EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Are Egyptian University Degrees Recognized Abroad? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are Egyptian University Degrees Recognized Abroad?
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The discussion on the other thread made me wonder about the different experiences we must have had with our Egyptian degrees.

For Egyptian expats with a career, please share how you've managed to get your degree recognized abroad.

(Sono, hands off of this thread or else!)

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hosbond's degree was recognized in the U.S., no question. And I think he went to Cairo University (the public one?). Not AUC. If that makes a difference, since I think AUC is accredited by an American accreditation organization.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massenburg
Member # 10776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for massenburg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try this site;

http://www.wes.org

Posts: 407 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timo
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pharmacy and (most) Medicine degrees need equivelncy tests in England,USA,Canada ...u have to pass tests on 2 year period in USA as an example to be able to work there
Posts: 420 | From: LALA Land | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KERDA(chimps:)munki dnt chop banana
Member # 11116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KERDA(chimps:)munki dnt chop banana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MY HUSBANDS BA IN MATHS WAS RECONISED HERE BUT HES STILL HAVING TO DO EXAM WITH THE 4YEAR PERIOD HE CAN TEACH UNQUALIFIED FOR TEACHING AS OVERSEAS TEACHER AND ITS EVEN HARDER HERE CUS UNEED A CRB CHECK AND THEY DONT DO EGYPT
Posts: 354 | From: deputydawgland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
University of Tanta, faculty of Economics was valued as some highschool in administration and bookkeeping.
Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
The discussion on the other thread made me wonder about the different experiences we must have had with our Egyptian degrees.

For Egyptian expats with a career, please share how you've managed to get your degree recognized abroad.

(Sono, hands off of this thread or else!)

I will be diging up reliable data, and will be posting it on this thread.

You don't own this board MK.

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Mafia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad graduated from Ain Shams Engineering...Purdue University in the US accepted his degree and they told him that almost all US universities only accept Ain Shams Engineering degree! and the rest will either be not accepted or will have to do numerous testing!

so He did Masters and PhD with Purdue!

Posts: 183 | From: Toronto, Canada / Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egyptian Mafia:
My dad graduated from Ain Shams Engineering...Purdue University in the US accepted his degree and they told him that almost all US universities only accept Ain Shams Engineering degree! and the rest will either be not accepted or will have to do numerous testing!

so He did Masters and PhD with Purdue!

Alright that is a university accepting a degree, but an employer?

I have a South African former classmate who earned his bachelors and masters degree in engineering in South Africa.

His bachelors and his masters! But the only position he could acquire in the field was an Engineering assistant position in operations. He later went back and did his bachelors in MIS and now is earning his MBA.

His wife had a nursing degree and had to go back to college to re-earn her degree also.

For universities to accept a bachelors from just about anywhere is normal, but employers won't.

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Pharmacy and (most) Medicine degrees need equivelncy tests in England,USA,Canada ...u have to pass tests on 2 year period in USA as an example to be able to work there

Yeah they need to pass the state licensing exam, but need to do an internships or residency no matter how many years of experience they have.

There are extra steps and some organizations (HMOs, clinics, and hospitals like) won't accept medical/pharmacy degrees unless the applicant has earned an advanced degree in the USA or has specialized through a private practice (extremely rare).

There is a difference between accepting a degree for employment and accepting a degree for further education.

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian Mafia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh...if you talking about employee...well my dad is working with GM Canada. and his position is...

Senior Product Planner Engineer...and he is the person in charge of Chevy Impala, Buick Allure, Pontiac Grand Prix.

He was also a Brand Quality Manager.

He was also Area Service Manager (Check on Dealerships),

Posts: 183 | From: Toronto, Canada / Cairo, Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
oh...if you talking about employee...well my dad is working with GM Canada. and his position is...

Senior Product Planner Engineer...and he is the person in charge of Chevy Impala, Buick Allure, Pontiac Grand Prix.

Okay did he secure that position before he was done with his advanced degrees that he earned in the USA?

Does your father have any co-workers who have Egyptian degrees and only Egyptian degrees, no USA accredited university degree working at that level?

Would he have HR (human resources) backing to hire an employee with an Egyptian degree and no western degree for a equitable position?

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep the posts coming guys..

Sono's marara (gall bladder) needs to be dealt with here.

Sono.. My sister (29) shares the a dental practice in California since two years. She went to the US just after graduation and took only the exams she needed to get registered and immediately started a practice.

She's one of the best dentists in her area to treat difficult children. They refer children to her when they are almost impossible to treat..

And yes Sono I own this board [Big Grin]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timo
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Koshari ...i heard that Dentists and Physical therapists dnt need equivelncy tests like Pharmacists in the states nor Canada bec they need big nomber of them there ...is it true ??

SoNO ...if i do masters in the states ...do i still have to do this equivelcny tests no matter what to work there ?? even if i did an MD or PHD ?

Posts: 420 | From: LALA Land | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
hey Koshari ...i heard that Dentists and Physical therapists dnt need equivelncy tests like Pharmacists in the states nor Canada bec they need big nomber of them there ...is it true ??

