EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » how to go about to retire in egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how to go about to retire in egypt
florentine
Member # 17132

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for florentine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thinking about to retire in alex. i am fron usa and ANY tips i be thankfull for.
Posts: 5 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean_bean
Member # 13715

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean_bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did it 4 years ago. Cannot say that I am a pro, but sure do have experience! But I am not in Alex, but I betcha its got the same type of probs.
ask away........

Posts: 1103 | From: 6th of October | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasto
Member # 17091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasto   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Florentine, have you ever been to Egypt? to Alex? Do you have anybody over here?
Posts: 132 | From: Alex | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my folks are retired in Egypt... I think their biggest problem is boredom!!!!!!!!!

They have seen so many folks come and go over the years with contracts etc... good, long and solid friendships are difficult to find.

I think my biggest tip is ensure you have hobbies, are prepared to be sociable, have things to keep you entertained. (I am FAR from retiring but do not work. But, I would imagine this would apply to retirement all over the world [Smile]

Sort finances, pensions etc... from your end, post is slow to non existent for us.

Make sure you have a Will... and morbidly, ensure folk know of your funeral wishes. A friend of mine died here and it cost thousands to fly his body back to the UK. The family knew of his intention and had saved for this.

How depressing lol... Welcome top retirement... Alex would be a lush way to wile away your days.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alex isn't as diverse as Cairo, more of a limited area, less polluted, but as congested and noisy..same sloppy people and more Islamic fanatism.
Nothing much going on.. [Frown]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes that repatriation of the body discussion is very important to Brits because your family (or insurance policy if you have one) will have to pay!

Apparently the Egyptian government will fly any Egyptian body home without cost to the family, certainly NOT the case in the UK! Don't know what the US rules might be!

My dad said he's be quite happy to bury me in a Tesco bag over here - my mum would want to repatriate my mortal remains - my dad says if she wants to do that, she's on her own financially [Big Grin]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by florentine:
thinking about to retire in alex. i am fron usa and ANY tips i be thankfull for.

Depends totally on your own expectations. What -different from the place where you live righ now- are you hoping to find in Alexandria Egypt? And what if you DON'T find that there?
Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
florentine
Member # 17132

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for florentine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for all the help..yes i will be with a girlfriend (also ret) in alex and did visit alex. 2 times befor. i opend a citibank acount to transfer my ret. and now surching for a web side to find that flat with a sea few.

--------------------
love makes blind-marridge opend's the eye's

Posts: 5 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't matter WHERE you live in this world it is HOW you live. If you happy, healthy and pretty much financially stable then the rest is immaterial.

I have been good mates in Cairo for a year with a guy who lived three years in Alex... he would go back in the blink of an eye if he could. Where you live and find happiness is personal taste.

My body will stay here if I die... what difference will I know!!! I will just be scattered in the desert [Big Grin]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you cant be scattered, they wont burn you here! unless you want chopping up and scattering [Big Grin]

I told my family im being planted here when I die, told hubby not to send me back. He said I have to make arrangements or they plant me in the 'English place' and not the Muslim place, I said I really dont care where im planted as God will know what I am when I get there and not by where im planted. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
They won't burn me... they burn everything else lol

Good job really, the amount of alcohol in my system I would go for hours [Wink]

Chop me up and eat me for all I care, I will be dead!!!

My family know I am not fussed what they do with me, it is their choice. They will be the ones left to deal with it so whatever suits them.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*makes note to add Fried Ferret to the menu at work*

[Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Makes note to avoid Ayisha's workplace [Wink]

I wonder if people eat ferrets!!!

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi florentine,

I have lived in Alex (and surrounding area) for 7 years now.

Did you have an area in mind where you want to live? Keep in mind that if you won't be having a car or drive, that the areas east of Victoria don't have access to the tram, which can be nice for traveling the different areas for shopping. Of course there are always taxi's available in all areas.

