EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Doctor or Nurse?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doctor or Nurse?
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does it mean when a patient is *colonized?* Is that infected by bacteria or something else that somehow takes up residence in our body???

[Eek!]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonized means that microbiology have isolated a certain strain of bacteria, virus and named it. It also means that the certain colony is breeding and living in the host ie patient.
When they take a swab they will plate it and offer it different antibiotics. Depending on the result after incubation , they will then know whether it is resistant or sensitive to the antibiotic.
If it is sensitive they will give the patient a course of that particular antibiotic.
MRSA is a deadly form of bacteria which is resistant to most antibiotics!! and very hard to treat.
[Smile]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are ya Tooti, and how is everything.

--------------------
No papa! No mama! No whisky soda!

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Still-Learning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tooti you know a lot of things, you must have great knowledge.
Posts: 1473 | From: France | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tootifrooti:
Colonized means that microbiology have isolated a certain strain of bacteria, virus and named it. It also means that the certain colony is breeding and living in the host ie patient.
When they take a swab they will plate it and offer it different antibiotics. Depending on the result after incubation , they will then know whether it is resistant or sensitive to the antibiotic.
If it is sensitive they will give the patient a course of that particular antibiotic.
MRSA is a deadly form of bacteria which is resistant to most antibiotics!! and very hard to treat.
[Smile]

Thanks, Tooti. [Smile]

I'm dealing with MRSA and VRE right now at work. It's a bit outside my scope of knowledge and wasn't sure how to characterize it. But I also found some good information from the CDC. Scary stuff.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Still-Learning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but why colonized? has it got to do with the colon??
Posts: 1473 | From: France | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Scary stuff.

Scary, isn't it.
daria1975
Member # 6244

[Big Grin] That's the first thing I thought...but it has to do with a colony.

colonize

v 1: settle as a colony; of countries in the developing world; "Europeans colonized Africa in the 17th century" [syn: colonise] [ant: decolonize] 2: settle as colonists or establish a colony (in); "The British colonized the East Coast" [syn: colonise]

Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bla Bla bla .............

--------------------

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
How do you catch it?
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MRSA is multi resistant to all but vancomycin and another i cannot remember off hand.
We all have Staph Aureus in our noses.
If we go to the doctor for every infection and he prescribes antibiotics and we take them BUT!!!!! do not finish the course, the bacteria will become resistant. That is why we must finish every course!!!
Every tablet to finish off the bug.
Because of people not finishing courses they then have MRSA colonizing thier noses.
Now in the healthy person it is not a problem. BUT if you visit someone in hospital and they have had surgery and ONE!! of those bugs gets into the wound they colonise it. If the patient is young, elderly, immune deficient, they can die from the MRSA because they cannot find and develope antibiotics to keep up with the constant mutation of the bug.

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
If you know anyone with MRSA keep any open wounds away from them. It is passed through the air, coughing, sneezing, on clothes, bedding many ways!!
It is deadly in the compromised patient.
You may have it and not even know till you have an operation.
[Eek!]

daria1975
Member # 6244

Well, I'm dealing with it in hospital and other health-care facility settings, where people are more likely to catch it because they have weakened-immune systems.

This is all what I've read on the CDC website. I'm not a health care person, so I'm not totally sure I'm telling this accurately:

MRSA is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus....this type of bacteria, S. Aureus, is usually found in a person's nasal passages. But a person with a regular immune system shouldn't have a problem with it. It's an immune weakened person who's in trouble...and since many of these bacteria have developed resistance to the antibiotics we have today...the infections can run rampant.

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Corv I am fine and you?
working hard , doing lots of trauma cases and fixing the broken bones. LOL not long till home time. xxx [Wink]

Corvinous
Member # 6578

ok

--------------------

daria1975
Member # 6244

Never mind -- Tooti described it better. [Smile]
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
That is what I said.
No problem in healthy person, but deadly in compromised patient. If it gets into the wound. We say multi resistant here because it has gone way beyond methicillin now!!! [Eek!]

Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
And if we smoke cigarettes i bet it doesn't help.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
[Big Grin] That's the first thing I thought...but it has to do with a colony.

colonize

v 1: settle as a colony; of countries in the developing world; "Europeans colonized Africa in the 17th century" [syn: colonise] [ant: decolonize] 2: settle as colonists or establish a colony (in); "The British colonized the East Coast" [syn: colonise]

Kinda strange that medical professionals use this term for this condition, yet colonialization is still considered a positive political, warfare and economic tool to some. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Actually I dont think it makes a difference but I will ask a doc.
We all have it in our noses, some have the resistant strain, some not. Depends on how many antibiotics you have taken and if you finished the courses.
A simple swab will show if you have it or not.
[Smile]

Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
Actually I dont think it makes a difference but I will ask a doc.
We all have it in our noses, some have the resistant strain, some not. Depends on how many antibiotics you have taken and if you finished the courses.
A simple swab will show if you have it or not.
[Smile]

Of course it will
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
That is because when you look at the agar plate, you will see where it has been swabbed the area is covered by billions of bugs, the rest is clear, but after a few days incubation the whole plate will be colonised.
A bit like a snails trail exactly where the swab has been brushed over it.

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Moral of the story.
Dont get antibiotics for every sore throat etc and if you do, you must take every single tablet!!
Or the bug comes back stonger than ever and mutated. Requiring a different antibiotic next time.
[Wink]

Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
this is a hard illness. I'm freaked out. Really.
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
It is deadly if in the wrong patient. We have many patients here with it. I had one today.
daria1975
Member # 6244

OK, so if I've barely used antibiotics in my life, is this a *good* thing or a bad thing?
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
very good thing. Your body will be sensitive to antibiotics. Especially if the ones you did have, you took all tablets [Wink]
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
this is a hard illness. I'm freaked out. Really.
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
BUT!!! if you have surgery, and an MRSA bug gets in the wound, this particular bug will not be sensitive. So you wont find only but a few will kill it.
We are all walking around with Staph Aureus,in our noses , some of us are carriers of MRSA, and dont realise it.

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Dont be freaked out. It's life. Just avoid antibiotics if you can. If you take them finish the course. If you have surgery keep your wound covered, and avoid like hell known MRSA patients if you have a wound.
If you have it try to avoid any open wounds in people, especially if they are elderly or compromised like HIV, leukaemia, new born etc [Wink]

daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
very good thing. Your body will be sensitive to antibiotics. Especially if the ones you did have, you took all tablets [Wink]

Tablets...vs. a shot? [Confused]
Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
OK, so, in fact it's all good, just go hard on the tablets?
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
A shot is no good at all because it is a one off. If you have a course of shots then fine but who would want that.
Course of shots, course of tablets assuming you take all of them and are not sick, and take at the time of day stated the effect is the same.
Always take as directed every 6 hours etc dont delay the time period between if you can.

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
In surgery we always give a huge shot intra op then follow up with a course of tablets for 7-10 days.
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Take every one, at the time stated and you will be fine. Keep all wounds covered till a scab forms and the wound is dry.
[Wink]

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
I have to go now to do another operation but will check in later and answer any other queries if you have any. [Wink]
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
If anyone wants any advice I am happy to help or if I dont know I will ask the my colleagues.
Can answer most things on all types of surgery.
[Wink]

Corvinous
Member # 6578

How to kill someone by long term poison ?!

--------------------

her maj
Member # 10299

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for her maj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Killed 6 husbands like that, all are buried under the patio now. LOL !!!!
What's your favourite poison?
and why long term, why not quick!!!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 115 | From: Buckingham Palace | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Please, I don't know any name of poison except for Arsenic, but I wanna something that does not cause immediate panic and illness ...

--------------------

her maj
Member # 10299

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for her maj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best one for our family and has proved effective every time is the chopping block.
Uncle Henry had a grand old time with that method!!
Causes maximum panic but no illness!!!
Bit messy though........... [Big Grin]

Posts: 115 | From: Buckingham Palace | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

YOU ARE JOKING, OK.

--------------------

Still-Learning
Member # 9153

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Corvinous:
Please, I don't know any name of poison except for Arsenic, but I wanna something that does not cause immediate panic and illness ...

What kind of joke is that?
Corvinous
Member # 6578

It is no joke I need it really.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com