EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » coping with fear (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: coping with fear
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi everyone. im engaged actually we've had a (katb el ketab) to an egyptian australian. anyway my fiance/husband lives in australia and i'm scared to death that it will be attacked by terrorists. australia had a threat last year, but my fiance always told me that they inshallah wouldn't attack because australia has distance on its side. now however after the london and egypt attacks he has changed his mind. especially since unfortunatly the terrorists who did the london attacks were born and bred there. which means that it could happen in australia too. the problem is i'm a big worrier. i'm the kind of person who panics alot, and now im living in a nightmare. im having a problem sleeping, having nightmares, i'm vomiting all from fear. im scared everytime i open the news channel, fearing that i will find "breaking news" (salmen kawlen men rabn ra7eem) of an attack on australia
i admit i am a worrier but i don't think im the only one. there have been so many attacks that nothing is impossible anymore. so many people are worried about their friends and family who reside in different countries. so how are we expected to cope? my fiance tells me that its out of our hands and what god wants will be. ofcourse i know that but i can't help my thoughts!

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tawwakul al Allah.
It's everywhere now. We just have to get on with our lives the best we can.

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaniaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this feeling so well too, 7aya. I'm worried all the time, in general, but now with these attacks, I'm really worrying more. My fiance is always travelling, like now, he's in the US, then, he will have to go to London, then back to Egypt for a while. But what can we do, I don't know. When I'm in Egypt, I'm always worrying for my family, I'm praying God to keep them safe. And they are worried about me, in Egypt.
When are you going to join your husband? Are you calling eachother everyday? I know that it really helps me to call my fiance several times a day. At the beginning, he didn't understand my fear, but now, he know he has to accept these little calling rules I set up. For the rest, we really can't do anything. But this also reminds us to enjoy every minute with our friends and relatives, to act as if we were going to die the next day.
Wish you the best 7aya.

Posts: 213 | From: Paris/ Le Caire | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7aya:
hi everyone. im engaged actually we've had a (katb el ketab) to an egyptian australian. anyway my fiance/husband lives in australia and i'm scared to death that it will be attacked by terrorists. australia had a threat last year, but my fiance always told me that they inshallah wouldn't attack because australia has distance on its side. now however after the london and egypt attacks he has changed his mind. especially since unfortunatly the terrorists who did the london attacks were born and bred there. which means that it could happen in australia too. the problem is i'm a big worrier. i'm the kind of person who panics alot, and now im living in a nightmare. im having a problem sleeping, having nightmares, i'm vomiting all from fear. im scared everytime i open the news channel, fearing that i will find "breaking news" (salmen kawlen men rabn ra7eem) of an attack on australia
i admit i am a worrier but i don't think im the only one. there have been so many attacks that nothing is impossible anymore. so many people are worried about their friends and family who reside in different countries. so how are we expected to cope? my fiance tells me that its out of our hands and what god wants will be. ofcourse i know that but i can't help my thoughts!

I know it's horrible when someone you love is very far away. It feels as if we have no control over the situation, or his/her safety. Terrorism could occur anywhere, but if you can take comfort in the number of people who are actually affected by terrorism (outside of Iraq of course or other war zones), they are very, very few compared to the entire population.

Washington, DC, where I live, was the site of one of the 9/11 plane crashes, and we flip out here every once in a while with subway threats and everything. Farhana is right, we need to just get on with our lives.

I don't know about Australia, but I am, here in DC, much much more likely to get mugged or shot or robbed than I am likely to be the victim of a terrorist attack.

I am sure your fiance is an intelligent man and will keep aware of his surroundings. I think that is all anyone can do. I will keep both of you in my prayers. God willing, of course you two will be reunited soon.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi everyone thanks for your replies. raniame, calling from australia is very expensive and he can't afford to call me more than once a week or even less. also there is the difference in the hours. in the winter its 9 hours, in the summer 7 so when he's working i'm sleeping and vice verse. so its difficult to talk. although we sms all day. snoozin, this is what my fiance told me too, that we are all under threat. and that there is more of a chance to (god forbid) have a normal accident. but when you are a worrier like me its just sooooo difficult to control those fears
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey 7aya, I don't see any reason for you to worry. Why do you think there'd be attacks in Australia of all places? I mean it could happen anywhere in the world. I think the chances of it happening in Australia are super low, and considering how big Australia itself is, what would the chances of it happening to your fiance be?

