EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » The banned book "Inside Egypt" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The banned book "Inside Egypt"
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:

As long as there are enough men succussfull in what they earn and how, there will be imitators. ....

I'm still a bit skeptical about the scale of it though. I wonder if the author misinterpreted a metaphor for literal meaning. It's not uncommon in Egyptian slang to say three quarters of something is so and so. It doesn't at all mean that it is actually 3 out of 4, it's just an expression to indicate a large number.
Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May be you're right RN. There could be a bit of exaggeration here, yet when 3/4 can't be 1/4.
Even 1/4 is scary!

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ngeg:
May be you're right RN. There could be a bit of exaggeration here, yet when 3/4 can't be 1/4.
Even 1/4 is scary!

I agree, although 10% is probably within normal bounds. However, the sugardady thing I find very hard to believe, especially in Sa'id (upper Egypt). I'm probably in denial here! Quite depressing, not to mention disgusting!
Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The author was talking about Luxor. Never have been there, but it seems to be the worsest place regarding this subject. My personal theory is that it is the oldest place for mass-tourism in Egypt, and untill the gouvernment noticed what was going on there (or has been pressured by foreign embassies)it was too late. Same counts for Hurghada. Seems the relatively 'new' tourist area's are not like this. They select the staff working there, and they keep an eye on it.
So, the oldest area's are too rotten to make it change anyway.
And indeed, I agree, the gay-scene to me also sounds unbelievable. But, isn't the fact only that there ís a gay-scene in such a small place, specially in upper-Egypt, unbelievable?

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
quote:
And indeed, I agree, the gay-scene to me also sounds unbelievable. But, isn't the fact only that there ís a gay-scene in such a small place, specially in upper-Egypt, unbelievable?

Absolutely!
I've been to Luxor once many years ago, in the last century actually (even millinium! I'm showing my age now, lol) and it didn't have a hint of that. We went with uni, back then most of the tourists were in guided groups, no individuals as far as I can remember. In Aswan, we were in the night club and some Egyptian guy (not with us) tried to get friendly with a tourist and the secret police were about to arrest him, only the pleas of the young woman saved him. She didn't know him but took pity on him. So things were under control, or so it seemed at least.
As for Sharm, I went there camping with my friends not too long after it's been liberated. There was only one hotel there, I think called Marina Sharm which seemed sort of disposable [Smile] , for the lack of a better term. In Noweba (spelling?) we camped right on the beach, a few feet from the water! At the time the Taba issue was not yet resolved.
As for Hurghada, first time I went there, there was only a lovely place called Magawish out of town and maybe the Sheraton (can't remember). The next time I went only a few years later there was another place called Arabeya. From what I read around here, it seems things have changed completely, and unfortunately not in the right direction (in my view).

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The author was talking about Luxor. Never have been there, but it seems to be the worsest place regarding this subject. My personal theory is that it is the oldest place for mass-tourism in Egypt, and untill the gouvernment noticed what was going on there (or has been pressured by foreign embassies)it was too late. Same counts for Hurghada. Seems the relatively 'new' tourist area's are not like this. They select the staff working there, and they keep an eye on it.
So, the oldest area's are too rotten to make it change anyway.

You have never been to Luxor? [Eek!]
Ive been there only once for the moment,and that was 3 years ago,but i was too busy visiting their historical treasures to remember if i saw any gay tourism or locals into it around,as the book mentions.
The author even mentions that Luxor has been touted as Egypt´s Sin City many long years ago.
I cannot vow to this,really.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm not there as a tourist, but to visit my friend! At least, most of the time. I have been to the Red Sea for a couple of times for sun, sand and sea!
Luxor is for sin, sand and sun! [Razz]

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, I'm not there as a tourist, but to visit my friend! At least, most of the time. I have been to the Red Sea for a couple of times for sun, sand and sea!
Luxor is for sin, sand and sun! [Razz]

Luxor is extremely important to anyone truly interested in Egypt's pharaonic past,and it has often been called the worlds greatest open air museum.Citing here: "The number and preservation of the monuments in the Luxor area are unparalleled anywhere else in the world that know of." [Cool]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
quote:
Well, I'm not there as a tourist, but to visit my friend! [Razz]

Luxor is extremely important to anyone truly interested in Egypt's pharaonic past,and it has often been called the worlds greatest open air museum.
Very true, I have been to Luxor a couple of months ago, and the amount of sightseeing I did there didn't give me much time or energy left to really notice the whole 3/4 thing. It's such a amazing, hostorically rich place. And I've never felt that friendliness and warmth in any other place I've been to.
Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coco
Member # 16208

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI I purchased "Inside Egypt" from the AUC Bookstore at the recent International Book Fair....
Posts: 30 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, can I borrow it please...
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coco
Member # 16208

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure LF, will let you know when I have finished it and we can arrange to meet
Posts: 30 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Coco:
FYI I purchased "Inside Egypt" from the AUC Bookstore at the recent International Book Fair....

Hey Coco, I'm sure the thread was too long to follow. It was mentioned that it's sold at the AUC bookstore soemwhere.

So, what do u think of it?

Coco
Member # 16208

Rate Member
I probabbly missed it somewhere in the long thread! To be honest I bought so many books that day I haven't got round to reading it yet, but will let you have my opinion when I do
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com