EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » The most common items overlooked when moving to Egypt (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The most common items overlooked when moving to Egypt
iloveEgypt
Member # 13258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iloveEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So just making a list of things I HAVE to take w/me. Anything you noticed that you forgot about when moving to Egypt that I should consider?
Posts: 48 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iloveEgypt
Member # 13258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iloveEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you get sundried tomatos in Egypt? And is Tide way overpiced? I noticed last time I washed my clothes there, my jeans lost all its colour. Is it the water or the detergent?

hehe sorry for the stupid question!

Posts: 48 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark2006
Member # 11594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark2006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bring your Caffettiera with you , if you like this kind of coffee , you will find the electric one but this Caffettiera , rarely found in egypt
Posts: 248 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Caffettiera
What's this? ^^
Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was cafeteria then I thought it was criteria....I don't know either Shebah [Confused]
I think it is possibly a Bushism ?

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NourHayati
Member # 5507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NourHayati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark2006:
Bring your Caffettiera with you

I think he means "coffee machine"
Posts: 327 | From: balad alnour | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bring a moka pot [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iloveEgypt:
Can you get sundried tomatos in Egypt? And is Tide way overpiced? I noticed last time I washed my clothes there, my jeans lost all its colour. Is it the water or the detergent?

Yes you can find sun-dried tomatoes in Egypt in the big supermarkets, but it doesn't taste the same as the brand you would prefer.

And washing powder sucks in Egypt, but are you going to carry that with you?!!!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So just making a list of things I HAVE to take w/me. Anything you noticed that you forgot about when moving to Egypt that I should consider?

A duvet, electric blanket/heating pad, and thermal underwear...people always assume that winters will be mild here; they are outside (in comparison to Canada) but inside they are not!
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ohhh good ideas newcomer, I brought a heating pad for those tummy upset days but the next time I go to the states for a visit I'm coming back with a couple of electric blankets for sure. [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Material things aside, the most important thing to bring and keep with you always, is a large dose of patience and a sense of humor. [Wink]
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura - you're back!!!!

missed you!!

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iloveEgypt
Member # 13258

Rate Member
Hehe...yea my mom lived in Egypt for 10 years!! She said that she reaaaally learned how to be patient!

So what's a moka pot? And yes...I was thinking of carrying detergent w/me lol (I know i'm crazy)But I'm thinking of packing a huge box of necessary items (like nutella!!!!) to take with me and I would just pay extra on my flight over to Egypt for it.

Blankets...good idea!

Oh! If I bring a coffee maker w/me...wouldnt' there be a problem with the voltage conversion? I'd be coming from Canada.

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dawn! Been very busy with fun things and moving soon.

ILE, forget the nutella, it available everywhere here, and so are coffee makers. Don't burden yourself down with all these things. Have a little fun shopping around and "learning how to shop" while you are here [Smile]

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He means a french press. It's the glass thing, you put coffee in bottom, fill it with boiled water, and then "press" down the filter.

They have them in the big supermarkets but are much more expensive. If you're a big coffee drinker, I'd suggest bringing coffee beans. Their idea of filtered "american" coffee is instants. They even call it "nescafe" instead of filtered coffee. :-)

Bring your favorite brand of cosmetics (there are few choices in Egypt and since they're all imported, much more expensive); ditto for lotions (esp if you're particular, don't want scented ones, etc.) if you dye your hair, bring a supply (or at least enough so you can bring to the local salon with you);

One thing I had the hardest time with in Egypt was - where to buy sewing supplies. LOL. Everyone kept telling me to ask my tailor or just get the bawab's wife to mend whatever needed mending. I did eventually randomly come across a traveling kit type of thing in the Metro supermarket by sheer chance and got that button sewn back on.

Socks/underwear - not great quality (all the good cotton is exported). Finding linen (for beds) in neutral colors with no flowers can be a bit of a challenge sometimes too.

