EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » The most common items overlooked when moving to Egypt (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The most common items overlooked when moving to Egypt
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IloveEgypt save yourself paying excess baggage and forget just about everything above bar the electric blanket and good underwear. You will find all these items at sensible prices in the hypermarkets like Carrefour just on the outskirts of Cairo. Yes Egypt has modern hypermarkets as well! So bring your clothes, bring yourself and have some fun shopping you really do not need to load up with all this stuff.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iloveEgypt
Member # 13258

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for iloveEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks MK!

I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. What stuff are worth bringing because I don't want to spend all my money on way over-piced items if I have it here already.

Posts: 48 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
measuring spoons, baking trays and sheets, tampons, thick cream, whipping cream, single cream, sour cream, double cream, powdered creams, all available in Cairo. Powdered or real vanilla pods also available but no liquid. Wooden spoons from streetside sellers to supermarkets. These are everywhere?? Plates of every concievable type and price. All electrical appliances are available in Abdel Azziz St or hypermarkets, even cafetieres.

You need bring nothing except an electric blanket, good shoes, books.
[Cool]

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark2006
Member # 11594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mark2006     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean a coffee maker but (non electric) ,and they say sometimes Moka , ,so if you like this kind try to bring the pot with you , cause here is too rare to find it
Posts: 248 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iloveEgypt:
I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. What stuff are worth bringing because I don't want to spend all my money on way over-piced items if I have it here already.

If I would only take one thing with me, it's this thermal underwear for the winter.

I am scared of electric blankets! How do you guys manage to fall asleep with a sheet of hot wires on top of you? And it dries the skin big time! What's wrong with a good old bottle of hot water?!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
I am scared of electric blankets! How do you guys manage to fall asleep with a sheet of hot wires on top of you? And it dries the skin big time! What's wrong with a good old bottle of hot water?!

An electric blanket (in the UK anyway) is something that you put under the bottom sheet. You turn it on for about an hour before you go to bed, and then turn off when you get in. It does the same job as a hot water bottle, but warms most of the bed instead of you having to decide which part of you you want to have warm when you get in. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have both here. But the ones on top used as a blanket are called electric blankets.

I would like to know how many people actually turn them off though. Most around here don't. They get it hot, then turn it down when they crawl in. That always bothered me.

I grew up with people that put them on thier kids beds. I always thought, "omg, what if they wet the bed?" [Eek!] [Frown]

I don't like electric blankets either. I love a lot of quilts. [Big Grin] But I'm a real idiot....I'll leave that little electric heater on all night long. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:

An electric blanket (in the UK anyway) is something that you put under the bottom sheet. You turn it on for about an hour before you go to bed, and then turn off when you get in. It does the same job as a hot water bottle, but warms most of the bed instead of you having to decide which part of you you want to have warm when you get in. [Big Grin]
I've never seen one that you put under the bottom sheet, just the ones that go over you! But never used one! [Frown]
Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:

I believe they come in two versions. I once bought one out of curiosity and I couldn't sleep out of fear. [Big Grin]

It's like I was falling asleep in an electric chair!

Anyway, one bottle for the feet and one for the heart do it for me. [Cool]

And yes I'm married but I don't use my hubby as as source of energy. I have my own bedroom and I like the feeling that I can sleep like a Vitruvian Man.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen an electric blanket, period.

Sounds like a good idea, though, although I would be scared to sleep on it, too. The pre-warming the bed then turning it off sounds great.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
^^ Check out the whole site:

http://cozywinters.com/shop/pf-shmf.html

annie_81
Member # 4149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie_81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, Heinz does not make real mayo so that doesnt count. Just because they make white sauce and call it mayonaise does not mean that it is mayonaise. And the other brands are very expensive.

Pantene Pro V is available in Egypt, true, but only the 2 in1 is made locally and cheap!! Toronto girl said she likes the conditioner which is imported and costs over 10$ for a small bottle, while is only 3-4$ in Canada for the gigantic bottle.

--------------------
"Whashing One's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral" -Freire-

Posts: 370 | From: Montreal, Canada + World expat | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not make your own mayo? It's cheap and better.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin No More:
I've never seen an electric blanket, period.

Sounds like a good idea, though, although I would be scared to sleep on it, too. The pre-warming the bed then turning it off sounds great.

OMG...I had one of these when I was about 12/13. My parents used to remind me to switch it off but that is hard to do, when all cosy and being toasted gently to sleep. One night, I woke up to see that the end of my bed was on fire. [Eek!] Luckily, only the bed was damaged. Since then, I've never used or wanted one. I believe they are very much safer now but frying is not for me.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
Why not make your own mayo? It's cheap and better.

I love home-made mayo but believe it or not, ready-made mayo is processed therefore safer, especially if you're pregnant.

To kill the microbes, do you do something to the eggs or do you use them raw?

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was doing a search for a thread and found this and thought of Oldbag. Might be a bit late but who knows!
Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have a recipe for a good homemade mayo batch? [Confused]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com