EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian woman tortured by police?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian woman tortured by police?
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt orders probe into new torture video
AFP

January 8, 2007

CAIRO -- The Egyptian interior minister ordered security services to discover the identity of a female suspect apparently being tortured by police in a video publicized by the press, a security source said Monday.

A still frame from a video published on the front pages of the independent dailies Al Masri Al Youm and Al Fajr Sunday reportedly showed a screaming woman, tied to a bar hung between two chairs, being interrogated.

The short video, available on the Internet and showing a young woman painfully confessing to murder, was described as a police interrogation.

The order for an investigation comes hard on the heels of the detention of two policemen December 27 on charges of sexually assaulting a minibus driver after another graphic video was posted on the Web.

Human rights activists both inside and outside Egypt have repeatedly alleged that police use torture and abuse as a routine tool during questioning - a charge that the interior ministry denies.

In recent months, however, grainy amateur videos often taken using mobile phones have appeared purporting to show examples of police brutality.

http://www.metimes.com/storyview.php?StoryID=20070108-071836-4845r

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Probe"

That doesn't sound very comforting.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it all is pretty disturbing, makes me feel quite comforted to be a female in egypt [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
germanjulia
Member # 8781

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for germanjulia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello everyone,

this indeed sounds very bad.

i was quite shocked by the police when i came to egypt... i mean it was a culture shock anyway, but i thought that at least the police treat women right and don't harrass them etc. i thought so until we (my father and i) we standing on a street corner in hurghada, waiting for a taxi, and some police officer asked my father whether i was his daughter and why i wasn't wearing a ring on my finger. [Eek!] [Mad] [Roll Eyes]

of course this wasn't as bad as the things described in that article, but i guess it shows that even the police hold that *certain* god damn mentality.

Posts: 457 | From: Any Questions? | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience, the police are extremely helpful, in general, if you are a tourist . Yeah, they sometimes ask some for baksheesh but there is a real sense that they are there to help.

It's a very different story, if you are an ordinary Egyptian. Corruption is rife. Police ask for money from small businesses, taxi drivers, the list is endless. I've seen it. Justice is not even expected to be served. [Frown]

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Egyptian1
Member # 9809

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egyptian1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any person agree about Topless Sunbathing for women and girls in Egypt?
Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egyptian1:
Is there any person agree about Topless Sunbathing for women and girls in Egypt?

Oh, God, he's back! [Eek!]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Oh my God!!! Ur back!!! for those of you who don't know the previous user name "Egytpians" all he ever was interested in is "Do we agree it is ok for women and girls to sunbathe topless" [Confused] Oh. But he use to put the question a different way.
Somebody that remembers help me out here!!!
It was hilarious the way he use to ask that question!!!

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tream Lefty:
quote:

Oh, God, he's back! [Eek!]
I wonder if they can make a law requiring men to cover their torsos on the beach. Lots of bear looking sun bathers, just as bad to see as the bare chested sun bathers on the Red Sea Resort Areas.

I've seen pictures from the French riveria and the nude bathers are not nice to look at, the better looking specimens have a tendancy to actually wear bathing suits and bikinis. But they have more money and more time at the gym and plastic surgery clinics. The tourists at the Red Sea Resort area are not as affluent, nor health conscious. The sight has to be appalling.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I'd like to know what Suzanne Mubarak thinks of torturing women by police. She is always proposing and starting these "cosmetic" programs for women and children, but on a topic such as this I doubt she would comment.

And on a second thought possibly its a good thing that Jihan Sadat is in the USA. Her comments would be quite flippant and fluid, wouldn't be the best PR for the NDP.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by foreignluvr:
quote:

Oh my God!!! Ur back!!! for those of you who don't know the previous user name "Egytpians" all he ever was interested in is "Do we agree it is ok for women and girls to sunbathe topless" [Confused] Oh. But he use to put the question a different way.
Somebody that remembers help me out here!!!
It was hilarious the way he use to ask that question!!!

ahhh yes I do remember him lol [Big Grin]
well, he's doing his own little part in trying to bring freedoms to egyptians in his own little way (sarcastic) [Razz]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com