EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What if......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What if......
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.... a Muslim eats openly during the day on a street in Cairo or somewhere else in Egypt during Ramadan?

What kind of consequences would it have for him?

Would he get assaulted by on-lookers? Would he get arrested by the police?

How would people react watching someone eating while everyone else is fasting?

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
.... a Muslim eats openly during the day on a street in Cairo or somewhere else in Egypt during Ramadan?

What kind of consequences would it have for him?

Would he get assaulted by on-lookers? Would he get arrested by the police?

How would people react watching someone eating while everyone else is fasting?

Nothing would happen because Egypt has approximately 10% Copts and they are not obliged to fast. The thing is Lilly the discomfort is one of self conscious and i experienced this today, when i was talking to a new Christian friend on campus. He wanted to eat something but he felt uncomfortable because Muslims were around and i tried to persuade him to go about his business and eat his snack but he just couldn't. He probably went outside and ate behind some bushes or trees or whatever. The rule in some Middle Eastern countries is don't eat in public buildings or in public transportation.

However there are some Muslim countries where if you are caught (if you are a Muslim that is) eating, drinking, smoking the punishment is imprisonment for the duration of Ramadan and a fine as well.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you know when I lived in Cairo and it was Ramadan I made sure I wasn't caught with anything to eat or to drink on the street - not even a chewing gum in my mouth just out of respect and also to avoid any kind of confrontation. Since I look very much foreigner people wouldn't have mind probably anyway but for me it was just better to play safe.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Well you know when I lived in Cairo and it was Ramadan I made sure I wasn't caught with anything to eat or to drink on the street - not even a chewing gum in my mouth just out of respect and also to avoid any kind of confrontation. Since I look very much foreigner people wouldn't have mind probably anyway but for me it was just better to play safe.

You see I don’t agree that non-Muslims should conceal eating or drinking. That’s me though because it just doesn’t bother me. However your concerns might have been warranted and this also depends on which area you are in. Some Muslims take great offence and some who are ignorant or belligerent might make an issue out of it. Personally I have never seen more hostility during Ramadan as I have seen in Egypt. Especially during traffic jams the profanity and cussing at other drivers was a little too much. I guess those are the nicotine addicts.
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I am a Muslim, but I cannot fast due to a health problem. I don't flaunt my eating or drinking in anyone's face - just seems like the polite thing to do, and to be kind to the people around that are fasting.
Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't bother me when ppl eat and drink in front of me while I'm fasting. It's not the inability to eat or drink that gets me during Ramadan. It's the having my sleep schedule totally thrown off that bothers me most.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a really sick Muslim, who should *not* be fasting, yet he does? Does anyone say anything to him?
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pressure makes diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no om bubblemouth i had in alot of friends who were sick or ill and we didn't have a problem having them drinking hot drinks at work to make them feel better
you fast for god not for people to watch you

in fact lily there is alot of cafes like costa and others in city starts and city center operate and work normal during ramdan fasting hours and have pepole there all time not as much but there is
now one will ask you your id to check if you muslim or no before u can order a drink

now lets have another question and ask
how would u be fasting while you cursing and treating others like ****
and when any one say wtf what you saying man
he would say
alhom ma 2ny sa2em
or so help me god iam fasting
lol
thats quite funny i see it every day on taxi and mini buses drivers

amr

--------------------
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend.
-- Zenna Schaffer
Some folks are wise and some otherwise.
-- Josh Billings

Posts: 1499 | From: Dark Side of the Moon | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This man is fasting, even though he is ill. He passes out during prayers. But won't stop fasting. [Frown] Would anyone speak up to him to encourage him to look after his health?
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pressure makes diamonds
Member # 14028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pressure makes diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
om bubblemouth

if he can read this
i would say my dear brother i know that you wanna fast and you even wana die in ramdan fasting to please our god and go striagth to heaven
but think about it this way if god told us we can break out fasting when we are sick for reason
maybe if you take care about your health and all went well you might be able to help others give fedia
feed people who need its all same swab
please take care of your health so you keep doing right things in life and help others feed others in ramdan
and inshalah god accept it all from you
remember god knows whats in your heart
and there is many ways to express your love for god other then fasting if your ill
god bless you and wish alll the best
amr

--------------------
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and you get rid of him all weekend.
-- Zenna Schaffer
Some folks are wise and some otherwise.
-- Josh Billings

Posts: 1499 | From: Dark Side of the Moon | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Om Bubblemouth:
This man is fasting, even though he is ill. He passes out during prayers. But won't stop fasting. [Frown] Would anyone speak up to him to encourage him to look after his health?

