EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Letter to Roberto

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Letter to Roberto
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an open letter to Roberto, Diving World Beach (next to Sheraton Beach), Hurghada.

It is a pity that the guy who collects the 20 LE from each person who wishes to use your beach is not as conscientious about stopping the Cairene kids from using a line and hook to catch the fish.
After I complained he did speak to them but this did not stop bags of fish being caught.

Now call me a spoilsport but surely the beaches and the corals of Hurghada are supposed to be protected.

If you want someone to patrol your beach please let me know!

I really am incensed with what I saw yesterday and before any Cairenes jump in, yes these people did come from Cairo because I asked the father of these particular kids. He quite frankly said that they could do what they want as they were on vacation.

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's so typical but remember Egypt is a third world country.

Crazy fish, indignant fishermen

By Ahmed Maged
First Published: May 21, 2007
Ahmed Maged

Alexandria’s fishermen have taken their case to court, protesting that May and June are peak season

Ban on fishing endangering the fishermen

ALEXANDRIA: Fishermen and other boatmen who earn a living from the Mediterranean Sea continue to be indignant following the implementation of a ban on fishing along the Egyptian coasts.

This ban began at the beginning of May, in line with an agreement aimed at conserving fish and other marine life in the Mediterranean basin.

In Alexandria, as well as other coastal cities in Egypt , boatmen who fish beyond the the beaches find it difficult to rely on so-called boat picnics for a living. Due to end-of-term exams, these are not currently in great demand.

"If I do one picnic every day, that will be fine," said Usama, a boatman who operates in Bahari in east Alexandria.

"But everybody is busy right now. At this time of year, I used to depend on fishing. Now with no fishing, no picnics, do they want me to steal? If I am caught fishing in high seas I will be arrested and fined LE 50," he added.

Usama complained: "It's really unfair to take this decision. The life of a lot of poor people like me, who fish with a hook, has been ruined.

"The authorities should stop some fishermen from Rashid who have left their hometown behind and came to work here. They use three-layer nets that entangle all sizes of fish which will eventually deplete the area of all its sources

"A ban should have targeted this category which wreaks havoc with their operations, not me or other poor boatmen.

"This is the first time a ban has been imposed for such a long period. Initially, fishing used to be suspended for a day or two on exceptional occasions, including military maneuvers or the presence of a VIP ship near the coast," recalled Usama.

But it's also the first time professionals envy amateurs who line the beach, catching one or two fish, with their fishing rods.

According to press reports, Alexandria's fishermen have taken their case to court, protesting that May and June are peak season. They claim that banning fishing during this period, without notice, has ruined their businesses.

Besides failing to meet their economic and social obligations, fishermen protested that the suspended fishing has made it impossible to clear bank loans.

In their legal proceedings, they said the decision to ban fishing is endangering the lives of 10 million professionals and their families as well as affecting other vocations which are related to fisheries.

They warned that the ban is negotiable because the Mediterranean agreement stipulates that the conditions of fishermen should be taken into consideration before any restrictions are imposed.

Small amateurs remain the luckiest of the bunch, as they can work unnoticed and then sells their catch in a market where fish prices have soared.

One of them is Mohamed Al Sheikh, 18, from Alexandria, who walked along the corniche to tout some sea bass he carried in two big baskets. "I am offering it for LE 15, yes only 15, it’s sea bass, look," enthused Al Sheikh.

"I've spent all my day catching it, starting as early as 6 am, please buy anything, it’s a small quantity. I know a guy who can grill for you."

Following the recent decision to ban fishing, eateries are said to be depending on farm fish.

Al Sheikah explained: "Yes, the ban is not a local procedure but it's been taken in order to market the products of fish farms. This is exactly what happened with meat and chicken as when mad cow and bird flu hit respectively. Now it's the turn of fish but we're the victim."

But reputed fish restaurants are serving fresh fish and other delicacies at high prices. Prawns are offered at between LE 160 and LE 180. One kilo of grilled porgy is worth LE 35, mullet LE 50.

"Last year it was the crazy tomato, now it is the crazy fish," said Gaber Ali, an Alexandrian who is fond of fish.

"These famous restaurants have their own secret sources all over the country," said Adel Ghamen, a fish seller. "They don't take a risk even in the worst of circumstances or they will lose their reputation.”

He added: "They can't be questioned for offering fresh fish. It's only the fishermen who have to be answerable, not the supplier or the purchaser. Only the tycoons are above the ban. There are always exceptions."

The fishermen are awaiting the court ruling. The poor earners will make it by hook or by crook though, Usama was lucky to have come across two girls who requested a picnic. Al Sheikh managed to sell his two kilos of sea bass.

