EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » the westernisation of egypt (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: the westernisation of egypt
katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katangah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demiana:
quote:
Originally posted by Jamsie Cottar:
Demiana and Ayisha

Do you think some christian girls wear the tight bun scarf thing? or would it only be moslem girls.

If the whole idea of hijab was to cover the shoulders etc and they dont use it as such, is it not hypocritical?
Please explain in a bit more detail as to it not being hypocritical. I'm not getting the logic here.
Thanks

I have never heard or seen an Egyptian christian woman wearing hijab or a scarf for that matter. It does make them stick out in the crowd though. I know western christian women wearing hijab (in Egypt) though. Don't know, some maybe on the road to revert or maybe just to match within the family and not raise all sorts of questions.

I believe someone is personally responsible for giving meaning to the wearing of hijab. I am not the one to push them in the stereotyped ideas some might have of it or make a guess and assumptions about the 'standard' meaning of hijab according to whatever believesystem. Girls will be girls. Even Madonna does wear a cross, does that make her hypocritical?

Actually christian women in rural traditional areas cover their hair.
Posts: 217 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by katangah:
quote:
quote:
Demiana and Ayisha

Do you think some christian girls wear the tight bun scarf thing? or would it only be moslem girls.

If the whole idea of hijab was to cover the shoulders etc and they dont use it as such, is it not hypocritical?
Please explain in a bit more detail as to it not being hypocritical. I'm not getting the logic here.
Thanks

I have never heard or seen an Egyptian christian woman wearing hijab or a scarf for that matter. It does make them stick out in the crowd though. I know western christian women wearing hijab (in Egypt) though. Don't know, some maybe on the road to revert or maybe just to match within the family and not raise all sorts of questions.

I believe someone is personally responsible for giving meaning to the wearing of hijab. I am not the one to push them in the stereotyped ideas some might have of it or make a guess and assumptions about the 'standard' meaning of hijab according to whatever believesystem. Girls will be girls. Even Madonna does wear a cross, does that make her hypocritical?

My christian mother covers her hair when going to mass (church).
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:
Jamsiecottar,
I guess the hijabwearing to some girls has more to do with fashion and identity then with chastity. To me that is not hypocritical, I don't take myself black and white, why should I take an Egyptian girl that way. Since I am religious some people believe I am against abortion, womenrights and whatever, just prejudice.

We hebben meer Demianas nodig in deze wereld wallahi!
Thanks MK, just opting to become a saint!:-)
Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katangah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
quote:
quote:
I am not talking about who is the bigger theives, I totally agree with you in regards the west. That is partly why I moved, just the same as Smuckers, it is just that I expected it to be so different. I was naive............I suppose, I expected moslems to at least try to appear to follow Islam. Yes there are the percentage who do, but it just seems that there are many more who do not.................
And Islam is not just about the 5 pillars.....................that seems to be the ones that are the easiest to adhere to, so maybe those are the most important?
Get to Mecca, pay tax, pray 5 times etc but dont worry about the little theiving that goes on, the cruelty, the selfishness............

Actually the more religious the figure the more suspicious you should be. Hate to say it but sadly true.
that is interesting, what do you mean exactly? [Smile]
and just out of curosity, which country are you living currently?
take care.

Canada. Many wear the religious fatigue to con others. In the eighties and early nineties for example there many sort of investments management companies that were supposed to be "Islamic" whatever the heck that means. They scammed people out of billions. They had backing from some big Azhar shekhs (Sha3rawi for one). Father lost lots of money there. I was too young then, but on my last visit a couple of months ago I asked him what exactly was the legal nature of these companies? He didn't know. All he knew was that everybody was dealing with them cause they were good pious muslim guys. He didn't even have a contract. Only a receipt. Sad really.

Just be careful.

Posts: 217 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Demiana and Ayisha

Thanks

Sure, I was expecting that. But it does look different, they are different types of scarfs. I am sure although traditional with some comparable reason. Besides some widows might wear a scarf for a year or longer. They are no part of the hijabisation of Egypt since the last decades.
Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
Actually if they're wearing the traditional black galabiah thing, then they usually cover their hair with some sort of scarf (usually black as well). You can't tell them apart from muslim women.
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Demiana and Ayisha

Thanks

My christian mother covers her hair when going to mass (church).
I do when I attend mass. My reason for it is to attend to churchregulations. When I go to work I have to comply to the dresscode also. But I know women will give you different reasons to do so. Some traditional, some religious/pious, some without a thought.
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
quote:
Actually if they're wearing the traditional black galabiah thing, then they usually cover their hair with some sort of scarf (usually black as well). You can't tell them apart from muslim women.

In the city you can by the type of their scarfs, long and embroidered or plain silk and the way they hang it loosely over their hair or just like the scarfs you would see in the west in the fifties. I am not sure about the countryside. They may have comparable ways to dress since it is more traditional than 'modern' hijablike.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[I have never heard or seen an Egyptian christian woman wearing hijab or a scarf for that matter.

In some classes and rural villages wearing a head cover is just a cultural thing, regardless of what one's affiliation is.

Here's a Coptic lady that a foreigner would think she's dressed as a Muslim.

But you can also see ladies of the upper class wearing headscarves during services, like the lady in the lower right corner in the picture.
.. Not that it covers anything really! [Cool]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I am not talking about who is the bigger theives, I totally agree with you in regards the west. That is partly why I moved, just the same as Smuckers, it is just that I expected it to be so different. I was naive............I suppose, I expected moslems to at least try to appear to follow Islam. Yes there are the percentage who do, but it just seems that there are many more who do not.................
And Islam is not just about the 5 pillars.....................that seems to be the ones that are the easiest to adhere to, so maybe those are the most important?
Get to Mecca, pay tax, pray 5 times etc but dont worry about the little theiving that goes on, the cruelty, the selfishness............

