EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Scarves in summer heat (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Scarves in summer heat
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering what Egyptian women are wearing in the summer heat? Are the best scarves made of silk or linen or cotton? I would imagine that synthetic materials are very uncomfortable in hot weather.
Silk is of course wonderful because it is cool in heat and warm in cool weather but perhaps is too expensive for most women? Linen is light but doesn´t look very good because it crumbles easily?
Or are just the same scarves used both winter and summer?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sara_uk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will I do not know about Egypt but in the Gulf women wear the same in summer and winter, even in here they wear the same. It is good point if they had something which does not absorb heat that much.
Posts: 816 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anthropos,

Are you wearing the veil now? if not why would you even wonder about this?

Do you know the cost of silk or linen in Egypt? and how can women afford silk or linen when over half of the population lives on less than $2 USD a day?

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sara_uk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
metinoot very good point but the thing is even in Saudi they do not change to something more comfy, and they can afford it.
The funny thing men have different material for each season.

Posts: 816 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found that most things cotton are for the men here, very difficult to find cotton womens clothing!

Metinoot, makes you wonder how they afford all the cars that are on the roads too huh? [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
anthropos,

Do you know the cost of silk or linen in Egypt? and how can women afford silk or linen when over half of the population lives on less than $2 USD a day?

no i dont wear a veil. so i cannot think about it? maybe i'm interested in fashion, materials or whatever. what a stupid q.
and i did state that most likely silk is too expensive.

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anthropos:
quote:
anthropos,

no i dont wear a veil. so i cannot think about it? maybe i'm interested in fashion, materials or whatever. what a stupid q.

You've been on this board for a few years and you are well aware bring up this point is going to start a b*tchfest on egywomen.

This thread gets posted at least a couple times a year. Threads on other topics turn to this topic and continue to pour down insults on veiled women.

I know you are having marriage problems, you've posted enough on your current situation; does taking a virtual crap on egywomen going to make you feel any better?

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general, many clothes in Egypt are made from polyester, and personally I can't for the life of me imagine wearing that stuff in the heat of summer. Many women wear several layers of skin tight polyester clothing even during the hottest months, I have no idea how they cope.

Regarding scarfs -- the more expensive scarfs are made from silk, or a silk / cotton mix. But expensive by Egyptian standards is not necessarily expensive by European standards. You can get a very nice quality silk scarf starting from about 60 LE, or for much less if you buy it at the wekalat al balah (the fabric market) rather than from the fancy hijab stores.

Most scarfs are polyester or cotton, and not all of the polyester scarfs are bad. I have some that are made from very lightweight material, and they feel okay even on hot days. Plus, you usually wear an underscarf / bone underneath, and those are almost exclusively made from cotton.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sara_uk:
metinoot very good point but the thing is even in Saudi they do not change to something more comfy, and they can afford it.

During summer do you see Saudi women outside?

I haven't been to KSA, but a handful of the Somali women at where I volunteer have lived in KSA growing up and some have female relatives living there now.

From what I understand and have heard women don't go outside for 5 months a year due to 140 farenheit weather in KSA.

Men do go outside, but usually promptly to a vehicle. Still I can see why they have different cloth for different seasons.

What the expats working in petro companies do to survive summer heat, I cannot imagine.

My sister in-laws do have linen pants and cotton tunics for summer. But their veils are a sheer rayon or polyester blend, you cannot see through the veils but after donning the veil in transport between Cairo and Alex polyester blends depending on "sheerness" does feel cooler than most linen on the market.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do women who work in Saudi get to work... teleportation?

And yes, women are permitted to work... I hear they are even allowed to go to the market to buy food as well.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
How do women who work in Saudi get to work... teleportation?

And yes, women are permitted to work... I hear they are even allowed to go to the market to buy food as well.

You are speaking hypothetically aren't you?

I was refering to Saudi women. Expat women who are working as domestics might do some shopping, but from what I have been told male servants often do the shopping for household items, not personal items for women.

Yes women are permitted to work, but in certain job functions and in certain companies. In KSA its legal turn down an applicant because of their gender.

Now I understand you are provoking an arguement, if thats what you want to do with your summer off is to fight online why not pick fights with as many people as possible?

