EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Advice on getting a Schengan Visitor Visa (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Advice on getting a Schengan Visitor Visa
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Egyptian husband is going for his application for a Schengan visa as we want to go to Italy on holiday. He has had two British visas previously so we are hoping it is going to be easy but I would be very grateful for any advice/experience.

I have
travel insurance
flight bookings
hotel confirmations
self employment/business details
1000 Euros
his and hers banks statements

any other ideas

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
messenger
Member # 15059

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for messenger         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1000 euros!!!!!!! I thought you're rich [Confused]

Come on be generous and give the guy a couple of more thousands [Big Grin]

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane, as I know the rules for visas are more or less same everywhere, I can say those documents are enough. Especialy previous UK visas will help a lot. If he is a member of some clubs, associations etc.. you may also put his membership card' copies.

Good luck [Smile]

Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by current:
1000 euros!!!!!!! I thought you're rich [Confused]

Come on be generous and give the guy a couple of more thousands [Big Grin]

lol [Big Grin]

The embassy said he needed 600 Euros in travellers cheques so we got 1000 to be on the safe side.

It is such a pain going down to Cairo from Luxor so we need to know if there is anything we might have forgotten

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not the amount itsselve, they have to see that this cannot be a one-off discharge in order to get a visa. They might ask the bankaccount-notes from the last six months.
Off topic: Italy is expensive. I don't know what you need to pay from that thousand euro's,and how long you will stay there, but for two persons it is nót much! Low budget is € 40,- p/p a day. If you need to sleep in hotels, eat in restaurants, visit a museum etc. then it's € 100,- á € 150 each person par day.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Yes we have 6 months of my bank statements and his bank book showing the last 2 years

Actually the budget for the whole holiday is lots more than that we are just expected to have that much in travellers cheques

I have got this great deal for hotels, tours, transfers etc through an ex guest who is a travel agent. That schedule is part of the application

Has anyone got a Schengan that can give input

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
to Italy on holiday

My hubby is there right now. Tell him to stay away from Naples- it's a dump!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Don't tell me that [Frown] Mahmoud and I are doing Rome, Florence and Venice together and then I wanted to go on my own to Naples and see Pompeii and herculeum
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahh Jane dont worry, they give these visas out to anyone, the hard part was the UK one and hes done that! [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
ahh Jane don't worry, they give these visas out to anyone, the hard part was the UK one and hes done that! [Big Grin]

I am hoping that is true I am so looking forward to a gondolier ride, I told him it is like a felucca [Big Grin]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
ahh Jane don't worry, they give these visas out to anyone, the hard part was the UK one and hes done that! [Big Grin]

I am hoping that is true I am so looking forward to a gondolier ride, I told him it is like a felucca [Big Grin]
yeah with no sail so the guy has to row [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you love the Italian icecream, you háve to visit Gelateria della Palma, Via della Magdalena 20. Its near to the Piazza Navona and sells over a hundred different flavours, all housemade.They have a second shop at the Piazza di Fontana di Trevi and even one in New York!
The Italians are famouse ice-makers, and most families use their own family-recipes, which are often kept in the family for ages.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNSv7MCLjdY

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hijack but do you have to apply individually for each country or does this visa cover all European countries
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
It covers all Euro countries but unlike the British visa it is for each individual trip. The British visa is easier as it is for 6 months to 10 years but the schengen has to be for a date to a date and only 3 months before. But!!!! when we applied it was a 3 month delay to get a interview. We had to phone up every day, 2le a minute to get a cancellation

--------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
And within that time you are free to visit other Schengen-countries. When you have a visa for Italy, you can also travel from Italy to France, Germany, Belgium etc.
That's why it is so tricky. They can go to Rome, and from there disappear to one of the other countries and stay there illegal. There are no border-controlls within these countries.