Also, do you plan on renting or buying? Finding a place through the net will be very expensive. You will pay dearly, being a foreigner, and if you can, it will help to find someone locally to help you.

Personally, I could not stand the noise, and congestion of the city, and we ended up selling our flat and moving outside the city.

If I can help in any way, just let me know.

Laura

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasto
Member # 17091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasto   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to add to all the above that may be it would be a good idea to look for an apartment not in the front raw of Cornish. Too strong winds and humidity. You will need to do the maintenance almost each year.
Posts: 132 | From: Alex | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
florentine
Member # 17132

Rate Member
thanks guy's u are wonderfull and i should be there in april if all goes well....cant wayt
keep it up if you can think of more
Flora

--------------------

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you'll regret it

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very concerned about the availability of good health care in Egypt and this point should be taken seriously - especially for older citizens.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you don't mention having any egyptian relatives or husband, don't forget the whole residency issue!

Are you intending to buy property here? If so check out the various requisites for property ownership to gain residency so (a) you make sure your cash comes in to Egypt the right way and (b) you buy a property that will allow you to satisfy the residency conditions - ie don't buy on a new compound - if this might be an issue for you take legal advice.

There are various machinations going on and various contradicting stories about getting and renewing the various different residence permits and everyone has their own different story to tell and I don't propose to rehash all the 'I had no problem, my friend had to leave, go to this office, not that office' discussions all over again!

Just make sure you have a 'Plan B' in case you have to return to the US - eg keep bank account and credit cards open. I know people returning to the UK who had closed all their bank/credit accounts had a tough time reestablishing themselves in the UK - without that credit rating you are a non-person.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
thanks for all the help..yes i will be with a girlfriend (also ret) in alex and did visit alex. 2 times befor. i opend a citibank acount to transfer my ret. and now surching for a web side to find that flat with a sea few.

Alex is a very diverse city and there is also a big difference between summer and winter due to the large numbers of tourists making some areas hell.

Rent for a year and get to know the city before buying anything, then you will find which area really suits you and can take time to get to know the right prices for property so you don't get ripped off as a foreigner.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Shanta is right, always have a plan B.

I also agree with the rent for a year theory and take your time getting to know the property market etc.

On a positive note, my folks retired in Cairo years ago after living here for a decade and then in various other countries... they chose Egypt for retirement becasue of all the positives it has for older people, they have had no issues with their property or residency and both at some point have been in need of medical help (father had a life saving op) and they found the health care service to be of an excellent standard.

I think if my Mum was still posting here she would advise you to get yourself a good lawyer who will help you along the way. They have one and she is lovely, she makes their lives a lot easier...

florentine
Member # 17132

Rate Member
wow you are all sooooooooo helpfull....

i will take ANY advice for sure into concideration ((((( ))))) florentine

--------------------

zarry
Member # 17151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have just bought on a new compound and have been told that lets me apply for residency. is that not correct?
Posts: 23 | From: uk | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Zarry - YOU NEED TO CHECK WITH A LAWYER - ANYTHING YOU READ ON THE INTERNET IS OPINION ONLY (even sometimes relatively well-informed opinion but that is what it is)

I know I can't register my property on my compound. I have been given mixed advice about notorizing the sales contract - some tell me I can and a quite knowledgeable Egyptian friend has told me that I can't as the company have not yet finished paying the government for the land. And in any case I live in a flat so there are additional issues regarding how many people live in the block want to register blah blah blah.

I need to get off my butt and seek out a lawyer too!

But also note that if you DO register your property, as a foreigner you cannot sell it for 5 years.

In any case I did not pay $US50000 for mine though it is worth more than that now.

Also = where is your compound - near Cairo? Red Sea? I think there may be a little more flexibility down the Red Sea area (though note that as a foreigner you can't have a freehold in Sinai - only a 99 year 'usfrucht' (like leasehold))

florentine
Member # 17132

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for florentine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

okk.. so i will come for 3 month in the spring and check it allllllllllll out
mid march to , mid june
hugs to all

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com