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you consider my responding to a question with a factual answer to be provoking an arguement you should up the meds darling.!!!

You asked about women going outside in Saudi... I think I responded to the question with minimal sarcasm based on the stupidity of the question...

Volunteering eh sweetheart. Still unemployable then, ever considered that it is because you are not the sharpest pencil in the case [Wink]

Who has summer off? aaaaaaaaaaaahh you are still in la la land that I am a TA here in Egypt ...

I wish I had summer off... I do miss working in schools [Frown] but hey, I am my own boss so I guess I will take the week of that the girls from the UK fly over so I can spend some time with them.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nasto
Member # 17091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasto   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you cannot compare KSA to Somali. KSA as well as other Gulf countries, where living standards are high, has centralized air conditioning. So, people just do not suffer from heat. Even more, they set indoor temperature so low that extra scarf or abaya would not hurt at all. Women go out, of course, but they do not walk the streets: straight to a car and from the car into a building. They are not allowed to drive. So, their families either arrange for them a driver or husband/son must give a ride. I have a friend in SA who is working in a school. Her husband is dropping and picking her up.

Another thing is that the definition of veil is different in many Muslim countries. For example, in Emirates, Pakistan or Sudan, women wear scarfs loose. They allow scarfs to slip from their heads and every while fix them back. While in Egypt the scarf must be tightly fixed.

Posts: 132 | From: Alex | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
If you consider my responding to a question with a factual answer to be provoking an arguement you should up the meds darling.!!!

You asked about women going outside in Saudi... I think I responded to the question with minimal sarcasm based on the stupidity of the question...

Volunteering eh sweetheart. Still unemployable then, ever considered that it is because you are not the sharpest pencil in the case [Wink]

Who has summer off? aaaaaaaaaaaahh you are still in la la land that I am a TA here in Egypt ...

I wish I had summer off... I do miss working in schools [Frown] but hey, I am my own boss so I guess I will take the week of that the girls from the UK fly over so I can spend some time with them.

I think if women have to go out in Saudi during the summer they get right into the air conditioned car that they driver has cooled down for them. Then they get right out of the car and back inside a building. I haven't been to Saudi either, but I have been to Dubai in June and there were plenty of women wearing black polyester. I did see them inside the air conditioned mall but did not see them anywhere else on the streets. So I imagine they don't spend much time outside.

In Egypt, I mostly see them outside wearing the same tight ployester they wear during the winter. I don't see how they cope either.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Metinoot, makes you wonder how they afford all the cars that are on the roads too huh? [Big Grin]

Or how they afford to send their kids to International schools.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
I think if women have to go out in Saudi during the summer they get right into the air conditioned car that they driver has cooled down for them. Then they get right out of the car and back inside a building. I haven't been to Saudi either, but I have been to Dubai in June and there were plenty of women wearing black polyester. I did see them inside the air conditioned mall but did not see them anywhere else on the streets. So I imagine they don't spend much time outside.

In Egypt, I mostly see them outside wearing the same tight ployester they wear during the winter. I don't see how they cope either.

Dubai is worlds away from Saudi culture.

Dubai is worlds away from the culture of other Emirate cities.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Nasto:
Well, you cannot compare KSA to Somali. KSA as well as other Gulf countries, where living standards are high, has centralized air conditioning. So, people just do not suffer from heat. Even more, they set indoor temperature so low that extra scarf or abaya would not hurt at all. Women go out, of course, but they do not walk the streets: straight to a car and from the car into a building. They are not allowed to drive. So, their families either arrange for them a driver or husband/son must give a ride. I have a friend in SA who is working in a school. Her husband is dropping and picking her up.

Another thing is that the definition of veil is different in many Muslim countries. For example, in Emirates, Pakistan or Sudan, women wear scarfs loose. They allow scarfs to slip from their heads and every while fix them back. While in Egypt the scarf must be tightly fixed.

Nasto read my post again.

I stated Somali in KSA.