Relax my friend 'lan yosseebana ella ma katab Allaho lana'

Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
didi_elsayed
Member # 4763

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for didi_elsayed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7aya,dont worry girl,by your logic,we all have to lay with the though,tomorrow we will be attacked!
If this will make u be more calm,it can be Bulgaria,too,the difference is that we need 1 bomb,and we wont be on the map anymore, hahha
Dont worry sweetheart,noone is not in safety from these people,but we cant live in panic,please try to think for something nice,and just keep close contact to ur fiance,ull see that everything will be ok !
Hugs!
Didi

Posts: 1134 | From: NoNe oF uR BuSiNeS | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7aya, what a double standard you are having. In the topic about the suicide bombers on the religion forum here on ES you admitting you would possibly blow up yourself if its against Israelis.

On the other hand you are scared of terrorist attacks? Makes me wonder ......

And do you seriously believe that you are safer f. e. in Egypt than you would be in Australia??????

[This message has been edited by Tigerlily (edited 30 July 2005).]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mai
Member # 6172

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heeeeey 7aya "wala tadri nafs maza takseb 3'adan,wala tadri b2ay 2ard tamoot"
=no spirit knows what it will get for tommorro ..and in which land it will die"

it's only god who knows!!! so think about the good part of the issue ..u are going to marry the person u want inshaallah...and leave ur heart , mind and destiny for god...
Inshaallah u and him become grand pa and mum for 2..3 generations
Enjoy ur life girl we live once

GOD WITH U AND HIM

Posts: 336 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
tiger i dont live in a double standard maybe you should go back to that thread and youll see that i said that i'm against suicide bombing with the exception of israel because they moved in knowing that they will steal people's land and the palestinians are desperate. but hey thanks for the support!
debbie, i don't need a therapist, and i'm not suffocating him, he knows i'm a worrier and he's very nice about it infact. thats why i fell in love with him, because he's understanding
for the rest of the girls, thanks so much for your words. i know im paranoid i admit it. but i think those bobmings are becoming way out of hand and difficult to control. thanks!

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, 7aya, you would blow up yourself for a "good cause" (whatever it is) but you are scared if others would do so? So you have the right but others don't?
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaniaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Debbie, calling my BF and being called by him several times everyday is something wrong?? Maybe you don't need that, I do, and I don't think I need a therapist!! Or the therapists would make much more money they are making now, because they would have more clients
Posts: 213 | From: Paris/ Le Caire | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 7aya:
[B]tiger i dont live in a double standard maybe you should go back to that thread and youll see that i said that i'm against suicide bombing with the exception of israel because they moved in knowing that they will steal people's land and the palestinians are desperate.

So how do you actually draw that line i.e. in your view what makes the cause of terrorist acts in Israel different from the ones in Iraq, Algeria etc?

I hope you can get a grip on your fear factor. In your profile it says you are a journalist, that is not a profession without some level of risk involved.

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RaniaMe:
[B]Hey Debbie, calling my BF and being called by him several times everyday is something wrong??

I am a frequent business traveller & in recent years I have spent quite a bit of time in places like Pakistan, Algeria, Nigeria etc. I'd go hopping mad if my family members would start to call me several times a day to check if I am still doing fine, how can one function like that?
Debbie is absolutely right, you need to get a life!

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Hm, 7aya, you would blow up yourself for a "good cause" (whatever it is) but you are scared if others would do so? So you have the right but others don't?

i don't consider killing innocent civilians in london or egypt or even iraq is a good cause. but israeli went to palestine knowing they are stealing land. would you be surprised if you steal someones home and they come and kill you a few years after.
i remember once a lady started a thread asking people what there biggest fear is and you said you are worried that something would happen to your daughter while she's going to school. well what about all the palstinian children who die everyday while going to school, or playing or doing any other activity a child does. so its ok for a german mother to worry about her child but a palestinian mother not? hmm who has the double standards? your government created the holocaust you killed millions of jews but are you paying for it now? no you live in a nice house with greenery and cleanliness all around you, your kids play safely in the park, while palestinians are dying every day. oh and not just that do you know that germany gives millions of dollars as well as miliatary aid to israel, can you tell me how long do palestinians have to die for your atrocities and for your feelings of guilt?
ann, yes i am a journalist, and you know what? i'm not worried about my life. infact i dont care if i die, because if i do i wont feeling anything. but if someone i love dies then i will suffer

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RaniaMe:
[B]Hey Debbie, calling my BF and being called by him several times everyday is something wrong??

