EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Heliopolis overground metro/tram

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heliopolis overground metro/tram
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 5 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found a reference to Heliopolis overground metro on a map and I know I have seen things that look like trams on my way to the airport.
Has anyone got any info on how extensive this network is, how near it gets to the usual metro or other railway system?
When does it run, how frequently etc etc?

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TravelingWriter
Member # 13951

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TravelingWriter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is that tram is painfully slow. You would get there faster in a wheel-chair. ha

--------------------
"I will not pay you 1 pound for parking until you prove you own this street."

Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oldbag, please if you want to avoid hassle, use a cab to and from the airport.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TravelingWriter:
All I know is that tram is painfully slow. You would get there faster in a wheel-chair. ha

HAHAAHHAHAHA!

I agree.

You might also find out that one of your teeth has gone loose after a ride in one of those.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The overground metro is quite extensive, not sure how much so as I have only taken it a short distance once. It is very old and rattly, but it is cheap (about 25 piasters) and I know that the one from Nasr City goes to Roxy in Heliopolis. Sorry that's the extent of my overground metro knowledge [Frown]
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Oldbag, please if you want to avoid hassle, use a cab to and from the airport.

This wasn't about cabs from the airport, I have a possibility for some freelance work when I finally get my butt over there and the company's office has just relocated there. I might need to go there quite a lot so can't afford to cab it all the time.

Just for info, I got from the airport to 6th October for 4LE in June - bus from airport to Tahrir = 1LE, + metro to Giza = 1LE + microbus = 2LE.

Only cost 2LE to get back but that's because my friends gave me a lift to Giza to get the 2LE bus to the airport [Wink]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feel love
Member # 13537

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Feel love   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,its impossible to cross all these distance from 6 of october to Heliopolis every day if the company is cool you should relocated around it (traffic is horrible).

--------------------
Kata

Posts: 211 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump - anyone new know where there might be a map of the tram system?
Egy_mada
Member # 11992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egy_mada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oldbag, forget about the heliopolis tram system, you can stay all theday in the tram before you reach your destination.
Only oldparents and school students using it to avoid the hassle of microbus and buses.
but they start their trip 6am to move within heliopolis area.
It is damn slow, anything can stop it (Electricity cut, Car on the line, driver mood ...etc.)

Posts: 55 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

bump - yeh I found it and used it [Big Grin]

Entrance near Ramses Station for a tram to Heliopolis Roxy. Not sure where else it goes, or if there is more than one destination. Further investigations to be undertaken [Big Grin]

It takes 15 mins from Ramses to Roxy and cost 25pst.

cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, OB!!! I salute your persistence in finding out all these things. Now you will need to write a book!

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com