EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » International Movers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: International Movers
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone used a very good or very bad international moving company? Basically I need to ship everything by sea freight and I don't want to go with someone too expensive or who will damage or lose my stuff.
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, I was quoted $2000 or more for a 20 foot cargo container.

And there is insurance, but they can't promise anything.

You pack and they will load the pallets into the cargo container. They suggest using plastic wrap to secure the pallet load.

And you need to list everthing according to pallet for customs.

I contacted about 5 different ocean freight shippers. I was told 30 days port to port.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[IMG]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/241/shipping5yd.th.jpg[/IMG]

This is what a quote looks like. 200lbs isn't very much. And I am sure that this is for one pallet alone.

If you have been hired already by a major firm, they do have benefits packages that include this type of expense. Look and get in touch with your recruiter, they'll know whether you are privy to relocation expenses reimbursement. Or if they pay for ocean freight straight out.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I am allowed $1200. They provide all the furniture, so I have to decide what to take and what compay to use. I just want to find a good company to do a good job.
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Consumer Affairs has done a number of publications on this topic.

But I am sure that GBW has gutted that agency. [Roll Eyes]

There are expatriate yahoo groups that have message archives.

like abroadview at yahoo groups, I am on their mailing list but rarely open the emails.

And another one is expatfocus and of course el-shella.

http://www.expatexchange.net/ is another mailing list I get.

Do some digging, but in the end there are about 20 some major companies I know of that do ocean freight to the middle east.

I'd be more worried about handling customs once your shippment arrives. Every port is different in every Arab country.

FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
I have advice on how to handle everything at customs and how to label things etc. from the school, I just wish they would have recommended a company. I will ask them, the director has been in the USA for several weeks, but I believe he is now back in the office.
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi FairyDust!

It is difficult for anyone in Egypt to recommend a shipping company as you will need to use one that is based near where you live now.

From my experience, the problem is not with the shipping agent, as either they or you will pack up all your stuff carefully, the problem comes when it gets to Alexandria docks and the customs people unpack every single item to assess it for customs duty. I had footmarks over my sheets and several things missing but most of the damage occured after they had "re-packed" everything to send it onto me in Cairo...it looked as if they had just thrown everything into the nearest box they could find!!! And on top of that, to add insult to injury, they charge you a unpacking and repacking fee!!!! [Eek!] You will need to be prepared to pay the additional customs charges and duty before they will release your shipment from the docks...that can be expensive, depending on what you are shipping. Ann gave a good idea of the recent charges on here recently if you can do a search for that, it might be useful when packing.

So if you have anything that is really precious...don't ship it, put it in your personal luggage...and just pray that most of your other stuff arrives, and in one piece.

By the way, you can reduce your costs by getting a part container, but that means that you are sharing with someone else and may have a delay until they can fill the container.

Also the shipping may only take one month, but it can take a further 2 months to clear through customs and be delivered to your home from the docking time...so be prepared for that delay.

It's best also to get a shipping agent that delivers from door-to-door otherwise you will have to find someone here in Egypt to do a pick up from Alexandria and that could be more expensive and also difficult to arrange, unless your emplyer can do that for you.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anneke
Member # 9815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anneke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just been through the experience of having furniture & other belongings shipped from the UK to Egypt by sea. In Egypt, I used Allied Pickfords, they are very good but expensive. Custom clearance is a pain in the neck, make sure you have all the documents required to clear the shipment (work permit/residency permit, bank letter etc.), or you will have to revert to other ways to get the shipment released.
Good luck
Ann

Posts: 42 | From: Maadi, Cairo | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com