? How did you get involved with this and on what basis. Do you think business men in Egypt be prepared to get behind such an initiative if it was properly run and administered.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Serendipity!
I would like to help so much anyway i can,i live in Egypt but the problem is that i dont speak arabic at all ..Hope its not such a big deal.I think ur ideas and Sharon Stone`s r really gr8.So here im,waiting for ur instructions

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies,

While in Cairo a few months ago, I read about these kids who leave schools for the inabilitiy to pay the school fees, and clothing which for most of us are only a few pounds/ dollars each term.

It would be a good idea to contact some newspapers editors ( I have that before ) and ask about these kids addresses.

From my part, I am ready to adapt a kid or two for schooling and clothing purposes.
Also, if you go to the local mosques and talk to the budget committees ( each mosque has one ) and ask for the list of those local needy.

Come on ladies, we can do it. Please do not forget the my best friends " Cats and dogs " .

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooralhaq
Member # 5823

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nooralhaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How easy is it to do these things?
Also, what is the homeless situation in Egypt exactly? Is it widespread? Does the government not have programs to help these people?

Posts: 1706 | From: Dallas, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nooralhaq:
[B]How easy is it to do these things?
Also, what is the homeless situation in Egypt exactly? Is it widespread? Does the government not have programs to help these people?

No, not really. Family net in Egypt is very tight and to be away from your family is very rare. But we do have poor people not starving though.
I think the thread started with the orphans issue not the homeless and the stray animals.

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penny:
[B] T ..this is something I can very much relate to and feel if small loans were available, particularly to young people to get them started, it would make a big difference in Egypt. It happens in Morrocco from the Government so why not in Egypt? How did you get involved with this and on what basis. Do you think business men in Egypt be prepared to get behind such an initiative if it was properly run and administered.
---------

The government does offer loans to those who starting their lives for some years now, but people do not know about this scheme.

AS for the businessmen, I know for a fact from their previous responses in the child cancer hospital appeal, that they would respond very positively.

What we really should do is plan strategically, which means decide on objective (a project) then step by step develop our plan. (these ideas you all have already thought of are very good, but realistically, some of them need corporate assistance, we cannot achieve on our own).

To complain (as ever) about an issue I noticed in Cairo while there, I phoned the assistant editor of the Ros Al Yusuf's magazine, and found the young staff in particular very keen to help and explore new issues.
I also phoned Dorria Sharaff Al Deen (one of the TV executives) and found her very understanding.
My advice is once we decide on the idea, we must make a few calls here and there (a lots of willing people around) to build up a network specially the Media staff and the business community.
Good luck Ladies.

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Viva, the language is not that important. theres a lot you can do without speaking arabic.

salama, i think your idea is excellent! I dont have so many contacts in egypt though ..but maybe you and 7aya does and the others..you know salama we can start with helping children go to school..and then the children in their spare time can help us with the animals...it will keep them busy too and away from the streets. what do you think?

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Serendipity:
[B]Viva, the language is not that important. theres a lot you can do without speaking arabic.

salama, i think your idea is excellent! I dont have so many contacts in egypt though ..but maybe you and 7aya does and the others..you know salama we can start with helping children go to school..and then the children in their spare time can help us with the animals...it will keep them busy too and away from the streets. what do you think?
---

A good start, but remember Seren, I live in London right now, I will be home in two months time.
Phoning these people are not difficult. Get their numbers from the phone book or phone the reception and ask for the head. Do not speak to any other person, and insist on that.
I did speak to Dorria Sharaff Al Deen twice.
Also, you can approach the Al Aspoa newspapers (the Bakr brothers) they did have a list of names of these kids and their stories.
They should be able to help.
I promise, once I am home, I will contact them regarding this matter.

Also, the Western ladies could be more effetive when calling and demanding to speak to these people.

I will send various emails from London, you all ladies should this as well.
Together we can make a difference.

As I said before, I will the first to adapt (financially) the first kid or two.

[This message has been edited by salama (edited 26 May 2005).]

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Salama I think your idea is excellent ..my problem is also that I live in Norway right now. And I am not that familiar with the local newspapers. But if you give me some phone numbers than I dont mind to call them. I would love to. I am also willing to adopt a kid to help out financially.

