EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » need shipping advice, moving to Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need shipping advice, moving to Egypt
So This Is It
Member # 12893

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for So This Is It     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to be living in Egypt with my husband for many months, starting in May. Can anyone give me suggestions about the cheapest way to ship some of my belongings? I'll not bother shipping things I can easily replace, but my reference books, clothes, etc, I want to bring with me. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Posts: 20 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by So This Is It:
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Don't ship a thing. Thank you.
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Âutomatic For The People
Member # 12634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Âutomatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where does the shipping process go wrong?
There are thousands of company (probably more) that import products to sell in Egypt. That involves shipping and receiving.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Âutomatic For The People:
Where does the shipping process go wrong?

Excellent question.

At the delivery points and at the customs.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Âutomatic For The People
Member # 12634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Âutomatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what do importers do to get their products in?
Posts: 465 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:

Eeh ya Auto el-bara2ah di?

"Rishwah?"

- Mahmoud Yassin

NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotSleeplessInCairo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
quote:

"Rishwah?"

- Mahmoud Yassin

LOL, I was thinking the very same thing! [Big Grin] We must stop meeting like this [Razz]
Posts: 815 | From: London and the other | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homing pigeon
Member # 8039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for homing pigeon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not really all that bad.I've shipped stuff before. The cheapest is sea freight but if you really want to sit back and clear your head of worries, you can do door to door by airfreight. You can get a reasonable quote for about 100 kilos. If it's just books, that should be the easiest option. It depends on the value of the books though and whether they are replaceable in egypt or not. A heretfordshire based freight forwarding company quoted me about 350 pounds in English money to forward 100 kilos door to door from Hertford to Alexandria. It can be about 100 pounds cheaper if they send it just to the airport for me to pick up. There are people you could hire to do the job for you there called mokhaleseen.

--------------------
Noha

Posts: 670 | From: alex living in leeds, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's more expensive from the USA. What about boxing it up and paying for it as extra baggage on the airplane?
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs Tibe
Member # 12653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find the nearst Kuehe & Nagel and ask them to container ship it as partload. They are cheap and reliable.
Posts: 528 | From: Denmark | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homing pigeon
Member # 8039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for homing pigeon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FairyDust:
It's more expensive from the USA. What about boxing it up and paying for it as extra baggage on the airplane?

I thought about that, too but it turned out a lot more expensive
Posts: 670 | From: alex living in leeds, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by NotSleeplessInCairo:
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
quote:

"Rishwah?"

- Mahmoud Yassin

LOL, I was thinking the very same thing! [Big Grin] We must stop meeting like this [Razz]
I am fascinated by your intelligence! I don't know how long you lived in Egypt, but that fact that you understood what I wrote is simply brilliant.

You, Newcomer (hope she's well) and Dalia and other foreigners who lived in Egypt for a short while, and still managed to know so much about our culture and religion deserve a standing ovation.

The other day I thought of you ladies while watching an interview with the German ambassador in Cairo, and he was speaking fluent Arabic with a Lebanese accent (his wife is Lebanese). He said his favorite thing in Egypt is Koshari [Cool]

annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont ship anything. Pay for extra luggage and get your friend/family to bring you a box when they come to visit.
Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian999
Member # 13087

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian999   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just come with your shipship
Posts: 384 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com