SoNO ...if i do masters in the states ...do i still have to do this equivelcny tests no matter what to work there ?? even if i did an MD or PHD ?

If you do your masters in the USA then you won't take any other licensure exam that any other graduate from an American university would not have to take.

And in the USA we don't need a great number of physical therapists.

My sisters best friend from high school didn't obtain part time work until 2 years after graduation and my sisters sister-in-law didn't obtain part time work until 3 after graduation.

physical therapy entails a residency in Minnesota and if they only grant part-time residency it takes double the amount of time to progress through residency.

Dentistry you need to have a license through the state board of denistry. And that is according to the specifications of each state.

Many, many, dentists from outside the USA their degrees aren't recognized by the Minnesota Board of Denistry. A circulumn and "apprenticeship" or "residency" must be approved by the state denistry board.

So they look at how the courses were taught, the professors crendentials that taught the classes, the equipment used in classroom labs, the quality of the exams (tests) and how those tests were graded.

Not all post-secondary education systems are equal.

A person who graduates from "National American University" will be laughed at by offices with employees who went to Saint Cathrines, University of Minnesota and so forth. Not all universites and colleges in the USA are equal. Thats why there are different accredation boards.

And from what I hear select universities in Europe to share circulumn requirements, professor recruitment practices, exam criteria requirements and grading scales with corresponding accredation boards in the USA. Its called "parallel accredation".

Not all education is equal.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Don't know for sure Timo-Maganes.. But what I know is that she did some board-like exams then immediately got a job in a dental practice as a dentist for a couple of years in order to get a Green Card, then she got a license to start her own practice.

(P.s.: No internet-love sshit. She did it all on her own Sono [Razz] )

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
quote:

Don't know for sure Timo-Maganes.. But what I know is that she did some board-like exams then immediately got a job in a dental practice as a dentist for a couple of years in order to get a Green Card, then she got a license to start her own practice.

(P.s.: No internet-love sshit. She did it all on her own Sono [Razz] )

In otherwords an apprentiship in which her employer vouched for her credentials.

She learned how denistry is organized and what the state criterias are for practicing denistry in the state of California.

Her employer then vouched that she has the skils to take the board certification.

She also worked under a "employer sponsored visa"

Completely different than just walking into the country on a work visa or a diversity visa, or a lottery visa and having to find her own connections.

Unless her employer vouched for her she wouldn't have been able to sit for the licensing exam.

Wasta wasta wasta!

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

About ACCREDITATION

The goal of accreditation is to ensure that education provided by institutions of higher education meets acceptable levels of quality. Accreditation in the United States involves non-governmental entities as well as governmental agencies.

Accrediting agencies, which are private educational associations of regional or national scope, develop evaluation criteria and conduct peer evaluations to assess whether or not those criteria are met. Institutions and/or programs that request an agency's evaluation and that meet an agency's criteria are then "accredited" by that agency.

The U.S. Department of Education does not accredit educational institutions and/or programs. However, the Secretary of Education is required by law to publish a list of nationally recognized accrediting agencies that the Secretary determines to be reliable authorities as to the quality of education or training provided by the institutions of higher education and the higher education programs they accredit. An agency seeking national recognition by the Secretary must meet the Secretary's procedures and criteria for the recognition of accrediting agencies, as published in the Federal Register. Some of the criteria for recognition, such as the criterion requiring a link to Federal programs, have no bearing on the quality of an accrediting agency; however, they do have the effect of making some agencies ineligible for recognition for reasons other than quality. The recognition process involves not only filing an application with the U. S. Department of Education but also review by the National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity, which makes a recommendation to the Secretary regarding recognition. The Secretary, after considering the Committee's recommendation, makes the final determination regarding recognition.

The U.S. Secretary of Education also recognizes State agencies for the approval of public postsecondary vocational education and State agencies for the approval of nurse education. These agencies must meet the Secretary's criteria and procedures for such recognition and must undergo review by the National Advisory Committee.

The U. S. Department of Education does not accredit institutions in foreign countries. However, the Secretary of Education does appoint members to the National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation. The law gives that Committee the responsibility for reviewing the standards that foreign countries use to accredit medical schools to determine whether those standards are comparable to the standards used to accredit medical schools in the United States. The comparability decisions made by the Committee affect whether U.S. students attending foreign medical schools can receive loans under the Federal Family Education Loan Program.

http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/userHelp/aboutAccr.asp

This explains why not all US university and college degress are equal, and certainly not many universities and colleges outside of the USA adhere to these standards:

http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html

Decisions: Countries Determined to Have Comparable Accreditation Standards for Medical Schools

The countries listed below have been reviewed by the NCFMEA and found to use standards to accredit their medical schools that are comparable to the standards used to accredit medical schools in the United States. The date(s) in parentheses is (are) the date(s) of the Committee's decision(s) of comparability.

AUSTRALIA (2/95 and 3/01) - Australian Medical Council (AMC)
(Note: The Australian Medical Council also accredits medical schools in New Zealand under the terms of an agreement with that country.)