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Serendipity:
[B]Salama I think your idea is excellent ..my problem is also that I live in Norway right now. And I am not that familiar with the local newspapers. But if you give me some phone numbers than I dont mind to call them. I would love to. I am also willing to adopt a kid to help out financially.

Excellent, Seren. I am off now to work but I am off the week ahead. I should be able to provide with the information you required.
I do also hope that ladies who are currently in Egypt give us a hand.

Report back soon..!

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to help here in Egypt, this was a message I received recently and it seems like a good organization to contact:

Dear Brothers/ Sisters,
Do you want to gain Thawab and Sadaka Garia with no effort. so please help us in our charity projects. Help us to draw a smile on a face of a widow when she receive furniture for her small house, smile on a face of a small child when he receive a toy and clothes, and also smile on face of poor and orphan girl who is about to marry.

By that we helped you to get rid of them and to gain thawab at the same time with no effort, Just remember that instead of throwing them in the basket, All you have to do is save them for me!!

The 3 projects as follows :-

1- Collecting Papers and Plastic and glasses
You can gain the Thawab by collecting the Papers and Plastics with its all kinds and shapes and quality from your office and home.

We use them for the Recycle project and collect them in our stores and then sell them every month to the factories and the money we get we divide it equally to buy food for the orphanage houses we are responsible for, and the other half for buying stuff that orphans brides need for their marriage.

Papers like:- papers (in one piece or shredding or cut) + newspapers + magazines + Cartoon boxes (all kinds and shapes) + old books ……..etc.

Plastics like:- plastic bottles (all kinds and shapes) such as water, juices, vinegar, or milk …etc. + broken plastic (all kinds and shapes) such as plates, chairs, cups, children toys + telephones …….etc.

Glasses like: - jars + bottles (all kinds and shapes – broken or good)

2- ROBABIKIA
Collecting everything you don't need any more in your house or work - all kinds and shapes and quality whether it is new or old, works well or need to be fixed.

We take these things and fix and repair them to and give them for FREE to the poor families & orphanage houses we are responsible for and the good things goes to the orphan brides for their marriage.

Furniture such as: Bed + Mattress + tables + chairs + carpets + blankets + bed sheets + ….etc.

Kitchen Utensils such as :- glasses + plates + cooking pots + tea cups+ ….etc.

Electric devices such as :- old oven + Amboba + washing machine + refrigerator + blender + iron ….etc.

Clothes and shoes and bags :- all kinds and sizes and quality

Children toys and books :- we distribute them on poor children in poor places (in Cairo and country side) we visit every month + the good toys and books goes to orphanage houses we are responsible for in their libraries + and the new toys are distributed on children who have cancer in Kasr El Eini hospital .

3- Poor And Orphan Brides
We help poor and orphan bride in buying everything she needs for her marriage as much as we can.

You can share with us with either with money as we can buy things with a very special prices + or your things that you don’t need and don’t use in your house anymore, like clothes + kitchen utensils + furniture + wedding dress …..etc.

Please log in to our website and see SOME of our activities and charity cases that we handle , also the reports for 2004 for the committee in Cairo .

Also we have branches Mosaada-Alexandria + Mosaada-Asher Men Ramadan + Mosaada -Sharkia+ and soon Mosaada-Tanta and Mansora.

Jazakom Allah kheiran
If you want to particiapte please call me on 0127338803 and 0127338802
Rania Wahid

raniawahid2002@yahoo.com
www.mosaada.com

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by newcomer:
[B]If you want to help here in Egypt, this was a message I received recently and it seems like a good organization to contact:

Dear Brothers/ Sisters,
Do you want to gain Thawab and Sadaka Garia with no effort. so please help us in our charity projects

What a wonderful idea. I already contacted Rania Wahid, and I would get there once I am home soon.

Seren, this is a wonderful start, let's market such projects a little widely in the media.
Let's make a few calls and send emails to make people know about these places.
I took ages to know about one place in Shobra Street.
I also know now that there is another orphanage in Ahmed Helmy Street, over looking the station.

