EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Firearms? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Firearms?
Sololegendary
Member # 17611

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sololegendary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the laws for firearms in egypt? Am i allowed to carry a concealed handgun with me ? Are firearms easily purchasable? Thanks for info
Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before folk dive in may I ask why you would want to be armed in Egypt?

No, they are not easily obtainable and you will need an IFL.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Addam, Egypt is not the Bronx. It's pretty safe really. You'll be amazed. I think you should come for a visit before you make the decision of moving.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi agai, your questioned interested me so I delved further and I found a petition (now closed) to allow Egyptians to carry guns to protect themselves.

An Egyptian states on this link it is also illegal to even carry knoves

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/egyptians-should-have-the-right-to-carry-guns-and-rifles.html

Just as a footnote as well, if you do wish to apply to get a license you need to contact the ministry of the interior. (apparently)

Egypt is a calm and peaceful state, you do not feel you have the need to protect yourself.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sololegendary
Member # 17611

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sololegendary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol tigerlily thanks. I might just do that. But I have to move to a muslim country, as Islam has commanded that I do so. The Quran itself states that I cannot stay in a country ruled by non muslims If I have the means to move... os if its not Egypt, itll be somewhere else, like Syria or Saudi. Egypt is just decently in touch with the U.S. which is why I chose it.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sololegendary:
Lol tigerlily thanks. I might just do that. But I have to move to a muslim country, as Islam has commanded that I do so. The Quran itself states that I cannot stay in a country ruled by non muslims If I have the means to move... os if its not Egypt, itll be somewhere else, like Syria or Saudi. Egypt is just decently in touch with the U.S. which is why I chose it.

Go to Saudi, it's good for you.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel your pain. I was licensed in NY State and Indiana for concealed carry and used to collect handguns. Sadly, I sold all of them before moving to Egypt. However, I have seen in two places in Egypt a store that sells guns. The exact location was not noted so unfortunately I can't tell you more about them. The only thing I remember was one was in Alexandria and one was downtown Cairo. As far as the laws, I don't think it's easy to get permits here. But then again, I never looked into it. I know who to ask though if you'd like me to look into it more.

It seems you are more of a collector and sport shooter (target) than wanting to carry for protection, right? Tigerlily is right, Egypt is safe(r) than the US. You wouldn't even need to think about self-protection here. (Although I do get a lot of women asking me to bring them mace and pepper spray back from the US!) But I sure miss going to the range and shooting paper targets.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Quran itself states that I cannot stay in a country ruled by non muslims

The so called rulers of Egypt are about as far as its possible to get from the principles of Islam. You should take a closer look at the way alot of western countries are run its much closer to Islam than alot of the so called Islamic countries.

Are you really sure the Koran tells you, you can't live in a non Islamic country. There are an awful lot of Muslims living happily in such countries and freely practicing their religion. Are you saying they are all wrong??

Egypt is full of wonderful Muslims but you are going to be very disappointed if you think the country is run as an Islamic state. On the other hand coming and gaining an experience of how these middle eastern countries operate may help you see your own country in a completely different light.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GM44
Member # 13971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GM44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is a new gunshop in Gol Gamal street (running parallel with Batal) Mohandeseen. And there is of course the shooting club in Mohandeseen.
Posts: 264 | From: Egypt | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Egypt is not the Bronx.

My hometown! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sololegendary
Member # 17611

Rate Member
In the Qur’aan, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, as for those whom the angels take (in death) while they are wronging themselves (as they stayed among the disbelievers even though emigration was obligatory for them), they (angels) say (to them): “In what (condition) were you?” They reply: “We were weak and oppressed on the earth.” They (angels) say: “Was not the earth of Allah spacious enough for you to emigrate therein?” Such men will find their abode in Hell — what an evil destination!”

[al-Nisa’ 4:97]

In the Sunnah, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I disown every Muslim who settles among the mushrikeen.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2645; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

So yes I am sure. I appreciate my own country very much, I love it, but as a Muslim i have higher obligations now. And you know Penny, what you say has alot of truth to it, but if I don't at least make the effort, I would be doing myself a disservice.

Yes I am a sharpshooter, collector.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

“Verily, as for those whom the angels take (in death) while they are wronging themselves (as they stayed among the disbelievers even though emigration was obligatory for them), they (angels) say (to them): “In what (condition) were you?” They reply: “We were weak and oppressed on the earth.” They (angels) say: “Was not the earth of Allah spacious enough for you to emigrate therein?” Such men will find their abode in Hell — what an evil destination!”

This is from the Hilali-Khan translation which is heavily distorted. The additions in brackets are not there in the Arabic original.