I am a frequent business traveller & in recent years I have spent quite a bit of time in places like Pakistan, Algeria, Nigeria etc. I'd go hopping mad if my family members would start to call me several times a day to check if I am still doing fine, how can one function like that?
Debbie is absolutely right, you need to get a life!

dont be harsh ann people are different. maybe you don't need to stay in contact with your family, but others do. as i said people are different

Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, next time it will be Italy or Denmark they said !
Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
quote:
dont be harsh ann people are different. maybe you don't need to stay in contact with your family, but others do. as i said people are different

I am not being harsh. I do stay in touch with my family & friends when I am away but not several times a day. Put yourself in the shoes of the person who is actually travelling, I don't think receiving several calls a day to check up on you would put your mind at rest, quite to contrary.

RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Hey Ann, you're indeed harsh! It's our way of functionning, my fiance and me! Not yours, and that's it! So please, you get a life!
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i don't consider killing innocent civilians in london or egypt or even iraq is a good cause. but israeli went to palestine knowing they are stealing land. would you be surprised if you steal someones home and they come and kill you a few years after.
i remember once a lady started a thread asking people what there biggest fear is and you said you are worried that something would happen to your daughter while she's going to school. well what about all the palstinian children who die everyday while going to school, or playing or doing any other activity a child does. so its ok for a german mother to worry about her child but a palestinian mother not? hmm who has the double standards? your government created the holocaust you killed millions of jews but are you paying for it now? no you live in a nice house with greenery and cleanliness all around you, your kids play safely in the park, while palestinians are dying every day. oh and not just that do you know that germany gives millions of dollars as well as miliatary aid to israel, can you tell me how long do palestinians have to die for your atrocities and for your feelings of guilt?
ann, yes i am a journalist, and you know what? i'm not worried about my life. infact i dont care if i die, because if i do i wont feeling anything. but if someone i love dies then i will suffer

You are twisting the words around like you need it and you are bad in need of a logical statement for everyone here what you couldn't produce. And when your thinking stops than you simply just attack.

At no time I mentioned I felt superior to anyone in this world and I feel sad for any innocent life being taken away from this earth.

But in the same time I don't jump around and say I'd be probably the first one becoming a suicide bomber of my country if its aimed at Israelian people. From my point of view these people are also human beings no matter what you think.

Usually people learning out of their mistakes....... and you have much catching up to do.

You don't have to be mad because I confronted your statement.

By the way the best journalist is neutral, tolerant and open-minded. You have a long way to go.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:

Being concerned for someone's safety is one thing, insisting to call several times a day or loosing sleep over their safety is neurotic.

What about all the spouses of the military members who are in combat in Iraq right now or are heading off in the nearest future? Many of them will go for a second time on a year tour!

My husband was lucky so far and we are happy that our family is still complete. I am not sure how I will react if he's called on duty....

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:

You are twisting the words around like you need it and you are bad in need of a logical statement for everyone here what you couldn't produce. And when your thinking stops than you simply just attack.

At no time I mentioned I felt superior to anyone in this world and I feel sad for any innocent life being taken away from this earth.

But in the same time I don't jump around and say I'd be probably the first one becoming a suicide bomber of my country if its aimed at Israelian people. From my point of view these people are also human beings no matter what you think.

Usually people learning out of their mistakes....... and you have much catching up to do.

You don't have to be mad because I confronted your statement.

