EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » The galabeyya to become Egypt's national dress??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The galabeyya to become Egypt's national dress??
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Page last updated at 06:31 GMT, Tuesday, 12 May 2009 07:31 UK

By Waleed Badran
BBC Arabic

The galabeyya, a traditional ankle-length gown worn by Egyptian men, may be about to get official status if an Egyptian MP gets his way.

Mustapha al-Gindy wants the simple galabeyya, until now more associated with men in rural areas or manual labourers, to be promoted as the national costume of Egypt .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8039876.stm

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually like it, it's nice to stick to our roots. But times have changed and its not practical anymore. Imagine running after the bus in a galabyia, it's just silly.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Totta
Member # 16623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Totta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
I actually like it, it's nice to stick to our roots. But times have changed and its not practical anymore. Imagine running after the bus in a galabyia, it's just silly.

Hey at least there's still someone, an MP, who isn't ashamed of wearing a galabeya in public!
Posts: 117 | From: Middle of Nowhere | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah definatly. I love the traditional dress, and I think in general we should be more proud of our heritage.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ourluxor
Member # 15101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ourluxor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Luxor, it wouldn't be the "running after the bus in a galabaya" that would be silly, it would just be the thought of "running after the bus"! It's that silly that it just doesn't happen.

I must admit that I have actually run to catch a bus here, much to the amusement of those watching. Haha.

Regards,
Edward.

Posts: 430 | From: luxor | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TAREK307
Member # 7838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TAREK307   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will never happen, ever!

--------------------
MY BLOG
www.modernpharaoh.blogspot.com

http://www.myspace.com/tarek307

AOL,YAHOO,MSN TAREK307

Posts: 511 | From: Alexandria, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the galabeya and its a great national dress!

agree with ourluxor though, running for a bus...or running for anything....does not happen in luxor!

ahh unless its running from the police [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramses nemesis
Member # 4125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramses nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:

I totally agree, I've always wanted to do that, to wear a galabeya and all the time. When I told my friends and family that they thought I was crazy.
As you correctly point out, it's about sticking ot our roots. I see the Indian women wear the sarry and sarwal kamis even in the west, some Africans wear they're ethnic garbs, also in the gulf, India, Pakistan, etc. For me it's all about national identity.
I will do it one day, I'm ashamed to say I still don't have the courage to do it yet.
(shame on you Ramses, chicken)

Posts: 444 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com