EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Sending Packages (gifts etc) to Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sending Packages (gifts etc) to Egypt
schoolbound
Member # 11876

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for schoolbound     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone, I hope someone can enlighten me on this dilemma...I wish to send some packages to my spouse in Egypt consisting of things such as clothes, body care products, packaged snacks etc and some small household supplies such as dish towels, kitchen utensils and so forth...my spouse mentioned that when somebody receives a parcel in Egypt they must pay hefty taxes or customs to receive the package..this is what he has heard anyways.
Can anyone please inform me about this subject?
I was also wondering because I would liek to start sending boxes by surface mail (insured) to him in Egypt so that I can have it there for when I arrive.
Anyone who has experience in these matters please give as much details as you can...much thanks to all.
[Smile]

Posts: 29 | From: florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cinematic
Member # 11514

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cinematic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, have you tried Aramex or DHL?

http://www.aramex.com/
http://www.dhl.com/splash.html

western Union for money transfer, but dont think they send stuff

http://www.westernunion.com/info/homePage.asp?country=AF&origination=global

Let me know how it goes

Posts: 484 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by schoolbound:
Hi everyone, I hope someone can enlighten me on this dilemma...I wish to send some packages to my spouse in Egypt consisting of things such as clothes, body care products, packaged snacks etc and some small household supplies such as dish towels, kitchen utensils and so forth...my spouse mentioned that when somebody receives a parcel in Egypt they must pay hefty taxes or customs to receive the package..this is what he has heard anyways.
Can anyone please inform me about this subject?
I was also wondering because I would liek to start sending boxes by surface mail (insured) to him in Egypt so that I can have it there for when I arrive.
Anyone who has experience in these matters please give as much details as you can...much thanks to all.
[Smile]

Give it a couple of hours and some freak of ES will jump in and tell you in boring details about her eternal saga on why this is not a good idea.

And we warned the dumbass ourselves [Roll Eyes] .

Only take stuff in your luggage or send it with people you know who are travelling to Egypt.

Otherwise you will end up paying fortunes.. Either for shipping, or for taxes, or even bribes.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The charity I contribute to (Plan International) won't allow us to send gifts of clothing to our sponsored child because of the large customs fees in Egypt on imported clothing. But that's all I've heard about.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what happens on the Egypt side of things but I just shelled out $50 to send 1 letter, a Boston Red Sox pen and a picture to Cairo.

I won't be making this a habit that's for sure!

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did it cost you $50? [Confused] I thought customs were paid in Egypt on the receiving end...
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea. I went to Fed Ex, gave them the package, had to fill out two slips, one just for the package itself and one to describe the pen. lol. Then they said you can either have it get there Sunday or Tuesday, and Sunday is actually cheaper. (this was on Monday). Then they asked me for the $50 (it was in the high 40's but I can't remember the exact amount.)

Did I get ripped off?

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only take stuff over to Egypt in my luggage..like MK suggested. Why would anyone pay more to ship something than that something is worth in the first place?
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by doodlebut:
I have no idea. I went to Fed Ex, gave them the package, had to fill out two slips, one just for the package itself and one to describe the pen. lol. Then they said you can either have it get there Sunday or Tuesday, and Sunday is actually cheaper. (this was on Monday). Then they asked me for the $50 (it was in the high 40's but I can't remember the exact amount.)

Did I get ripped off?

Oh, I don't know for sure. I've never sent anything but cards to Egypt.

But I guess if it's FedEx, it would be pretty expensive. I was thinking regular U.S. Post Office postage....so I don't think you got ripped off.

doodlebug
Member # 11649

I just got a quote online and it was a little over $44 to be exact.

Yeah I had no idea I could just put a regular stamp on it!! That would have been a lot easier. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Did I get ripped off?

I knew you would say FedEx or DHL. They are thieves!

But hey.. Excellent service or not? [Wink]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You didn't get ripped off...Fedex is expensive. My husband paid 325LE (about $60) to send me a few photos and some documents through DHL. That's highway robbery to an Egyptian. That was nearly half his monthly salary for cripe's sake.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

I'll soon find out. lol.

