EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian Kindness (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Egyptian Kindness
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is something very sweet about Egyptians. It is no secret that the majority of Egyptians have a limited budget. There is this one beautiful and thoughtful act that they do to the people they care and think about. [Smile]

They give you one missed call – no matter where you are in the world and no matter – how long since they last saw you [Smile]

It’s about kindness and letting you know they remember you. You know many of these missed calls personally give me a smile. They are actually thinking about you  How many other peoples you know that do this.

A missed call = Hi [Smile]

Please add other thoughtful things.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to think of it this [Cool]

I bet they would be pissed off with you though if you kept answering on the first ring lol

I bet they would stop being so sweet and thoughtful [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree with u ,4 me as an egyptian i would love to help any body in cairo but i feel many foreigners think that we are trying to abuse them although i never wait or accept to take any returns for the help i provide,its just the nice feeling and satisfaction to help some body here

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pseudovellum:

I bet they would be pissed off with you though if you kept answering on the first ring lol

Such a scenario happened and i can say it is very embarrassing [Embarrassed] for both parties [Big Grin]
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally dislike missed calls. I don't want anyone ringing my phone unless they have enough credit to actually talk. Send me an email if you don't have the money to buy credit.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by esso7:
i agree with u ,4 me as an egyptian i would love to help any body in cairo but i feel many foreigners think that we are trying to abuse them although i never wait or accept to take any returns for the help i provide,its just the nice feeling and satisfaction to help some body here

esso let me tell you something about foreigners and keep this in mind:

if it sounds too good to be true, then it is

I know you are being kind to members here and i am sharing with you such a mentality that reads your offers.

Don't offer so much and be very limited because people here will ridicule your kindness. People are simply not used to offers of good gesture.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:

Such a scenario happened and i can say it is very embarrassing [Embarrassed] for both parties [Big Grin]
I did that - my old mobile phone didn't show the identify of the caller and a friend from Egypt sent a missed call to let me know he was on line so we could make a chat, and regrettably I answered and used his entire credit up going 'hallo hallo who is it'.
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by oldbag:
quote:
quote:

I did that - my old mobile phone didn't show the identify of the caller and a friend from Egypt sent a missed call to let me know he was on line so we could make a chat, and regrettably I answered and used his entire credit up going 'hallo hallo who is it'.
So you're quick to press the button too [Big Grin] ... yeah it's like i have such a natural tendency too .. if i hear something ... my finger automatically clicks on the source ... ahahahaha

haram

[Big Grin]

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My other half and I sent missed calls to each other, I think it's unreasonable to expect him to call me, too expensive, certainly not him being mean, It's just nice to know your being thought of when we're not messaging or speaking by computer.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Number 2 Act of kindness

Egyptians stick by your side, they will be there through thick and thin. Call them up, please come over, come here now!, etc

Egyptians are usually there for you.

This is a beautiful act of kindness unmatched in most corners of the world!

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except when you need a ride to the airport and it was prearranged and at the last minute the guy flakes out on you. Or when someone tells you they can help you find a job and when you call they hang up in your face and when you call back they act like you have the wrong number. I have more....

quote:
Number 2 Act of kindness

Egyptians stick by your side, they will be there through thick and thin. Call them up, please come over, come here now!, etc

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by Mother War:
Except when you need a ride to the airport and it was prearranged and at the last minute the guy flakes out on you. Or when someone tells you they can help you find a job and when you call they hang up in your face and when you call back they act like you have the wrong number. I have more....

quote:
Number 2 Act of kindness

You been through this? Such people are users, i am talking about people you know but not really know. You know what i mean?

Users and liars go hand and hand MW. Such people could go to hell.