CANADA (2/95 and 3/01) - Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools (CACMS)

CAYMAN ISLANDS (9/02, 9/03 and 9/04) - Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine (ACCM)
(Note: In September 2002, the NCFMEA determined that based on the most recent information and materials received, the standards and processes to be used by the Cayman Islands to evaluate and accredit St. Matthew's University School of Medicine are comparable to those used to accredit medical schools in the United States. However, the NCFMEA limited the period of comparability to one year. In September 2003, the NCFMEA extended the period of comparability for another year. In September 2004, the NCFMEA extended the period of comparability for three years.)

COSTA RICA (3/99) - Consejo Nacional de Ensenanza Superior Universitaria Privada (CONESUP)

CZECH REPUBLIC (3/98 and 9/04) - Czech Republic Accreditation Commission (CRAC)

DOMINICA (10/97 and 3/01) - Medical Board/Ministry of Health & Social Security

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (10/97 and 3/04) - National Council of Higher Education, Science and Technology (SEESCYT)

GRENADA (9/96 and 3/01) - Grenada Ministry of Health, Social Security, The Environment, and Ecclesiastical Relations in conjunction with the New York State Department of Education's Office of the Professions

HUNGARY (3/97 and 3/03) - Hungarian Accreditation Committee (HAC)

INDIA (3/97 and 3/03) - Medical Council of India (MCI)

IRELAND (3/97 and 9/03) - Irish Medical Council (IMC)

ISRAEL (9/99) - Council for Higher Education

MEXICO (10/97 and 3/04) - Mexican Board for the Accreditation of Medical Education (COMAEM)

MONTSERRAT (10/97) -See ST. MAARTEN

NETHERLANDS(3/98) - Ministry of Education, Culture, and Science

PAKISTAN (3/97 and 3/03) - Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC)

PHILIPPINES (3/99 and 3/04) - Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU)

POLAND (10/97 and 9/03) - Ministry of Health/Accreditation Committee of Polish Universities of Medical Sciences (ACPUMS)

SABA (3/03) - Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine (ACCM)

ST. LUCIA (3/03) - Ministry of Health/Medical Accreditation, Approval, and Monitoring Committee
(Note: At the March 2004 meeting, the NCFMEA voted to limit St. Lucia's comparability determination to the accreditation of medical schools presently participating in the Federal Family Education Loan program, pending the request of additional information as outlined in the staff report. At the September 2004 meeting, the NCFMEA voted to extend the limitation on St. Lucia's comparability determination, pending the receipt of additional information for review at the Spring 2005 meeting.)

ST. MAARTEN (3/98 and 3/04) - Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine (ACCM)
(Note: Because of volcanic activity on Montserrat, the one medical school on Montserrat accredited by the Accreditation Commission is now located on St. Maarten.)

SWEDEN (9/00) - National Agency for Higher Education

TAIWAN (3/02) - Taiwan Medical Accreditation Council (TMAC)

THAILAND (10/98) - Ministry of University Affairs and the Thai Medical Council

UNITED KINGDOM (9/96 and 9/01) - General Medical Council

http://www.ed.gov/about/bdscomm/list/ncfmea.html

Egypt is not on this list above.

--------------------
Don't freak out, sonomod, Organized Crime, whatever. If I annoy you its me!

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
My dad worked for GM since he graduated...so he got promoted....and his Masters and PhD helped too....but when he first got hired on by GM...he was hired on by his Ain Shams Bsc degree and he was a Technical Consultant when he was first hired on way back then.....but after numerous years with them and a lot of experience...he became what he is now!

and for his co-workers...They all have either Masters from a Canadian University or PhD from a Canadian University....but THEY TOO DID HAVE AIN SHAMS DEGREE!!!!

To sum it up.....you can have an Ain Shams degree and get hired on to my dads current position! NO WAY!

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:

This is the law code for Florida (this is different for every state):

61G15-20.007 Foreign Degrees.

(1) Applicants having degrees from foreign institutions shall be required to document "substantial equivalency" to the 2002 ABET Accreditation Yearbook for Accreditation Cycle Ended Sept. 30, 2002 engineering criteria. This document is hereby incorporated by reference.

(2) In order to document "substantial equivalency" to an ABET accredited engineering program, the applicant must demonstrate:

(a) 32 college credit hours of higher mathematics and basic sciences. The hours of mathematics must be beyond algebra and trigonometry and must emphasize mathematical concepts and principles rather than computation. Courses in 20
probability and statistics, differential calculus, integral calculus, and differential equations are required. Additional courses may include linear algebra, numerical analysis, and advanced calculus. As for the hours in basic sciences,
courses in the general chemistry and calculus-based general physics are required, with at least a two semester (or equivalent) sequence of study in either area. Additional basic sciences courses may include life sciences (biology), earth sciences (geology), and advanced chemistry or physics. Computer skills and/or programming courses cannot be used to satisfy mathematics or basic science requirements.