Just did a quote using US Postal Service airmail with registered delivery and that would have been $15, so I guess I will go with that for now on. It's not that much more than doing the cheapest way which will take about a month rather than the 4 to 7 days that they quote.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Madame M.:
Why would anyone pay more to ship something than that something is worth in the first place?

Always wondered the same thing.

I guess some people are too emotionally attached to their belongings.

I'm shipping the Manolos to my grave. [Big Grin]

(please God the most merciful don't let this thread become a shoe thread!!)

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

The problem with USPS is that you have a higher chance of things getting lost or not getting there for several weeks. It's really not worth while to send gifts through the mail. You're going to Egypt in a few months..bring the gifts with you. Hey what are you doing sending a man gifts anyways?..he should be sending them to you [Wink]
schoolbound
Member # 11876

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for schoolbound     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i plan to ship by regular postal surface mail with insurance just some kitchen items etc...i called the consulate who directed me to another agency who called me back and said that if im sending used personal goods he wont have to pay to receive it. any comments?
Posts: 29 | From: florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
The problem with USPS is that you have a higher chance of things getting lost or not getting there for several weeks. It's really not worth while to send gifts through the mail. You're going to Egypt in a few months..bring the gifts with you.

I totally agree

quote:
Hey what are you doing sending a man gifts anyways?..he should be sending them to you [Wink]
Moahahahah.. MM please start a thread about this one..

Totally agree again. [Big Grin]

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
i plan to ship by regular postal surface mail with insurance just some kitchen items etc...i called the consulate who directed me to another agency who called me back and said that if im sending used personal goods he wont have to pay to receive it. any comments?

Yes he will have to pay. But the money won't go to where it should. [Roll Eyes]
doodlebug
Member # 11649

He did send me something. I just haven't got it yet. [Smile]

He really really wanted a "zippo" lighter because they dont have them there...they have mostly Bic, and it's hard to light up a cigarette when it's windy with a Bic,

I searched high and low for a zippo but could only find Bic here too and he said never mind I just want a souveneir so I figured a red sox pen would be good since he likes different pens. [Smile]

Anyway I won't be doing that again. lol. Thought it would cost $10!!!!!

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I'm of a firm belief that men should do way more for women than we do for them as far as gifts and financial responsibility is concerned. I get extremely frustrated with women who send men money and gifts. I want to yell...What are you doing?!!!! Are you desperate???? I'm not talking about token gifts I'm talking about the women who send their "bfs" fancy cell phones and what not. Can you say..sugarmama? My husband is not rich by any means. Both times I've been to Egypt he's saved his money to use for my expenses and gifts. How I love Egyptian gold [Smile] That's not to say I would never give him a gift or spend my money on the household but it's mostly his responsibility.

quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:

quote:
Hey what are you doing sending a man gifts anyways?..he should be sending them to you [Wink]
Moahahahah.. MM please start a thread about this one..

Totally agree again. [Big Grin] [/QB]

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Can you say..sugarmama?

No you better say MILFHUNTERS! [Big Grin]
schoolbound
Member # 11876

Rate Member
he is not a milfhunter he is my husband and the father of my children...i am sending him a gift...and also my own personal stuff for when i return back to egypt to live with him for the next year.
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I was referring to those with the "bf's" not husbands. It's perfectly normal to send your husband a gift. Just not too extravagant! [Big Grin] Just kiddin'
schoolbound
Member # 11876

Rate Member
oh ok...yes, women can be suckers for poor egyptian men ... its a shame really but it happens everywhere.
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Oh well my bad. lol. I have offered to send TONS of things and he gets sooooooooooo mad when I do this and adamantly says NO. lol
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
he is not a milfhunter he is my husband and the father of my children...i am sending him a gift...and also my own personal stuff for when i return back to egypt to live with him for the next year.

Oh God I didn't mean you/your husband at all.