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

My husband had this experience. The airport ride guy was a "friend" in Egypt. My husband thinks he flaked out out of jealousy (my husband was coming to the US, the friend was not). The work guy happened here in the states.

quote:
quote:

quote:
Number 2 Act of kindness

You been through this? Such people are users, i am talking about people you know but not really know. You know what i mean?

egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree with u sobriquet abt that i ofer so much but really its my pleasure in helping sb

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
My husband had this experience. The airport ride guy was a "friend" in Egypt. My husband thinks he flaked out out of jealousy (my husband was coming to the US, the friend was not). The work guy happened here in the states.

quote:
quote:

quote:
Number 2 Act of kindness

I see. What about your general experiences in Egypt? Did you feel the kindness? everyone I know who has more than a pint of human blood acknowledges Egyptian kindness. MW what I am about to write below does not pertain to you, I know you have only lived in Egypt temporarily and I think the locals were jealous of you and your husband. The guy in the States is a liar. My sample size is 5 years + frequent visits and that reflects my outlook.

I am going to say something here controversial but I believe it to be true. Some of the foreigners in Egypt that go out of their way of living like they live like in their own countries

Do not have respect
Are despised
Hated
And your fast-food meals are spat on (be wary of road 9 McDonald's they spit on food ) [Big Grin] I had a friend who worked there [Big Grin] Ahahahahaha

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I didn't have a lot of experiences in Egypt with Egyptians outside of my husband's family. I felt a lot of generosity and kindness from the majority of his family (with the exception of two ppl, an aunt and a cousin's wife..these were also jealousy based problems). The experiences I had with Egyptians outside of the family were not all that positive (ppl trying to rip us off because I am American). I suppose if I lived there long term and had more experience perhaps I would have seen the generosity and kindness outside of the family.
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Esso, let me tell you this.

You read so many bad stories here about Egyptian men and what they are after. This is such a shame as we all know that they are not all like this but the mentality here is , if he is Egyptian, and he is offering friendship, he want's to sleep with her.

This is too bad for all the genuine guys like yourself just wanting to get friends and meet up with fellow ES'rs.

But one thing is for sure.
Once you have met up with even one ES'r in real life, that person ( female ) will be able to prove that when they met you that you were indeed a lovely guy.
It just takes one. The the ball is rolling for you to meet many others.

If nothing happens by OCT, I guarantee that you will meet 4possibly 5 ES'rs. I will arrange it myself.
We may have nothing in common except that we are ES'rs, but we will be able to vouch for you and then you may find members with your interests.

[Wink]

--------------------
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
I didn't have a lot of experiences in Egypt with Egyptians outside of my husband's family. I felt a lot of generosity and kindness from the majority of his family (with the exception of two ppl, an aunt and a cousin's wife..these were also jealousy based problems). The experiences I had with Egyptians outside of the family were not all that positive (ppl trying to rip us off because I am American). I suppose if I lived there long term and had more experience perhaps I would have seen the generosity and kindness outside of the family.

You are 1000% right, that's right one thousand percent right. Many Egyptians will fleece foreigners, especially Americans.

Give your husband a good smack to the back of the head! Really! Why are you dealing with such situations and purchases. Egyptians will size you up and if something is 5 L.E it will be 5 dollars for u!

Where was your husband in all of this, because it could've been avoidable.

Sorry MW - it is your husbands fault.

I lived in Cairo 5 years and my wife was getting stuff 25%-33% cheaper.

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

My husband was with me at all times. It was only the times when the merchants actually heard my voice that they tried to rip us off. My husband wouldn't have any of it. Once we bought batteries outside of Sala'adin's citadel and paid 8LE. Two days later we bought batteries again from the same guy and because I had spoken to my husband in front of him he tried to charge us 15LE. My husband told him, we will not pay any more than we did two days ago when we bought batteries from you. So, yes, ppl tried to rip us off because I'm American but none of them actually did.
Almaz
Member # 13525

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who wants Marshmallows in Cairo? found them in a shop today, some stuffed with jam and some stuffed with chocolate lol
the distributer is ERCO foods
they are made in CHINA...' the plain ones are great
they sell them in supermarkets and corner stores pm me for exact addresses. Under the brand name MMAS they come in small bags like chips .

