EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » AUC degree in Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AUC degree in Egypt
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need some advice. Can somebody please tell me if an degree from AUC is a good investment practically speaking? That is if I want to find a good job in Egypt after graduation. Is it worth it?
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please clarify your question

You are graduating from AUC & you want to get a job in Egypt? what's the problem? AUCians always stand better chances on multinationals.

--------------------
Femme Fatale

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, a degree from AUC is a good investment. Many companies actively seek out AUC graduates. It is the best university in Egypt for the subjects it offers.
Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok thanks - I am considering applying for graduate school there, but I wasn't sure if it was a truly good university. I suppose it is very prestigious in Egypt - the question remains about its validity internationally.
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:
Ok thanks - I am considering applying for graduate school there, but I wasn't sure if it was a truly good university. I suppose it is very prestigious in Egypt - the question remains about its validity internationally.

I know alot of AUCians who got good jobs abroad...... still I am not sure about its validity abroad but i guess if you take a look at their website, they might be including something like that or you can call them up or pay them a vist & ask, it'd never hurt to ask. http://www.aucegypt.edu/

AUCians have a good reputation in the job market, atleast in Egypt & btw, many foreign students come from abroad to study for one year or something like that (as exchange students I guess)...... an American intern who was a friend of mine years ago came to study in Egypt at AUC for a year for his post grad degrees & then went back to the US.

better go there & check

Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katanga we bass
Member # 12233

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katanga we bass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:

It's sh1t. Don't bother. You would be better off applying for Al-Azhar university. Seriously. Students know nothing but doing drugs and each other. They're practically illiterate. Just another fancy shmansy piece of sh1t that some focking moronisitc Egyptians like to spend there easy-earned cash on. Save your money. Their rep is not good as well. If you check its ranking worldwide, you won't even find it listed.
Posts: 743 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
auc is the best university in Egypt .katanga auc is a very respectable university .

Anthropos if u need anything abt auc pvt me and good luck ,its an excellent investment and educational system

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, depends what you want to study. If you are a business major and you want to find a job in a multinational company in Egypt, thats probably good.

However, if you are a social science major, as your nickname indicates, forget about it.

I am French-Canadian, I completed a BA in anthropology in Canada in 2004, and did a MA in refugee studies at AUC in 04-05.

AUC is indeed the best university in Egypt in many aspects but by international standards, its crap. I mean, do not think that because it is a private American institution that it holds up to international standards. It does not, not even close. The quality of education is very low, the library, although the biggest english language library in Egypt, is outdated and empty. Egyptians students have gone to crappy schools their entire lives and their levels of knowledge demonstrate that when they reach grad school. Moreover, student services are scarce and the bureaucray is a mess.

Even if there is "American" in the name of the school, it is still an Egyptian school ran by Egyptians. and its cultural organisation is Egyptian-like.

I am very disappointed with my experience at AUC. It was not worth 13 000$. At all.

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GUC is also supposed to be good. [Cool]

www.guc.edu.eg/

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only put in my two cents with regards to the applied sciences or other science majors...It's not that great in or outside of Egypt for that matter. Egyptian Universities have, depending on the major, some great programs (minus the same issues that exist pretty much throughout Egypt). But I believe, and I must stress that I don't know enough (perhaps that's where Annie81 may be of help) for the liberal arts--it may not be a bad option.

--------------------
Disclaimer: My posts are not meant to personally offend anyone. If you find yourself reading my posts repeatedly, you are kindly asked to seek the help of a professional [Smile]

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com