--------------------

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
But why not let you apply 6 months or year in advance so you can plan. It is a bugger with a holiday panned 30th May and we don't have a interview until 27th April even thought we applied 13th March, 3 months in advanced. If we had known there was a waiting list for interviews we would have applied earlier

--------------------

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
I don't know Italy's policy in case of visa. For my own country, it depends on who, where, what. In my expierence they give visa for one month for a few times, and when this didn't bring problems, they give them a visa for one year.

--------------------

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby is here in uk now. I just wondered what would happen if we wanted to go to say Spain for a week's holiday? Thanks for info ashkar.
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:
to Italy on holiday

My hubby is there right now. Tell him to stay away from Naples- it's a dump!! [Big Grin]
have u been to naples? i was there last year
Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I have not been to Naples only to the Bergamo area and that was years ago. Very lovely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_area

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:

That's why it is so tricky. They can go to Rome, and from there disappear to one of the other countries and stay there illegal. There are no border-controlls within these countries.

Why do such a thing ? Why do you assume they'll do that ? [Confused]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
They can get a job somewhere else in the EU, often the (Egyptian) entrepeneurs know each other, and they earn money from it. Secondly, the police can't trace them anymore when they are in another country.
Usually, when they get caught, the immigrationservices rarely puts an illegal on the plane with a one way ticket home. They put them in jail for a short while, and then he gets released. Of course, the illegal can't go back to where he came from, because the police will keep an eye on that place.
So, the former boss contacts his business-relationships and places the illegal in another country for some time, depends on th circumstances.
The financial agreements have to go on, so also for this they have to find a deal.
It's a network...

--------------------

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
I dont think Jane or her hubby want to bugger off to Europe and get a job as an illegal though, they have too much here in Egypt [Roll Eyes] Honestly, talk about changing topics mid flow [Wink]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again..who said they're going to do such a silly thing and get caught, they might work and live happily ever after..they should try Malta or Slovakia.
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
quote:

Why do such a thing ? Why do you assume they'll do that ? [Confused]
They are not the only ones that make assumptions which is why it is so hard to get a visa. We have just opened our 4th building, now 20 flats so why should we want to go anywhere.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Jane but I just have an image now of you two escaping to Italy, and your hubby with a job punting a gondolier round Venice...I mean what else do you want a VISA for [Razz]
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane: Have nice holiday , make sure that the travel insurance covers health insurance as well, I am sure in the French embassy they ask for the health insurance as separate Item, make sure to have valid relevant documents that he is planning to go back to live in Ehypt ( owing the business in Egypt sometimes is not enough )
If you are going to go to Florence then make sure to visit Pisa , I believe that it took me less than one hour by train from Pisa to Florence, Pisa needed to be seen at night time when they have the lights on the Tower and the palace..etc
Italy also have strange train system , you book the ticket for the train but you need to make separate booking for the seat ,,so make sure to make booking for the seat as well , it has some extra cost.. ( I had to go one day to Vience standing on one foot in a train for 4 hours) the trains are very crowded as well) also if you are not smoker then make sure to stay away from the smoking compartment , (I have been from Rome to Pisa in smoking compartment for almost 3.5 hours and was very bad experience) they have complicated train system so make sure to choose the right train.

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Thanks SLM that is really helpful

I have planned a trip to Pisa as part of the holiday but had not idea about it being lit at night

the travel company are booking train tickets for us but that is a really useful tip.

We have return flight bookings so that should be ok

Mahmoud is a smoker and I am not, I think the train journey might be a challenge to one or other of us. If you are in a non smoker could you go along and have a smoke?

--------------------

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
quote:
I dont think Jane or her hubby want to bugger off to Europe and get a job as an illegal though, they have too much here in Egypt [Roll Eyes] Honestly, talk about changing topics mid flow [Wink]

Sorry, now I see the last words in Dzosser's sentence: why do you assume they'll do that. Well, of course I didn't assume that. I wouldn't give touristic tips about gelateria's if I assumed they would have planned to stay there, of course. I misunderstood, thought that Dzosser was talking about people who are staying in EU illegal.