--------------------
Almaz

Posts: 215 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've experienced several acts of kindness from Egyptians - eg when I got lost in Cairo at 2am in the morning (I walked for 2 hours with the map upside down so I was nowhere near where I thought I was, and was getting quite distressed!). Some Egyptians at a busstop figured out where I was trying to go, got a taxi for me, agreed a fare with him and sent me off.

Most importantly, I also experienced a huge amount of Egyptian (and non-Egyptian!) kindness from Mr & Mrs T who went far out of their way on more than one occasion to help a complete stranger.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by Almaz:
Who wants Marshmallows in Cairo? found them in a shop today, some stuffed with jam and some stuffed with chocolate lol
they sell them in supermarkets and corner stores pm me for exact addresses. Under the brand name MMAS they come in small bags like chips .

That's Egyptian kindness [Smile]
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok an example of Egyptian kindness from someone I didn't even know....Was travelling for the first time alone from Sharm to Cairo by bus so was feeling a bit nervous. The driver was a lovely man who became a bus driver because it was better paid than his job as an English teacher. He could tell I was a bit worried, so he sat me in the front seat, refused for anyone to sit next to me ( ticket or no ticket!), put me at ease chating on and off, stopped the whole bus 1/2 way just to get me a cup of tea even though it was Ramadan and they don't normally stop then, spoke to my husband on the mobile to organise exactly where I would be dropped off, and kept him update on our timings. When we got to Cairo he took me and my suitcases across one of those nightmare 8 lane roads leaving the whole bus waiting, at the other side he said goodbye and was gone before there was any time to give a tip,...now that was just one example of the kindness of so many Egyptians and I have so many more examples like that.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

That's Egyptian kindness [Smile]
NO IT'S NOT I STARTED A DIET TODAY [Mad]
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Oh yes, Penny's reminded me: I remember a specific occasion last year with now-ex Egy boyfriend.. We were travelling from Luxor to Cairo, I can't remember the exact details, but there was a checkpoint or something. He had forgotten to tell the car people that we weren't married, so we didn't have the right papers and no amount of weeping and pleading would budge the police.
Anyway, a coach driver saw what was happening and told my bf that he would smuggle me on the bus. So, to cut a long story short, he went to Cairo in the car, and I went to Cairo squished into the backseat of the bus between some very smelly European backpackers dropping to the floor everytime there was a checkpoint. The coach driver kept in touch with my bf on his mobile, and we were reunited at a rest stop just outside Cairo. Once we met up, the coach driver basically blanked us and walked off with no tip.

Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
quote:

did you see the chinese product distributers being executed?

Did any of the marshmallows have a peppermint filling, like Colgate? [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
my sister in law dropping everything and coming over to help me when I was ill, even though it was 40km away
[Smile]

--------------------
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I am going to say something here controversial but I believe it to be true. Some of the foreigners in Egypt that go out of their way of living like they live like in their own countries

Do not have respect
Are despised
Hated
And your fast-food meals are spat on (be wary of road 9 McDonald's they spit on food ) [Big Grin] I had a friend who worked there [Big Grin] Ahahahahaha

Some simply deserve what they get. Take my former boss. She was an American lady in her forties living in Egypt with her American (Jewish) hosbond and teenager daughter. Although she was the best boss I have ever had, she became a total hex after working hours. At parties, I always saw her husband mocking Egypt and the Egyptians, not in a funny way at all. He always gave me the feeling I wanted to slap him on the face. And considering his background, the issue became extra sensitive. Things went more complicated when we heard that our boss was starting to have drinking problems because her husband was cheating on her. She ended up getting so drunk in a party at the embassy, that she went and sat on the American ambassador's lap and then peed on him. She was fired for that but still stayed in Egypt until her daughter finished the remaining months of her high school year.

Their daughter was even more trouble. She was such a little bitch. Even thinking of her rises my blood pressure. She would come into the office and "order" us to do things for her, with this arrogant look on her face like "I'm more advanced in the evolution than you" or something. Grrrrrrr..