(b) 16 college credit hours in humanities and social sciences. Examples of traditional courses in this area are philosophy, religion, history, literature, fine arts, sociology, psychology, political science, anthropology, economics, and no more than 6 credit hours of languages other than English or other than the applicant's native language. Courses in technology and human affairs, history of technology, professional ethics and social responsibility are also acceptable. Courses such as accounting, industrial management, finance, personnel administration, engineering economics and military training are not acceptable. Courses which instill cultural values are acceptable, while routine exercises of personal craft are not.

(c) 48 college credit hours of engineering science and engineering design. Courses in this area have their roots in mathematics and basic sciences but carry knowledge further toward creative application. Examples of traditional engineering science courses are mechanics, thermodynamics, electrical and electronic circuits, materials science, transport phenomena, and computer science (other than computer programming skills). Courses in engineering design stress the establishment of objectives and criteria, synthesis, analysis, construction, testing, and evaluation. In order to promote breadth, at least one engineering course outside the major disciplinary area is required.

(d) In addition, evidence of attainment of appropriate laboratory experience, competency in English, and understanding of the ethical, social, economic and safety considerations of engineering practice must be presented. As for competency in English, transcripts of course work completed, course content syllabi, testimonials from employers, college level advanced placement tests, Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores of at least 550 in the paper-based version, or 213 in the computer-based version, will be accepted as satisfactory evidence.

(3) The FBPE Educational Advisory Committee shall make the final decision regarding equivalency of programs and shall make recommendations to the Board as to whether an applicant shall be approved for admittance to the examination or for licensure by endorsement.

(4) The applicant must request an evaluation of substantial equivalency of his or her credentials to ABET standards through Engineering Credentials Evaluation International, 111 Market Place, #171, Baltimore, Maryland 21202; Foreign Credentials Service of America, 1910 Justin Lane, Austin, Texas 78757-2411; or Josef Silny & Associates, Inc., P.O. Box 248233, Coral Gables, Florida 33124.

(5) Any applicant whose only educational deficiency under paragraph (2) involves humanities and social sciences shall be entitled to receive conditional approval to take the Fundamentals examination. Such an applicant shall not become eligible for the Principles and Practice examination until satisfactory completion and documentation of the necessary hours in humanities and social sciences as provided in paragraph (2).
Specific Authority 471.003 FS.
Law Implemented 471.003 FS.
History--New 7-20-95, Amended 6-5-96, 4-16-98, Amended 1-17-99. Amended 7-28-99, 1-6-02, 6-13-02, 6-30-02, 10-2-03, 6-15-04, 3-13-05, 5-1-05.

http://www.fleng.org/images/files/Chapter61G15Jun182005.pdf#search='61G1520.007'

Page 20.

But you can avoid all of this by attaining a degree from an accredited USA university.

www.wes.org only translates, they do not garuntee that your degree will be recognized in the USA.

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Florida is in the US! I am in Canada....so it is totally different.....and in Canada....GM will only hire canadian graduates and if they hire foriegn degree...it is specific universities that they accept!
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
My dad worked for GM since he graduated...so he got promoted....and his Masters and PhD helped too....but when he first got hired on by GM...he was hired on by his Ain Shams Bsc degree and he was a Technical Consultant when he was first hired on way back then.....but after numerous years with them and a lot of experience...he became what he is now!

and for his co-workers...They all have either Masters from a Canadian University or PhD from a Canadian University....but THEY TOO DID HAVE AIN SHAMS DEGREE!!!!

To sum it up.....you can have an Ain Shams degree and get hired on to my dads current position! NO WAY!

Thats right you need to have a accredited degree from the region you live in.

Hence the point I was trying to make.

Possibly 20 years ago before post-secondary education in Egypt was degraded in the manner that it is today.

But since your father earned a degree from the west he was promotable.

Often times "employer sponsored visas" have the stipulation that the employee must earn an advanced degree while they are under this type of contract to be sponsored by their employer. Then they are released from the employer sponsored visa to become permenant residents and are free to work where they like.

Later become citizens.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Sonomod_me:

Her employer then vouched that she has the skils to take the board certification.

Completely different than just walking into the country on a work visa or a diversity visa, or a lottery visa and having to find her own connections.

Unless her employer vouched for her she wouldn't have been able to sit for the licensing exam.

Read my post again ya Sono. She got her license BEFORE she had any work experience in the US.

Getting a license to start your own practice is a whole different thing. Even American dentists should do what she did.. First have experience then start a practice.

You're jealous ya Sono.

Becasue many Egyptians can become better than Abu-Shoarma Ma7roo2a you're married to.

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
quote:

Read my post again ya Sono. She got her license BEFORE she had any work experience in the US.

Getting a license to start your own practice is a whole different thing. Even American dentists should do what she did.. First have experience then start a practice.

You're jealous ya Sono.

Becasue many Egyptians can become better than Abu-Shoarma Ma7roo2a you're married to.

Then she went to one of those medical colleges listed above and was allowed to take the exam to be licensed.

Why should I be jealous? My education and degree is recognized anywhere in the world.

I never said anything about her surpassing experience before starting her practice. She was an apprentice for a licensed Dentist and he vouched for her so she could sit for the state licensing exam, otherwise she couldn't be a free agent and work where she wanted to. She needed to be an apprentice.

