EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » PizzaHut and Kentucky Fried (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: PizzaHut and Kentucky Fried
Mrs. Doubtfire
Member # 9731

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs. Doubtfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luxor now has its very own PizzaHut and Kentucky Fried Chicken. It has only just opened and I went in to sample it. I can only say that the entire experience was perfect. You can find it near to the 7 Days 7 Ways English Restaurant and the Bombay Indian Restaurant. Its just on the roundabout just past the Sonnesta Hotel along the Cornish towards the Sheriton.
Posts: 304 | From: egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like Egypt is getting a dose of international global business. Chip, chip, chip

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As if Egyptians need the extra weight from junk food ...
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in another few years Cairo will be like Las Vegas. When the westernization process starts it will go quickly.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now, that's Vegas style exaggeration ...
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
possibly, but sooner or later it will happen. Actually it would be a big boost for the economy. With a little american imagination you could transform the entire city.

--------------------
God Bless President Bush

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

simplistic vision.

capitalism is more than just fast food restaurants. it functions best in an ecomony with a minimum gap between exports and imports ... which is clearly not the case in egypt.

Luxorlife
Member # 9763

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luxorlife   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KFC in Luxor is excellent - I went there this afternoon. Clean, good service, excellent value for money. Despite the arguments over Westernization, somewhere like this was urgently needed in Luxor, home to some of the worst restaurants in the country.

As Egypt develops, it is natural that Western influence will supercede the native culture, but that will not be all bad. The rights of women will be enforced, education will be more liberal, and the effect of Islam should be reduced, as it is in the so-called Christian West.

Posts: 26 | From: Luxor | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss Luxor [Frown]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by _Masrawi_:
simplistic vision.

capitalism is more than just fast food restaurants. it functions best in an ecomony with a minimum gap between exports and imports ... which is clearly not the case in egypt.

Why the deep talk now Masrawi ..now you lost him/her... [Wink]
Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
in another few years Cairo will be like Las Vegas. When the westernization process starts it will go quickly.
Yes, with Inner City crime and everything.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
quote:
Yes, with Inner City crime and everything.
Do we get CSI then?! [Eek!] [Big Grin]
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There this fast food shop called

Mo'min or Mo'men

anyone heard of it?

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Ki$$7eaven:
There this fast food shop called

Mo'min or Mo'men

anyone heard of it?

Yes .... i love their marketing campaign. they might actually evolve into the first Arabic fast food chain. Too bad the food isn't all that.
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:

OMG there were TONS of Pizza Huts, Mickie Ds, and KFC's in Cairo! Insane....with delivery too! Guys on vespas and pizza hut boxes on the back.

I hear Arby's is popular.

And I saw a Gold's Gym and TGIFridays....just like going to the mall here. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
OMG there were TONS of Pizza Huts, Mickie Ds, and KFC's in Cairo! Insane....with delivery too! Guys on vespas and pizza hut boxes on the back.

I hear Arby's is popular.

And I saw a Gold's Gym and TGIFridays....just like going to the mall here. [[Roll Eyes]]

Funny how many Khawagas think Egypt is some empty desert with people riding camels every where. Too much reading of Arabian Knights I guess.

Even the rural Fellahin in the Delta,Middle Egypt,and Upper Egypt have satellite television.

Who says Westernization is a good thing? Westernization means exposure to problems like high crime rates and deteriation of the family structure. Who wants the filth of popular Western culture spread into Egypt.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Funny how many Khawagas think Egypt is some empty desert with people riding camels every where. Too much reading of Arabian Knights I guess.

Even the rural Fellahin in the Delta,Middle Egypt,and Upper Egypt have satellite television.

Who says Westernization is a good thing? Westernization means exposure to problems like high crime rates and deteriation of the family structure. Who wants the filth of popular Western culture spread into Egypt.

I didn't think Egypt was a desert with nothing...I just didn't know there would be so many *American* things....

When I travel, I like to see different stuff, that's all. [Wink]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
quote:
I didn't think Egypt was a desert with nothing...I just didn't know there would be so many *American* things....

When I travel, I like to see different stuff, that's all. [[Wink]]

The comment was not directed towards you,Snoozin. This was direct to people like Horemheb or other people that have the image that Egypt is a Orientalist streotype.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mo'min or Mo'men

anyone heard of it?

ROFL

Half of Cairo has hepatitis from eating there!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:
Mo'min or Mo'men

anyone heard of it?

ROFL

Half of Cairo has hepatitis from eating there!

They've cleaned their image quite a bit ... u'd be surprised.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:

How did they do that?
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

not inyour lifetime. [Razz]
Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:

Westernization means exposure to problems like high crime rates and deteriation of the family structure.

Ya salam!

We have all that and more behind closed doors.

quote:

Who wants the filth of popular Western culture spread into Egypt.

Ummm! Me! As long as the filth in the streets of Cairo goes away in exchange. [Cool]

I'm going to bed now. Good night.

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

How did they do that?
Better store appearances and better training programs for the employees, i guess ...

For instance, one store in Midan Truimph was taken over from a previous McDonalds and converted to a Moemen. If it wasn't for the sign, u wouldn't be able to tell the difference inside or outside.

Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a franchise here called Ali Baba-yes its kebabs and middle eastern food. Its reallllly popular because its cheap, tasty and actually better than those kfc kind of things. Have you noticed that the whole of the food for kfc is brown? Brown chips brown chicken brown gravey.
kfc is disgusting here. Its better Oportos which is portugeuse chicken burgers and chicken-they will put kfc outta business. AND they serve fresh chilli-as if you can eat greasy chicken with no chilli Mr Colonel KFC.KFC in indonesia is good-you get a plate of rice and chilli sauce on tap! Do the food courts in egypt have places to wash hands before you eat-I mean like as a feature of the foods court? They do in jakarta, but do not here which I find really quite yuk now.

Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
QUOTE]Funny how many Khawagas think Egypt is some empty desert with people riding camels every where. Too much reading of Arabian Knights I guess.

For sure I am proud to be a khawaga and I didn't know different before I came to Egypt and experienced otherwise.

Forgive less educated people like me, we don't mean bad.......

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
in another few years Cairo will be like Las Vegas.

It will never be and thanks god!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh its great....

I thought it was an american chain store [Roll Eyes] cos it was that good...

I was glad to hear it as Egyptian/arab owned...
I guess the more customer that goes there, the more they will be able to improve...
the one in Alex is so butiful...you can see the med sea, on the top floor:)

Fast food seems like a goood business start-up in Egypt...

quote:
quote:

How did they do that?

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
quote:
For sure I am proud to be a khawaga and I didn't know different before I came to Egypt and experienced otherwise.

Forgive less educated people like me, we don't mean bad.......

It's cool. My comment was not really directed at people like you but for Horemheb about Westernization. His attitude is so arrogant.

I also have nothing against Westernization,for in reality its a double edge sword.

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
KFC fried chicken sucks. Popeyes is much better than KFC.
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats popeyes [Confused] egyptian....

I thought "ancient egyptian board memeber" dont read any other boards.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
--
here...
[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0955020700/qid%3D1133898517/026-7853042-0414807= Recommended...![/url]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
quote:
Whats popeyes [[Confused]] egyptian....

I thought "ancient egyptian board memeber" dont read any other boards.... [[Roll Eyes]]

Popeyes is a fried chicken fast-food chain in America.
daria1975
Member # 6244

I hate fried chicken..... [Frown]
yazziegurl
Member # 9746

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazziegurl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i was in cairo i even saw a chilies

unfortunately i was to busy to ever go [Mad]

--------------------
*all is fair in love and war*

Posts: 4 | From: alexandria | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

KFC must have been around for close to 20 years, Macdonalds around 10. Pizza Hut for many years, Hardee's, Chillies, Arby's, a place called 'Fudruckers' recently sprung up, don't know it but it's got to be American, I guess! - they're all here. But the vast majority of the population still eat the traditional fool and taamiya/falafel not only for economic reasons. It's a staple as the workday mid-morning/lunch snack.

Anyway I wouldn't call fast food invasions 'westernization'- Americanization perhaps.

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by citizen:
quote:

'Fudruckers'

...we have a name for it in NJ.JUST SWITCH THE (f) AND THE (r).... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:

Anyway I wouldn't call fast food invasions 'westernization'- Americanization perhaps.

no. globalization.
yazziegurl
Member # 9746

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazziegurl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol funny [Smile]

--------------------
*all is fair in love and war*

Posts: 4 | From: alexandria | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger1225:
quote:
quote:

'Fudruckers'

...we have a name for it in NJ.JUST SWITCH THE (f) AND THE (r).... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
u said fuk [Eek!]
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

YOU SAID IT NOT ME...WHAT SUP...MASRI...YOU ARE NOT TALKING TO ME?

--------------------
PEACE

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
YOU SAID IT NOT ME...WHAT SUP...MASRI...YOU ARE NOT TALKING TO ME?

Why would u think that?! I love u man ... [Smile]
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

I love you too...but watch out there are some gender sensetive people around here...we can not love each other too much in front of them.. [Smile]

--------------------
PEACE

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
I love you too...but watch out there are some gender sensetive people around here...we can not love each other too much in front of them.. [Smile]

right. let me edit my statement then:

i love you (in that non-sexual, friendly but not too friendly, brotherly even though u are not my brother by birth, kinda way) man ...

daria1975
Member # 6244

It's getting too weird in here. [Roll Eyes]
*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
quote:

right. let me edit my statement then:

i love you (in that non-sexual, friendly but not too friendly, brotherly even though u are not my brother by birth, kinda way) man ...

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] LLLLLLLOOOOOOLLLLLL

anytime you decide you want to visit USA...let me Know ..you have a week free stay any where in ther metro area...on Me...your lovable brother

*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:

WHY..Snoozin..Have you told a female friend that you love her..without realy * LOVING* her in any other way but admiration....so I do ..Love Masri's sence of humor and way of thinking...as much as I love yours... [Smile]
daria1975
Member # 6244

[Smile]

Nope, never told a woman that. But this is my hang up, I know. My family always says it's cold and emotionless because of our British roots -- don't mean to offend any Brits out there. But there are no *I love yous* or hugs or kisses anywhere to be seen.

If/when I have my own family, God willing, it will be *entirely* different... [Smile]

*tigerman*
Member # 9196

quote:
[Smile]

Nope, never told a woman that. But this is my hang up, I know. My family always says it's cold and emotionless because of our British roots -- don't mean to offend any Brits out there. But there are no *I love yous* or hugs or kisses anywhere to be seen.

If/when I have my own family, God willing, it will be *entirely* different... [Smile]

wHEN YOU GO TO eGYPT ..EXPECT TO BE [Cool] HUGGED ..till they squeeze the life out of you....at least that is my wife had to face when we visited..
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

WHY..Snoozin..Have you told a female friend that you love her..without realy * LOVING* her in any other way but admiration....so I do ..Love Masri's sence of humor and way of thinking...as much as I love yours... [Smile]
merci. u're da man.
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
[Smile]

ouch.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com