There is nothing in the Qur'an that says a believer can not stay in a non-Muslim country. It's only the Salafis / Wahhabis who claim this.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whaaaaaaaat?? [Confused]

1. Why on earth would you need a gun in Egypt?
2. agree with Dalia that is a huge distortion on the verse. If it was 'Islamic' to move to a muslim country why are there so many moving OUT?
3. If you think you are going to be in paradise surrounded by pious muslims you are going to be very shocked!
4. Unless you link up with the Brotherhood who are a minority with likeminded views and start your own taliban regime then you wont need a gun.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I am a sharpshooter, collector.

Great..I'm licensed to carry a weapon, I inherited this Enfield #2 MK 1* 1940. from my dad..its a WW II .38 revolver and considered rare. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You are misinterpreting the Quran dude. Taking it way too literally, that was a rule for a certain time in certain circumstances that don't apply now at all.

Good luck anyway.

Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Troll?
Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
Troll?

Oh dear God my mind was running alone the same lines as sono, God help me [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karim
Member # 3077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very hard to get a gun permit here.
Posts: 1226 | From: Egypt | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe licenses should be issued to any woman living there ... that might solve the issue of sexual harassment.

[Cool]

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
Maybe licenses should be issued to any woman living there ... that might solve the issue of sexual harassment.

[Cool]

And have you read about the rates/percentages that gun owners have been shot with their own guns?

Or how often a police officer is shot with his/her own gun?

Most of my relatives have rifles/guns for hunting and due to safety they have them locked up at a municipal gun lock up when it isn't hunting season. I think they get a tax break with covers the cost of the gun lockup.

Like the division between the "haves" and the "havenots" many rural areas mark themselves socially about "who don't have guns in their homes" and "who do have guns in their homes".

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I am sorry, I really do not approve of everyday folk walking the streets with guns... in any country.

I for one would not be happy in the knowledge that people around me were armed! They are murder weapons and only bought with the intent to harm. Some will argue protection and safety... cool, buy a stun gun! Not something with the sole purpose, to kill or maim others (or yourself).

Why not just arm the men here with guns so they can rape the women in the villages at gun point instead of at knife point!

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

And have you read about the rates/percentages that gun owners have been shot with their own guns?

My post was tongue-in-cheek, [Wink] I am actually opposed to people carrying guns.

I'd rather not want to imagine what happened if people were allowed to carry guns in Egypt. [Eek!] Many people have a very short temper and you often observe yelling matches or people actually beating each other up on the street.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

My post was tongue-in-cheek, [Wink] I am actually opposed to people carrying guns.

I'd rather not want to imagine what happened if people were allowed to carry guns in Egypt. [Eek!] Many people have a very short temper and you often observe yelling matches or people actually beating each other up on the street.

Sorry Dalia, I see how that looked like I was having a dig at you, I wasn't... I was just venting. I really do fail to see why people would want to carry a gun! There is no positive result that could ever occur from this.

I mentioned this topic in the bar last night and there were conversations about premeditated violence, how an increase in suicide could happen and in general like you just stated... the anger issues here at times is beyond crazy.

I am grateful that in the UK we have never been able to just buy guns so freely and state we are protecting our land. Buy a fricking burglar alarm ffs!

There was a Governates daughter not so long back who bumped her car and got out with a taser... seriously twisted!

The guy in the USA who shot his daughter in the night as he thought she was an intruder when she was walking around the house is used in many emotional psychological studies... horrible story.

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the UK, if a burglar breaks into your home takes whatever valuables you own and rapes you, you shouldn't lay a finger on him or he'll sue you for whatever injury you've caused him..while in the US that's called trespassing and you've got the right to shoot the mofo. [Cool]

I'm for the second option, that's why I carry a gun..self-defense is legal IMHO. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I guess this subject just separates the passive from the aggressive.

I do never, have never and will never condone violence of this nature. I would never for a second believe I have the right to end another mans life in such a way.

If someone breaks into my home (which has happened in the past) are they desperate for cash, are they too poor to feed, are they perhaps merely just petty criminals who are greedy... do they deserve to be shot through the face!!!

Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
... do they deserve to be shot through the face!!!

Probably not, what about kneecaps?
Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Didn't get the sarcasm at all, sorry.

There had been a bunch of incidents in my hood last summer, and some women are starting to pack heat. So I am waiting for our first murder in 15 years.

Sololegendary
Member # 17611

Rate Member
Definitely don't want to go around shooting people in the face or the kneecaps. I am from the U.S. and around here, carrying a gun is almost essential in my neighborhood. I was not aware that Egypt was so relatively "safe".