So that little teenager thing was made to believe that she was a superior American who could do what she pleases in Egypt. So one day she took a cab to a party, something that she was used to and mastered very well, and then when she arrived back home late at night with a friend to her mom's house in a quiet street in Maadi (maybe they were a little bit tipsy) started arguing with the taxi driver over the price. One thing lead to another and she was really rude to him, and then started to beat him up, and calling him in clear Arabic pig, retard, etc and then spit on him (!!!! - As told by her girlfriend who was with her), then before you know it the guy goes off and beats the crap out of her [Big Grin] , including punching her right in the face (aaah ha ha) knocking her down, and then he drove off. I also heard he used a heavy metal object (some say it was the car jack) that was with him in the car in his act.

She was lying there unconscious in the early hours of the morning with her face full of blood. He gave her a broken nose, a skull fracture, a concussion, and she was in coma for several days (No, actually weeks!) because he supposedly hit her on her head with the car jack. I also heard she kept a permanent handicap after that incident.

Anyway, my boss left Cairo with her comatose daughter within a week after that accident. Forever. And she divorced the bastard too.

I don't feel sorry for that girl. Do you?

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's good and bad anywhere in the world, Other half always insists on coming into a shop when I go for something specific, because he says he'll get Egyptian price. Then I've met so many kind lovely people, who couldn't do enough, without looking for anything in return.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlebev
Member # 13788

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlebev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
recently i went to visit my b/f and we went out 2 a party that he had arranged for me i got ever so drunk fell in the pool u name it i done it lol and the next morning 6am i woke him to say i wanted a bottle of coca cola his friend heard my request got up out of bed and went to the shop and brought me 3 big bottles of coca cola that was really appreciated by myself who in any other country would wake up just to get someone else a drink from the shop u tell me that lol
Posts: 197 | From: hertford england | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You are 1000% right, that's right one thousand percent right. Many Egyptians will fleece foreigners, especially Americans.

Give your husband a good smack to the back of the head! Really! Why are you dealing with such situations and purchases. Egyptians will size you up and if something is 5 L.E it will be 5 dollars for u!

Where was your husband in all of this, because it could've been avoidable.

Sorry MW - it is your husbands fault.

I lived in Cairo 5 years and my wife was getting stuff 25%-33% cheaper

quote:
My husband was with me at all times. It was only the times when the merchants actually heard my voice that they tried to rip us off. My husband wouldn't have any of it. Once we bought batteries outside of Sala'adin's citadel and paid 8LE. Two days later we bought batteries again from the same guy and because I had spoken to my husband in front of him he tried to charge us 15LE. My husband told him, we will not pay any more than we did two days ago when we bought batteries from you. So, yes, ppl tried to rip us off because I'm American but none of them actually did.
Sorry Sobriquet, but MW is right. This is the norm.

MK: She asked for it.

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

China Ensures Food Safety for Now

Khushi,Shimla, INDIA
Jun 13 2007, 8:59 am GMT

China has ruled out the concerns for tainted food as the food officials say that the actual scenario is not as bad as the reports have shown. To prove its point, the government arranged a visit of some100 foreign and domestic reporters to a food safety lab and storehouse. The store contained bogus goods starting right from the chewing gum to soy sauce. The Vice Minister for the State Administration for Industry and Commerce, Li Dongsheng said, “Yes, there are now some problems of food safety of Chinese products. However, they are not serious. We should not exaggerate those problems.” He also emphasized on the fact that China has developed “very good, very complete methods” to ensure the safety of the products.

China’s goods have been constantly under scrutiny due to its poor safety methods. The pressure has increased since a few months due to the deaths of pets in U.S. after eating tainted food that had been imported from China. The FDA has also stopped the imports of Chinese toothpaste that is under test for a deadly chemical. China too has been alleging U.S. with unsafe standards as it has listed some four American products as unsafe and not in accord with Chinese safety standards.

