EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Advice on unmarried couple living in Cairo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice on unmarried couple living in Cairo
flutterbysky
Member # 13567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for flutterbysky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!

Just looking for some advice. I'm moving out to Cairo (most likely Maadi) in August. I have a boyfriend of 6 years and he is not coming out with me at that time. However, if he came over to visit me would it be acceptable for him to say with me in my flat even though we are not engaged/married?

Thanks, Lisa

Posts: 4 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korven.
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korven.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is only 6 years old ?! Of course he can stay with you any where you like... We too love kids in Egypt [Smile]
Posts: 1167 | From: Homelandless | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flutterbysky
Member # 13567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for flutterbysky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, ok, ok rephrase!!! We've been together FOR 6 years!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korven.
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korven.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea much better now [Big Grin]
Posts: 1167 | From: Homelandless | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flutterbysky
Member # 13567

Rate Member
So you would say it is fine for him to stay with or even to come and live with me even though we are not married?

I've read and been told that it can be cause for great concern because of Islamic beliefs? I don't want to annoy anyone when I come out! [Smile]

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you both foreigners? I don't think Egyptians bother with the relationship habits of foreigners.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flutterbysky
Member # 13567

Rate Member
Yeah, we are both Scottish. Thanks for the information [Smile]
Korven.
Member # 11013

Maybe it depends on where abouts in Scotland you are from...
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Korven look at location Glasgow
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korven.
Member # 11013

Yea I did before I posted, you too from Scotland, I can see it, but you are not old and you are nice lady, I can see everything,... [Wink]
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm not young either Korv! but I'm nice I think.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problems for foreigners but just to make thigns less complicated you might want to tell people you are married. Nobody will check but it might save you hassle.

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korven.
Member # 11013

I will tell people they are unmarried [Razz]
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Korv will come along and bust your shitt so you better watch it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian999
Member # 13087

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian999   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he can stay with u , me too can , egypt is free country
Posts: 384 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soma
Member # 12876

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
flutterbysky , in islam it's HARAM , but who cares , try to let him have other flat to be safe from any annoying people here can know that , but the GOD him self prevement that stuff boy or girl friends it's haram relation , and egypt is not free country but in cairo yes maybe but in other state it's so hard to have this
hope u and him get married and be safe

Posts: 88 | From: cairo | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cairo_Resident
Member # 11930

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cairo_Resident   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just say your married, otherwise egyptian male neighbors will be coming on to you. Better get used to the eyeballing, the whistling, the hissing, and the obnoxious calls married or not...I have even ehard some have proposed to married women and made them leave their husbands...in return for...paraidse in egypt of course...
Posts: 9 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cairo_Resident:
just say your married, otherwise egyptian male neighbors will be coming on to you. Better get used to the eyeballing, the whistling, the hissing, and the obnoxious calls married or not...I have even ehard some have proposed to married women and made them leave their husbands...in return for...paraidse in egypt of course...

CR you sound very cynical.
Sorry you've had such bad experiences, but not all experiences are the same.

There are very good Egyptian men here and likewise very good husbands and providers. Please don't generalize, it's offensive to those of us who have Egyptian male husbands and/or children.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Relax Smuckers good Egyptian husbands speak for themselves. I never compare mine to whatever fortuneseeker. But a warning could be right since to Egyptian males a passport to the West can be very attractive and they may go to great length if they see someone moving around by herself.
And being in Egypt by yourself you might get lonely and romantic and thereby vulnerable to some attention where the bf will get to the background. It's only human.

Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I was also going by what she said in another thread.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demiana
Member # 2710

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see Smuckers, missed it I guess. Some foreigners do become cynical and judgemental I believe if you keep up meassuring different people by your own standards.
Posts: 1419 | From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Demiana:
I see Smuckers, missed it I guess. Some foreigners do become cynical and judgemental I believe if you keep up meassuring different people by your own standards.

I must admit being a foreigner in Egypt I have my cynical moments too, maybe I'm just hormonal. [Razz]
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flutterbysky:
So you would say it is fine for him to stay with or even to come and live with me even though we are not married?

I've read and been told that it can be cause for great concern because of Islamic beliefs? I don't want to annoy anyone when I come out! [Smile]

As Akshar said, as a concession to local customs you might want to refer to him as your "husband" rather than your "boyfriend" when talking to neighbours, your bauwab etc.

But there shouldn't be any problems, particularly since both of you are foreigners. And if you're going to live in a neighbourhood like Maadi I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korven.
Member # 11013

Ok, everything is ready, the whole area knows you are unmarried and they will make you either get married or leave Egypt for at least 10 years before you come back for an extension of another 20 [Wink]

Listyen, honestly, in Maadi you will be like in Europe, never listen to anything else, it happens that I know the area like you know your homeland.

But I guess they are having fun there by now as we are killing ourselves trying to prove or unprove things around here [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

last one standing
Member # 12315

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for last one standing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cairo_Resident:

Yeah, really I was wondering just how common is that I mean asking married and intended women to get married.

One man asked my intended to marry me and convinced him that he could take better care of me because he was really "religious" and we are from the same country. The sad part is my poor Egyptian intendant believed him.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com