Even so, I might not need to carry one around with me, but having one in my house is much more what I was thinking. If someone breaks into my home while i'm sleeping, and I have a wife, I am not going to risk him harming my family. I will shoot him.

And the whole "you dont need a gun" thing becomes moot when the other person has one.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Well it is non essential here so why not spend your time Googling the country you will be bringing your family too and study the crime statistics in Egypt. Yo may be pleasantly surprised.

Nobody will try to break in and steal your toaster... don't worry.

Also, I imagine if a Westerner came here armed and shot someone they probably would hang you for it.

Eye for an eye eh!

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the whole "you dont need a gun" thing becomes moot when the other person has one.

Sorry but the same arguement is being used by Iran and North Korea regarding nuclear weapons. Their reasoning the west have them so they have the right to have them too [Confused]
Guns are just wrong.

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
ferret is right you should be looking up the country you are moving to. Even Lonely Planet will tell you its safer here than in your own back yard!

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

upppp
Member # 17518

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for upppp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

In the Sunnah, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I disown every Muslim who settles among the mushrikeen.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2645; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood. So yes I am sure. I appreciate my own country very much, I love it, but as a Muslim i have higher obligations now.

Ever thought of Afghanistan as a destination?
I know of one "organization" that could use your sharpshooting expertise [Wink]
quote:

I'm all for arming women, after qualifying for arm bearing of course.
I mean it's only merciful to put those offenders out of their misery! a hole in the head would be the quick fix to all their problems! [Big Grin]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by upppp:
quote:

In the Sunnah, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I disown every Muslim who settles among the mushrikeen.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 2645; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood. So yes I am sure. I appreciate my own country very much, I love it, but as a Muslim i have higher obligations now.

Ever thought of Afghanistan as a destination?
I know of one "organization" that could use your sharpshooting expertise [Wink]
quote:

I'm all for arming women, after qualifying for arm bearing of course.
I mean it's only merciful to put those offenders out of their misery! a hole in the head would be the quick fix to all their problems! [Big Grin]

A swift kick in the nuts would suffice [Big Grin]
upppp
Member # 17518

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for upppp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hardly!

a kick in the nuts is just too... hmm.. undramatic?
besides, it wouldn't be the lady-like thing to do would it? [Wink]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Being ladylike is the last thing I'm worried about when being faced with one of those bastards. [Embarrassed]

quote:

Didn't get the sarcasm at all, sorry.

No problem. I just thought everyone knew by now I am a hippie / leftist / opposed to violence. [Cool]
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

This is from the Hilali-Khan translation which is heavily distorted. The additions in brackets are not there in the Arabic original.

There is nothing in the Qur'an that says a believer can not stay in a non-Muslim country. It's only the Salafis / Wahhabis who claim this.

Every single translation have something in brackets including all the ones Ayisha has been quoting for years. Why is it I never saw you make the same comment to her?
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Even so, I might not need to carry one around with me, but having one in my house is much more what I was thinking. If someone breaks into my home while i'm sleeping, and I have a wife, I am not going to risk him harming my family. I will shoot him.

Solo, again you have the complete wrong idea about Egypt. I do understand your point. I felt uneasy even while living in a better neighborhood in Alabama knowing that the US has a high crime rate and loose gun laws.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:

Solo, again you have the complete wrong idea about Egypt. I do understand your point. I felt uneasy even while living in a better neighborhood in Alabama knowing that the US has a high crime rate and loose gun laws.
So you want to:

1. Get an Engineering degree
2. Sell Music
3. Marry an Egyptian woman (not gonna happen easily at all dude - for one obvious reason I won't state here but if you want to know send me a private message. Has nothing to do with religion either, but something else you probably don't know about Egypt.)
4. Have the right to bear arms and defend life and limb

Sounds like you need to stay in the USA.

The grass is not greener on the other side of the Minaret.

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
[My post was tongue-in-cheek, [Wink] I am actually opposed to people carrying guns.

As a former gun owner I'm not opposed to people carrying guns. However, I'm with you on not wanting to see this in Egypt. Temper, Temper, Temper...I once saw a man bashing another over the head with a small boulder over a traffic accident. And that was during RAMADAN. [Eek!]
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
quote:
[My post was tongue-in-cheek, [Wink] I am actually opposed to people carrying guns.

As a former gun owner I'm not opposed to people carrying guns. However, I'm with you on not wanting to see this in Egypt. Temper, Temper, Temper...I once saw a man bashing another over the head with a small boulder over a traffic accident. And that was during RAMADAN. [Eek!]
well hun during ramadan do u know how much sexural frustration some men have. no wonder the other man didnt die. hahahaha
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

3. Marry an Egyptian woman (not gonna happen easily at all dude - for one obvious reason I won't state here but if you want to know send me a private message. Has nothing to do with religion either, but something else you probably don't know about Egypt.)