China from a long time has been the leader in fake things, be it fake medicines or illegally copied music/movies. As per reports, the fake exports of china measure up to a $50 billion loss to the actual producers. But as per the Chinese officials, the surveillance has been revised and the inspections have been made stricter too. As per documents, in 2006, 4.6 million inquires, complaints and reports were received and 16,000 tons of unsafe food products were ordered to be cleared from the markets. Now only time can ensure that if China has taken its lessons seriously enough!

http://www.foodmall.org/entry/china-ensures-food-safety-for-now/

I'd rather go for a bag of Chipsies made in Egypt if I was you!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Shall we proceed?

Number 3 Act of Kindness

You (ES Members , especially those who lived in Egypt - have 15 minutes to name #3, if not i will)

Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They offer you the best of what they have.

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you are struggling they will bend over backwards to get you the services and help you need, for free. I have had a doctor come and pick me up from my home because I didn't have anyone to go to the hospital with me and I was in a tough spot, give me extensive medical tests for free, and then organize for other specialists to treat me, who also did it for free.

Egyptians may take an extra pound when they think you can afford it, but when they know things are tough, they will give more willingly than anyone else.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
When you are struggling they will bend over backwards to get you the services and help you need, for free. I have had a doctor come and pick me up from my home because I didn't have anyone to go to the hospital with me and I was in a tough spot, give me extensive medical tests for free, and then organize for other specialists to treat me, who also did it for free.

Egyptians may take an extra pound when they think you can afford it, but when they know things are tough, they will give more willingly than anyone else.

ya salaam, wilhamdulillah [Smile]

This is number 3 and i do not know how to put it in exact words.

Many ES members here are ignorant of this fact. They are oblivious to the love, mercy, kindness that is present in Egyptian Society.

They think 'in the box', they think 'in the gutter',

They dismiss this beautiful fact

[Smile]

Number 3 - [Smile] ya salaam 3ala ahl masr

henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<What about your general experiences in Egypt? Did you feel the kindness?>

I was slapped on my butt during one of my Egypt trips while walking by myself along Tahrir Square.When walking around in Egypt i always dress modestly,loose,long sleeved tunic to my knees paired with jeans. [Roll Eyes] [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my first week in Egypt I already experienced Egyptian kindness. I was invited by the most poorest people of Egyptians - a group of fellaheens. They shared fresh bread and milk with me (yeah it could have really gotten to me but thankfully it didn't) and bedded me on all kinds of blankets they had available. The women made sure I was covered as well (since I was just wearing a bikini) before their husbands arrived. Just very nice people, so friendly, giving and happy despite their hardships in life. We were not really able to communicate but their smiles and food offering said more than thousand words could ever say. Well I am getting carried away here but surely I'll never forget that day. [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is so much kindness in Egypt. People who really are taking trouble to comfort you. People who would spend their last money to give you a present. People who cross the country to help you...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
I understand you Lilly, Being in my other halfs city, They didn't speak English and I have a pitiful knowledge of Arabic but I felt so welcome, by everyone, couldn't ask for more.
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Well I got a real good one and really this is credited to Hosni and Egyptian society. I have to go now though [Frown] wifey wants to watch episode number I don’t know from Lost , it’s the one after … Jack was seen catching a football from Tom, with kate, sa3eed and lock looking on.

Have a lovely evening ES’ers

tisbahu'3ala'khair

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
ok Sobriquet, take care, hi to your wife. we'll wait for next chapter.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The missed call annoyed me for a while, to be honest. Mostly because it was a missed call everyday from EVERYONE in the family and all of my friends....that phone was beeping all day. Now I guess I'm used to it and I can see that for those who cannot afford to call you everyday and sit and talk, it is a sweet gesture, annoying but sweet.

Most touching acts of kindness I have seen in Egypt have been from my husbands' family. His grandfather (very old traditional and proud sort of man) who speaks to me with the translation of my sister in law, inquires as to what I like to eat, what things I'm interested in, etc. One day I mentioned that I loved coconut and he asked if I had any here in Egypt yet. I said no I hadn't just yet. In a fury he stood and called his grandson (my husband) into the room and almost hit him with his cane insisting the husband to get me coconuts and pineapples and anything else I might want. [Eek!] Husband looked at me in shock, and I was trying to compose myself explaining that I hadn't asked for these fruits and he declined - it was simply that I hadn't eaten them yet in Egypt. I don't know why that touched me so much - it just did.