We're just a bunch of gigolo haters in here. [Wink]

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

LOL..she-woman gigolo haters club [Smile]
schoolbound
Member # 11876

Rate Member
no biggie...no harm done
schoolbound
Member # 11876

Rate Member
can someone plz tell me where i can find an online photo gallery of furniture sets for every room ? i mean one with thousands of photos of just bedroom dining room living rooms etc?
especially egyptian style furniture? but not gold leafing kind.kwim.

TMK
Member # 7180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TMK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I receive packages from the states via regular post. Have to admit it is hit and miss. Sometimes they arrive after one week, 3 months, or not at all. All packages go through Egyptian customs, everything is opened and inspected. The tax has come down a lot. I have noticed that smaller packages without any clothing items arrive much faster. I wouldn't send anything of value.
Posts: 40 | From: cairo | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gentle_giant
Member # 10863

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gentle_giant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I receive a few packages now and then, mostly with no problems. The most I've had to pay was 60LE, but usually it's more like 20. Sometimes I have to go and pick them up, and sometimes they come to the door. Always inspected completely and ruthlessly.

I wouldn't try posting a box of stuff, and couriers generally don't handle household/personal items. An unaccompanied bag shipment is an option, but will a few hundred dollars to send, and your hubby will need someone to help him clear it (not much fun either). He'll also have to pay about 200LE per $500 worth of declared value.

--------------------
Happiness is a choice!

Posts: 177 | From: London | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

I"m a she-woman gigalo because I sent the guy a freakin' pen?
gentle_giant
Member # 10863

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gentle_giant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a lot of places that sell zippos here BTW.

--------------------
Happiness is a choice!

Posts: 177 | From: London | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

like where? maybe he's not looking in the right place in cairo. I know I went to a ton of stores here and couldn't even find one.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:

[Confused]

We weren't talking about you Dool!

gentle_giant
Member # 10863

Member Rated:
In city stars, the Virgin Megastore, Bakier Stationary in Maadi, possibly Alfa market in Maadi, the smoke shop in El Sarag mall 2, and a few others I can't think of now. Sure, 2 years ago they weren't here, but now there's quite a following.

--------------------
Happiness is a choice!

LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm of a firm belief that men should do way more for women than we do for them as far as gifts and financial responsibility is concerned.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

-Being a man
Or
-Deciding to marry

Which of the above made us -men- deserve the above quoted punishment?

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:

[Confused]

We weren't talking about you Dool!

[Big Grin]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get sent greeting cards with photographs all the time. Its only 2LE at most 10LE to send a greeting card with 6 photographs.

I have sent envelops to Egypt with documents and other things for less than $10 via USPS and no problem.

We sent our passports over uninsured and everything got there in less than a week. On the way back to us via Egyptian postal then on to USPS we did get a call from customs verifying we were expecting our passports. They called King Kong and basically the guy sounded like he had just averted a heart attack (US customs). But US customs were very nice about it.

Regular postal is no problem, we have used DHL and they f*d everything up.

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's "usps"?

what's "f*d"??

sorry I dont know some english

"There's a lot of places that sell zippos here BTW."
what does "Zippos" mean?

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USPS United States Postal Service

f*d = Focked up

Zippos, well then I know you are faking it. 97% of Egyptian men smoke and they all know the gold standard of lighters, the zippo.

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gentle_giant
Member # 10863

Member Rated:
Now also in 'big boys toys' in the carrefour centre.

--------------------
Happiness is a choice!

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Egyptian_batman:
what does "Zippos" mean?

Zippo! [Roll Eyes]
doodlebug
Member # 11649

well so much for fed ex. It was supposed to be in Cairo by Sunday at the latest. They said that they tried delivery on Saturday but no one was home. He said they were home all day and I even double checked the addy to make sure I didn't goof.

Now I find that it went back to the US to some place in Georgia and just got sent back to Cairo again as of today.

What sense does that make????? they send it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way back here to be resent aaaaaaaaaall the way there again? lol. From now on I'll go to my regular post office 'cause this is giving me a headache!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com