By the way the best journalist is neutral, tolerant and open-minded. You have a long way to go.

i'm not twisting your words, you live a peacful life, and your children are safe. you and all of us need to show some compassion to these people who are suffering every day. what israel is doing is beyond an invasion, its a wiping out of an entire race. and thats why i said i feel that there its justified i can totally understand why you don't see this? for why would you, you are so far away from it all it doesnt matter.
secondly i dont think i wasn't neutral just because i disagreed with you doesn't mean i wasn't neutral. we both had our opinion. as for my job, well this is not the newspaper. when i'm writing an article i have to be neutral. but this is not a newspaper this is a public forum and im free to express myself as much as i want. and by the way you have a long way to go as a human being if you think its ok to wipe out an entire race. and by the way thats not twisting your words. if after all those massacres and atrocities you don't understand why the palestinaians are doing this then believe me you do have a long way to go.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:

if after all those massacres and atrocities you don't understand why the palestinaians are doing this then believe me you do have a long way to go.

If you fully understand and support their sickness then God can't help you either. I also assume that your personal opinions reflecting your articles even if you don't admit it.

Its not right to kill humans beings in any way regarding their nationality, their religion etc.

Thats my point here. And for the last time, I didn't announce that I would become a suicide bomber under certain circumstances - you did. How poor!

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
If you fully understand and support their sickness then God can't help you either. I also assume that your personal opinions reflecting your articles even if you don't admit it.

Its not right to kill humans beings in any way regarding their nationality, their religion etc.

Thats my point here. And for the last time, I didn't announce that I would become a suicide bomber under certain circumstances - you did. How poor!

i didn't say you announced you'd be a suicide bomber! and as for the rest of that stuff its easy for you to say. yeah tiger paln the future of your kids, maybe theyll be doctors, engineers oh i'm sure theyll make you proud. but a palestinian mother won't be able to do that, because even if the atrocities they will witness won't turn them into suicide bombers, the israeli soldiers will be sure to shoot them. but you sit comfortably in your home cause its so far away from you and it doesnt matter right?
and by the way i'm a reporter not a writer do you even know the difference??

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
And 7aya, by the way, I didn't kill an entire race. I was born in 1974, good 30 years after the WWII stopped.

And this were SICK people too who are responsible in killing over six million Jews, destroying families, the people who were able to survived lost everything.

nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i didn't say you announced you'd be a suicide bomber!

No, 7aya dear, YOU said you'd be a suicide bomber if required for your homeland. I remember it, too.

And I do not understand how can a person be a reporter who does not know that Hurghada is not in Sinai... or maybe you can if you act just as a loudspeaker and do not twist your wires or try interpret anything you hear before you speak it out?

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
i didn't say you announced you'd be a suicide bomber! and as for the rest of that stuff its easy for you to say. yeah tiger paln the future of your kids, maybe theyll be doctors, engineers oh i'm sure theyll make you proud. but a palestinian mother won't be able to do that, because even if the atrocities they will witness won't turn them into suicide bombers, the israeli soldiers will be sure to shoot them. but you sit comfortably in your home cause its so far away from you and it doesnt matter right?

Getting confused about your own job desription right now? Honey, I was working for the German TV in Cairo so I know what kind of duties these people have.

You are obviously unemployed based on your character.

And you don't have to try to cope with fear, you are a warrior (not a worrier) yourself. But if you are afraid then stay away from people like yourself.

So and now I will take my wonderful kids out to a nice and clean playground, we will eat some icecream and just will have a great time together. See you later!

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
debbie, i don't need a therapist, and i'm not suffocating him, he knows i'm a worrier and he's very nice about it infact. thats why i fell in love with him, because he's understanding
for the rest of the girls, thanks so much for your words. i know im paranoid i admit it. but i think those bobmings are becoming way out of hand and difficult to control. thanks!

7aya, as I'm sure you know, each couple has its own methods of showing respect and affection and I think it's great if you and your fiance are in agreement with keeping in contact and that sort of thing. I don't think you need therapy at all, and some very normal people are still big worriers. :-)

When my fiance did his first trip back to Egypt after we met and I couldn't go, that bombing occurred next to Khan al Khalili. I was *very* worried about my fiance because of course I didn't know anything about the layout of Cairo, I just knew the man I loved was in the city where a bombing occurred. I called him immediately just to hear his voice to make sure he was OK. He laughed at me, but was happy I cared. :-)

We should all be so fortunate to have someone in our lives who loves us enough to care if we are hurt or not. I am happy you and your fiance have that. :-)

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Put yourself in the shoes of the person who is actually travelling, I don't think receiving several calls a day to check up on you would put your mind at rest, quite to contrary.

