EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Magic Jack

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magic Jack
Ocean Blue
Member # 15974

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Ocean Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do any of you living in Egypt use a gadget called Magic Jack? Supposedly you can plug it into your computer and make unlimited international calls to the USA. Sounds too good to be true. Any experience with this?
Posts: 24 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its a lie they do not work.. my mom bought one and it wouldnt work. and they billed her for 2.and when she wanted to return it there was no return address and no phone number to call. what a load of crock...i wouldnt recomend this to my worst enemy.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs Hassan
Member # 15069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Hassan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocean Blue:
Do any of you living in Egypt use a gadget called Magic Jack? Supposedly you can plug it into your computer and make unlimited international calls to the USA. Sounds too good to be true. Any experience with this?

Yip I have, an american friend of mine uses it and it works.
I will get more details from them and let you have the info.

Posts: 129 | From: In the land of plenty | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They do work. My inlaws brought theirs over from Egypt with them as they have lots of family and friends in the USA and Canada and they've been using it on my PC as well as on their laptop in Cairo
Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried google voice? It's free within the US, but requires a web browser to make calls at the moment (no standalone software). I'm curious to know if it would work overseas calling a US number.
Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magic Jack works fine with me, (I call family in L.A. every now and then) all you pay is like 40 USD and plug the device into your USB, then hook your Egyptian line to it, its worth getting if you're calling the US and Canada, as the sound is clear, its like calling a land line for free. [Smile]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korvinos
Member # 18202

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korvinos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Australia ?!

--------------------
Get busy living or get busy dying.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i borrowed one from my husbands friend last year and used it. it worked well. wish i had one
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs Hassan
Member # 15069

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrs Hassan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Information from my friend.
information regarding "Magicjack", it is a small device similar to a flash drive that you insert in a USB port of a computer and connect it from the other side to any telephone. However when you buy it ($40 first year) and use it for first time, it will download its program on your computer, it will ask you for your USA address then it will give you a USA telephone number. So whenever you travel and has access to internet you hook your device and you would have a USA telephone line available to make unlimited calls to any number in USA and Canada. it cost $20 a year for renewal

--------------------
MRS HASSAN

Posts: 129 | From: In the land of plenty | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ford Prefect (not perfect):
Have you tried google voice? It's free within the US, but requires a web browser to make calls at the moment (no standalone software). I'm curious to know if it would work overseas calling a US number.

Yes from Asia it works free and fine. You can call cellphones as well as landlines. [Smile]
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Exiiled:
Yes from Asia it works free and fine. You can call cellphones as well as landlines. [Smile]

Awesome, thanks for the info mate!
Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would seem I'm the only one here using it that has a horrible connection when I call. There is almost always static and delay and often times even if I can hear the person on the other end, they can't hear me.
It wasn't a complete waste of money, but 9 times out of 10, it's a pain in the patootie!

Also, I would not recommend mailing them here as there is a very good chance they will be confiscated at the post office. Better to bring it in your luggage when you or someone else comes. VOIP was illegal in Egypt last I heard.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean Blue
Member # 15974

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for all the info! And thank you Mrs Hassan for the extra research. This is great.
Posts: 24 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hebafoad62
Member # 18419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hebafoad62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used MagicJack for the past 1 year, and I used it in Egypt, London, and Paris. I used it over there and have not experienced any problem. I bought it in Egypt though, I highly recommended it.
I would not recommend mailing it to Egypt as there is a very good chance it will be confiscated at the post office.

Posts: 2 | From: Fairfax, VA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magic jack needs to be set up with a US area code in the phone number. So once you have it set up you can take it anywhere in the world and call back to the US for free and people can call you for the same price as a local call. There is a way to buy credits if you want to call a different country - similar to Skype. It works just fine from Egypt to the US.

@ LOVED ONE: I used to have the same problem you are describing. But then started using it on a different computer and it was clear as a bell. Could be your computer and not the internet connection causing the problem.

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dsaa
Member # 15063

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dsaa   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where can i buy the magic jack in Egypt?i am living in Nasr city
Posts: 26 | From: usa | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adelly
Member # 14574

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for adelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would love to have one also.
Posts: 313 | From: maadi cairo | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian7
Member # 12215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one and it works well
but i didnt buy it from Egypt

--------------------
islam

Posts: 2447 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hebafoad62
Member # 18419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hebafoad62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought mine through one American guy who was selling it for 500 Egytian Pounds, he was studying in Cairo and had a few with him, if you want I can check with him if it is still available?
Posts: 2 | From: Fairfax, VA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mario626
Member # 18453

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mario626   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i want to buy a magic jack any one knows??
Posts: 3 | From: alexender | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mario626
Member # 18453