There was a Kuwaitti woman living in my building years ago and she wouldn't discuss anything about Kuwaitti culture only her shopping trips to Manhattan. [Roll Eyes]

I did go to school with a Saudi woman who had a "friend" an Christian woman from Jordan who was a daughter of their governess. Obviously the family was sending both of them to school in the USA. Yet the Saudi woman no matter how badly she treated the Jordan woman had some rather sickening things to say about how Saudis treat their own women and their non-Saudi servants.

anthropos
Member # 9410

quote:
quote:
quote:
anthropos,

You've been on this board for a few years and you are well aware bring up this point is going to start a b*tchfest on egywomen.

This thread gets posted at least a couple times a year. Threads on other topics turn to this topic and continue to pour down insults on veiled women.

I know you are having marriage problems, you've posted enough on your current situation; does taking a virtual crap on egywomen going to make you feel any better?

I did not post this to start some fighting. I am genuinely just interested in how women wearing scarfs in Egypt cope in summertime. How is that taking a virtual crap on Egyptian women???? And I cannot post about anything else because I have marriage problems? How stupid is that!!!
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

I haven't been to KSA, but a handful of the Somali women at where I volunteer have lived in KSA growing up and some have female relatives living there now.

From what I understand and have heard women don't go outside for 5 months a year due to 140 farenheit weather in KSA.

Men do go outside, but usually promptly to a vehicle. Still I can see why they have different cloth for different seasons.

What the expats working in petro companies do to survive summer heat, I cannot imagine.

My sister in-laws do have linen pants and cotton tunics for summer. But their veils are a sheer rayon or polyester blend, you cannot see through the veils but after donning the veil in transport between Cairo and Alex polyester blends depending on "sheerness" does feel cooler than most linen on the market.

Lol Yes, I grew up in Saudi and lived there for 18 years, yes we use to go back from school in hot afternoon wearing black gown from head to toe, I brought Saudi as an example because I lived there, yes people do not go out if they do not have to but if you go to school or college then yes you leave the house!
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
I did not post this to start some fighting. I am genuinely just interested in how women wearing scarfs in Egypt cope in summertime. How is that taking a virtual crap on Egyptian women???? And I cannot post about anything else because I have marriage problems? How stupid is that!!!

Whats stupid is the fact that this becomes such a huge discussion point by women who don't experience such conditions.

Why not just private message an actual veiled Muslimah on this board? Or join an actual forum in which everyday Egyptian veiled women post and ask them directly?

I suppose the only Egyptian woman who will respond will be 7ayat and she will chime in and echo the sentiments of the usernames who have posted already. Otherwise 98% of the posts in this thread will come from unveiled westerners.

So whats the point of posting this thread anyhow?

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lol Yes, I grew up in Saudi and lived there for 18 years, yes we use to go back from school in hot afternoon wearing black gown from head to toe, I brought Saudi as an example because I lived there, yes people do not go out if they do not have to but if you go to school or college then yes you leave the house!
OOO I didn't know you grew up in Saudi... well I'll be, I grew up in Bahrian... you were only over the bridge. Neighbours [Wink]
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:

Okay great actual real-life experience instead of listening to the culture assassinations from TV.

Now what were the months in which you went to school?

And how much of the year could you study from home? I know KSA has options for distance learning, whether thats recorded lectures and turning assignments in before exams. Not all class lectures need to be in person for females.

*hint I know someone who spent 7 years designing circulumn for Saudi girls and women.

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why not just private message an actual veiled Muslimah on this board? Or join an actual forum in which everyday Egyptian veiled women post and ask them directly?

I suppose the only Egyptian woman who will respond will be 7ayat and she will chime in and echo the sentiments of the usernames who have posted already. Otherwise 98% of the posts in this thread will come from unveiled westerners.

For God's sake, please lighten up! This is a perfectly harmless thread about a perfectly legitimite question. Why does it have to evolve into a silly fight? [Roll Eyes] [Frown]

I'm a member of a board for Muslim women where more than 50% of the members do not veil, yet we have discussions about hijab fashion, wrapping techniques etc. in which everyone participates. Even women who don't usually cover wear headscarfs sometimes, for various reasons. And some people are just interested in the aesthetic or practical aspects of headscarfs, nothing wrong with that.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

Okay great actual real-life experience instead of listening to the culture assassinations from TV.