Its a practice that many state licensure boards no longer allow for obvious reasons.

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
When my dad worked in Kuwait...also for GM! and the Gulf War started...When he came to Egypt....GM called him and told him to not apply to any job or anything and that his salary is still going...and He should rest and take it easy and after 4 month he should get ready to go to Saudi! and so we all did go to Saudi after 4 month...and that was way back then in 90-91! but back then he only had Ain Shams Engieering Degree!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder what they would have done if my dad had PhD then! lol
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
quote:

You're jealous ya Sono.

FOREIGN SCHOOL APPROVAL
In 1997, Assembly Bill 1116 was enacted to provide
for the evaluation and approval of those foreign dental
schools that provide dental education equivalent to that
of similar accredited institutions in the United States. In
2000, regulations were developed and implemented that
created the approval process. The fi rst school to receive
this approval is the Universidad de La Salle, located in
Guanajuato, Mexico. Their approval was granted on
December 27, 2004.
Students who graduate from de La Salle with the proper
credentials will be eligible to take the clinical exam.
They will not have to fulfi ll any other educational
requirements.

http://www.dbc.ca.gov/pdf/newsletters/newletter-april05_final.pdf

Chapter 2 - Article 4 - Graduates of Foreign Dental Schools

§1040. Application and Licensure Requirements.
(a) A graduate of a foreign dental school who desires to take the licensure examination shall apply on a form prescribed by the board. Such application shall be accompanied by the required fees, credentials and documentation specified by the board and should be filed with the board not less than 90 days prior to the examination date requested. Applications may be accepted by the board, in its discretion, up to 45 days prior to such examination date. Nothing contained herein shall be construed to limit the board's authority to seek from an applicant such other information pertinent to the background, education and experience of the applicant as may be deemed necessary in order to pass upon the applicant's qualifications.
(b) Credentials. The applicant shall furnish the following documentation satisfactory to the board: (1) A complete transcript of the academic and clinical dental school record of the applicant. Said transcript shall be accompanied by an affidavit showing to the satisfaction of the board that the applicant is the person named in each transcript he submits, that the transcript is a true recital of the full number of academic years of undergraduate courses required for graduation, that such courses of professional instruction in dentistry were accomplished in a resident course of instruction.
(2) A legible, true copy of the dental diploma or dental degree conferred upon the applicant as evidence of the completion of the courses of dental instruction required for graduation. Such document shall be accompanied by an affidavit showing to the satisfaction of the board that the applicant is the person named in such diploma or degree, that he is the lawful holder, and that it was procured in the regular resident course of instruction and examination without fraud or misrepresentation.
(3) The documentation required in paragraphs (1) and (2) hereof shall be authenticated by either the president, secretary, dean or registrar of the educational institution.
(4) Credentials and documentation required by this section which are submitted in a foreign language shall be accompanied by a certified original translation by a qualified translator.
(5) When, because of circumstances beyond his control, an applicant is unable to furnish any of the documents or authentication or certification required by this section, the board may in its discretion accept other documents which it deems satisfactory to establish the applicant's eligibility.
Note: Authority cited: Section 1614, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Section 1636, Business and Professions Code.

§1041. Examination Requirements.
(a) Written Examination. The written examination required by Section 1628.2 of the Code shall be that given by the National Board of Dental Examiners. An applicant shall submit to the board evidence of successful completion of said examination. Pursuant to section 1628.2 of the Code, a copy of the applicant's scores on this written examination must have been received at the board's principal office by July 12, 2004. An original of the applicant's scores must be received with the application to take the Restorative Technique examination requested.
(b) Restorative Techniques. Each foreign-trained examinee shall demonstrate his or her skill in restorative techniques in the presence of the board members or examiners appointed for that purpose. Each examinee shall complete to the satisfaction of the board all assigned restorations.
(1) Assignments. The applicant shall be given an assignment to complete in each of the following categories, as described below.
(A) Amalgam. Each applicant shall prepare and restore a Class II amalgam on a tooth and surface assigned at the time of examination.
(B) Cast Restorations. Each applicant shall prepare two artificial teeth from among those provided by the manufacturer of the typodont specified in subsection (b)(2), for single unit cast restorations, or as abutments for a fixed bridge. The preparation assignments for all teeth to be prepared will be given at the start of the examination and will be selected from the following: MOD onlay, 3/4 crown, 7/8 crown, full metal crown, full all-porcelain crown, or full porcelain-fused-to-metal crown.
(C) Composite. Each applicant shall prepare and/or restore one or more Class II, III, or IV composite restoration(s) on tooth or teeth and surface(s) assigned at the time of the examination, with the tooth or teeth mounted in a typodont specified in subsection (b)(2).
(2) Equipment. The applicant shall provide a crown and bridge typodont which shall be used for the examination in restorative techniques. The typodont shall be the D95SDP-200 Dental Study Model by Kilgore International, Inc. The typodont shall be suitable for mounting either on a dental chair with a headrest bar or on a simulator, whichever is provided by the dental school where the examination is administered. The mounting on a dental chair shall be a Columbia aluminum head, model number AH-1C-1 or its equivalent with removable soft rubber facings simulating the cheeks. Upper and lower members shall be sealed with plaster. The typodont shall be equilibrated in centric relation jaw position prior to the examination, with at least four points of centric occlusal stops on each side of the typodont. The candidate shall also provide addressed mailing materials, as is appropriate for the typodont, with postage prepaid, for the return of the typodont to the candidate after the examination.
(3) Time Period Allowed. The examination shall be a total of eight hours in length. This time period includes approval time for the typodont and equilibration time for disapproved typodonts.
(c) Further Examination. An examinee who successfully completes the restorative technique examination is eligible to take the remaining examinations required by Section 1636(c) of the Code. All rules applicable to such examinations and the grading thereof contained in Article 3 of this subchapter shall apply to examinees who are foreign dental school graduates.
(d) Passing Grades. A foreign dental school graduate shall be deemed to have passed the examination if he or she achieves a score of at least 75% on at least two of the three sections of the examination, and an overall score of at least 75% composite average for all three sections of the examination scored as a whole.
Note: Authority cited: Section 1614, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Section 1636, Business and Professions Code.