BTW:And within that time you are free to visit other Schengen-countries. When you have a visa for Italy, you can also travel from Italy to France, Germany, Belgium etc.

With THEY I didn't mean Akshar and her husband, but the people who go to another country by Italy. That's where immigration-services are concerned for!

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
But they can still eat gelateria's and stay illegally in EU.. [Confused]
Now why bring this illegal thing up here anyway ?

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
quote:
But they can still eat gelateria's and stay illegally in EU.. [Confused]
Now why bring this illegal thing up here anyway ?

Because it is part of getting a visa; you have to avoid that immigration might think so.
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Sorry Jane but I just have an image now of you two escaping to Italy, and your hubby with a job punting a gondolier round Venice...I mean what else do you want a VISA for [Razz]

ROFL [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane , return ticket is not enough proof that he will return back to Egypt, not sure what he needs in his case to prove that.
I believe that smokers can go leave non smoking cars to go to smoking area to smoke .
Pisa is fantastic at night time , they lit it at night time and you can spot the lighting from distance and you will that you are in ferry tale , also during the day time you you can visit ( I think 4 attractions including the tower ) you can buy one ticket for each of them or one ticket for all of them which will be cheaper like that )
In Vience , I think you buy thicket like the one day travel card , unless they have changed the system and you can go from the train station the main square as much as you want ,, or you can by individual tickets,
In Rome , I used the sightseeing coach , it is hop on hop off tickets .. and it is valid for 24 hours or one day
I went to Vience by train from Milan , which is almost 3.5 hours , Milan is nice city for fashion ,, but not for sight seeing
Evey one I know liked Florence , but I personally did not ,, people go mainly for Museums there any way, but did not find lots of sightseeing there.
Enjoy the hliday

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
quote:

So all illegal people 'MUST' go to Rome first ?? What if they didn't eat their gelateria in Rome ?? will that be a problem with the immigration people ?? [Confused]
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Small remark on the visit to the Leaning Tower of Pisa. You have to buy your ticket in advance meaning a couple of hours before. Example; you arrive at noon, you buy your ticket to enter the Tower at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
One more tip Jane, make sure to visit the Vatican and make sure to climb to the top , but be careful , it is more than ( let me say 300 steps) the staircase is very very narrow in some areas/parts and what it makes t worse that you find many people are coming back down as they have not managed to finish it all way up,, but the view for the top is outstanding for the whole of Rome..
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
thanks for all the great tips sightseeing everyone. I must admit I am so looking forward to it and I am sure Mahmoud will enjoy it more than the UK which he did not think much of.

I sure he will make a great living as a gondolier lol lol lol

--------------------

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

So all illegal people 'MUST' go to Rome first ?? What if they didn't eat their gelateria in Rome ?? will that be a problem with the immigration people ?? [Confused]
No, I didn't say that. But you know what? I think whatever I say will be misunderstood by you. So, leave it. [Roll Eyes]
I wish Akshars husband gets his visa and that they will enjoy Italy, with or without gelato. [Wink]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Yes..I see, so the gelato isn't a must for the visa. [Razz]
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
But it has to be a must for an illegal job as a gondelier.

Just one cornetto, give it to me, delicious ice cream from Italy............

--------------------

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:

Just one cornetto, give it to me, delicious ice cream from Italy............

Oh God I bet you really will do that too wont you? [Eek!]

I would [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Yes I bloody well will

I have also got a lot of Arabic lyrics that I am putting under Mahmoud's nose to say to me [Big Grin] I want sweet nothings even if they are coached lol

--------------------

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
In the news:

We Do Not Confine Illegal Migrants: Egypt's Rome Diplomat

By Milan – Yousri el-Hawary 22/ 4/ 2009

The illegal Egyptian migrating workers are dealt with respectfully in Italy, said Egypt's Ambassador in Rome Ashraf Rashed, denying they have been collected and confined at the Egyptian embassy in Italy.