Curious what you have in mind there. I'm still happily married to an Egyptian woman. If a shmuck like me can manage to get through it... [Smile]

quote:
quote:

Agree with you both here. My comment earlier about kneecaps was tongue in cheek.

To the OP I have many guns in the US, not for protection, I just like going to the range for target practice... I even have a bow and arrow setup that I used in my younger years to compete in archery contests.

I've never felt the need to have any sort of weapon on me in Egypt (or in the US for that matter). A smile can diffuse about any situation along with some diplomacy... especially so as a foreigner. We never worried too much about break-ins at our flat either. Everyone knew everyone in our neighborhood and looked out for one another, maybe as it should be I suppose.

If you like shooting for sport (clay pigeons and such), there are a few shooting clubs around Cairo.

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ford Prefect (not perfect):
quote:

Curious what you have in mind there. I'm still happily married to an Egyptian woman. If a shmuck like me can manage to get through it... [Smile]

Did you meet/marry your Egyptian wife in the US or in Egypt? What I have in mind is something that is frequently discussed in other threads/categories on ES.
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
I'm sure the OP won't email me and I'm sure everyone else will be curious as well, so I'll just go ahead and speak my mind here.

Yes, there are many foreign men married to Egyptian women. I'm not saying it's not possible. But through the OP's questions and answers here on this forum, the casual observer notices that he is leaning slightly to the fundamentalist/traditionalist side in his approach to his faith, belief system, and lifestyle choices. So it would make sense that if he seeks out a wife, he would seek a woman with a similar belief system from a family with a similar belief system. I'm sure he wouldn't be interested in one of the Egyptian girls that hangs out in the Jazz club listening to music and drinking beer - right? There are tons of open minded people in Cairo after all. But this would not make the OP happy.

It's a well known fact that with "traditionally minded and valued" people in Egypt marriage is not about boy and girl falling in love and getting married. (Look at all the problems foreign women run into when they marry guys from Menoufya or Qena or another village where traditional thinking is predominant.) Marriage with traditionally minded people is more about BOY impressing GIRL'S FATHER enough for him to allow her hand in marriage.

I'm sure many people will jump all over me for saying this, but the way I see it the OP (sololegendary) has 3 major obstacles to overcome if he wants to impress an Egyptian father and marry his daughter:

1. He is a convert
2. He is not Egyptian
3. He is a man of color

It's possible he can overcome these. Again, I'm not saying it's impossible for him to achieve his goal. I'm saying it's going to be more DIFFICULT than he thinks. By his own admission the OP does not have a clue about Egypt or how Egyptian culture works.

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whilst I can understand a convert wanting to move to a predominantly muslim country because he/she belives (all be it erroneously) that is what is asked of them, I just can't get my head around the covert thinking they have the right to go to such a country with a gun.

This guy has clearly stated he is not wanting a gun for sporting purposes but to use it if someone broke into his home. I am not a muslim but my limited undertanding was that muslims were all about peace. Even if a burglar breaks into your home to steal your watnots does that give you the right to kill them. I think not. The muslims I know would say if the burglar needs something that much then take it.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Whilst I can understand a convert wanting to move to a predominantly muslim country because he/she belives (all be it erroneously) that is what is asked of them, I just can't get my head around the covert thinking they have the right to go to such a country with a gun.

This guy has clearly stated he is not wanting a gun for sporting purposes but to use it if someone broke into his home. I am not a muslim but my limited undertanding was that muslims were all about peace. Even if a burglar breaks into your home to steal your watnots does that give you the right to kill them. I think not. The muslims I know would say if the burglar needs something that much then take it.

Yeah, Penny, but the guy is also suffering from the delusion that his wife will be a delicate little flower in need of a big, bad man to protect her from such intruders.

What a shame that the guy doesn't even live here yet, but is already speculating in his head about what he'd do in the event of a robbery.

When preparing for a move (international or otherwise) such theory and speculation hardly deserves to be at the top of the "to do list".

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:

Bezapt... and I as an agnostic would act the same. Because I am human and humane.
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Anyway, if Solo marries an Egyptian woman he won't need to worry about having a gun. If someone breaks into his house his wife will probably chase the guy out of the house with one of those industrial size Egyptian frying pans. [Wink]
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Or with her shib shib. [Big Grin]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Anyway, if Solo marries an Egyptian woman he won't need to worry about having a gun. If someone breaks into his house his wife will probably chase the guy out of the house with one of those industrial size Egyptian frying pans. [Wink]

lol.. [Big Grin]
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
quote:

LMAO indeed!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com