http://www.dbc.ca.gov/chapter-2-regulations-article-4.htm

Under the new law who is eligible to take the Restorative Technique examination?
All persons who have been issued a degree of doctor of dental medicine or doctor of
dental surgery by a foreign dental school not approved by the Board or accredited by a
body that has a reciprocal accreditation agreement with a commission or accreditation
organization, and passed the National Board of Dental Examinations Part I and Part II by
December 31, 2003

http://www.dbc.ca.gov/pdf/rt_faq_revised.pdf

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
When my dad worked in Kuwait...also for GM! and the Gulf War started...When he came to Egypt....GM called him and told him to not apply to any job or anything and that his salary is still going...and He should rest and take it easy and after 4 month he should get ready to go to Saudi! and so we all did go to Saudi after 4 month...and that was way back then in 90-91! but back then he only had Ain Shams Engieering Degree!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder what they would have done if my dad had PhD then! lol

Then he had an "employer sponsored visa".
Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Why are you so bothered if degrees are accepted outside or not....who cares....whoever needs to get his degree accepted is his thing....its not a big deal...and you make it seem it is!!!!

the west think of the east as 3rd world dumb countries...so obviously our education and degrees are crap! thats the main point!

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Who cares if he had an employer sponsered visa....the main point is that....not a lot of companies will accept you if you graduate from Egypt....

heck, in Canada....you cant put Egypt or Saudi or any of the gulf countries on your resume...because after 9-11 they wont hire anyone with expeirences/graduated from there....

This was told to me by my HR, my high school consullar, my university counsullar, everyone I meet just writes Canada or US!

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
and ofcourse GM got him the VISA! like how do you think we stayed in Kuwait...you need a residence VISA.....

and if you are talking about a Kafeel...then NO! my dad had no Kafeel! He was hired on by GM!

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
Why are you so bothered if degrees are accepted outside or not....who cares....whoever needs to get his degree accepted is his thing....its not a big deal...and you make it seem it is!!!!

the west think of the east as 3rd world dumb countries...so obviously our education and degrees are crap! thats the main point!

This is where it came from:

* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member Icon 1 posted 18 June, 2006 03:56 AM Profile for * 7ayat * Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote lol actually my degree is fully recognized in australia. i took that course to brush up my skills and see how i can break in the field again.

and no my husband can't afford the course. first you are accusing me of being rich and now you are making fun me because i don't have money. you always have something to judge.

all the women in my family are beautiful, much more than yours. and believe me i dont want a richer husband, i love my husband. unlike you money doesnt mean anything to me

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=010224;p=3

Sorry, but there are requirements and criteria to pass in order to be hired for certain positions, unless you have connections (and not too many immigrants do).

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Why should I be jealous? My education and degree is recognized anywhere in the world.

And still NO-ONE would want to employ you Sono [Big Grin]

And with your degree, my sister would never need you, while she can save your life a 100 times.

But then again.. Where is this degree you're bragging about all life?!!

Just get it first ya kotta.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
FOREIGN SCHOOL APPROVAL
December 27, 2004.
requirements.

(a) A graduate of a foreign dental school who desires to take the licensure examination shall apply on a form prescribed by the board. Such application shall be accompanied by the required fees, credentials and documentation specified by the board and should be filed with the board not less than 90 days prior to the examination date requested. Applications may be accepted by the board, in its discretion, up to 45 days prior to such examination date. Nothing contained herein shall be construed to limit the board's authority to seek from an applicant such other information pertinent to the background, education and experience of the applicant as may be deemed necessary in order to pass upon the applicant's qualifications.
(b) Credentials. The applicant shall furnish the following documentation satisfactory to the board: (1) A complete transcript of the academic and clinical dental school record of the applicant. Said transcript shall be accompanied by an affidavit showing to the satisfaction of the board that the applicant is the person named in each transcript he submits, that the transcript is a true recital of the full number of academic years of undergraduate courses required for graduation, that such courses of professional instruction in dentistry were accomplished in a resident course of instruction.
(2) A legible, true copy of the dental diploma or dental degree conferred upon the applicant as evidence of the completion of the courses of dental instruction required for graduation. Such document shall be accompanied by an affidavit showing to the satisfaction of the board that the applicant is the person named in such diploma or degree, that he is the lawful holder, and that it was procured in the regular resident course of instruction and examination without fraud or misrepresentation.
(3) The documentation required in paragraphs (1) and (2) hereof shall be authenticated by either the president, secretary, dean or registrar of the educational institution.
(4) Credentials and documentation required by this section which are submitted in a foreign language shall be accompanied by a certified original translation by a qualified translator.
(5) When, because of circumstances beyond his control, an applicant is unable to furnish any of the documents or authentication or certification required by this section, the board may in its discretion accept other documents which it deems satisfactory to establish the applicant's eligibility.