Thanks Newcomer.

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
By the way, the number of kids there are very managable ( 10- 25 ) which means that we could easily sponser a kid ot two.

These people do not accept money, but we can send toys , food,..

The site is in Arabic but still you can understand the non written material, it is supported with photoes of some the kids.

Gibraltar
Member # 7492

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibraltar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don’t know if men are welcome in this forum?!! If not please let me know and accept my apology. It seems that you are a group of very good and kind-hearted ladies, this encourages me to introduce my advises through daily facts.1-If you don’t study the Egyptian society, I am sorry to say, you are going to through your money, and more important, your activities in the ocean, and you will increase the problems not reducing them. 2- In my point of view, the most important field you can contribute is orphanage and through social institutions. (please don’t talk about adoption because it is forbidden and “kafa’ la” system is accepted).3- Try through NGOs and governmental institutions to give more care to the children of the streets, to gather them, educate them in 24 hours-school where they must be learnt one of the crafts.4-Don’t give fish to anyone but try to teach how to fish by him/herself. 5- Dogs and cats are not the only animals, there are more miserable animals in Egypt like donkeys, mules and horses, they suffer a lot and contribute in many Egyptian families’ incomes, so, we need through the media to give more care to the animals and to use religious words of mercy to convince very tough “arbagis” to behave in a better way. 6- Egyptian government failed to solve the problem of illiteracy , simply because they don’t like to solve it, they told them stop teaching adults, instead you must not allow a single child to be out of school, by this way after fifty years illiteracy will be zero, now after sixty years it is more than 50%. May God bless you all and good luck.
Posts: 141 | From: Egypt. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ibr, everybody is welcome here. To help out doesnt require anything but the will to help..

my father is a doctor here in oslo, And i just talked to him about our little project, and he loved it. He said also that maybe if we tried to talk to famous writers like Mustafa mahmoud or Anis mansour they will be willing to help too.

Guys dont think that there's little we can do, cause all of us I am sure are busy with their jobs and families. but it doesnt take much to help out. No matter if you live in egypt or not.

Salama I thought this organization is very good! I loved what they are doing to try to help others.

so let me hear from you guys..shall we make our goal to help out orphans get into school? Is that a good start?

troubles can you tell me more about that loan thing you talked about?

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ibr:
[B]I don’t know if men are welcome in this forum?!! If not please let me know and accept my apology.

As Seren said, everyone is very welcome to help.

What I meant by adaption was sponsoring the kids not adapting proper. I should have made it a little clearer.
There are plenty of schemes here in the west with adapting a child which meant that one would provide all the child needs for living.

What you said about the neglet of the government is NOT true ibr. They are very keen in educating the adult with Ma7wa Al Ommiya schemes that are in place for at least four decades, since president Nasser.

I thought the orphanage is a good start. They are already established and authenticated and monitored by the state.

As for the animals, yes I do agree with you about donkeys and horses. I have seen most horrible cases of these only recently.But the problem is when thinking of many projects at the same time, nothing will happen.

Let's start with one managable project, then we start another,..

Seren, what a wonderful idea if your dad contacted these people, they are highly respected and everybody will listen to them.

Let's abolish misery , and poverty from Egypt and make it what it deserve.

Thank you, Seren.You got a heart of Gold.

salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ibr:
[B]I don’t know if men are welcome in this forum?!! If not please let me know and accept my apology.
---------------
ibr,

As Serene said, everyone is very welcome to help. Together we can make it.

What I meant by adoption was sponsoring the kids not adapting proper. I should have made it a little clearer.
There are plenty of schemes here in the west with adapting a child which meant that one would provide all the child needs for living.

What you said about the neglect of the government is NOT true ibr. They are very keen in educating the adult with Ma7wa Al Ommiya schemes that are in place for at least four decades, since president Nasser.

I thought the orphanage is a good start. They are already established and authenticated and monitored by the state.

As for the animals, yes I do agree with you about donkeys and horses. I have seen most horrible cases of these only recently. But the problem is when thinking of many projects at the same time, nothing will happen.

