EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Egyptian Kindness (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Egyptian Kindness
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desertgirl:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

The other thing that really sticks out in my mind was when I was pregnant and SO SICK and my in laws came over and doted over me like I was a newborn baby. My sister in law sat and rubbed my back for like 2 hours straight one night, my husband sat stroking my hair when I was having a high fever and waiting for the paracetamol to kick in, the mother in law came over everday to cook for me and clean, she even fed me. Father in law would come over and bring me lots of water and fruit, bring me more meds, always checking on me.

Wow !! This is more than 'egyptian kindness' if you ask me . It is almost unbelievable but I am verry glad for you. [Smile]
When I was sooooo sick during pregnancy and hugging the toilet all day long, my (belgian) mother in law said : it's all imagination being sick while pregnant [Mad]
I was never sick she said and so u can't be either [Mad]

My own contribution to the topic 'egyptian kindness'
Last day of my trip in Egypt, we did a boattrip (snorkelling-trip) We had to be back at 6 pm, then go to our hotel, take our suitcase and catch the plane.
But bad luck crossed our path ; a few members of the group did not return to the boat (and were still diving or snorkelling) at the agreed moment.
I got nervous and thought ; ok, i will definetely miss the plane !! So I kept going back to the egyptian guy of the boat and he said with a friendly egyptian smile ; don't worry, u will be on time, I promise you ...
I did not believe him at all .... lol
but surprise surprise !!! when we arrived and got off the boat, we could hand in our things as the first ones and more surprise surprise ... another egyptian guy in a mini-bus stood there waiting for us and drove us right back to our hotel.
Soooo kind [Smile] [Smile]

Btw, I like this topic [Razz]

[Smile] I think different people have different ways of dealing with sickness. Some believe if they 'baby' you too much then your recovery time will be longer and so they push you to be stronger, or something. My mother was the babying type but nothing like my husbands family is. [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
This is something very sweet about Egyptians. It is no secret that the majority of Egyptians have a limited budget. There is this one beautiful and thoughtful act that they do to the people they care and think about. [Smile]

They give you one missed call – no matter where you are in the world and no matter – how long since they last saw you [Smile]

It’s about kindness and letting you know they remember you. You know many of these missed calls personally give me a smile. They are actually thinking about you  How many other peoples you know that do this.

A missed call = Hi [Smile]

Please add other thoughtful things.

i thought the missed call meant "hey im broke, call me"
Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROFL [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I came into this topic late, but just gotta add my 2 cents. Yes, I have run into that ole...egyptian price vs. foreigner price thing. If we hubby, then they get an earful from him, and if alone, I just walk away, and either they come chasing after me offering less, or there is no sale and I go elsewhere.
But as far as kindnesses.
Have a fruit/veggie market that will take things that I have picked out already - take it right out of the bag, go into the bag room and come out with something wonderful. He has advised me that certain grapes are better than others, and he has yet to be wrong.
Have a grocery store woman that hadn't seen me for a while, and when I finally went back to her, she started hugging me and crying. Found out later that she thought that we had left Egypt.
Had a worker's family that lives under one of the buildings up the street, invite us for tea..gave us her chairs, and made us the best damn tea I ever ate.
Family that will insist on my taking the choicest of meat, fruit, whatever, and eat the not so choicest themselves.
Had a waiter in the Sheraton, remember us from the prior year, and showed us that they had recently added crackers next to their soup, which is something that we asked for. Silly stuff, but we love soup..what can I say.
Had a farm wife make us the best damn bread in her oven when she saw that I was fascinated in how she cooked it on a visit to the family farm.
Was invited for tea and dinner by a woman that has a house on the grounds of a museum in Giza.
Showed us all around her house...she had some BEAUTIFUL things, and I guess she could tell that we were interested.
All in all, have had some experiences that make me love Egypt. It outways the crappy drivers, and the dirty air, and any of the inconveniences.
Makes me wanna stay forever.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlobalOne
Member # 13363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GlobalOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Post

Growing up in Egypt, I have witness the genuine kind harts of simple and humble people.

Acts of kinds I will never forget
1- Someone throwing himself in the mediterranean to save me from drowning.
2- Someone (who is not a family member) wakes up @ 2:00 am with our phone call to drive my mom to the hospital and him being there in 10 minutes and staying with us till the morning without expecting anything in return.
3- All my college mates showing up to the hospital to donate blood for my mom whether they were a match or not. they were there to show support and willingness to help.

I can go on and on however you guys were looking for three acts of kindness.

KINDNESS PAYS SO PAY IT FORWARD.

Posts: 176 | From: Proud to be Egyptian | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com