(a) Written Examination. The written examination required by Section 1628.2 of the Code shall be that given by the National Board of Dental Examiners. An applicant shall submit to the board evidence of successful completion of said examination. Pursuant to section 1628.2 of the Code, a copy of the applicant's scores on this written examination must have been received at the board's principal office by July 12, 2004. An original of the applicant's scores must be received with the application to take the Restorative Technique examination requested.
(b) Restorative Techniques. Each foreign-trained examinee shall demonstrate his or her skill in restorative techniques in the presence of the board members or examiners appointed for that purpose. Each examinee shall complete to the satisfaction of the board all assigned restorations.
(1) Assignments. The applicant shall be given an assignment to complete in each of the following categories, as described below.
(A) Amalgam. Each applicant shall prepare and restore a Class II amalgam on a tooth and surface assigned at the time of examination.
(B) Cast Restorations. Each applicant shall prepare two artificial teeth from among those provided by the manufacturer of the typodont specified in subsection (b)(2), for single unit cast restorations, or as abutments for a fixed bridge. The preparation assignments for all teeth to be prepared will be given at the start of the examination and will be selected from the following: MOD onlay, 3/4 crown, 7/8 crown, full metal crown, full all-porcelain crown, or full porcelain-fused-to-metal crown.
(C) Composite. Each applicant shall prepare and/or restore one or more Class II, III, or IV composite restoration(s) on tooth or teeth and surface(s) assigned at the time of the examination, with the tooth or teeth mounted in a typodont specified in subsection (b)(2).
(2) Equipment. The applicant shall provide a crown and bridge typodont which shall be used for the examination in restorative techniques. The typodont shall be the D95SDP-200 Dental Study Model by Kilgore International, Inc. The typodont shall be suitable for mounting either on a dental chair with a headrest bar or on a simulator, whichever is provided by the dental school where the examination is administered. The mounting on a dental chair shall be a Columbia aluminum head, model number AH-1C-1 or its equivalent with removable soft rubber facings simulating the cheeks. Upper and lower members shall be sealed with plaster. The typodont shall be equilibrated in centric relation jaw position prior to the examination, with at least four points of centric occlusal stops on each side of the typodont. The candidate shall also provide addressed mailing materials, as is appropriate for the typodont, with postage prepaid, for the return of the typodont to the candidate after the examination.
(3) Time Period Allowed. The examination shall be a total of eight hours in length. This time period includes approval time for the typodont and equilibration time for disapproved typodonts.
(c) Further Examination. An examinee who successfully completes the restorative technique examination is eligible to take the remaining examinations required by Section 1636(c) of the Code. All rules applicable to such examinations and the grading thereof contained in Article 3 of this subchapter shall apply to examinees who are foreign dental school graduates.
(d) Passing Grades. A foreign dental school graduate shall be deemed to have passed the examination if he or she achieves a score of at least 75% on at least two of the three sections of the examination, and an overall score of at least 75% composite average for all three sections of the examination scored as a whole.

Under the new law who is eligible to take the Restorative Technique examination?
All persons who have been issued a degree of doctor of dental medicine or doctor of
dental surgery by a foreign dental school not approved by the Board or accredited by a
body that has a reciprocal accreditation agreement with a commission or accreditation
organization, and passed the National Board of Dental Examinations Part I and Part II by
December 31, 2003

Thank you for proving my point [Razz]
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
quote:

And still NO-ONE would want to employ you Sono [Big Grin]

And with your degree, my sister would never need you, while she can save your life a 100 times.

But then again.. Where is this degree you're bragging about all life?!!

Just get it first ya kotta.

She's a dentist, unless you are refering to CPR (which anyone can learn and use) she has no specials skills to save me.

Anyhow, I have a degree with no stipulations or extensive obligations attached that no one can take away from me.

Yeah I'll be graduating this October/December. But thats closer to an unecumbered career than you'll ever have.

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
Believe me....You still need connections in Canada!!!!!!
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
quote:
FOREIGN SCHOOL APPROVAL
December 27, 2004.
requirements.

December 31, 2003

Thank you for proving my point [Razz]
Your sister would have to attend a university with a parallel circulumn to California universities, such as the "niversidad de La Salle, located in
Guanajuato, Mexico" or she'd have to be apprenticed in before these new laws took place.