And how much of the year could you study from home? I know KSA has options for distance learning, whether thats recorded lectures and turning assignments in before exams. Not all class lectures need to be in person for females.

*hint I know someone who spent 7 years designing circulumn for Saudi girls and women.

Yes CF, unfortunately I grew up there!

There was no distance learning when I was there, I went primary school up to high school, most of the year, I walked from school to home not far but the time we leave is baking hot! as growing up I always wondered why do we have to wear these sun absorbing materials, they simply do not care!
Where as men get two different materials for each season

anthropos
Member # 9410

the point, as stated in the original post, is to gather information on the fashion of scarves used in summer in Egypt, especially in the summertime. point blank.
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
quote:
the point, as stated in the original post, is to gather information on the fashion of scarves used in summer in Egypt, especially in the summertime. point blank.

I think it is a valid point and thread
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes CF, unfortunately I grew up there!

There was no distance learning when I was there, I went primary school up to high school, most of the year, I walked from school to home not far but the time we leave is baking hot! as growing up I always wondered why do we have to wear these sun absorbing materials, they simply do not care!
Where as men get two different materials for each season

School hours were 7am - 1pm so we were home for the sweltering 2 - 4pm period when I was schooling, and I thought I had it tough as socks were compulsary!!!
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Dubai is worlds away from the culture of other Emirate cities.

I wasn't talking about the culture - I was talking about the heat. And in that sense it's not that much different because you find women in UAE covered in layers of black polyester abayas.
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
lol CF you complaining socks, how about gloves ??they were compulsory in my school.
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to avoid having to go out when it's above 90 degrees, though of course it can't be helped sometimes as the heat lasts for too many months of the year here, but when I do go out in the heat I just wear scarves of lighter material, generally a lightweight cotton.

I have some heavier ones that are great for winter and wouldn't do for summer at all. They are even good to wear as a wrap on my shoulders in the winter to keep warm.

I do have some rather sheer scarves and they are great for summer except I generally find that the more sheer they are the smaller in size they are, and I don't like small scarves, even with a head covering underneath.

I can't dress in layers like some of the girls/women here do. I get heatstroke just looking at them. I wear clothes that are as lightweight as possible.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
quote:

For God's sake, please lighten up! This is a perfectly harmless thread about a perfectly legitimite question. Why does it have to evolve into a silly fight? [Roll Eyes] [Frown]

I'm a member of a board for Muslim women where more than 50% of the members do not veil, yet we have discussions about hijab fashion, wrapping techniques etc. in which everyone participates. Even women who don't usually cover wear headscarfs sometimes, for various reasons. And some people are just interested in the aesthetic or practical aspects of headscarfs, nothing wrong with that.

Because ES has a history of starting "innocent" threads which turn into insult after insult and no feedback from practicing Egyptian Muslimahs at all.

But as you notice here on ES very few Egyptian women actually post. This board, ES, is not the other board you chat on where there are abundant amount of Muslimahs. ES has a deficeit of people who are of the population this board is meant to be about.

These threads are completely one sided, and it makes western secular women look evil.

Overtime the usernames who attempt to agree with the general element of colonialism leave quickly. In the past before 2006 the Egyptian usernames who didn't appreciate the character assassination of their people posted more often, started threads, and were around longer.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

This is how it starts:

I was just wondering what Egyptian women are wearing in the summer heat? Are the best scarves made of silk or linen or cotton? I would imagine that synthetic materials are very uncomfortable in hot weather.
Silk is of course wonderful because it is cool in heat and warm in cool weather but perhaps is too expensive for most women? Linen is light but doesn´t look very good because it crumbles easily?

In otherwords its a negative question on a forum which is overwhelmingly western secular women who refuse to approach any subject with an open mind.

No your marriage doesn't have to be in good shape to ask these questions. Plenty of "happily married" secular western women have approached this topic with negative questions and it still turned into character assassination.

Then we have Arab women attempt to sound "westernized" and have no problem with this type of slander. [Roll Eyes]

Seriously it took USA until 1970 to consider the term "boy" towards a black man of adult age to be an insult, but the rest of western secularized societies just doesn't understand quite yet.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb] the point, as stated in the original post, is to gather information on the fashion of scarves used in summer in Egypt, especially in the summertime. point blank.