Bringing certain small kitchen items (like a couple of good cutting knives) that don't take up room and are lightweight is also a good idea as it saves you money (you'd be surprised how expensive it'll get to "restock" stuff...that's why it's great if a furnished flat also has some plates/glasses, etc.)

Don't bring detergents. There's no dryers so everything will dry out on radiators/outside and will be cardboard stiff anyway.

books are heavy, but they're also expensive, so try to sneak a couple of thick ones as part of your carry on, at least.

bring a mobile that works in egypt (you buy the sim cards and the phones separately). it's a status symbol here, so everyone sports the newest models but if you just want a functional phone, you can probably buy an older, used model on ebay for cheaper than you would in egypt.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
mobile that works in egypt. it's a status symbol here, so everyone sports the newest models

*Sigh*

Don't remind me of that freak show.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karemo7
Member # 386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karemo7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

either deteragent or your jeans is cheap one [Razz]
there are many good lundarys in egypt , if you have a washing machine use buy PERSIL (COLOUR ) OR ARIEL (COLOUR) detreagents.

Posts: 367 | From: cairo , egypt | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karemo7
Member # 386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karemo7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hehe...yea my mom lived in Egypt for 10 years!! She said that she reaaaally learned how to be patient!

So what's a moka pot? And yes...I was thinking of carrying detergent w/me lol (I know i'm crazy)But I'm thinking of packing a huge box of necessary items (like nutella!!!!) to take with me and I would just pay extra on my flight over to Egypt for it.

Blankets...good idea!

Oh! If I bring a coffee maker w/me...wouldnt' there be a problem with the voltage conversion? I'd be coming from Canada.

mains voltage in egypt is 220 AC volts , and 50 HZ.
If any electric machine you have is 110 volt / 1000 watt ,so, you must buy a voltage stabilizer 220 in / 110 out and 2000 watt.
be care

Posts: 367 | From: cairo , egypt | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Material things aside, the most important thing to bring and keep with you always, is a large dose of patience and a sense of humor. [Wink]

LAURA !! [Big Grin] You cannot imagine how much we have missed you here !! Things just are NOT the same without you, welcome back !! [Smile] ( I was so worried but others assured me you were fine). [Wink]
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does this mean that there is a gap in the expat-needs-market etc?

or is the paperwork/beaurocracy too much of a pain?

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommie of three
Member # 13146

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommie of three     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great question to ask, i didn't think about asking this myself..."the most common items overlooked when moving to egypt". I just wanted to say thanks to all who responded because it helps me prepare my move to egypt as well. This forum has been so helpful.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by karemo7:

there are many good lundarys in egypt , if you have a washing machine use buy PERSIL (COLOUR ) OR ARIEL (COLOUR) detreagents.

Since when do Egyptian males know about detergentology?

Compared to the same brands in the West, Egyptian detergents are really bad.

Mrs Tibe
Member # 12653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Tibe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know my friend (username Imagine) had trouble finding simply things like a canopener.
Posts: 528 | From: Denmark | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WB Laura. [Big Grin]

Yes take a moka pot. Glad you're enjoying it Ayisha. Soon you wont be able to live without it. [Big Grin]

I agree about the detergents......but they have dryers there.

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iloveEgypt
Member # 13258

Rate Member
So what's a Moka pot again???

And yes..this has been sooo helpful! Ok so i'll forget the nutella! And can opener is a must so i'll make sure to bring that.

Oh I found this one place in the maze that Khan Khalili is...they sell american standard sheets and pillows and I use it here now. There's no flowers on them! hehe and they're really nice. About $25 for fitted sheets 4 pillowcases and a flat sheet. So not bad. I'll probably go there again to buy my sheets!

So should I bring plates over too?? I'm kinda iffy about used plates and utensils.

And my husband has a mobile...i'm not sure if it can work in Egypt but i'll ask. Is buying a SIM card and getting a mobile plan expensive?

karemo7
Member # 386

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
quote:
Originally posted by karemo7:

Since when do Egyptian males know about detergentology?

