EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian Villagers Explain Why They Circumcise Their Daughters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Villagers Explain Why They Circumcise Their Daughters
Undercover
Member # 12979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Female genital mutilation "is part of the Sunna of the Prophet"

Following are excerpts from a television program about female circumcision in Egypt, which aired on Al-Mihwar TV on May 10, 2007:

[...]

Interviewer: In the Islamic religion, and in the villages and neighborhoods, it is always said that girls should be circumcised just like boys. Does it come from the Sunna, or is it a custom or yours?

Female villager: Circumcision is part of the Sunna of the Prophet. We used to bring a daya, and she would circumcise the children, but when the role of the daya was abolished, we stopped. Now we take our children to the doctor, and he circumcises them.

Interviewer: So it is the doctor who circumcises the girl?

Female villager: Yes. If a girl is not circumcised, she can't stand it. When she is circumcised, she is calm and has self-restraint. The circumcision protects the girl and makes her clam.

[...]

Interviewer: So you think all women should be circumcised to protect their honor.

Female villager: The Prophet said that the men go and wage Jihad for a year. He said that girls should be circumcised so they can bear it for a whole year until the men return. [...]

And "Al-Azhar Cleric Farahat Sa'id Al-Munji Justifies Female Circumcision: It Replaces the Chastity Belts of Ancient Times":

Following are excerpts from an interview with Al-Azhar Cleric Farahat Said Al-Munji, which aired on Al-Mihwar TV on May 10, 2007:

Farahat Sa'id Al-Munji: The Prophet said that circumcision is obligatory for men, and is noble for women. This means that for the sake of her honor, a woman can be circumcised. This noble act can be either carried out or not. Moreover, this noble act is subject to restrictions nowadays. I once had a discussion with a gynecologist, who said: "A man brought his daughter to me, and I told him she must be circumcised immediately." Why? Because he discovered that her clitoris was so big that it was bound to cause her pain or bother her when she reached puberty, and therefore, she had to be circumcised. He told me that other girls came to him, and he said they should not be circumcised. Why? Because their clitoris was normal in size, and did not bother them. It would be crazy to deal with such a clitoris, which does not protrude to an extent that might bother the woman, when it rubs against her clothing and so on...

Guys, all these things appear in Islamic law. Don't think we are making these things up. It all exists [in religious law] and is determined... We say that if the clitoris is so on and so forth... What am I saying? When the Prophet Muhammad met Umm Salama in Al-Madina – what did he say to her? "Are you still doing what you sued to do in Mecca?" In other words, are you still circumcising girls, like you used to do in Mecca? She said: Yes. He said: "Trim it, but don't cut it off." According to another version, he said: "Shorten it, but don't cut it off." "Trim it" means leaving room for sexual desire. That little bit on top, which looks like the rooster's crest, is shortened, but just the upper part. She needs to cut off the prepuce, the little bit at the top.

http://www.memritv.org/Transcript.asp?P1=1467

Posts: 3188 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 13 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The prevailing mentality of many villagers whether Egyptians, Romanians or Bangladeshis have one thing in common and that is ignorance .

The Sunna of Prophet Muhammad (saw) consists of traditions and actions attributed to him. Such traditions if authentic result in a consensus(by the Ummah). There isn’t a consensus with regards to female circumcision. It is in fact an aberration clearly demonstrated by the Ummah’s detestation of such a hideous act. Female circumcision mainly prevails in the most ignorant areas of Africa. Muslims and non-Muslims alike practice this abnormality.

Prominent Egyptian scholars concede that such an act is not Sunnah. Al-Azhar needs to clean up its act and really it is a shame that such an institution has become inconsequential.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=003103;p=1

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=002895;p=1

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Undercover:
Female genital mutilation "is part of the Sunna of the Prophet"

CIRCUMCSION IS NOT FGM OR MALE GENITAL MUTILATION

WRONG WRONG TRANLSATION FROM THE ZIONIST MERMTV

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
Romanians

FGM is performed there too?
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The prevailing mentality of many villagers whether Egyptians, Romanians or Bangladeshis have one thing in common and that is ignorance .

In Romanians villagers have never practiced circumcise...in case that you heard something else.
Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:
Romanians

FGM is performed there too?
No Tigerlily...is just Sobriquet ignorance! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To whom it may concern:

Develop your reading comprehension because I neither wrote nor alluded to Romanian practice of female circumcision.