Having had many years where there was no one to call to see if I was OK or not, I think it is a precious thing that you have people who care to call..... I would put up with the hassle. The benefits of having love outweigh the annoyances.

Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Having had many years where there was no one to call to see if I was OK or not, I think it is a precious thing that you have people who care to call..... I would put up with the hassle. The benefits of having love outweigh the annoyances.

Several times a day & having 'calling rules', that's what I call obsessive behavior.

RaniaMe
Member # 7590

Rate Member
Ann, everyone is different, would like you to understand that, and stop calling obsessive whatever doesn't fit you. And also remember English isn't at all my native language, and I hesitated before I used the term "rule", knowing someone would make a comment on it...

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:

Getting confused about your own job desription right now? Honey, I was working for the German TV in Cairo so I know what kind of duties these people have.

You are obviously unemployed based on your character.

And you don't have to try to cope with fear, you are a warrior (not a worrier) yourself. But if you are afraid then stay away from people like yourself.

So and now I will take my wonderful kids out to a nice and clean playground, we will eat some icecream and just will have a great time together. See you later!

can i ask you a question, what does my job have anything to do with this? we're arguing about suicide bombing and all of a sudden you tell me i'm a lousy journalist and know you're telling me i'm unemployed? whats your problem, what do you care what i do in my personal life, and what my job exactly is? why don't you stick to the argument and leave all personal matters out? further, as i said i'm a reporter. writers are people who write editorials or opinion pieces or articles about ie iraq, increasing water prices, pollution whatever, they write their opinion about the matter. whereas a person like me i don't write my opinion my job is to take any of these topics or any other and go interview people and write what THEY say. and even if i was the kind of person who would write my opinion, i don't think my editor would let me, because i don't own the bloody publication.
moreover, i didn't say being neutral wasn't part of respctful journalism but here i'm not a journalist i'm a forum user with a write to express my opinion. if you disagree with them thats your right, but its NOT your write to insult me personally or my career.
i opened this thread because i'm stressed and i wanted coping methods for people like me. the post about suicide bombing i did not mean it the way you understood it. and even if i did mean it that way, you could at least tell me in another time, not when i'm so obviously stressed and worried.
now if you want to think i'm a terrorist fine, if you think i'm a lousy journalist or even an unemployed one fine too! i have nothing to prove to you. i am what i always wanted to be elhamdullelah. i have a long way to go yes, but thats because i've been working only in this career for two years which is nothing i have years and years to go before i reach the levels of my idols. not because i suck as you say i do. and believe me i will make it because i am a hardworker and passionate about what i do. at the moment all i want is for you to leave me alone.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
7aya, as I'm sure you know, each couple has its own methods of showing respect and affection and I think it's great if you and your fiance are in agreement with keeping in contact and that sort of thing. I don't think you need therapy at all, and some very normal people are still big worriers. :-)

When my fiance did his first trip back to Egypt after we met and I couldn't go, that bombing occurred next to Khan al Khalili. I was *very* worried about my fiance because of course I didn't know anything about the layout of Cairo, I just knew the man I loved was in the city where a bombing occurred. I called him immediately just to hear his voice to make sure he was OK. He laughed at me, but was happy I cared. :-)

We should all be so fortunate to have someone in our lives who loves us enough to care if we are hurt or not. I am happy you and your fiance have that. :-)

youre right snoozin. the problem also is the distance. i think isa when we both live in the same city i wouldn't worry so much. i think it also has a lot to do with my wedding date insahllah nearing. marriage is stressful and scary even if you are in love, and ofcourse now with those attacks my nerves are just raw. i was thinking about stopping work so i can inshallah spend my last few months in egypt with my family in alexandria, but i think then i would start thinking more often, which would mean more worrying but thanks for your kind words and im glad you found a special someone too

nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The husband entered the house and found his dear wife and the neighbour's wife deep in tears, howling with grief. When he asked what had happened he got the following answer:

Woman 1: We-ell we were sitting here and discussing that if this big heavy basket with onions were not hanging over the oven whyyy-hyyy-hyy-hyy... but were hanging over the baby's cradle.. yy-hyyyy-hyyyy.. (she broke down and was unable to continue).