Compared to the same brands in the West, Egyptian detergents are really bad.

It's first time i hear about detergents , [Mad]
i didn't use any eastern detergent to judge ,

mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I cant think of much that i missed in egypt that i could have brought with me , other than yes the electric blanket. Missed my clothes dryer desperately,, Other than that..proper kitchen utensils, though they can be bought in egypt. Spoons of a middle size, they have small spoons for sugar for tea or big spoons that we call tablespoons, i like the ones that are in between this size, a good knife, both a big one and a small paring knife. Pans that actually still have the handles on them hahaha, you can buy them but the ones in rented flats usually have them missing. Pot holders or cloths for holding onto hot pans. Sim cards are cheap, not sure about the plans. A hand mixer, all i have found for making mashed potatoes is a hand masher and i am spoiled and used to using an electric hand mixer for potatoes and cake mixes and such. You also will not find marshamallow anything,,, so if you use marshmallow for anything better bring tons with you. Mouthwash?, dont know, didnt look in the stores but i brought my own.
the 2 detergents he listed are generally pretty good i thought, the persil had my clothes very clean when used in a proper washing machine.

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And can opener is a must so i'll make sure to bring that.

So should I bring plates over too?? I'm kinda iffy about used plates and utensils.

Can openers are everywhere! How do you think the Egyptians open all the cans they sell here??

And plates...they eat off plates too, and use knives and forks and spoons! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

And my husband has a mobile...i'm not sure if it can work in Egypt but i'll ask. Is buying a SIM card and getting a mobile plan expensive?

Re mobile - its very easy to get a sim card depending what you want. I used to get a new one each visit unless the one from the previous visit was still within its date. If your husband's mobile will work in Egypt, make sure its not 'locked' into your current provider so you can just stick any old SIM card in it.

Now I have a vodaphone contract,its 15 months minimum and for any month that I don't use 30 mins costs me 7LE deducted from my credit, and just top up with normal egy vodaphone top up cards. Its great because I can keep the same number from visit to visit (which may be 3 months or more apart at the moment) without having to worry about credit expiry etc. I think the sim and initial 100LE credit cost me less than 150LE in total - I got it months ago so I have forgotten exactly what it cost.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Moka-Express-6-Cup/dp/B000CNY6UK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-9434241-9692811?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1176398114&sr=8-2

quote:
With all the expensive espresso makers sold around the world, native Italians prefer espresso from stovetop espresso makers and more Italians use Bialetti for their stovetop Italian coffee. For an excellent cup of Italian coffee, the classic eight-side household coffee-pot is considered a true italian tradition. The Moka Espress boasts a lot of records and, as such, is the most copied coffee-maker! With sturdy aluminum construction, the Moka Express is a product that actually improves with constant use. The unit is extremely simple to use. Just fill the lower chamber with water and the filter with ground espresso coffee. Place the pot on the stove and heat until the water boils. As it does, the liquid espresso moves to the upper chamber of the pot, ready to be poured into an awaiting espresso cup. After that, all you need to do is enjoy the delicious nectar of coffee.

Sorry I didn't post this sooner.
annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You dont have to bring an electric coffee machine. They are available in Egypt but a bit expensive, min $40 (Canadian) if you are lucky. However, its still a lot cheaper than paying for extra luggage so dont burden yourself with it and you wont need the converter either.

However, the paper filters and the coffee itself is extremely expensive. I bought a coffee machine with one of those permanent filter inside that you just wash off after each use. As for the coffee, the problem is this:
Its always grounded too small for "american" coffee machines, you can find the big cans of Maxwell or Foldgers at the store, the kind you get for $5 in Canada but in Egypt is about 60 LE. Otherwise, you can go to the shops where they roast and ground the coffee themselves, and you'll pay about 40 LE per kilo and you can explain that you want it grounded "big".