Tips on improving reading comprehension: http://www.marin.cc.ca.us/%7Edon/Study/7read.html

[Razz]

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah right, that's why you included the Romanian village people in your post about FGM..... [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The prevailing mentality of many villagers whether Egyptians, Romanians or Bangladeshis have one thing in common and that is ignorance ."

Where does that say they perform FGM? It says they're ignorant and that it's a common factor amongst villagers. FGM is generally performed out of ignorance. Do I have to draw y'all a map?

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Chill, MM, this topic is about FGM, isn't it?

Do you want me to give you some GPS coordinates?

DUH! [Roll Eyes]

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is about FGM but what Sobriquet was saying was that FGM is done out of ignorance. His post has relevance. You may want to learn to read and comprehend the English language a little better before you jump on ppl.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Now back to the topic - FGM.

I don't think it's ignorance what people motivates to perform this on their females. Rather it's a combination of following an old tradition/lack of education.

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Lack of education falls into the ignorance category. They're ignorant in the fact that they believe this is beneficial for females. If they weren't ignorant they wouldn't believe this.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Oh you are too kind, MM, but please keep your lectures for other people - or for yourself.

It was easy to misunderstood when Sobriquet's reply to FGM included the word Romanians - that's all.

So stop jumping at people. Now let's talk about the main issue here.

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Ok but if you would read beyond *Romanians* you would see his post has relevance. His posts always have more relevance than yours when it comes to Egypt. He's Egyptian and has been in the country of late. Unlike yourself.

Tell us..what do you know about FGM? Has it been performed on anyone you know personally? Have you personally spoken with an Egyptian to know how *they* feel about it and why they do it? Or is this just typical hearsay BS that you get from copy and paste articles?

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mother War:
Lack of education falls into the ignorance category. They're ignorant in the fact that they believe this is beneficial for females. If they weren't ignorant they wouldn't believe this.

What is this? A word picking contest?!

Look these people are not ignorant. They believe in it and they follow it. They believe it is the right thing to do just like they believe in their religion.

And its a tough long way to educate them to choose the opposite. Egypt already made remarkable progress in this field. More and more families in villages stop FGM.

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Their beliefs are ignorant. If they believe that cutting off part of a woman's outer vaginal area is beneficial than I'd say it's pretty damned ignorant. Do you not know the meaning of ignorant?
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 14 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes, it is about FGM but what Sobriquet was saying was that FGM is done out of ignorance. His post has relevance. You may want to learn to read and comprehend the English language a little better before you jump on ppl.

Thank you Mother War [Smile]
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Ok but if you would read beyond *Romanians* you would see his post has relevance. His posts always have more relevance than yours when it comes to Egypt. He's Egyptian and has been in the country of late. Unlike yourself.

Tell us..what do you know about FGM? Has it been performed on anyone you know personally? Have you personally spoken with an Egyptian to know how *they* feel about it and why they do it? Or is this just typical hearsay BS that you get from copy and paste articles?

Oh god, welcome b*tchiness! Getting very personal right now, don't you?

Hey, remember when I told you I would never move to where your fiance/husband lived? Some Kafr close to Alex? I told you it was trashy. And you got upset.

Well you went and saw it with your own eyes - and you are back in the states now. So who knows more in your opinion?

I agree I left quite some time ago in Egypt, but I lived there for three years and you questioned my lifestyle in Egypt in another topic. I lived the expat life most of the time with less money you could imagine but I did hang out mostly with Egyptians. I ate fool, aish balady and wara' aynab just like you. Does it take a veil and a koran to live the traditional lifestyle in Egypt? Is this your opinion on the subject?

Live and let live.

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

WTF are you talking about? Ancient history?

Elitist TL as usual talking about trashy places in Egypt that she would never live in.

Lady you need to check yourself. You're completely loco. I see you've picked up some tips from your buddy.

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who you tryin to get crazy with esse? Don't you know I'm loco?

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korven.
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korven.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew once a villager who had split his daughter cause he did not know where exactly the part to cut for a Circumcision, sad but true [Frown]
Posts: 1167 | From: Homelandless | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loco motion.

Hee hee.

Amoot fe ghaba2 el-qawared.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
Who you tryin to get crazy with esse? Don't you know I'm loco?

[Big Grin] Cypress Hill [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com