Please tell this person, that the argument offered by muslim physicians (or physicians familiar with muslim communities) regarding this issue (ie brittle diabetics, various other health reason, which each individual must consult with their physician about) that religion is not meant to make life harder (please don't point to the philosophical arguments of this statement) and it is actually i err on using this word 'haram' to do this if it specifically says not to do so if you are sick--in which you are actually harming your health (which is wrong, since you're not appreciating the value of your health). I've actually heard a scholar comment on this saying that you're actually doing something that is not preferred by fasting when you are ill or not supposed to, since you are affecting your health in a negative way and making religion alot let less merciful than it really is. There are alternatives, ie feeding the poor, mentioning g-d's name 33x (like people do with prayer beads), etc...

If this person has any doubts, please advise them to ask a muslim doctor if that can perhaps put their fears at ease, who can provide actual evidence from quran, hadeeths, islamic scholar's commentaries, etc...

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crisálida
Member # 13923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for crisálida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mother War:
It doesn't bother me when ppl eat and drink in front of me while I'm fasting. It's not the inability to eat or drink that gets me during Ramadan. It's the having my sleep schedule totally thrown off that bothers me most.

I can relate to this Mother War!

I get so tired after i break my fast, and have had a headache all day, I went to bed at 9.30! feeling rough.

Got up at 1 am, couldnt sleep, dehydrated, so ive now done the housework and baked cookies, i'm nice and full now so i'll go back to sleep for a couple of hours! lol

Posts: 644 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
I guess those are the nicotine addicts.

Oh gosh, Sobriquet, you are right! I think not to eat and drink during daytime is kind of to handle for Muslims but if someone has a serious addiction to cigarettes (and many do) - wow this must be really hard for them to manage right now ....
cairogirl
Member # 1437

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband is a serious nicotine addict yet when Ramadan comes it doesn't seem to bother him that much. Which I guess confirms the idea that many addictions are psychological rather than physical.
Posts: 49 | From: egypt | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

I share the same sentiments as MW and Wanderer because sleep is vital to my happiness and Ramadan like MW took that away from me. However the past 2 days with today being the 3rd, things have turned for the better. My sleep during Ramadan is now officially 6 hours per day. Normally this would distress me but considering it is Ramadan I am more than happy to accept this arrangement. I made it to my first class today and life is once again a joy for me.

The friends I made the past few days on campus have given me life and I look forward to seeing them daily. This speaks volumes of how much I missed conversing with guys and gals who are totally kewl and ppl i know will most probably be a part of my social life while here. [Smile] Sheeesh you guys don't know how long i waited to here things like 'what are you doing tonight', etc, etc.

Alhamdulillah I am once again alive during Ramadan. The first few days it was agony on top of agony and I thought that was how Ramadan would remain.

I would be so annoyed by those who were so lively during the day. I am not lively 100% percent but at least I am a functioning human being now who is able to think, ask and answer questions and I owe this to sleep. September 28 the time will be moved back/forward (whatever) and the fast will end one hour sooner AND on top of that the weather is expected to drop from high 80’s to low 80’s and high 70’s next week. This will further simplify my disposition.

Ramadan Kareem [Smile] [Yes I can finally smile now] [Smile]

LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have konafa lazeeza khales fil tallaga that I'm dying not to think of now

almost half hour left

Damn

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by LaZeeZ:

almost half hour left

Damn

Bon appetit [Smile]

I went to the pastry section in the supermarket today and bought : ‘Atayef with stuffed almonds + ‘Warabi’ (arab pastry) + ‘petit fore’ (assortment of cookies that have everything from pistachios to coconut to chocolate to other delicious stuff)

26 minutes and counting ..... [Smile]

LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

almost half hour left

Damn

Bon appetite [Smile]

I went to the pastry section in the supermarket today and bought : ‘Atayef with stuffed almonds + ‘Warabi’ (arab pastry) + ‘petit fore’ (assortment of cookies that have everything from pistachios to coconut to chocolate to other delicious stuff)

Guess what am I smelling now???

Mooolokhiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

shaklaha keda molokhia bel gambary

ya ro7y ya ro7y

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
quote:
quote:

almost half hour left

Damn

Bon appetite [Smile]

Guess what am I smelling now???

Mooolokhiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

shaklaha keda molokhia bel gambary

ya ro7y ya ro7y

Sahatain wa 3afeya

That sounds sooooooooo delicious. [Smile]

I gotz to go because it is ON

[Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com