EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What can you get???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What can you get???
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about stuff you can get in Egypt that you can't get anywhere else??
I don't mean 'younger lovers'.... I mean stuff... [Big Grin]

My favourite Egyptian product is called "Willy Cream" (yes, english people... that's what it's called!!) [Razz]
It's actually a hair conditioner.... makes your hair softer and shinier than Pantene, or anything else!!
I brought back 3 kg of the stuff when I came back from Egypt!!

Any other favourite Egyptian stuff???

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all the fruits and veggies here.
In the states - they look great when ya buy em, but they are totally tasteless, but here they are magnificent...a tomato that tastes like how I used to remember them tasting, and an onion that actually makes ya cry when cutting it.
Only exception is the poor peach. they pick em too early here and are hard - not juicy.
and the lamb here is much better tasting than in the US.
Masharabaya (sp?) - that woodworking screening that is just gorgeous.

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The local peaches are flat.. they are quite strange to look at.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree about the fruit, jean... especially bananas. Those little Egyptian bananas are the sweetest in the world.. Yes, girls, I mean the fruit!!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
all the fruits and veggies here.
In the states - they look great when ya buy em, but they are totally tasteless, but here they are magnificent...a tomato that tastes like how I used to remember them tasting, and an onion that actually makes ya cry when cutting it.
Only exception is the poor peach. they pick em too early here and are hard - not juicy.
and the lamb here is much better tasting than in the US.
Masharabaya (sp?) - that woodworking screening that is just gorgeous.

Ohhh,yes,the musharabiya wooden screen carvings.Its used on other pieces of furniture,too.
Its worth if you like it or are fond of those pieces,mamasue.
I recently posted some pics of an Egyptian made screen i bought on my very first trip there.
Gonna find the thread,if you dont remember it.

Check my pics here,mamasue

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=018825

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lib battikh (dried and roasted watermelon seeds)

Once you start to eat them you can't stop. Miss them....

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TL, I can find that kind of lib (as well as many other kinds) here in the mid eastern markets. [Smile]
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
btw,Mashrabya was introduced in the Islamic era not only Egypt has it also Syria
Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elegantly Wasted:
TL, I can find that kind of lib (as well as many other kinds) here in the mid eastern markets. [Smile]

I've seen before packed up ones but its just not the same. I brought one kg of fresh roasted ones home with me in June and it was gone in less than two weeks.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot actually think of anything other than the fruit. I like my brand names too much!!!

Local rum is stomachable I guess.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no, I'm not talking about packaged ones. They roast the libs fresh at the markets here.

quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:

I've seen before packed up ones but its just not the same. I brought one kg of fresh roasted ones home with me in June and it was gone in less than two weeks.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh no, I'm not talking about packaged ones. They roast the libs fresh at the markets here.

quote:
quote:

what markets!!!!!!!!
Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Okay then please please send me some çause I don't think I'll be back in Egypt before next year!! [Smile]
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Markets near my home. I live in an area that has one of, if not *the* largest Arab population in the US.

quote:
Originally posted by ** Ahmad**:
quote:

quote:
quote:

what markets!!!!!!!!

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

TL, I would gladly send some. Now you all are making me want lib, lol. I'll have to take to trip to Dearborn soon. [Smile]
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mangos..hindi and eweiss, also fonsa [Cool]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ** Ahmad**:
btw,Mashrabya was introduced in the Islamic era not only Egypt has it also Syria

Its all over the Arabic world,including Morocco.My screen divider is specifically Egyptian.
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fruit and veggies of course ... most of all mangos, cucumbers and bananas.

Fuul and t3ameya sandwiches!

Kushari!

Nigella oil

Nefertari soaps

Bedouin carpets

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the sense that time doesn't matter.

Aaah I miss that

Oh and home delivery for a mars bar and a coke bottle. That is real service!

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nefertari soaps are wonderful!
Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
TL, I would gladly send some. Now you all are making me want lib, lol. I'll have to take to trip to Dearborn soon. [Smile]

you live in Michigan? [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hippy_1
Member # 16428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hippy_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That blue and orange stuff that you get every day, what's it called ..... um .... oh yes the sky and the sun.

I'm in the UK and its been peeing down forever!!!!!! yuk

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sorsor
Member # 7639

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sorsor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mango is amazing in Egypt

--------------------
sorsor_onair@hotmail.com

Posts: 429 | From: jeddah ,saudi arabia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com