This is how it starts:

In otherwords its a negative question on a forum which is overwhelmingly western secular women who refuse to approach any subject with an open mind.

Its a perfectly valid and normal question, not negative in any way. The 'mind' problem is yours.

quote:
No your marriage doesn't have to be in good shape to ask these questions. Plenty of "happily married" secular western women have approached this topic with negative questions and it still turned into character assassination.
You are the only one assasinating someones character. What if a man asked this question, which he has every right to ask, would you attack him too for not being a woman?

quote:
Then we have Arab women attempt to sound "westernized" and have no problem with this type of slander. [Roll Eyes]
again the only slander is form you. Asking what type of scarves women here wear in summer is no type of slander at all, only your perception is twisted.

quote:
Seriously it took USA until 1970 to consider the term "boy" towards a black man of adult age to be an insult, but the rest of western secularized societies just doesn't understand quite yet.
Wrong, 'we' understood that long before you in USA seemed to understand it as you still use it as an insulting term, although what the hell that has to do with what type of scarves women in Egypt wear I have no idea!
[Roll Eyes]

definately time to up the meds sono, you have lost it. OR you are trawling for a fight and saw anthropos as a target as TL aint biting [Wink]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sara_uk:
[qb]

Assumption assumption lol, I am not an Arab if you are referring to me, I grew up in Saudi does not make me an Arab, like CF grew up in Bahrain she is defiantly not an Arab.

Anyway back to the point, the thread is legitimate topic, and everyone can voice their opinion in public forum, questioning things are not against Islam, wearing scarves that sun friendly not against Islam. There are people who genuinely wanted to know something, and there will be always people who make snide comments, or show their evil side, I have been long enough in ES to know who are these people.

Back to the topic, all my family wear the abya, and I always tell my sister wear lighter clothes, to her it is all about been covered, without her hijab been compromised, for example cotton stick to the body, so she can’t wear it, bright colours will be attractive. The only thing she will wear, gray abya in the summer, and black in the winter.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
lmao @ CF is definately not an Arab... But I have Egyptian eyes [Wink]

I have enjoyed reading this thread, I like all unique questions and not just the generic crap on Love and Marriage!

GBA
Member # 14862

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GBA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most Saudi's use georgette fabrics. In Egypt, they call it Saudi Crepe, but watch out people often will try to sell Egyptian Crepe or Korean Crepe as Saudi Crepe.

Saudi crepe is light weight and cool in the heat. Most proper Saudi niqabs are made from this

Posts: 140 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sara_uk:
[qb]

Assumption assumption lol, I am not an Arab if you are referring to me, I grew up in Saudi does not make me an Arab, like CF grew up in Bahrain she is defiantly not an Arab.

Anyway back to the point, the thread is legitimate topic, and everyone can voice their opinion in public forum, questioning things are not against Islam, wearing scarves that sun friendly not against Islam. There are people who genuinely wanted to know something, and there will be always people who make snide comments, or show their evil side, I have been long enough in ES to know who are these people.

Back to the topic, all my family wear the abya, and I always tell my sister wear lighter clothes, to her it is all about been covered, without her hijab been compromised, for example cotton stick to the body, so she can’t wear it, bright colours will be attractive. The only thing she will wear, gray abya in the summer, and black in the winter.

And where in my posts did I assume you were Arab?

The quoted typed words of mine above is not directed at you, how could you assume otherwise?

From what I remember there has been plenty of expat children who did attend Saudi schools in the past but its getting more difficult for expats to bring their families to KSA to live.

I know you want to be part of the drama and make virtual friends, but you don't have to contort and change the meaning of other username's posts in order to get their attention.

Besides this thread was supposed to be about wearing scarfs in Egypt.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
And where in my posts did I assume you were Arab?