Woman 2: .. and if then the nail that held the basket would brea-ak yy-hyy-hyy.. and the baa-ske-et would fall into the baby's cradle... yy-yyy-hyy..
The howling continued long into the night. The marriage didn't.

(based on old Irish tale)

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
The husband entered the house and found his dear wife and the neighbour's wife deep in tears, howling with grief. When he asked what had happened he got the following answer:

Woman 1: We-ell we were sitting here and discussing that if this big heavy basket with onions were not hanging over the oven whyyy-hyyy-hyy-hyy... but were hanging over the baby's cradle.. yy-hyyyy-hyyyy.. (she broke down and was unable to continue).

Woman 2: .. and if then the nail that held the basket would brea-ak yy-hyy-hyy.. and the baa-ske-et would fall into the baby's cradle... yy-yyy-hyy..
The howling continued long into the night. The marriage didn't.

(based on old Irish tale)

hehehe good one. i get the point you're right. we actually have an egyptian expression with the same meaning. i just wish i can implement it!

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
i think it also has a lot to do with my wedding date insahllah nearing. marriage is stressful and scary even if you are in love, and ofcourse now with those attacks my nerves are just raw.

Yes, I am sure a wedding is very stressful. I haven't had to deal with that, yet, but I watched my brother and sister-in-law go through it, and couldn't believe how stressful it was! I was stressed out just watching! It's actually made me think of eloping to Bermuda or something for a quick, simple ceremony without all the fanfare.

Are you moving to Australia or is he moving to Cairo? Have you been to Australia to visit yet? That is one country I have always wanted to visit....since reading fiction by Patrick White -- Voss, Riders in the Chariot.

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Yes, I am sure a wedding is very stressful. I haven't had to deal with that, yet, but I watched my brother and sister-in-law go through it, and couldn't believe how stressful it was! I was stressed out just watching! It's actually made me think of eloping to Bermuda or something for a quick, simple ceremony without all the fanfare.

Are you moving to Australia or is he moving to Cairo? Have you been to Australia to visit yet? That is one country I have always wanted to visit....since reading fiction by Patrick White -- Voss, Riders in the Chariot.

yeah i did visit sydeny last september, and its a very beautiful city. big, greenery, beautiful beaches, and the weather is similar to egypt which is great because i can't deal with the cold. and yeah inshallah we will live there and this is what's scary. marriage in itself is stressful but marriagge and immigration is a leathal mix. its funny because in university many of my friends were frustrated with egypt and wanted to leave while i was always the patriot (and still am) who was so attached to egypt and intended to stay. ironically i'm the one who fell in love with an australian egyptian and will leave. i'm very attached to egypt. i just can't believe that inshallah i won't live here anymore and i wouldn't be with my friends, and i wouldn't hear arabic wherever i go, and i would have to leave my job. and god only knows if i can continue my career there, it would kill me if i didn't, i've worked really hard for it. so it is very scary.
anyway when are you coming to cairo? i would like it if we meet up when you visit inshallah?

penelope
Member # 7434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for penelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi 7aya, how r u doing? well I kind of understand what u r going through, I myself is a worrier, & every now & then I've a new fear in which I think day & night, awake & asleep, but I try to tell myself that what I'm doing is not going to stop anything bad from happening, I'm not solving a problem but rather creating another one for a reason that dosen't exist from the first place, don't wait for bad things to happen, try be more optimistic like the prophet asked us to be, & dear do u know that innocent muslims who die in these explosions r martyrs, do u realize how shohada r treated after death, many ppl r praying for such a chance.
death is something we all fear but shouldn't be terrorised of it, it WILL happen to us all in a certain place, in a certain time, by a certain way, fearing of it'll not change those facts, but it could make us try to improve ourselves so as when we meet God we'll not be ashamed of ourselves.
& I think that ghada is right austrelia is (to an extent) safe, try not to worry about it, & if u couldn't try to put ur fears in the background, try to ignore them, or cope with them, u r a lovely young lady don't let those fears hinder u enjoying ur life with the man whom u love.
by the way how ur interview with hend was?