Let's start with one manageable project, then we start another,

Serene, what a wonderful idea if your dad contacted these people, they are highly respected and everybody will listen to them.

Let's abolish misery, and poverty from Egypt and make it what it deserves.

Thank you, Seren.You got a heart of Gold.

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Unfortunatly I will not get the opprtunity to join on 3rd of june since I wont come before late in the month of june.
We have just moved from our old house. And I have a lot of toys that I would like to give to those children, And also i think I can get them the tv too, but the problem i dont know if it works in egypt. Maybe also I can get them Playstation 2. I have a lot of clothes that I would like to give away but these are clothes for girls who are in the late teenage. Cash right now I dont think I have.
I will ask my father about the medicines maybe he could help me out.
One more thing do those children get to go to school? About that little girl, many of the medicine you just told me about about is forbidden in norway. Isnt there any type of clothes that will pretct her skin? did she see a doctor?

And salama thank you for your sweet words, But I think all of you here has a heart of gold (eventhough sometimes you hide it behind the casual cat fights )

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
When I will come to egypt (inshallah) I will try to contact those authors and other people in egypt, and see if they are willing to help. Salama why dont you contact me through my email adress ghostorchid20@yahoo.com and then we can really discuss it so we know exaclty where to start and with what. And those who are interested in this, just email me. and I will feedback every detail and info about this.
sorsor
Member # 7639

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sorsor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am willing to help starting from july 205

Posts: 429 | From: jeddah ,saudi arabia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girls!My husband said there are 3-4 orphanage houses on the road frm 10 of ramadan to cairo.If ur interested plz visit them.i will for sure in the coming days.
they are called Yateem, and Aytam.i will say the address later,coz i dont know exactly, but its near aqua park.
Best

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sorsor:
[B]i am willing to help .
---------------

OK, Lazeeza, why do not you phone the orphenage and ask them about the milk that is available in Saudi but not in Egypt? then buy a few tins for them.
Phones are in their website.
www.mosaada.com

Shukran ya lazeeza ..!

' Sharon Stone '
Member # 5169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ' Sharon Stone '     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone working on this Charity Project, or this is just warming up but no action will ever happen soon? This Charity project was an excellent idea and it should go forward.

You folks are very smart and compassionate people who can make a difference. Don't be afraid of the complexity of Charity work. Even just visiting for now, is a good start. You don't have to overwhelm yourself with more than you are able to afford or give. Even if you just visit in the group and talk to orphans and get to know them better, bring some small things it's a good start. You can also get to know the people who work in orphanage, or maybe visit Children hospital with some letters and cards. Someone should be able to get that TV, that would be a nice gift. How much is TV in Egypt? You can try collecting or saving small amounts of money and all together you can make a difference. Not everything all at once, but a little by a little.

I also don't think that 1 person can do it all alone. It's a lot of work and it needs an organization. So you are probably not ready for 100% professional Charity but you can start with small steps, how much you can, and than expend more with no expecatations. Everyone should willingly and freely want to do it, and if they can not that's fine, one day when they see all of you doing it together, you will have more people interested eventually.

Posts: 989 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julia 13
Member # 7671

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julia 13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really looks to me that none of you is realistic.
I can just reply what ibr said:
"1-If you don’t study the Egyptian society, I am sorry to say, you are going to through your money, and more important, your activities in the ocean, and you will increase the problems not reducing them.
2- In my point of view, the most important field you can contribute is orphanage and through social institutions. (please don’t talk about adoption because it is forbidden and “kafa’ la” system is accepted).
3- Try through NGOs and governmental institutions to give more care to the children of the streets, to gather them, educate them in 24 hours-school where they must be learnt one of the crafts.
4-Don’t give fish to anyone but try to teach how to fish by him/herself.
5- Dogs and cats are not the only animals, there are more miserable animals in Egypt like donkeys, mules and horses, they suffer a lot and contribute in many Egyptian families’ incomes, so, we need through the media to give more care to the animals and to use religious words of mercy to convince very tough “arbagis” to behave in a better way.
6- Egyptian government failed to solve the problem of illiteracy , simply because they don’t like to solve it"

Why you guys are not looking for an existing infrastructure (NGOs, active spouces in charity etc.). Therefore you can concentrate on helping actively and not wasting your energy in organising etc.