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mario626   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any magic jack for sale????please let me know

my cell# 01502571611

Posts: 3 | From: alexender | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mario626
Member # 18453

Rate Member

my cell# 01502571611

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mario$la:

my cell# 01502571611

well my mom has one i thought she had 2 but she would sell it to ya for 20$ plus shipping.
she wont take a stolen credit card either cash or bank draft we are crazy but not fools.if u wanna buy it u can call her and i will send ya the number.u can buy a new one for 40$

Amazon.com Show all 3Hide all 5,026 seller ratings New $39.95

Best Buy 1,169 seller ratings New $39.99
Sears 1,282 seller ratings New Tax: $2.80 + Shipping: $6.95 $49.74 $39.99
Office Depot 2,558 seller ratings New Tax: $3.50 + Shipping: $9.95 $53.44 $39.99
Walgreens 107 seller ratings New Tax: $2.80 + Free shipping $42.79 $39.99

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=magic+jack+price&revid=-1&wrapid=tlif12936573845251&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7928431917712171160&ei=NaUbTZKNAY74nAeGivSDDg&sa=X&oi=product_c atalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCsQ8wIwAg#

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmbiBambi
Member # 18389

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmbiBambi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea I use it with my husband everyday..it awsome saves us tons on intl calling..only problem is it wont work if the internet goes out. Otherwise it's great!!

Oh and if anyone wants one make sure you ave someone bring it with them from the states..customs wont let it past something about ministry of communications... I dont min bringing one for someone, but I wont be back to egypt till april

Oh and you can call Canada unlimited also.

Tina the reason yours probab'ly didnt work is if your usb ports are strong enough in this case you need to buy a powered usb port [Smile]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dsaa:
where can i buy the magic jack in Egypt?i am living in Nasr city

only sold retail in US
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by AmbiBambi:
Yea I use it with my husband everyday..it awsome saves us tons on intl calling..only problem is it wont work if the internet goes out. Otherwise it's great!!

Oh and if anyone wants one make sure you ave someone bring it with them from the states..customs wont let it past something about ministry of communications... I dont min bringing one for someone, but I wont be back to egypt till april

Oh and you can call Canada unlimited also.

Tina the reason yours probab'ly didnt work is if your usb ports are strong enough in this case you need to buy a powered usb port [Smile]

her comp is old maybe thats y. but oooo well np i love my phone company, free calls in the us and what 10$ a month for international calls. np.
AmbiBambi
Member # 18389

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmbiBambi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. but oooo well np i love my phone company, free calls in the us and what 10$ a month for international calls. np. [/QB][/QUOTE]

WHAT!?!? $10mo??? What company do you have, I need a new one!!

Posts: 19 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
mediacom cable its like 5 cents a min to egypt and mexico

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

hafsa
Member # 1890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hafsa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I have a majic jack that I bought in the States. It has never been used because I use Skype. I am willing to sell it since I don't use it. If anyone is interested, pm me or call 0103454019.
I am selling it for $60.
If others are interested to buy, I can bring more back in a few months as I will be traveling back to the States soon.

Thanks.

Posts: 138 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmbiBambi
Member # 18389

Rate Member
It only cost $40....Way to help people out [Razz]

Always trying to make money on others mis fortune.. Like I stated before I would be glad to bring some over without charging an extra fee....

AmbiBambi
Member # 18389

Rate Member
Thanks Tina I'll look into wither thats available here.. oh and I think You added my husband on FB the other day [Wink]
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by hafsa:
Hi. I have a majic jack that I bought in the States. It has never been used because I use Skype. I am willing to sell it since I don't use it. If anyone is interested, pm me or call 0103454019.
I am selling it for $60.
If others are interested to buy, I can bring more back in a few months as I will be traveling back to the States soon.

Thanks.

It's only $39.88 at WalMart. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.walmart.com/ip/MagicJack-USB-Voice-over-IP-Yearly-Telephone-Service-for-19.95/11962556
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by AmbiBambi:
Thanks Tina I'll look into wither thats available here.. oh and I think You added my husband on FB the other day [Wink]

mmm yr husband who is yr husband?lol have no clue. i dont talk to them unless i know them sometimes i only add for games... but if one of my friends want a mojic jack my mom is sellin hers for 20$

who is yr hubby?

AmbiBambi
Member # 18389

Rate Member
His name is Amr, I'm friends with Micky, Nic n everybody [Smile]
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
i dont know dear... lol but if yr husband is in my friends hes safe with me lolol.....u can add me if ya want.

--------------------

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
ya yr right i see who u are as well lol and he is the only amr in my friends so he was eay to find. i dont rember y i added him. maybe i thought he was someone else who knows...ooo well np

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com