EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Pharmacy Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pharmacy Question
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband is on his way to the pharmacist now but does anyone know if the pharmacists there carry adavan? He has never flown before and that fear on top of the stress of leaving his family is really starting to choke him so I think if he gets some adavan and takes it just for the next week it would help a LOT. Any suggestions or anyone know the answer to the pharmacy situation?
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how about sanax? or that stuff they sell in the pharmacies for flying, its suppose to calm you down,
dramamine. i think my hubby will need it too [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave him three names to show the pharmacist and xanax is one of them so inshallah they'll have it. dramamine will be good but this is mostly anxiety of leaving his family for the first time and flying for the first time. I know I'd be all freaked out and in need of adavan. Heck I need it just to fly to Florida and I've flown tons of times!
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think that anti anxiety drugs are really necessary for one plane trip? I dunno, it seems extreme to me.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Oh most definitely necessary especially for someone who has never flown. He's sick now over it and it's a week away. If he weren't already showing symptoms I would never suggest it but the fear of flying is nothing to shake a stick at though I guess if you've never experienced it it's hard to relate to.
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I guess so. I never had a fear of flying. My husband never exhibited any fears besides the fact that he wouldn't be able to smoke for 10 hrs. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CheezyPoof:
Yeah I guess so. I never had a fear of flying. My husband never exhibited any fears besides the fact that he wouldn't be able to smoke for 10 hrs. [Big Grin]

omg thats my husband too. its 12 hours without a cigarette [Big Grin] i did and so he has too haha
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

I can't even imagine going for that long without a cigarette when I used to smoke. Thank God I don't have to deal with that anymore. My husband's flight is I think 5 hours and then a break and then 8 hours. I'll have a lighter ready for him! lol.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
his flight has no stops [Big Grin] but i will have my lighter ready too.i told him to have a shot when he gets on the plane and a beer , but he doesn't drink [Big Grin] . i said then do what you do best, sleep the whole way and eat [Big Grin] [Razz]
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

My husband bought a duty free carton of Marlboros in flight and then bummed a light at JFK during his layover. He wasn't wasting any time. [Big Grin]
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you all tell them to get a nicotine patch or one of those inhalers with nicotine.
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

My husband doesn't want to quit. He truly enjoys smoking.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:

same here cheezy poof [Big Grin] i think we are married to twins
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

[Big Grin]
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my hubby was a big smoker...and his big ole heart attack on March 1st, followed by a quad bi-pass, did it for him !
now if only I could stop !

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

oh wow jean that's horrible. I hope he's ok!!!

It was a no go on the meds. That type of stuff you need a doctor for. I wasn't sure since they can get other stuff without a script.

FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I meant for their long plane rides, not for them to quit.
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
my hubby was a big smoker...and his big ole heart attack on March 1st, followed by a quad bi-pass, did it for him !
now if only I could stop !

Sorry to hear that, JB!! [Frown]

I stopped smoking as soon as I found out I was pregnant with baby no.1; I was not a regular smoker. Strangely whenever I went out to a pub after couple of beers I'd tell people 'pass me one over, please'! And I truly don't miss nothing now, not the cigarettes not even the beers!! [Wink]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he is just ducky now. Luckily there is an absolutely wonderful hospital here in our area, that specializes in hearts, and they are associated with the Cleveland Clinic in the states.
Top notch docs with great nursing staff, ICU, etc.
highly recommended hospital, IMHO...and for a bunch of other stuff too...physical therapy, diabetes, orthopedic, liver.
If anyone needs a great hospital...highly recommend this place, and I am a picky broad when it comes to hospitals here.
website is...http://www.daralfouad.org/home_en.asp

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev08
Member # 14964

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive been flying since 1978 and I still panic, get scared, hate it .....really hate it...... but I love getting to the destinations -

--------------------
free palestine

Posts: 346 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreignluvr
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreignluvr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really surprised you can't get the anxiety drugs otc in Egypt.

Doodle, did he also ask about valium? I do know in Jordan valium can be bought over the counter but xanax cannot.

anyway, I hope he has a safe flight and isn't too anxious.

--------------------
"And in the end, the love we take will be equal to the love we make."
~The Beatles~

Posts: 895 | From: Atlanta, GA. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

quote:
Originally posted by foreignluvr:
I am really surprised you can't get the anxiety drugs otc in Egypt.

Doodle, did he also ask about valium? I do know in Jordan valium can be bought over the counter but xanax cannot.

anyway, I hope he has a safe flight and isn't too anxious.

He asked for xanax, ativan and lorazepan and the guy just LOOKED at him and said no. Then when he asked why he said it's on a list of drugs that you need a doctor's note for. He didn't ask for valium but I'm assuming that's the same answer. I'm going to tell him to get benadryl and to take than an hour before takeoff. I seriously wanted him to take this starting now though just to take the edge off of all that is going on emotionally but oh well. He's having a tough time of it leaving his family but I think once he gets here he'll be ok. It's just the wait is all. Kind of like ripping off a bandaid really really slooooowly, you know?
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you use to be able to get xanax without a problem. i think now you need to either have a friend or be a foreigner, but there's local equivalent they sell - or so i'm told.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com