These migrants are kept in an accommodation center on an island where young people smuggling boats are usually anchoring. But they are being arrested by border guard police and kept in the accommodation center to be deported to Egypt, he noted.

A few often manage to escape and enter Italy. Others are being kept for 60 days during which they are investigated with, Rashed told al-Masry al-Youm in exclusives.

Young people, before getting arrested, usually get rid of all identity papers and always pretend to be Palestinians or Africans who suffer from oppression and seek political asylum.

Consequently, the Italian police often give them calling cards to phone their families; a tactic that helps police to know they are Egyptians. Once the police know their identities, they are deported. [Wink]

The Italian government was said to have submitted a draft law to criminalize illegal migration. It seeks to legalize the confinement of any illegal migrant as a way to contain this phenomenon.

http://www.almasry-alyoum.com/article2.aspx?ArticleID=208184

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Jane if you can read arabic then read this funny news. Yesterday Swissair refused to take the Somalin presdient and his companionfrom Cairo to Swizerland as he and the rest of the group did not have Visa to Swizerland, the somailan authority contacted the Swiss Embassy who refused to help in this issue
بسبب التأشيرة:
الخطوط السويسرية رفضت سفر الرئيس الصومالي علي طائرتها
كتب - عبدالناصر أبو الفضل:
في أول واقعة من نوعها رفضت الخطوط السويسرية أمس سفر الرئيس الصومالي "شيخ شريف أحمد" والوفد المرافق له علي رحلتها المتجهة من القاهرة إلي زيورخ بسبب حصوله علي تأشيرة "شينجن" المحددة بالسفر إلي بلجيكا فقط.. وكان الوفد المرافق للرئيس الصومالي والمكون من ثمانية أفراد قد توجه إلي مطار القاهرة للسفر علي الخطوط السويسرية بينما جلس الدكتور "علي مصيلحي" وزير التضامن الاجتماعي في صالة كبار الزوار لتوديعه وعند انهاء إجراءات سفره رفض موظفو الخطوط السويسرية سفر الرئيس لأن تأشيرته لا تسمح له بدخول سويسرا.. تم إجراء اتصالات مع السفارة السويسرية بالقاهرة للسماح بسفر الرئيس إلا أنها فشلت وأقلعت الطائرة بدونه.. وكان الرئيس الصومالي سيتوجه إلي بروكسيل بعد سويسرا للمشاركة في مؤتمر الدول المانحة للصومال الذي تعقده الأمم المتحدة اليوم الخميس.. وقد بدأت اتصالات لتوفير وسيلة مواصلات مناسبة لنقل الرئيس الصومالي إلي بروكسيل مباشرة

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
I understand that some Western people with diplomatic passports have been refused entry into Egypt because Egypt is getting fed up with the way its citizens are treated. Somali next I guess

--------------------

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Jane , the Somalian president was in Egypt and met President Mubarak ,and was flying to Swizerland ,, he was not refused by the egyptian authoritry but by the Swissair ( the airlines and not even the swiss authority)
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
No I mean Somali will do the same as Egypt if its citizens are treated like this, especially its president

--------------------

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
I doubt it ,, as no Western or even eastern go to Somali or Somaliland these days, unless they have been kidnapped by pirates these days..and I do not think the kidnapped ones needs any Visas any way,lol , any way I doubt that he Swiss airlines were able to do that for any president of strong country or more powerful country,, I doubt they would do same action for the Nigerian Presient or the south African one for example
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by south_london_male:
I doubt it ,, as no Western or even eastern go to Somali or Somaliland these days,

Yeah I can't imagine that either. Who would go voluntarily to Somalia??? [Confused]

Oh, hi Mohsen!! [Smile]

south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Hi TL.. hope you are ok
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com