The quoted typed words of mine above is not directed at you, how could you assume otherwise?

possibly as sara is the only one up to then that posted she had grown up in Saudi and went to school there and that you know the rest posting on this thread are western anyway. You assumed she was Arab and given her 'sara UK' ID assumed she was trying to sound 'westernized'

quote:
From what I remember there has been plenty of expat children who did attend Saudi schools in the past but its getting more difficult for expats to bring their families to KSA to live.
but they didnt post on this thread, you cant expect us all to know which direction your thought process is off to next sono.

quote:
I know you want to be part of the drama and make virtual friends, but you don't have to contort and change the meaning of other username's posts in order to get their attention.
You do it all the time! She wasnt distorting anything and the drama only started when you started to post, as normal.

quote:
Besides this thread was supposed to be about wearing scarfs in Egypt.
Are you wearing the veil now? if not why would you even wonder about this? [Wink]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Scarves not scarfs...

PLEASE!!!

How hard is it to grasp the plural rule for apparently educated people?

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol..I've seen others write wifes and definately..mind you they're British citizens. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Wife's can be used in the possessive sense but never as a plural.

I will learn you all to talk proper [Wink] JOKE

Are jokes banned??? Just checking before the joke police turn up!

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
anthropos,

so Sono why did you start a thread about how many bathrooms are in 1 flat...why would you wonder about this? [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think polyester might actually be a "cold-blooded" material retaining its own temperature no matter what it is outside? The way snakes and frogs do. It does so in cold, at least - it never "absorbs" the cold, that's why polyester sheets are so popular with people who do not heat their homes.
I have no idea how it behaves in heat but I am wondering if perhaps it is then also better that we think? Maybe it is an even better protector against heat than cotton, for example?

Cotton is actually a pretty "hot" material, linen and silk are both cooler. But the problem with natural materials is that they do not keep colour very well. It fades in sun as well as in washing, and also these materials are not so easy to wash - they do not become clean so easily and you need to rinse much more to get the detergent out. Also, polyester does not wrinkle in washing, or when you wear it, I think (?). So you do not need to iron and always look impeccable and as if wearing your newest costume. "Slouchy rich", meaning wearing expensive linen or cotton that is albeit wrinkled and perhaps even a bit faded, is I think not a notion that catches here [Smile] . Here you need to look "adab".

While many people I think simply do not differentiate. No one has ever told them of the different mateerials and how they feel. Or what? I think I am the only person in Shebin who always checks labels before I buy, and last year I asked for linen pants in a shop where they had them 3 years ago and then they said "oh yes, linen was in fashion in that year, but it is not any more" (!)

BTW Do you really get natural silk anywhere in Cairo? (I mean in normal price places) Or do you mean viscose when you speak about those silk scarves on wekalat al balah?

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:

BTW Do you really get natural silk anywhere in Cairo? (I mean in normal price places) Or do you mean viscose when you speak about those silk scarves on wekalat al balah?

As I said, you do get silk in many places. I know the difference between viscose and silk. [Smile]
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Wink]
Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
I like viscose very much, btw. [Smile] Not for scarves, but for tops, summer dresses and skirts. It's soft and breathable, and I like the way it *flows*. I never wear silk clothes since they stick to your skin when you sweat.
nevermind
Member # 6674

Well, the first question would be - from where do you get silk clothes, anyway [Smile] . but silk is quite impractical for everyday wearing, yes - it does not like to be washed, swetting really eats into it etc.

But I love those savvy new textiles that mix many materials and kind of offer the best of each. So there might be mixed silk-mix textiles that are breathable and cool, but still easy to take care of. Like I have (had) a DKNY top I purchased in Sharm, it was produced here but perhaps did not make into the export line or something. It was 80% cotton, 20% acrylic. Nice for those Sharm winters when cotton alone gets a bit cold - this one was still warm, but comfortable like regular cotton.

But in Egypt I am definitely a linen person. So - please - anything gorgeous you ladies here see in linen, anywhere (inside Egypt [Smile] ), or even anything simple and practical - please tell!

Nasto
Member # 17091

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nasto   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen a big collection of cotton and linen items in one of the Omar Sheriff boutiques in Mohandesin.
Posts: 132 | From: Alex | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
I bought several linen pants from Rojada. They have very nice clothes anyway, many of them made from natural fabrics.
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:

maybe i'm interested in fashion, materials or whatever.

You might enjoy this blog. I love it. [Smile]

http://www.hijabshigh.com/

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com