The ban is required to create a balance and give fish farming a chance. All we need is some better organization. Let's hope for the best.

http://www.dailystaregypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=7335

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sem, I know this guy..... he's the manager of Diving World, right??
His main concern is making money.... nothing else.... which is a real shame.... because his dive centre trains divers on that very same stretch of beach!!
I worked for him for a time...... and this is where they train beginner divers.... I taught 2 groups of Royal Marines there!!
Hope you, C, and M are all well!!!! [Smile]

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tigerlily - I think I should make it clear that these were not fish that were big enough to be eaten which were being caught. The small reef from where the fish were being taken is obviously a nursery as the fish were tiny. No this was sport only.

Samia - Yes he is the Manager/part owner of not only Diving World but that particular stretch of beach. You will know where I am coming from with this post, as I have written to Tigerlily above, some of the fish were so tiny. By the way as you know this stretch, just before you get to the pier there is a fantastic reef, C & I were snorkelling around it when C pointed downwards. Oh my God I have never seen anything like it, this 'thing' looked like a baby shark(?!!), silver grey in colour with round black eyes. It was hiding under an opening fairly near the bottom. I have looked in my book but cannot find this fish anywhere. I didn't hang around being a natural born coward!
Yes we are all well although I had to buy M his own chair for the balcony!!!!!!!!!!
Hope you and your M are doing well.
Love to you both.

--------------------
Whitelily

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree..... fish should not be killed for fun...... but, as you well know, Egyptians have very little feelings for animals anyway!!!
M has his own chair on the balcony??? Next he'll be getting a TV and an Ipod.... the most spoilt boy in Hurghada!!!
Love and hugs!! [Smile]

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The Peoplê
Member # 13480

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatic For The Peoplê         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Semsema:
Tigerlily - I think I should make it clear that these were not fish that were big enough to be eaten which were being caught. The small reef from where the fish were being taken is obviously a nursery as the fish were tiny. No this was sport only.

Samia - Yes he is the Manager/part owner of not only Diving World but that particular stretch of beach. You will know where I am coming from with this post, as I have written to Tigerlily above, some of the fish were so tiny. By the way as you know this stretch, just before you get to the pier there is a fantastic reef, C & I were snorkelling around it when C pointed downwards. Oh my God I have never seen anything like it, this 'thing' looked like a baby shark(?!!), silver grey in colour with round black eyes. It was hiding under an opening fairly near the bottom. I have looked in my book but cannot find this fish anywhere. I didn't hang around being a natural born coward!
Yes we are all well although I had to buy M his own chair for the balcony!!!!!!!!!!
Hope you and your M are doing well.
Love to you both.

In Dahab as I was walking with D and G right behind us. There came Q and U along with their little T, and Oh My God........ We saw them picking up fish with their bare hands. so H, N and Y waved to us and signaled that we should kick their ass out of the water. But right at that moment we ( I,D and G) saw the cutest little slug with amazing colors [Cool] . Later we bumped into mister R with his wife A and told them about those Saidis who were catching fish and you would not believe their reply.........yes, you guessed it GFY [Eek!]
Posts: 194 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMAO [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz
Member # 13525

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TigerLilly, on your remark about Egypt being a 'third world' country, let me update you on the term please. Thanks.

[The term Third World is disliked as it may imply the 'false' notion that those countries are not a part of the global economic system. Although it is also criticized as being out-of-date, colonialist, othering, and inaccurate, its use continues unabated. Political theorist Hannah Arendt contends that, indeed, "The Third World is not a reality but an ideology.]
From Wikipedia [Wink]

The term: DEVELOPING Country is more appropriate.

Posts: 215 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automatic For The Peoplê:
[.

[/qb]

In Dahab as I was walking with D and G right behind us. There came Q and U along with their little T, and Oh My God........ We saw them picking up fish with their bare hands. so H, N and Y waved to us and signaled that we should kick their ass out of the water. But right at that moment we ( I,D and G) saw the cutest little slug with amazing colors [Cool] . Later we bumped into mister R with his wife A and told them about those Saidis who were catching fish and you would not believe their reply.........yes, you guessed it GFY [Eek!] [/QB][/QUOTE]

crazy text [Big Grin] but great !

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"HEPCA is a recognised NGO - Non Governmental Organisation -
registered with the Red Sea Governorate and established by the
Members of the Hurghada Diving Society. HEPCA's mandate is
the protection and conservation of the land and marine ecology
and the underwater environment of the coral reef of the
Red Sea and its coastline".

http://titan.nswebhost.com/~hepca/index.htm

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com