And by the way, don't you think children should learn how to play with toys, and instead of watching tv? How do you want to get stuff into the country without paying taxes, or do you want to purchase everything locally. If so, how do you want to get the money into the country + insure that it will be used correctly?

Well, pls don't missunderstand me, I think charity work is necessary, but very difficult without an existing infrastructure and very ambitious people.

Anyway, good luck.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Dear Julia 13:

In replying to your points one by one,

Point 1: we do not have to be realistic when offering some help to the needy. any drop of the ocean is a little help in itself.
I must add, perhaps some of those kind ladies who their invaluable help are not Egyptians, but some are. So we do really understand our people's needs.

Point 2
I think Newcomer has explained about adoption before. We meant fostering financial adoption not parenting adoption, which is not forbidden.
I already have three kids who are mine, I never seen two of them face to face.

3- I agree with you the NGO's and other state own organisations do help, but also individual help is still required and has its own fruits. when you see your own contribution gone into good before your eyes.

Point 4-We aimed not to distribute our fish..!But it would be a good start to do your bit overcoming essential need then look further.
Remember that all kids at any refuge dose go to school. by law.

Point 5, I agree with your point, but we talked about that before. Do you know any in the media who is able to do that.
While in Egypt, I talked to the local Imam about animals abuse having witnessed the two starving dogs at my neighbour's home been left at home for three months without food other than what people throw to them occasionally over the villa's fence.

6-I do not agree with you on this point, the illiteracy here in the UK is 42% (11-16 age group) in Egypt it is 39%. Bearing in mind the lack of resources and the funds, wee are doing very well considering.
The Ma7w Al Ommia project is going on since Nasser.
If some people are NOT interested to educate, then it is NOT the government's fault.

The infrastructure is a corporate task (the government) not individual.
As for playing with toys, then you do not seem to be familiar with Egyptian kids and other kids from poor countries who are highly resourceful, making their own toys to play with.
There is NO need for robots and remote toys for now.…!

Charity is a part of any religion particularly Islam through Zakah, Sadaka and others. and should not be a difficult.
The question now, how many of us finished talking and starting action? I wonder?

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
I am so sorry for not giving any feedback for a long time since I am the one who actually started it. But as I told Salama wich I forgot to mention you guys is that right now I have exams, and after 8th of june wich is today I will start working in it for real. So relax people it will be something i hope. And I am glad to see that there are people here who are willing to help for real.
I will travel soon to egypt waiting just for a ticket, and will try to visit the orphanage homes there and gather some info for all of us. And I will from there try to notify you guys about the info i got from them. we could start with helping orphan homes with maybe some schoolbooks or a gather money to have some more space so new orphans can have a safe place, but as I said from here in Norway its very diff to do all this without being actually there and see it. (Salama I will visit Menna Inshallah when I am there.)
But I still want to have some ideas and info from you guys of how we can do this in a better way and more organized.

waiting for your reply,
From Sara

Julia 13
Member # 7671

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julia 13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salama,

to make something clear: I am NOT against helping people. Myself, I live abroad since over 7 years; 5 of it in black-african countries, the last 2 in Egypt. And I always do my little part of charity, e.g. financing a girls school fee, helping a privat person to open his own little shop etc.

What I want to say, here in Egypt there are quite a lot those little private activities going on - visiting refugees in the prison (they mostly don't know why they are there); helping kids without parents; helping young women to learn how to make paper out of old newspapers etc.

Some friends of mine are very active, one for example (a man) goes regular to one of the orphanage homes. What I want to say, why not reinforcing / helping somebody (or a group) who tries already to help. Only if many small drops of water fall in one place, charity helps - otherwize it will evaporate fast.

Concerning the toys: I meant balls, dolls, etc. definetly NOT robots!!! And, as I said, I am in Egypt quite a while, but I see rarely kids playing - even not in the so called "informal areas" where I work. Most of the kids have never learnt how to play. It's sad but true. And a lot of kids do not have space and time to play...

