EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » New Year's Eve

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Year's Eve
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any festivities in Cairo for New Year's Eve?
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember anything when I was there for New Year's Eve last year but probably the hotels near the Nile would have something going on? When I went Eid was the bigger celebration.
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only organized state festivity that I recall was the Aida opera that was performed at the pyramids to mark the new millennia back in 2000. Other than that there really isn’t anything and even that was primarily for the wealthy with pricey tickets.

Most expats with contractual work fly home for the holidays and the ones that remain manage to celebrate at hotels, pubs, private parties. Celebrations in a general sense are non existent – there isn’t an official countdown center where people congregate and party.

Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are, but they're very expensive.

quote:
Originally posted by Exiled:
Celebrations in a general sense are non existent – there isn’t an official countdown center where people congregate and party.

Sadly this is true.
Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VB, why don't you hold your own New Year's party and invite some of us! [Big Grin] I think it would be great fun!!! [Smile] (notice I didn't suggest to do so myself, like who the hell would travel out to Shebin for that??)
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
quote:
Celebrations in a general sense are non existent – there isn’t an official countdown center where people congregate and party.

Sadly this is true.
I can't imagine this in Egypt ever to happen!!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiled
Member # 14410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
There are, but they're very expensive.

quote:

Sadly this is true.
This is one of the aspects about Middle Eastern nations that annoy me. It’s an extortionist mentality where the thinking is if someone could afford to celebrate New Years then they could afford to pay the exorbitant price tag.
Posts: 2418 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
VB, why don't you hold your own New Year's party and invite some of us! [Big Grin] I think it would be great fun!!! [Smile] (notice I didn't suggest to do so myself, like who the hell would travel out to Shebin for that??)

If i was in Egypt by that time,i would travel to join you in Shebin,Smuckers. [Cool]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea well it wouldn't be a very fun party at my place, pin the tail on the ES member, non-alcholic beer and lots of pizza and cake. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like cake. [Smile]

And Pizza! chop chop Smucky! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Yea well, between you and me Alchemist I have a feeling VB is going to spike my pizza with some "special zaatar". [Mad]
Alchemist
Member # 12318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alchemist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No No Smucky, that's the BROWNIES. [Cool]

ATTENTION! Everyone at the party steer clear of VB's brownies!

Smucky! Stop trying to sneak over there! [Embarrassed] [Razz]

Posts: 1879 | From: Going to Graceland | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

DARN IT she caught me. [Razz]
I hear VB makes a mean spicy Calzone. [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com