What I would bring is: shaving cream, its really expensive in Egypt, a big box of Advil, Mayonaise is also beyong expensive, and so is salad dressing, no dill pickles either, but that unfortunately too heavy to carry.

If there is any beauty products - cream, conditioner, etc.. - that you cannot live without then bring it. And good make up is really expensive.

Forget the can opener!! Unless you like the fancy starfrit model.

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
History on it.

http://www.bialetti.com/

Only people who don't know any better use an electric pot. lol

Try the moka. You wont regret it. It goes on any burner, and you can even take it camping with you. These little pots have been known to last 50 yrs.

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

iloveEgypt
Member # 13258

Rate Member
Hehe...good point about the can opener!! I mentally pictured them opening cans w/knives lol (don't ask)

I know that Egypt has plates and utensils, but is it expensive? Cuz I can just go to Ikea here and get them really cheap.

I already have mayo on my list and tylenol too! And my Pantene shampoo/cond. I know anything imported is ridiculously expensive in Egypt.

With the voltage converter thing. When I went to Egypt last year I brought a converter with me for my hair dryer, but it was really weak. And I tried using my flat iron and it didn't even work because it was too powerful. So how would I know what will work and what won't?

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shebah:
http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Moka-Express-6-Cup/dp/B000CNY6UK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-9434241-9692811?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1176398114&sr=8-2

quote:
With all the expensive espresso makers sold around the world, native Italians prefer espresso from stovetop espresso makers and more Italians use Bialetti for their stovetop Italian coffee. For an excellent cup of Italian coffee, the classic eight-side household coffee-pot is considered a true italian tradition. The Moka Espress boasts a lot of records and, as such, is the most copied coffee-maker! With sturdy aluminum construction, the Moka Express is a product that actually improves with constant use. The unit is extremely simple to use. Just fill the lower chamber with water and the filter with ground espresso coffee. Place the pot on the stove and heat until the water boils. As it does, the liquid espresso moves to the upper chamber of the pot, ready to be poured into an awaiting espresso cup. After that, all you need to do is enjoy the delicious nectar of coffee.

Sorry I didn't post this sooner.
I still disagree and say the french press - also known as cafetière- is much better. Beats any coffee maker or moka wha-ha-tevvvvver! ;-) Easier to clean too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_press
http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Chambord-8-Cup-Coffee-Press/dp/B00005LM0S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-1055394-7568604?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1176399687&sr=1-1

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian999
Member # 13087

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian999   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wanna buy coffee beans in egypt go to abdel-maa`boud downtown --- bab elouk cairo ofcourse
Posts: 384 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Pantene (or one of them that looks just like it) is actually manufactured locally and cheaper. So don't bother bringing heavy stuff over - it will be expensive.

Bottom line is - yes you can buy anything. It's just
1/ how much do you want to pay and
2/ do you really want to buy it if you're here for a year.

Bottom line is weight. Anything heavy is not worth bringing over. Anything light (yes even a can opener) - is. Sure, you can find one in egypt. But you'll have to buy it, then throw it out after a year. It all comes down to your budget.

Forget Ikea mentality. No such thing (at that cost and that modern style). Think running around individual shops, think plain stuff, or flowery crap (basically whatever appeals to the mass local market). It can be a pain, but stuff like dishes, sure. You can find basic cheap items.

At the end though, it all adds up and if you're here for only a year (and there's not really a "2nd hand/used items type of market here - you're almost expected to give your things away to poorer people like your maid, etc. rather than resell it) after a year) - it get expensive.

Medicine is dirt cheap in egypt and can be bought at any pharmacy without prescription. Only thing you may want to bring is vitamins/homeopathic stuff or organic/additive-free type of vitamin/mineral supplements.

mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know where you would find the converter in canada, but here in the states i found a good one in Walmart. Go figure, i found it only after i spent a fortune for one online.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use some noncoloured vinegar in my washingmachine instead of softener. It is good for the machine, it saves the colours of your clothing and makes it somewhat softer if you have to dry in the open.
I never had problems in Egypt and I used Ariel.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korven.
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korven.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Infra-red telescoped M16.
Posts: 1167 | From: Homelandless | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
quote:
I still disagree and say the french press - also known as cafetière- is much better. Beats any coffee maker or moka wha-ha-tevvvvver! ;-) Easier to clean too.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Chambord-8-Cup-Coffee-Press/dp/B00005LM0S/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-1055394-7568604?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1176399687&sr=1-1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I completely disagree. Have you ever had coffee from a Bialetti moka pot?

