EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Christmas memories - what are yours?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Christmas memories - what are yours?
Audrey Hepburn
Member # 11579

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Audrey Hepburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are your childhood memories of Christmas. Mine definately involves avoiding my mum's Christmas cake...

As a child I loved my mother’s apple crumble. It was perfect. Golden, crumbled to within an inch of its life and sweet enough to make your teeth stand on end. However, her Christmas cake, her pride and joy, was another tale. I feel this story should come with a disclaimer, being, and “OK so I lied. Sorry mum, but I was not alone!”

Dry, very dry, and brown in a burned, as opposed to golden fashion. We dutifully warned our friends in hushed voices, “Say you don’t like fruitcake but be polite. She’ll look hurt but don’t give in” we urged.

My mother’s Christmas cake lasted weeks after the wrapping paper had been cleared away; the tree, tinsel and smell of sherry had gone. “Just a thin slice” we said. “It’s very nice – but awfully filling”. She smiled.

Posts: 233 | From: uk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A favourite christmas childhood memory of mine is beliving in Santa Claus and putting milk and mince pies outside for him and his reindeer to enjoy. During the night there was a big frost and my brother took the dog for a walk to convince me that the footprints were Santa's and Rudolph's [Smile]

Was always quite disturbed by real life Santa's and had this weird phobia of being burgled midway through the year as we were told he had a key to the house!!!

As I type me mam is in the kitchen making some mince pies to take out to a NYE party [Smile]

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Santa used to go round the town in a float (it was done by the local Rotary Club). This particular year when I was wee I had chickenpox and mum decided to wrap me up and take me out in the car to see him. We could hear the music but couldn't find him anywhere [Frown] Which as it turned out was just aswell as my dad was Santa that night [Big Grin] Anyway Santa came to the house the following night so all was well [Big Grin]
I used to love when I had 'The Night Before Christmas' read to me (still have the book which was given to my dad when he was a baby!) and leaving milk and a mince pie out before I went to bed then desparately trying to get to sleep in case he didn't come.
Then there was my mum setting fire to the table cloth as she lit the Christmas pudding, way to much brandy in it lol!
Favourite ever present was a beautiful 'Lundby' dolls house that I got when I was 8 [Big Grin]
Oh soooooo many memories I could mention but I'll stop now [Big Grin]

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stacey. That was my sweetheart in 6th grade. I was so in love with her. Few days before Christmas break our school had an after school trip to the 'Nutcracker' in Lincoln center. This was before I dated her officially, she was still dating this dude from another school. Anyway, when I saw her get on the bus, it was one of the greatest feelings. She sat right next me, and I was wooing her forever. Writing her notes, buying her candy, riding the big kids swings at the school park, hanging out, while she was still dating the moron. We sat next to each other watching the nutcracker, a truly romantic feeling, before I even knew what romance was. After that night she became my girl, we spent a lot of time together over the break, and each and every day we “french kissed” after school. This is signifcant because i hadn't french kissed before. A beautiful memory. My first love.
Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Christmas as a very nice time of the year together with my parents, brother and sister.
We played games in front of the fireplace, mum made nice dinners.
I hated the cold outside so it was perfect we didn't have to go to school for 14 days.
It was all good.

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember, when I was 9, going downstairs late on Christmas Eve, and seeing the whole family merrily wrapping up presents under the tree. I copped a right rollocking for sneaking down. So I said, no it's ok Dad. I knew there was no Santa since I was 6, when my brother made me stand on his shoulders so we could go through all the pressies they'd hidden on top of the wardrobe. I was unanimously unpopular that year. [Frown]

My mum said another year they caught me untwisting all the crackers, nicking the little plastic moustaches and frogs and carefully putting them back again. But I find that hard to believe. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Untwisting crackers lol...

We used to steal the chocolate off the tree, only the ones from the back so no-one would notice.

Every year until I emigrated we would always have a 2nd Christmas in Feb too. We believe that Christmas is way too much fun to be only done once a year.

I am looking forward to Christmas here, we have so much planned and NYE we are taking a yacht out for the night [Big Grin] Cannot wait to party on the water with good friends [Smile] I love NYE so much.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com