EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian Chickens and Roosters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Chickens and Roosters
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first cooked a chicken here in Egypt, I put it in the oven with spices and so forth and when my husband arrived from work we were ready to eat. Little did I know that the damn thing had cooked for about 1 hour and was so tough. He explained that it had to be boiled first. I said "BOILED" ...it is a broiled chicken in the oven, why would I need to boil it first? Anyways, come to find out he had brought me an Egyptian chicken and not an American chicken.
Can someone please shed some light as to why the Egyptian chickens MUST be boiled first before you cook it any other way????? Now I know why it takes Egyptian women all day to cook!

About the Roosters....I can't figure out why this one particular rooster insists to cock-a-doodle do all the time. He does it at sun up which is normal. He also does it at 3 am, 10 am, 1 pm, etc. All freaking day and night. Really annoying. I understand that they are territorial but the other roosters in the neighborhood don't sit on the damn balcony all day and night strutting their stuff...

Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snapdragon:
When I first cooked a chicken here in Egypt, I put it in the oven with spices and so forth and when my husband arrived from work we were ready to eat. Little did I know that the damn thing had cooked for about 1 hour and was so tough. He explained that it had to be boiled first. I said "BOILED" ...it is a broiled chicken in the oven, why would I need to boil it first? Anyways, come to find out he had brought me an Egyptian chicken and not an American chicken.
Can someone please shed some light as to why the Egyptian chickens MUST be boiled first before you cook it any other way????? Now I know why it takes Egyptian women all day to cook!

All Egyptian meat and poultry must be boiled first as far as I know, but I have never given into it. Try wrapping the chicken in foil and every so often pouring it's juice over it. Works for me [Smile]

One good thing for the boiling though is that you get a nice stock to make gravy or soup.

Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucas4brooke
Member # 11628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucas4brooke   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too many avoidable problems with you meat eaters.
Posts: 7 | From: sentanced in Cairo | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I buy my chicken meat from Carrefour every time. I buy the skinless boneless leg and breast in a tray. I usually marinade it in some lime juice, dijon mustard and some honey for about 30 mins. Then put on a tray at 200 in the oven. It turns out really juicy and tender. I tried the portions with skin and bones and they were tough?
My mother in law boils all meat but she says she does this just to remove the fat. Maybe the trays of skinless chicken come from better and not so old chickens?
But anyway try marinading it with a citrus juice or better still some papaya. Papaya is a great tenderiser. [Smile]

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds yummy! I will have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip.... [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by tootifrooti:
Hi I buy my chicken meat from Carrefour every time. I buy the skinless boneless leg and breast in a tray. I usually marinade it in some lime juice, dijon mustard and some honey for about 30 mins. Then put on a tray at 200 in the oven. It turns out really juicy and tender. I tried the portions with skin and bones and they were tough?
My mother in law boils all meat but she says she does this just to remove the fat. Maybe the trays of skinless chicken come from better and not so old chickens?
But anyway try marinading it with a citrus juice or better still some papaya. Papaya is a great tenderiser. [Smile]

Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I boiled a duck in watered down orange juice and terriaki sauce. It was fabulous.

I normally put a few cups of water into every roaster -filled with any type of meat. It just turns out better.

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ViVaLaDiVa
Member # 6818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ViVaLaDiVa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hv never boiled the chicken b4 i cooked it.i just marinade it thats all.and i hv never got any complaint.hrmm weird.
But i saw at my in laws making as u described and i found it very weird that they cook the chicken then make pane frm it..

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snapdragon:

About the Roosters....I can't figure out why this one particular rooster insists to cock-a-doodle do all the time. He does it at sun up which is normal. He also does it at 3 am, 10 am, 1 pm, etc. All freaking day and night. Really annoying. I understand that they are territorial but the other roosters in the neighborhood don't sit on the damn balcony all day and night strutting their stuff...

Hi Snapdragon, I don't know why the chickens are like that, but I know what you mean. Basically just cook the chicken the same way we would a Turkey in the US. IF it was frozen first, make sure it's completely thawed out and then cook covering it with aluminum foil or something else to hold in the juices, uncover to baste it from time to time, and cook on a lower heat and very slowly. The last half hour or so you can uncover and turn the heat up more to get a crispier effect on the skin. Anyway, that's how I do it, once I got used to the temperature conversion of celcius from farenheit. Good luck & happy eating. [Smile]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com