Posts: 219 | From: cairo, egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by penelope:
hi 7aya, how r u doing? well I kind of understand what u r going through, I myself is a worrier, & every now & then I've a new fear in which I think day & night, awake & asleep, but I try to tell myself that what I'm doing is not going to stop anything bad from happening, I'm not solving a problem but rather creating another one for a reason that dosen't exist from the first place, don't wait for bad things to happen, try be more optimistic like the prophet asked us to be, & dear do u know that innocent muslims who die in these explosions r martyrs, do u realize how shohada r treated after death, many ppl r praying for such a chance.
death is something we all fear but shouldn't be terrorised of it, it WILL happen to us all in a certain place, in a certain time, by a certain way, fearing of it'll not change those facts, but it could make us try to improve ourselves so as when we meet God we'll not be ashamed of ourselves.
& I think that ghada is right austrelia is (to an extent) safe, try not to worry about it, & if u couldn't try to put ur fears in the background, try to ignore them, or cope with them, u r a lovely young lady don't let those fears hinder u enjoying ur life with the man whom u love.
by the way how ur interview with hend was?

hi penelpe thanks for your kindness. a sheikh gave me this beautiful koranic ta7seen two years ago and i alwasy read it when i'm stressed, it has a very calming effect. inshallah i will read it soon, its a bit long though so i need to spare some quiet time my interview went fine elhamdullelah it will inshallah be published this week. by the way i wanted to meet you guys again before sara leaves. although lets go to a quieter place!

EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sara's going back to Norway on the 8th of Aug. (or 6th, can't remember), and she's going to Alex. on Tuesday. I'm not sure when she'll be back. Let's arrange something after she comes back from Alex ensha'allah.
Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
yeah i did visit sydeny last september, and its a very beautiful city. big, greenery, beautiful beaches, and the weather is similar to egypt which is great because i can't deal with the cold. and yeah inshallah we will live there and this is what's scary. marriage in itself is stressful but marriagge and immigration is a leathal mix. its funny because in university many of my friends were frustrated with egypt and wanted to leave while i was always the patriot (and still am) who was so attached to egypt and intended to stay. ironically i'm the one who fell in love with an australian egyptian and will leave. i'm very attached to egypt. i just can't believe that inshallah i won't live here anymore and i wouldn't be with my friends, and i wouldn't hear arabic wherever i go, and i would have to leave my job. and god only knows if i can continue my career there, it would kill me if i didn't, i've worked really hard for it. so it is very scary.
anyway when are you coming to cairo? i would like it if we meet up when you visit inshallah?

I know how you feel -- I am facing a move to Egypt, which is very different than how I live now. I am sure you will do fine.
:-)

Keep being patriotic to Egypt, I know you will. It is very good for Australians to meet people like you, especially someone who continues to love their native country. I was very lucky to grow up here near DC and meet all kinds of people from different countries. And Australians will be lucky to meet you.

I am also sure you will find a job in your profession over there. Your English is excellent. And you will make enough money to fly back to Egypt fairly often I would think -- once or twice a year.

I am coming to Cairo again near Christmas. My fiance will be going over again in August. It's possible i might get to go then but that depends if I can get time off from work. If you are still around (don't know when you are moving), I'd love to meet up with you, too. Maybe you can recommend some trendier restaurants than my fiance seems to know. ;-)

Take care,

Susan

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Surely, 7aya, you are hardworking like everyone else is. But one tip of advise from my side: Learn already now to be more tolerate towards others, statements like you killed an entire race, just brings you in a bad impression. You are going abroad, let your mind go abroad too. Doesn't mean to forget your home country. But what I am saying, you will find out for yourself after living in another culture.
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
snoozin, isa i will be in cairo in august, as for december isa ill be here the last ten days i think. and yeah i do know some great restaraunts.
debbie there is no such thing as normal or abnormal relationship. each couple decide what is comfortablle for them. if raniame and her bf decide that its ok to call several times a day then we don't have the right to judge do we? the same goes for my fiance and i.