Actually the more religious the figure the more suspicious you should be. Hate to say it but sadly true.
that is interesting, what do you mean exactly? [Smile]
and just out of curosity, which country are you living currently?
take care.

Canada. Many wear the religious fatigue to con others. In the eighties and early nineties for example there many sort of investments management companies that were supposed to be "Islamic" whatever the heck that means. They scammed people out of billions. They had backing from some big Azhar shekhs (Sha3rawi for one). Father lost lots of money there. I was too young then, but on my last visit a couple of months ago I asked him what exactly was the legal nature of these companies? He didn't know. All he knew was that everybody was dealing with them cause they were good pious muslim guys. He didn't even have a contract. Only a receipt. Sad really.

Just be careful.

ohhh I HATE thieves, no matter the nationality, religion, race, etc. [Mad]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Here's a Coptic lady that a foreigner would think she's dressed as a Muslim.

She could have fooled me!:-)

FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] some of my family are catholic and very traditional from irish italian and they cover from top to bottom head scarf all the time and always n frggen black ,this is my mothers side ....and u cud mistaken them for turkish ..
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
. Girls will be girls. Even Madonna does wear a cross, does that make her hypocritical? [/qb][/QUOTE]Absolutely it does, all the way to her writing children's books. but I don't expect more from her either. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I do admire her for the strong and genuine way she is carying herself and juggling with images and taboos and is succesfull with it. I would only call someone hypocritical if they don't live up to their own sanctoreligious or other selfproclaimed standards. That is what makes religious and other ideological correct people overall so obnoxious sometimes. They pretend to have high standards and fool you with them.

tootifrooti
Member # 9824

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootifrooti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is the hijab more a cultural thing , than a religious thing If moslems cannot agree on the interpretation of the quran ?

Would you say that most young women in egypt for instance wear hijab, not for what the quran says, but for what their families would. And if so will we eventually see a decline in the hijab with it phasing out altogether?

http://www.immi.se/intercultural/nr11/roberts.htm

Posts: 1500 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Culture is a toolkit. Although I believe that fundamentalism will back down eventually it does not mean that women will denounce the fashion or identitypart of their clothing of choice. Or the religiouspart of it. It all will depend on the meaning that is transmitted with it, the image they want to make to the larger society and the rolemodels they will have or which way they look for ideas.
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlyingTrucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
personaly id love to see all womenwearing headscarf to what designs they like me personaly im ona rebellion streak at the moment im not wearing it probably cause of the **** me getting andi shudnt take it out on the faith i have but its messing with my mind all together sometimes i wish me was a nudest freak ,make me life a whole lot better...
Posts: 4597 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
And it is in the reward or the quality of communication they get when wearing it.
katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88Jj40JMT8&mode=related&search=
Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ya Ragal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am happy, comfortable and proud to wear hijab, people's ignorance and negative does get to you, I've had lots of negativity in the uk and it is hard but you cope.
Posts: 377 | From: أنا نسيت | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I agree Ya Ragal, to choose to wear it is a personal choice, along with HOW to wear it as well.
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
shaw i agree but to wear the hijab your mouth has to be in tone as well ,
seabreeze
Member # 10289

yes but we can't say that or make that choice for others really. we are all responsible for our own actions and words...we will all be judged in some form.
FlyingTrucks
Member # 11270

Rate Member
my words exactly u said it for me ta very much chukkk,
Ya Ragal
Member # 11695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ya Ragal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
exactly, so how people wear it, really isn't our concern, it's other things that go along with wearing hijab, and we are all responsible for our own actions, we have to look to ourselves before we judge others
Posts: 377 | From: أنا نسيت | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paint Me As I Am
Member # 7796

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paint Me As I Am   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I really do love Egypt and the people (generally). I chose this as my home, chose to live here with my Egyptian husband and raise our children together in this soceity and culture. But that doesn't mean I have to close my eyes and turn my head like many people here do, I don't do the same in America my own country! Why would I possibly start now?? [Confused]

Same here Smucks- Love Egypt and the People--Am so missing it [Frown]
Soon ISA--- I will return back 4good.. [Wink]

Posts: 2068 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katangah
Member # 11586

Member Rated:
quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J88Jj40JMT8&mode=related&search=

For the record, I thought it was funny. If anyone found it insulting, then please accept my apology.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

You're kind Katangah, everyone is entitled to be themselves on ES, we love you [Wink]

Paint me, yes, inshallah you will come back soon!! Remember we have your room waiting !! [Smile]

Paint Me As I Am
Member # 7796

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paint Me As I Am   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Paint me, yes, inshallah you will come back soon!! Remember we have your room waiting !! [Smile] [/QB]

Ur so sweet Bella [Smile]
XOXOX

ISA--soon

Posts: 2068 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Happy to see you back Paint me, too bad there aren't kinder people like you in ES, hope the family is well [Wink]
[Smile]

Paint Me As I Am
Member # 7796

Member Rated:
quote:
Happy to see you back Paint me, too bad there aren't kinder people like you in ES, hope the family is well [Wink]
[Smile]

Thx Hun, Alhamdulillah we are all fine..
Hope ur family is tamam as well.

Take care Bella [Razz]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com