Serendipity, you are talking about schoolbooks, in egyptian-arabic I guess. Books only help when you know how to read. My experience is that paper + pens are missing first.

Salama, I like your last question - that's exacly what I want to ask. Talking is easy, doing something something else, but starting from scratch is very difficult. Therefore again my question, why not joining existing charities / privat helpers?

I know that for example some teachers from the american college, women in Maadi etc. are already doing something in their freetime.

Anyway, I wish you all the best, good success and staying power.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Ok i am back again, So here I am trying to collect some clothes from my friends and familys to the orphans, I have also some clothes to grown ups.

you are totally right, we need to focus on one organization, so I though i should visit this mosaada organization since it works with alot of fields, not only orphans, but basically in all parts, I will visit that place when i am there in egypt, will be soon (i hope!) and will give more info, and maybe those who are coming to visit to egypt soon can also bring with them stuff to those orphanhomes. after that I am there in egypt I will give you all kinds of info, of what they are working on and what they will start working with, what they need and etc.

will report from egypt next time

sara

zeina20
Member # 569

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zeina20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear All,
Thanks a lot for your kind thoughts ,and offers, I'm really happy with your suggestions. But I don't like the idea of bringing toys and games to the poor kids, come on! do u think you can keep them happy, secure ,and safe by giving them clothes and toy and , good bye , yeah, they will be happy for a while ,but when you'll go, who will supply them with toys and clothes , I used to do this, but after a while I felt silly . you know why?? coz I don't have the time and the money to do it all the time , but if we have the place in which they can play, paint , study, and learn hand made craft which we have hundred of it here ; and unfortunately will disappear soon , we can get some one to teach them the craft and our job will be selling and marketing all their production all over the world , believe me those kids will be happy and secure for ever coz they earn their own money and still go to school and in their day off we can take them in trips , you know in ancient Egypt they used to say" if your child asks you for a toy give him a hammer" . Really now I know how they were really smart people.
Also widow and needy women can take part in this project , on the other hand the extra money that we'll collect, will guarantee our survival. I did something like this when I was volunteering in south Africa , and here in Nabq ( Bedouin village in Sharm El Sheikh ) and I'm willing to do it again .
Also I'm thinking of seniors' club where they can gather, chat, write their live story , celebrating their birthdays' .and we will be there smiling , loving and,listen to them , I would love to do this , and many people who lost their parents like me would love to. Any way I have really many ideas and I'm ready to be in. Just email me
phototalkegypt@yahoo.com
Zeina

Posts: 47 | From: tour guide | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:
I am so sorry for not giving any feedback for a long time since I am the one who actually started it. But as I told Salama wich I forgot to mention you guys is that right now I have exams, and after 8th of june wich is today I will start working in it for real. So relax people it will be something i hope. And I am glad to see that there are people here who are willing to help for real.
I will travel soon to egypt waiting just for a ticket, and will try to visit the orphanage homes there and gather some info for all of us. And I will from there try to notify you guys about the info i got from them. we could start with helping orphan homes with maybe some schoolbooks or a gather money to have some more space so new orphans can have a safe place, but as I said from here in Norway its very diff to do all this without being actually there and see it. (Salama I will visit Menna Inshallah when I am there.)
But I still want to have some ideas and info from you guys of how we can do this in a better way and more organized.

waiting for your reply,
From Sara

sara may i please join you on these visits? my email is yasminefathy@hotmail.com, if you don't mind we can arrange going together.

best

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 7aya:
[B]
sara may i please join you on these visits? my email is yasminefathy@hotmail.com, if you don't mind we can arrange going together.

Best of luck girls, remember to provide us with feed back.