Is her husband a dentist?

Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

What I am trying to illustrate here is you need to earn an advanced degree in the USA or attend a university that has been accredited by an accrediting agency of the USA.

Now many "el-doctoras" with medical degrees that aren't from an unversity in the USA or a university that is accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by a state board of medicine is often....

Clearly flat-out demoted. "el-doctoras" in her home country but a nobody in the west.

If you earned an advanced medical degree from universities in certain western European nations and this country paid for your education you are required to work within thier bureaucracy or their education institutions for a set period of time.

If you don't meet your obligation to repay your free education, you are no longer an 'el-doctora'...

You are now a nobody.

Hence the mental breakdown we see here on ES.

And I, as a person who waited 7 years in order to start her college education and this education cannot be taken away, I find this mental breakdown gratifying.

This December when I am handed my University Bachelorette Degree Diploma, I will taste victory over my past injustices.

Egyptian Mafia
Member # 10974

Rate Member
good 4 u
massenburg
Member # 10776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for massenburg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The likes of Goldman Sachs, McKinsey etc. hire mostly from the Ivy league schools.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massenburg
Member # 10776

There are already too many university degree holders in the US and Canada, kind of like in Egypt (exaggerating a bit), where the number of grads exceeds the number of available jobs. This supply and demand formula leads to both underemployment and unemployment among recent graduates. A similar phenomenon is starting to happen in Canada and the States. It's becoming more important to be admitted to a top university as a way of standing out from the rest of the pack.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
[QUOTE]She's a dentist, unless you are refering to CPR (which anyone can learn and use) she has no specials skills to save me.

Oh God that's the problem with idiots like you learning to perform CPR, they could kill those who had fainted with a perfectly fine heart function.

Oh yeah she can save you Sono. Your stinking breath is gone after one session with her.

Maybe that's exactly what you need to find yourself a proper man.

And do you have any idea how much our dental health can affect our body?

quote:
[QUOTE]
Anyhow, I have a degree with no stipulations or extensive obligations attached that no one can take away from me.

Yeah I'll be graduating this October/December. But thats closer to an unecumbered career than you'll ever have.

Eat your heart out Sono, because in your whole life and the life that follows you will not reach half what I've reached..

And my only obligations nowadays are to love and nourish my child.

Even this one obligation of yours you couldn't keep..

So shove your future degree where the sun won't shine. [Smile]

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
What I am trying to illustrate here is you need to earn an advanced degree in the USA or attend a university that has been accredited by an accrediting agency of the USA.

Now many "el-doctoras" with medical degrees that aren't from an unversity in the USA or a university that is accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by a state board of medicine is often....

Clearly flat-out demoted. "el-doctoras" in her home country but a nobody in the west.

If you earned an advanced medical degree from universities in certain western European nations and this country paid for your education you are required to work within thier bureaucracy or their education institutions for a set period of time.

If you don't meet your obligation to repay your free education, you are no longer an 'el-doctora'...

You are now a nobody.

And I, as a person who waited 7 years in order to start her college education and this education cannot be taken away, I find this mental breakdown gratifying.

This December when I am handed my University Bachelorette Degree Diploma, I will taste victory over my past injustices.

Guys, if you won't drink your milk, you will grow up to be like her. [Big Grin]

Eat your heart out Sono.

I am "el-Doctora" whether you like it or not.. And I just won myself the teacher-of-the-year prize..

You're not the superior white sow you think you are Sowno!

Tibe
Member # 10253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

You are now a nobody.

Guys, if you won't drink your milk, you will grow up to be like her. [Big Grin]

Eat your heart out Sono.

I am "el-Doctora" whether you like it or not.. And I just won myself the teacher-of-the-year prize..

You're not the superior white sow you think you are Sowno!

I like it like that - come on sono punch back - lets see what your jelly body is like [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1215 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Hey Sono I just remembered something. My hosbond has a PhD from one of the best German universities, and he still needed to sit the Board exams in the US in order to get his degree registered. He sat those exams for fun actually, since he'd rather fry in hell than work in the US [Cool]

So, our degrees are not that bad anyway, it's just your system.

Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

LOL.... and you do this in the 12 minutes of the day your not posting your acidic filth here... 500 posts in 4 days....

is that your baby crying....

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know that posts here are counted by someone else then admin [Roll Eyes] [Eek!] [Confused]
Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does that really confuse you?
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by karla:
I didn't know that posts here are counted by someone else then admin [Roll Eyes] [Eek!] [Confused]

She's nothing else to do but count my posts.

Leave her to bark alone in her dark alley.

Lipless big C!

Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
and my 'big c' is fully functioning and intact.

how does it feel knowing yours doesnt do the job god designed it to do... you were mutilated as a child and you had to have your child surgically removed.

i bet you have a deep voice and a hairy chest too, MyK.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charm El Feikh?:
quote:

LOL.... and you do this in the 12 minutes of the day your not posting your acidic filth here... 500 posts in 4 days....

is that your baby crying....

ROFL. Said the woman with 4 kids who has made how many posts in how short a space?!
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com