I don't like the french press. You get grounds in it often.

The moka gives me thick rich pure and creamy espresso every time. No grounds. It's closer to the real espresso you get in a coffee shop/bar. Because of the pressure. I mean if you want authentic Italian espresso, a french press just wont deliver.

To each his own I guess.

BTW: I know ppl who after trying the moka, now use their french press for frothers. LOL [Wink]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shebah:
[QUOTE] I still disagree and say the french press - also known as cafetière- is much better. Beats any coffee maker or moka wha-ha-tevvvvver! ;-) Easier to clean too.

Gotta agree with shebah!

I LOVE Nescafe Gold Blend instant, never been into fresh coffee but adore cappuccino in the real coffee shops. Shebah encouraged me to buy this moka pot to take with me to Egypt, it arrived yesterday and its certainly the best coffee I had outside a real coffee shop. I love it!!

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iloveEgypt
Member # 13258

Rate Member
Well...i'm not a coffee drinker but my husband is. He was having a hard time finding cream for his coffee wherever we went...they would just bring milk hehe

I'm sorry...i don't mean to offend Egyptians but I really don't know...do you have like regular butter and heavy/whipping cream there? I like to bake.

egyptian999
Member # 13087

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian999   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
everything is in egypt it will just take time to find , the country name is egypt , not usa ,not france etc ..i i just have a question , if i go france i would like to try everything ppl use there , eat , dress even if so , egypt isnt somecountry else , live egypt with all its details ... this way u will know the real egypt , egypt isnt the bazar and big malls walk like an egyptian !
Posts: 384 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iloveEgypt
Member # 13258

Rate Member
I understand what you're saying egyptian999, but I don't think there's anything wrong in preparing yourself to move there materially and mentally and, bring some of the things you like with you, and asking if some things you like are already avaiable.

You may know Egypt inside and out and what'e avaiable and where to find it etc., but people coming from outside really don't have an idea. This is why we ask these questions.

karen36
Member # 1076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karen36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heinz makes a good mayo, and it's cheap. Dont risk having a jar break in your suitcase.

Things I also brought: measuring spoons and cups for baking, a 9x13 pan if many of your cakes and recipes call for one, liquid vanilla (they have powder only, tampons, wooden spoons/spatula, and vitamins.

Posts: 219 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
butter is available very easily, the heavy cream i am not sure but you can find evaporated and condensed milk, and mixes for whip cream.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
quote:
liquid vanilla (they have powder only, tampons,
Ditto!

Don't forget the Bisquick. [Big Grin]

iloveEgypt
Member # 13258

Rate Member
Ooooh measuring spoons and cups!! Good call!! And the pans. Wow I feel like I have to bring tons of stuff w/me. I make awsome creme brulee. And I need heavy cream for that. So hopefully it'll work out in Egypt especially since I love making it in the summer time. Although I need a blow torch haha
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
You would be amazed at the amount of cream in the whole milk. It was so rich I couldn't drink it.

That being said, I don't think you'll have a problem finding cream. [Smile]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
quote:
And can opener is a must so i'll make sure to bring that.

Can openers are everywhere! How do you think the Egyptians open all the cans they sell here??

And plates...they eat off plates too, and use knives and forks and spoons! [Big Grin]

It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a can opener. [Big Grin]

Ya ILE, you're moving to Cairo, right? Well, almost everything is available in Cairo, but you just have to know here to go and sometimes things are way over-priced.

So don't panic.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com