Gibraltar
Member # 7492

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibraltar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Julia 13:
It really looks to me that none of you is realistic.
I can just reply what ibr said:
"1-If you don’t study the Egyptian society, I am sorry to say, you are going to through your money, and more important, your activities in the ocean, and you will increase the problems not reducing them.
2- In my point of view, the most important field you can contribute is orphanage and through social institutions. (please don’t talk about adoption because it is forbidden and “kafa’ la” system is accepted).
3- Try through NGOs and governmental institutions to give more care to the children of the streets, to gather them, educate them in 24 hours-school where they must be learnt one of the crafts.
4-Don’t give fish to anyone but try to teach how to fish by him/herself.
5- Dogs and cats are not the only animals, there are more miserable animals in Egypt like donkeys, mules and horses, they suffer a lot and contribute in many Egyptian families’ incomes, so, we need through the media to give more care to the animals and to use religious words of mercy to convince very tough “arbagis” to behave in a better way.
6- Egyptian government failed to solve the problem of illiteracy , simply because they don’t like to solve it"

Why you guys are not looking for an existing infrastructure (NGOs, active spouces in charity etc.). Therefore you can concentrate on helping actively and not wasting your energy in organising etc.

And by the way, don't you think children should learn how to play with toys, and instead of watching tv? How do you want to get stuff into the country without paying taxes, or do you want to purchase everything locally. If so, how do you want to get the money into the country + insure that it will be used correctly?

Well, pls don't missunderstand me, I think charity work is necessary, but very difficult without an existing infrastructure and very ambitious people.

Anyway, good luck.

Thank you Julia 13 for advocating my opinion. To Salama, I have to say that the policy of the revolution and the Gov. towards illiteracy was a big failure. Imagine if they would left the illiteral adults during the 1950s to their desire, if they want to be educated or not, and be keen not have any child out of school, in this case life circle will clean the society. They know the truth, but they want posts, budgets etc. and the problem continues. Good luck.

Posts: 141 | From: Egypt. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:

Burhom, I did not understand what you meant, bro.
Ma7wa Al Om-miya is a successful scheme,although it is going annoyingly slow.
The biggest problem Egypt has faced was the urbanisation ( the migration of farmers and other villagers into the city ) with no future proper plans in sight.

Do you remember the Fadadeen Khamsa that were distributed free on the landless farmers with view to cultivate these plots and stay where they are?
Well, almost every single farmer sold the land either to build an ugly house on it or to come to the City lights, then beg at the mosques gates.

We, Egyptians do not seem to plan for future, we just do it and God will provide..!

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
7aya i would love too.
right now i dont have the poss to enter the net that much. but will email you when i get the chance.

SunandShine
Member # 7972

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunandShine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julia, would have thought you would have had more words of encouragement than being so discouraging.

I think it's great what everyone is trying to do and I hope you all succeed!!!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's great, too. Thanx Serend for the topic
Newcomer, what you posted about that Mosaada project is just great. I just phoned Rania Wahid, but there was no answer. Do they have an address? I really want to go, but there seems to be no address on their website.

Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi EFLVirgo!

I contacted her by email and got a reply on the second time. Apparently they have an office in Medinet Nasr, off Sharia Tayran, but it's not staffed full time, so you would need to contact Rania to arrange to meet her there.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suzanna
Member # 6258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suzanna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings to all and so pleased to see this thread -- am very anxious to do whatever I can -- I have been very active in a number of nonprofits in the states and now want to put that energy here in Egypt -- I have bags of clothing that I have gathered and am looking to donate it -- I, too, Sara, would like to go along to visit these orphanages and offer my enery to any projects that may already be in the works --

Much of my work is on the computer so am willing to do whatever research necessary -- live here in Egypt (Al Quseir) Keep me posted== can be reached at Suzanna@Sobhi.net
and my mobile number is 010 3824167

Posts: 54 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Suzanna:
Greetings to all and so pleased to see this thread -- am very anxious to do whatever I can -- I have been very active in a number of nonprofits in the states and now want to put that energy here in Egypt -- I have bags of clothing that I have gathered and am looking to donate it -- I, too, Sara, would like to go along to visit these orphanages and offer my enery to any projects that may already be in the works --

Much of my work is on the computer so am willing to do whatever research necessary -- live here in Egypt (Al Quseir) Keep me posted== can be reached at Suzanna@Sobhi.net
and my mobile number is 010 3824167

so nice of you Suzanna, but unfortunatly my visit there will be delayed for the timebeing But when i am there then sure we can go together. The more the merrier.
i will email you when i know for sure when i will come.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com