EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Computer help.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer help.
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all

I just need some help if possible.

Does anybody know if you can convert a PDF file into a word document without ruining the layout?

Also, can you attach images to a word document?

Thanks

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can copy the 'picture'and paste it in a word document...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol that's it?
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
convert pdf to word here: http://www.zamzar.com/

to insert picture into word doc use 'insert' then 'picture' and browse for the picture to insert.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Great Ayisha. Thank you so much. Muwah!!!
GaredProposal
Member # 17180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GaredProposal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
Hi all

Does anybody know if you can convert a PDF file into a word document without ruining the layout?

Thanks

Try www.openoffice.org you can do that with their program which was developed by Sun to compete with microsoft office.

Create word document (import from Microsoft word)
Under Menue (file) Convert to PDF
Without having to do it on line on a site that may be phishing for info.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GaredProposal:
quote:
Hi all

Thanks

Try www.openoffice.org you can do that with their program which was developed by Sun to compete with microsoft office.

That's backwards!
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaredProposal
Member # 17180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GaredProposal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sweet Crude:
quote:
quote:
Hi all

Thanks

That's backwards!
LOL [Smile] Remember I read from right to left so everything is kind of backwards. Bottom line is I tried this program for converting word documents to PDF and it works great. So if you know about the program why do you help me explain it in a simpler way that is not backwards. [Wink]
Posts: 52 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Hi all

Thanks

That's backwards!
LOL [Smile] Remember I read from right to left so everything is kind of backwards. Bottom line is I tried this program for converting word documents to PDF and it works great. So if you know about the program why do you help me explain it in a simpler way that is not backwards. [Wink]
She's needs to convert from PDF to Word. PDF to Word. PDF TO WORD. Not the other way around.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't you open a PDF in word 2007?
Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaredProposal
Member # 17180

Rate Member
quote:
She's needs to convert from PDF to Word. PDF to Word. PDF TO WORD. Not the other way around.

Got it !!! PDF TO WORD (LOUD AND CLEAR) you are right. I stand corrected.I read her post quickly.
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you select the complete picture with the right mouse button, then you can paste it in a word document. Don't need any programme for that.

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Hi all

Thanks

to convert anything to PDF try http://www.dopdf.com/ which acts as a 'printer' and 'prints' to PDF. it saves as a PDF on your pc. Works great on this site, right click, print, change printer to 'dopdf' and it asks where you want to keep it.

to 'unlock' a PDF use http://pdfpirate.net/ [Wink]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never work with Word (except for opening and closing it in order to copy texts clients send me), so don't know much about it. But I know a lot about PDFs [Wink] , so I'd say it is not possible to convert a PDF file into a Word file without losing the layout.

But if you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat, you can select and copy the text and then paste it into the Word document. Does that help?

quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
Can't you open a PDF in word 2007?

You can open and edit PDFs in Adobe Illustrator.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moove
Member # 13561

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for moove   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Use the Nitro Program to edit pdf and I love it.
Posts: 24 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not use the full version of Adobe Acrobat? [Confused]
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can "save as" a word doc in Acrobat Pro
Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.convertpdftoword.net/

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ford Prefect (not perfect):

You can "save as" a word doc in Acrobat Pro

Oh, I didn't know that.
Just tried it with a PDF I happened to have open, but the layout gets lost entirely.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
Why not use the full version of Adobe Acrobat? [Confused]

Because it costs a fortune and really not worth it unless you are going to do volume work!

Even when I worked in a large national company in the UK only one person per department was allowed full Adobe because of the extortionate price - everyone else just had to get by with the Reader and beg the lucky one with the full version to do anything fancy.

Acrobat products on Amazon

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi all

Thanks

Not sure what you mean? As QM says you can paste pictures in to Word documents. Did you mean something different?
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:

Because it costs a fortune and really not worth it unless you are going to do volume work!

I wouldn't exactly call that a fortune. [Wink] Most of the applications I've worked with over the years are more expensive. But yeah -- I can see that it doesn't make sense to buy it only for occasional use.

I have the Adobe Creative Suite, and Acrobat is part of that package, so I never checked the individual price.

Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh, I didn't know that.
Just tried it with a PDF I happened to have open, but the layout gets lost entirely.

Yeah, it's next to impossible to retain layout from a print format into a text editor regardless of the tool used to convert. It does get most of the text out for cleaning up though.

quote:

There are of course "alternatives" *cough* bitTorrent *cough* [Razz]
Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:

I SO don't know what you are talking about. Maybe I should HUNT this out a bit more [Wink]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

I SO don't know what you are talking about. Maybe I should HUNT this out a bit more [Wink]
I so want to know exactly what hes talking about in DETAIL. [Big Grin]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Well put it this way Ayisha, I now have the entire Joan Hickson Miss Marple series on my computer - ahem - cough, and am completely up to date with Spartacus Blood and Sand - ahem. (Fab by the way [Wink] )
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

I sometimes GO to the mall and OGLE the massive selections [Eek!]
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer to laze around the PIRATE BAY.
Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Not detailed enough guys! [Frown]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

You've got mail [Big Grin]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
You've got mail [Big Grin]

considering there were no detailed instructions on where the mail was, I think I did well to find it AND reply! [Big Grin]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

LOL - sorry Ayisha - explained in reply [Big Grin]
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Ok guys, I have another question. I am trying to attach a PDF document but it tells me it is too big. Do you know how to reduce the size?
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
You can reduce the file size, but you need the full version of Acrobat in order to do it.

Did you create the PDF yourself? If yes, with which program? Usually when writing the PDF, you can determine the settings, i.e. size, compression etc.

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great little free programme that will do the job

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
You can reduce the file size, but you need the full version of Acrobat in order to do it.

Did you create the PDF yourself? If yes, with which program? Usually when writing the PDF, you can determine the settings, i.e. size, compression etc.

No someone actually did the document for me. But that person is not available anymore and I'm finding it difficult to attach it so I need to downsize it if possible.
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scan it as an image/picture and by manipulating the resolution you can reduce/increase the size
Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
This is a great little free programme that will do the job

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

what if the document is of text not an image?

PDFs can be both.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by south_london_male:
Scan it as an image/picture and by manipulating the resolution you can reduce/increase the size

I wouldn't recommend that. An image file, even if it's low resolution, will always be bigger in size than a PDF. Plus, the quality is lower. And if you have a document that consists of several pages, you can not attach them to each other as in a PDF.
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Another alternative would be for you to use one of the file sharing sites online - you could upload it so something like rapidshare or 4shared and the person could then download it from there.
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also resize a PDF file with Photoshop, just open it, save as, and a dialog box will appear. Manipulate the compression to you liking. Goes without saying if you intend to print it then 300dpi is necessary for good quality, so the file size will be larger. If it's for screen, then 72 resolution is enough. You're a journalist, master this sh!t already.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com