The other thing that really sticks out in my mind was when I was pregnant and SO SICK and my in laws came over and doted over me like I was a newborn baby. My sister in law sat and rubbed my back for like 2 hours straight one night, my husband sat stroking my hair when I was having a high fever and waiting for the paracetamol to kick in, the mother in law came over everday to cook for me and clean, she even fed me. Father in law would come over and bring me lots of water and fruit, bring me more meds, always checking on me.

I remember at one point I felt like my OWN family in the states wouldn't have been this kind. [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:

'Egyptians may take an extra pound when they think you can afford it, but when they know things are tough, they will give more willingly than anyone else.'

This is very well expressed - a thoughtful, balanced view of Egyptian kindness.

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehehe almaz you found it!!!!!!!! hehe well i brought some from home this time but thank you

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's true smucks. when you get sick, everyone rushes to your bedside as if you were dying. the visits can get really annoying if you're the type who just wants to be left alone to sleep, especially the first year when your body is adjusting to the new environment and you get sick a lot, but it's still a really sweet gesture.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

The other thing that really sticks out in my mind was when I was pregnant and SO SICK and my in laws came over and doted over me like I was a newborn baby. My sister in law sat and rubbed my back for like 2 hours straight one night, my husband sat stroking my hair when I was having a high fever and waiting for the paracetamol to kick in, the mother in law came over everday to cook for me and clean, she even fed me. Father in law would come over and bring me lots of water and fruit, bring me more meds, always checking on me.

Wow !! This is more than 'egyptian kindness' if you ask me . It is almost unbelievable but I am verry glad for you. [Smile]
When I was sooooo sick during pregnancy and hugging the toilet all day long, my (belgian) mother in law said : it's all imagination being sick while pregnant [Mad]
I was never sick she said and so u can't be either [Mad]

My own contribution to the topic 'egyptian kindness'
Last day of my trip in Egypt, we did a boattrip (snorkelling-trip) We had to be back at 6 pm, then go to our hotel, take our suitcase and catch the plane.
But bad luck crossed our path ; a few members of the group did not return to the boat (and were still diving or snorkelling) at the agreed moment.
I got nervous and thought ; ok, i will definetely miss the plane !! So I kept going back to the egyptian guy of the boat and he said with a friendly egyptian smile ; don't worry, u will be on time, I promise you ...
I did not believe him at all .... lol
but surprise surprise !!! when we arrived and got off the boat, we could hand in our things as the first ones and more surprise surprise ... another egyptian guy in a mini-bus stood there waiting for us and drove us right back to our hotel.
Soooo kind [Smile] [Smile]

Btw, I like this topic [Razz]

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz
Member # 13525

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too much 'caring' sometimes is annoying for some, and could be perceived as 'imposing' instead of kindness. [Embarrassed]
Some families that are used to do that among Egyptians, want to show their 'hospitality' to foreigners or visitors, but it is not always welcome and it is ok, we learn from each other. [Smile]

Posts: 215 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
I had same experience Desertgirl.

When I was also sick during pregnancy my sis in law and mother in law came and did everything possible in the house, they really are touchy feely and were always stroking my head till I sleep, making sure I was okay without fussing. Whole family are absolute diamonds and the husband the Koh in Noor of all diamonds.
Kindest family I have ever met in my life.

--------------------
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two of my friends came to visit me in Egypt and went off to Dahab on vacation by themselves as I had to work. Well they supposed to be back after a week and when it was time for them to return they didn't and no phone call either. I was very much worried as the terrorist attack infront of the Egyptian Museum just happened at the same time (unfortunately). Two days later they showed up and told me their story. They basically went out of money and couldn't even afford bus tickets back to Cairo anymore. Luckily they met two young Egyptian men who put out the money and didn't want that my girls pay them back. I think that was terrific to hear. I mean it wasn't lot of money but they really were in need and some strangers helped them to get back.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com