EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » sand sucks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sand sucks
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just came home and was covered with sand! This is craaaaaaaaaaaaaazy
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like the Khamseen has come early this year; my place is the same. I am debating whether to clean it up as it comes or wait until it is over...which could be several days...if not longer!!! It depends on how long can I stand it [Eek!]
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ate sand for lunch today.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
snow and rain sucks.......
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i kinda like rain [Smile]
and i dont understand why ppl take umbrellas with them.. I like getting wet.. even though the hijab is kinda annoying when wet.. but i love it!

lol minry.. thats gotta suck.. how long does this sand storm continue?

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are sand storms the only weather changes in Egypt?
The two times I have been in Cairo the weather was so boring - indeed the one day there was a sand storm it was a refreshing change!

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:
and i dont understand why ppl take umbrellas with them.. I like getting wet.. even though the hijab is kinda annoying when wet.. but i love it!

lol minry.. thats gotta suck.. how long does this sand storm continue?

Warm rain, yes. Cold, icy rain....NO! [Eek!]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boring?? BORING?? HUH!!?? I looove the weather there.. would love to have it instead of they cloudy weather here..
my sister called me she told me its around 26 degrees over there..
Boring?? its called warm and sunny [Big Grin]

Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Azyap time in Hurghada, I've been told!!!
It's the only time you can hang your washing out.... and have it come in wetter than it went out!!! YEUK!!!
And... underwater.... everything is churned up!!! Maybe I'm glad I'm not back diving yet!!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samia:
Azyap time in Hurghada, I've been told!!!
It's the only time you can hang your washing out.... and have it come in wetter than it went out!!! YEUK!!!
And... underwater.... everything is churned up!!! Maybe I'm glad I'm not back diving yet!!!

Same in DC during summer... Soon.. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was sunny almost all day today! It was so nice.
Though it was colder than heck out.
[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we have a beautiful spring-winter morning -10c and very bright sun and white white snow.
It will get warmer during the day.
My Egyptian husband got the hint of downhill skiing last winter and he loves it so it is a great time for that at the moment and he is already quite good in it.
The weather is beautiful and the cold does not feel bad at all as it is a dry cold and no wind.
I must admit though that I miss the sun and the warmth of Egypt and even the sand I love the deserts

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mimmi:
Here we have a beautiful spring-winter morning -10c and very bright sun and white white snow.
My Egyptian husband got the hint of downhill skiing last winter and he loves it so it is a great time for that at the moment and he is already quite good in it.
The weather is beautiful and the cold does not feel bad at all as it is a dry cold and no wind.
I must admit though that I miss the sun and the warmth of Egypt and even the sand I love the deserts

-10c is a beautiful spring morning??? oh my god that is freezing!!!!! [Eek!]
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Samia, Guess who cleaned their balcony again at the weekend? No more until the end of the month when I am told this should blow itself out.
There is sand everywhere, and I mean everywhere!

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mimmi
Member # 3606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mimmi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat- nefsi fe sobya:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimmi:

-10c is a beautiful spring morning??? oh my god that is freezing!!!!! [Eek!]
Belive me it does not feel cold.
That's what my husband was surprised of first time when he came here in the winter.
We know what to wear to keep warm and indoors it is never cold.

Posts: 523 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by minry80:
I just came home and was covered with sand! This is craaaaaaaaaaaaaazy

No kidding, even if I bolt up the apartment, this fine small dust comes in from I don't know where! Grrr! I just sweep and dust 50 times a day to keep it at bay!
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
primak
Member # 494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for primak         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there's sand in my bed...how does it get there?
Posts: 1516 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you eat a SANDwich there?
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theres sand in my bath also and i can feel the sand`s smell all around the house..Harkkkkkk Puiiiiii (dats a spit) [Razz]
Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remeber when i moved to cairo for university and for the first time i was living alone. there was khamaseen, and the maid suggested that we close all the windows and balcony, but i told her not to, because i'm hot, and its not that dusty anyway! the next day i woke up, and i swear the entire house was covered by sand. i even had sand on my blanket, pillow, hair, and mouth! ya lahwi! from then on i learned to close the windows!
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by tootifrooti:
Did you eat a SANDwich there?
[Big Grin]

Yes....but without the "wich" part
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7ayat,my windows are closed ALL of them but still its sneaking in somehow.im washing all the house every day,but im changing water around 5 times onto one room only..this really sucks!!!besides its really tiring.I just cleaned the kitchen cabinets last week,come and take a look now how they look,GRRRRRR full of sand.
Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this wind blowing from east to west? How long does it last?

Some type of wind picks sand up from the Sahara desert each year and carries the sand as far as Florida!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4775192

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
It looks like the Khamseen has come early this year; my place is the same. I am debating whether to clean it up as it comes or wait until it is over...which could be several days...if not longer!!! It depends on how long can I stand it [Eek!]

I'm wondering are you "he" or "she"! [Confused]
Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Semsema:
Hey Samia, Guess who cleaned their balcony again at the weekend? No more until the end of the month when I am told this should blow itself out.
There is sand everywhere, and I mean everywhere!

Yeeeeuk.... so my apartment will also be full of sand!!! I'll probably spend my first day back just cleaning out!!! [Frown]
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Is this wind blowing from east to west? How long does it last?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4775192

In Hurghada it goes from South to North, instead of the other way round.... if the diving centres get caught out,and don't moor their boats in the opposite direction.... total devastation and destruction..... I've seen it!!!
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today seemed to improve thankfully.
Not only dealing with the mess everywhere, it kills my sinuses! Each time this sandy wind picks up I catch a cold.... [Frown]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does no one wear any kind of mask to protect themselves from inhaling it all? It can't be good for your insides.
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I don't know about that but I pretty much become a hermit. I stay indoors, and don't really leave unless absolutely necessary, having my husband go out and get things needed alone. I'm perfectly happy locking myself indoors to let the dust storm pass...
People here just seem used to it~
I'm soft! [Frown] [Frown]

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Paint Me As I Am:
quote:
Originally posted by Serendipity:

///

Have plenty of rain here in Cali- if u want some [Big Grin]

well i take back what i said...
rain and cold weather is NOT GOOD!
It was a rainstorm today, and me and mum decided to go shop food for the dinner party tomorrow.
the wind blew north, the wind blew south, the wind blew everywhere.. and the rain.. it was like being in the shower with clothes on!!!!

garfield
Member # 10258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for garfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember my first real dust storm in Hurghada...thought I was in a WHITE OUT like in the winter time in Wisconsin....not fun at all
Posts: 91 | From: Egypt/Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com