EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Different dialects in Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Different dialects in Egypt?
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never realized that people speak different dialects inside Egypt. Through an article by Zahi Hawass I heard about it (he can speak with a Damietta accent as this is his place of origin).

Is it true? Do people from various regions pronounce words differently or even use words others might not know of?

Can you give examples?

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
absolutely! My husband is from Upper Egypt, they use a soft 'g' sound in those words whereas in Lower Egypt (Cairo etc) they would use a hard 'g' sound on those words, thats one example. He has to concentrate if speaking to someone from a different part of Egypt to his own so he can understand. Its the same as someone from London and someone from Scotland, different dialects altogether.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate the hard G sound, I think it sounds so ugly, especially in relation to names. Jannah becomes Gannah (uggh!), etc.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz007
Member # 11424

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for liz007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried speaking arabic in Siani and was not always understood as there are many different dialects, especially among the bedouins, which populate the area. Even saying how are you is different from egyptian or arabic, and the children don't always know the MSA.
plus-my arabic is not good!! (shway, shway!)

Posts: 22 | From: uk/sharm | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
I hate the hard G sound, I think it sounds so ugly, especially in relation to names. Jannah becomes Gannah (uggh!), etc.

Yes but Smuck isn't it an Egyptian thing to pronounce the 'g' hard while if you learn the real Arabic it will always be pronounced as a 'j'?

And Liz007, how f.e. greet the bedouins themselves? With 'Ezzyak' or 'Kayf haalak' or else?

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buck Naked
Member # 13323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buck Naked     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so tigerlily, are you saying that Egyptian isnt real Arabic? [Confused] You do confuse me. Are you native speaker?
Posts: 135 | From: I leave you with your misery, a friend who won't betray! | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I've heard, that the Egyptians just use the hard G sound (someone might want to correct me if I'm wrong).
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerry
Member # 6310

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Kerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ohhh what a nice topic, i just had the cleaningservant here and i realized what for a different dialect she use to speak and when i asked here if thats the same; she said yes, but that she use to say it that way. so its nice but sometimes hard to understand if they speak fast and in a dialect. many greets from me to all of u!
Posts: 147 | From: Mainz,Germany/ Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Buck Naked:
so tigerlily, are you saying that Egyptian isnt real Arabic? [Confused] You do confuse me. Are you native speaker?

Of course Egyptians speak Arabic. But can anyone translate for me what 'Hocharabisch' means in English? That's what I meant to say, I took a course in it for three months.

So are there any differences in speaking besides that? When I traveled throughout Egypt I was able to communicate with everyone in broken Arabic - and they understood me. [Big Grin] I think as a foreigner it's very difficult to hear and to understand if Egyptians speak different dialects.

Getting away from the subject a bit now but do Egyptians actually understand for example when Moroccans speak? For me it's a totally different language! [Confused]

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Hi Kerry, how are you? So you are definitely not in Mainz right now! [Wink] We are getting ready to move this summer ins 'Schwabenlaendle'! [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com