EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » for westerns living in egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: for westerns living in egypt
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do u feel in ramadan?
ps no attacks abt any facts in the religion ,just what u feel is enough thnx

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI e7,well i can say i could not observe ramadan i don't have the willpower if i were muslimah that is , however i do admire those of you that do [Smile]
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't fell any thing about Ramadan....I am not a follower of Islam.

I do provide meals for many people who have no families, several times during Ramadan. These people being invited via Mr PC as he follows Islam

One thing that I have witnessed during the past 3 Ramadans I have been here...that the people who live around the area of my apartment sleep through out the day, and stay up all night [Confused]

I thought people were to carry out their normal routine during the day, and not sleep through day if they do not normally do that [Confused]

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egypt 2007
Member # 14398

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egypt 2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ya,,,, never been to egypt during Ramadan but will let you know when i get back during the middle of September.... Im looking forward to it to be honest the pray calling gives me a sort of warm feeling... cant explain why but a muslim guy at my work says go with the flow and see how things work and feel. Not sure if i can or feel it right to fast as not being muslim but my future husband will be more tham pleased if i do try.. Im sure the celebrations thing will be nice - happy people, etc
Posts: 306 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo Ning Min E
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo Ning Min E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it kinda loneley actually.It is a time for families.
I do try to observe a bit of fasting, maybe totally in first and last week, [I know, i'm weak] just for a sense of solidarity really.Not eating is easy, but I cannot eat all that food at night, so end up pretty skinny.I wish most Egyptians i know didn't try to sleep through it, feels like cheating to me, and I'm sure 'come the day' questions will be asked, names will be taken!
However, I see many acts of great kindness, and wonderful to see the people handing out dates, and the free food tables everywhere.
think it may be a tough one this year, it has been SO hot [and humid too!] even here in Alex.

Posts: 1399 | From: alexandria | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zaphirelee
Member # 11074

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphirelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I find it lonely too. I actually was not eating or drinking during the work day but not being Muslim I didn't realize that if you are sick you don't have to fast. One particular day I just started shaking and someone came in and forced coffee with extra sugar on me.
I have been told by some people that it is bad manners to eat or drink during the fast in public. Then another Egyptian comes along and gets annoyed that I was told this.

Posts: 153 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Ramadan when I was living in Egypt. Apart from a few that were bad tempered due to not having a cigarette, I found everybody was being nicer to each other.... inviting friends to breakfast etc. The only problem in Hurghada was... I finished work just at breakfast time.... I couldn't find a bus to take me home... there don't seem to be too many Christian bus drivers.
I was in Cairo one ramadan... the atmosphere was much nicer than Hurghada.

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleeping through the day is indeed cheating. I can't believe people do that I swear.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
Sleeping through the day is indeed cheating. I can't believe people do that I swear.

You don't seem to believe a lot I say......But when writing any thing on here it is the truth and my experience.

During the day it is so peaceful at Ramadan, on a normal day the traffic and the hustle and bustle is deafening

Come and see for yourself

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pink cherry why r u sensitive from what 7ayat posted ,she didnt say anything against u at least in this post,anyway thnx 4 ur comments abt ramadan

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PC I think 7ayat was just saying she doesn't agree that they should sleep all day, not that she didn't believe it. She lived in Egyptian (as an Egyptian girl) for most of her life. [Wink]

I agree with you though, many do change their behavior and sleep most of the day away, and are up all night (dear lord the children are out in the streets playing and shooting toy guns until 2:00 a.m.). I don't understand it personally because I can't sleep when I'm very hungry, it's difficult. I find that usually Egyptians love to throw themselves into bed after eating - isn't that bad for you?

Ok, back on topic, I don't think I've come to the point where I feel an overwhelming amount of belief anymore than usual during Ramadan, other than reading Quran more, trying to remember what the holiday and observance is really all about, etc. I know this might sound strange, but I think I got more out of it in the states when I observed Ramadan before coming to Egypt. I don't know why, perhaps because my schedule was different back then. [Confused] I do enjoy the Ramadan here and seeing the children having a good time and getting nice new things (although I do wish they would retire to bed earlier).

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pink cherry:
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:

You don't seem to believe a lot I say......But when writing any thing on here it is the truth and my experience.

During the day it is so peaceful at Ramadan, on a normal day the traffic and the hustle and bustle is deafening

Come and see for yourself

Yes and I was agreeing with you. I've lived in Egypt for 25 years and I know very well that people are lazy and sleep through the day.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mkhasen
Member # 15388

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mkhasen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually eat my dinner between 6 pm - 7 pm throught a year. And I don't cook at home but mostly eat outside. During the Ramadan, I have to change my routine, cause i can't get into any of the restaurants during these hours. That's inconvinient.

Also, many people become lazy. My Egyptian partners and co-workers find another excuse not to show up at the scheduled meetings or for being late because of Ramadan.

Posts: 19 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianLiving*Com
Member # 15738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianLiving*Com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and they get excuses to leave earlier [Razz]

--------------------
www.egyptianliving.com

Posts: 121 | From: www.egyptianliving.com | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

So some people do not take it seriously.... Just making a mockery of Ramadan.

I thought normal life should continue during fasting [Confused]

EgyptianLiving*Com
Member # 15738

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianLiving*Com     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well you can understand people leaving work earlier - to get home in time for Iftaar.

But normal working routine should carry on- but it is very hard - especially waking up b4 dawn and then going back to sleep after - you really feel that when its time to wake up again and start the day.

--------------------
www.egyptianliving.com

Posts: 121 | From: www.egyptianliving.com | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimberley
Member # 5179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimberley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dosen't effect me here in the UK it neither effects my husband as no not alot fast here shame
Posts: 206 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com