best

[This message has been edited by 7aya (edited 31 July 2005).]

penelope
Member # 7434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for penelope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey girls it's great to talk to u here, especially that I didn't know ur screen names b4, now there is a diffrence, I'll be more than happy to meet u guys again, that includes sara , ok I've been thinking about quite places, what do u think about the house of donuts, egyptians don't like donuts a lot so it's a quite place there, what about u gals, do u like it? any way leave the place till we agree on the day & hour first, sms me or send me an e-mail, take it from sara, I sms it to virgo two days ago, & I'll send it to u 7aya as soon as I recharge, my credit is 0 right now see u soon guys
Posts: 219 | From: cairo, egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
Snoozin - Surely you see the difference between your behavior and the other? Calling ONCE to be sure your loved one is OK after a bomb like that is pretty normal. If you continued to call several times later that same day, and then the next day and then the next day.... that would be abnormal behavior, obsessive behavior.

Whatever. Just because my behavior somehow fits into your idea of normalcy doesn't mean other people's behavior isn't OK. This woman was concerned about her fiance who's 1000s of miles away, and was looking for some comfort and some advice on how to handle those worries.

You are being unduly harsh as far as I'm concerned. I really don't get people who want to add negativity to this world. Meanness is sometimes a sign of depression. Maybe 7aya isn't the one needing therapy. :-(

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
snoozin, isa i will be in cairo in august, as for december isa ill be here the last ten days i think. and yeah i do know some great restaraunts.
best

[This message has been edited by 7aya (edited 31 July 2005).]

Cool. e-mail me a susanj at bluebottle dot com if you'd like to keep in touch. If you and your husband get to DC in the future, and we're still here, we'd be more than happy to show you around this city. :-)

Susan

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Cool. e-mail me a susanj at bluebottle dot com if you'd like to keep in touch. If you and your husband get to DC in the future, and we're still here, we'd be more than happy to show you around this city. :-)

Susan

alright thats cool, ill email you!

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
your government created the holocaust you killed millions of jews but are you paying for it now? no you live in a nice house with greenery and cleanliness all around you, your kids play safely in the park, while palestinians are dying every day. oh and not just that do you know that germany gives millions of dollars as well as miliatary aid to israel, can you tell me how long do palestinians have to die for your atrocities and for your feelings of guilt?

Wallahy, it's indeed hard to believe that you claim to be a journalist.

Educate yourself first before you make such one-dimensional statements!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
Wallahy, it's indeed hard to believe that you claim to be a journalist.

Educate yourself first before you make such one-dimensional statements!

wallahi why don't you people leave my career alone. i'm not a journalist when i'm here i'm a forum user. i've always wondered why so many people haven't written there occupation in their profile, now i know. and whats up with the you "claim" to be a journalist, you make me feel that being journalist is such a glamrous job and i'm showing off with it. its just a normal job. oh my. if you don't like what i said and you think its one dimensional then yalla lets discuss it. but leave my personal life out.

[This message has been edited by 7aya (edited 01 August 2005).]

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
wallahi why don't you people leave my career alone. i'm not a journalist when i'm here i'm a forum user.

and whats up with the you "claim" to be a journalist, you make me feel that being journalist is such a glamrous job and i'm showing off with it. its just a normal job. oh my. if you don't like what i said and you think its one dimensional then yalla lets discuss it. but leave my personal life out.

I've worked with journalists for some time and lots of my friends happen to be journalists, so I don't think it is a glamorous job and I don't mean you're showing off or anything along those lines.

Working as a journalist usually has to do with collecting information, informing yourself on a subject and looking at it from different angles before judging something publicly. Your remarks about Germany and the Holocaust were off the mark and clearly showed that you don't know much about the subject, that's what I was referring to with my remark.

quote:
i've always wondered why so many people haven't written there occupation in their profile, now i know.

I never look at peoples' profiles and I didn't check yours, I was referring to your profession because it came up in this thread.

I'm a designer, btw, I didn't put it in my profile but it's not a secret.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 01 August 2005).]

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com