EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » theres no polite way to ask this i suppose....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: theres no polite way to ask this i suppose....
Broadzilla
Member # 7022

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broadzilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been living in Egypt for 2 years, coming in from NY.

Initially, my attitude was pretty porous and open to new experiences and cultures. Unfortunately, whether it was luck or just too much experience, I'm a little burnt out on Egyptians as a whole, culturally.

I'm here for a year, 2 years tops but in the meantime, I'd really appreciate any information on any outlets, areas or institutions whose patrons are marjoritively foreign. Please tell me there are some spots, (not tourist spots mind you, riddled with dirtbag salesmen hounding you)where foreigners hang out and chill. I just have a little too much trouble dealing, socially. It's certainly no ones fault but my own, but again, any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 20 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The embassy, that`s all [Razz]
Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graf_Genn
Member # 11802

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graf_Genn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have been living in Egypt for two years and you haven't found any yet? The pubs and cafes on Abu El Feda, Ismail Mohammed, Hasan Sabry, etcetera have lots of foreign people. Just take a look through the window as you pass by, and don't be shy [Smile]
If you really are burnt out and need some company I have a few foreign friends in Cairo you might want to email or something, one is from Manhattan. PM me if you like.

Posts: 345 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But there is so much for ex pats in Cairo, how come you haven't found it. You might enjoy Egypt more if you made more of an effort. This is what I know about and I don't even live there.

Why not try the Hash Harriers so called drinking club with a sport problem. I have heard it is great fun and you will meet a circle of ex pats you can do other things with. http://www.cairohash.com/

From the thread in Visiting Egypt that has the links

http://www.endurance-egypt.org distance riding in the Cairo area

If you are into Egyptology EES do lectures as do the SCA.

There are clubs and activities on www.yallabina.com

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broadzilla
Member # 7022

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broadzilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said before, when I came I wasnt interested in hanging out with a bunch of Westerners. I was trying to adapt myself to the culture. I'm over that now, and subsequently, I'm asking questions. But thanks for the information.
Posts: 20 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the mistake you were making was that you took too deep a dive into Egyptian culture ... My guess is that you tried to get involved with the things that the average person does everyday ... things like riding a bus or going for a walk in downtown Cairo. While things like that may seem "normal" daily activities in any part of the civilized world, this is not the case in Egypt.

What you need to do is to assimilate through spending time with Egyptians who have lived abroad. It’s the middle way …

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broadzilla
Member # 7022

Rate Member
Yes, that was definitely a bad move. And I think you're absolutely right. Thanks.
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right and it 'is you'. You need to change your approach and the advice given you thus far is good. Socialize with a segment of Egyptian population that can relate to you and vice-versa. Use your intellect and weed such people out.

Companionship in Cairo (and everywhere else) will make your stay much more enjoyable, good luck.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broadzilla
Member # 7022

Rate Member
Are there any book clubs in Cairo? A meeting place where a collective group reads a book together and discuss their thoughts on them.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Broadzilla:
Are there any book clubs in Cairo? A meeting place where a collective group reads a book together and discuss their thoughts on them.

http://groups.msn.com/bookclubcairo/welcomepage.msnw

I don't know what its like, its on my list of things to investigate when I move..

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Broadzilla:

You might want to check for this at the American University in Cairo(AUC) bookstore or even at the library.By the way,their bookstore in the Zamalek branch is excellent.
Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would just love to join up with something like that. I devour books..lol
Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broadzilla
Member # 7022

Rate Member
Yes, also I havent read anything in a few weeks. I could eat one whole right now.

I wanna thank everyone who sent me PMs with advice and tips. You all kick ass, thanks.

egyptian999
Member # 13087

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian999   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi everyone , just woke up , been sleeping over a month
Posts: 384 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Autumnshyne
Member # 13640

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autumnshyne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm kinda new to ES but I'm down for starting our own book club! I'm an American kinda lost in the Egyptian mix. [Wink]
What do you guys think? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 52 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com