EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Mod (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mod
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I invent swear words like I have to in the Club when kids are in?
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well as you know CF, any word in the UK said in a particular way can be a swear word - if you choose to say "sugar" in an emphatic way, I won't be editing it!
Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent... until then I will stick to my fiddlesticks and harumphs.
Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can we say pooh?

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes because that is not an expletive unless of course said in an emphatic way. After all, we have Pooh Bear.

Anyway, stop with the silliness, I am not going to go through a whole list of naughty but not censorable words!

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Crikey, no swear words or silliness. Can we still be sarcastic?... if not then I will have to move over to EM, some things in life are innate.
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we post stuff like that>>> [Confused]

Dear Sir/Madam,

Good day to you.

I will like you to look into the content of the mail before responding.

As you receive this mail proposal, I have with me the sum of

$38,000,000.00 (Thirty eight million US dollars) and we are in need for you to

help us keep this funds in your safe account or invest.

These funds were moved from money belonging to Saddam Hussein, the

total is $38,000,000.00(Thirty eight million US dollars) this funds is

being kept safe in a secured location since then.

Can I trust you and rely on your confidentiality? When this funds get

to you, We will divide the total funds in three ways, You will take

20%, and 30% will be for me, and my superior will take 40%. 10% will be

kept aside for expenses.

For how the funds came about you can go to this web link to read about

events that took place here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2988455.stm

My name is col. Ronald Johnson; I’m American Soldier serving in the

Third infantry Division in Iraq. Since I'm still serving in the military

and working for the government. My superior and I cannot keep these

funds in our personal account; we have decided to look for someone to help

us keep this funds this is why I have contacted you, so you can keep it

for us in your safe account or invest.

Signifying your interest by sending your confidential telephone/fax

numbers for quick communication and also your contact details and I will

send you the full details. This business should be treated with utmost

confidential, and it should not be discussed with anyone.

When you receive this letter and you are unable to assist please delete

this message and keep confidential or you can also kindly reply me via

my private e-mail: <Email address removed>

Yours sincerely,

col. Ronald Johnson

[ 04. January 2011, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Shanta Qadeama ]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

My silliness comment pertains to what words will or will not be censored.
As to sarcasm, ok but be gentle on the non-Brits who often take it at face value unaccustomed as they are to deadpan, straight-faced British humour!

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
Crikey, no swear words or silliness. Can we still be sarcastic?... if not then I will have to move over to EM, some things in life are innate.

no silliness?

Power corrupts! [Big Grin]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

@DZ - yes you can but without the email address which I have kindly edited out for you [Wink]
I'm sure you know some of our readers may well fall for it judging from the Love & Marriage section! [Razz]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Can we post stuff like that>>> [Confused]

Dear Sir/Madam,

Good day to you.

I will like you to look into the content of the mail before responding.

As you receive this mail proposal, I have with me the sum of

$38,000,000.00 (Thirty eight million US dollars) and we are in need for you to

help us keep this funds in your safe account or invest.

These funds were moved from money belonging to Saddam Hussein, the

total is $38,000,000.00(Thirty eight million US dollars) this funds is

being kept safe in a secured location since then.

Can I trust you and rely on your confidentiality? When this funds get

to you, We will divide the total funds in three ways, You will take

20%, and 30% will be for me, and my superior will take 40%. 10% will be

kept aside for expenses.

For how the funds came about you can go to this web link to read about

events that took place here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2988455.stm

My name is col. Ronald Johnson; I’m American Soldier serving in the

Third infantry Division in Iraq. Since I'm still serving in the military

and working for the government. My superior and I cannot keep these

funds in our personal account; we have decided to look for someone to help

us keep this funds this is why I have contacted you, so you can keep it

for us in your safe account or invest.

Signifying your interest by sending your confidential telephone/fax

numbers for quick communication and also your contact details and I will

send you the full details. This business should be treated with utmost

confidential, and it should not be discussed with anyone.

When you receive this letter and you are unable to assist please delete

this message and keep confidential or you can also kindly reply me via

my private e-mail: <Email address removed>

Yours sincerely,

col. Ronald Johnson

[Eek!] Thieving bastages
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There needs to be an American moderator living in the USA who isn't part of the "battlers" clique.
Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Qadeama:

In the event of a thread getting completely out of control with personal information being dished up etc, then the entire thread may well be deleted.

I do have a private life and will NOT be available 24/7 to deal with spats.

I have no clue what a 'battlers' clique is and it is gone midnight here in Egypt!

Maybe an American mod who is around during American daylight hours might be a good idea though.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

In the event of a thread getting completely out of control with personal information being dished up etc, then the entire thread may well be deleted.

I have no clue what a 'battlers' clique is and it is gone midnight here in Egypt!

Maybe an American mod who is around during American daylight hours might be a good idea though.

Yet "battlers" in the same time zone as yourself is certainly going on about it.

I'll find the thread in which the term was first used, by the main "battler" herself.

Right now I am zoning out of the ES zone, a neighbor friend wants to feed me dinner.

Yeah I am one of the few regulars here with friends outside of ES.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
quote:
quote:
[qb]

Yet "battlers" in the same time zone as yourself is certainly going on about it.
Can we have a translation to English on that?

quote:
I'll find the thread in which the term was first used, by the main "battler" herself.
Maybe that will help in understanding the last sentence

quote:
Right now I am zoning out of the ES zone, a neighbor friend wants to feed me dinner.
Yayy, enjoy.

quote:
and one of the few with no friends inside of ES. Mabruk! [Wink]
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yeah I am one of the few regulars here with friends outside of ES. [/QB][/QUOTE]

how much do you pay them [Big Grin] oh sorry that wasnt very nice...edited [Razz]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Is that with some fava beans, and a nice Chianti?

Ftttttthhhhh [Razz]

OK, I'm all done now. No more, I promise.

[Smile]

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How the hell can I reach this Ho guy ?? [Confused]

Dear

My name is Mr Phan Ho, the branch Manager of Foreign Trade bank Plc in Cambodia, there is an unfinished business transaction in my branch involving a client that bears the same last name with you.

This is a business that will profit both of us, if you are interested get back to me for more details.

I wait for your quick response.

Regards,
Mr Phan Ho

No mailing address , no phone number, no email no nothin' [Mad]

Where the fvck's Cambodia ??? [Confused]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:

Where the [flogiston] is Cambodia ???
[Confused]

Good place for a holiday?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTsXHXMkJA

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Why me, out of all the people in the world ?? [Confused]

--
Assalamualaikum Wr. Wb.

I'm Miss Ariyana Kadaffi from Brunei, a UK base practicing Nurse. i work
with the St George's Healthcare London, Please i want to confirm if this
email address is correct as late Ms. Atifa Yulizam from Qatar wrote it to
me, before i send the details of my message to you, to avoid sending my
message to wrong address.

Best regards
Miss Ariyana Kadaffi

WTF.. [Confused]

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Maybe you're the only one who reads your spam DZ!! As soon as I see anything with too much religion and blessings and dears in the subject from someone I don't know, I don't need to read the rest!
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good work in keeping out spammers,Shanta.
Keep it up! [Smile]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
Keep it up! [Smile]

i second that [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Oro
Member # 17954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D_Oro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chef Mick:
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
Keep it up! [Smile]

i second that [Smile]
ditto... good job! [Smile]
Posts: 770 | From: www.cafepress.com/tahrir_square | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I have cleaned the revolution thread.

Please can people NOT deliberately incite other people and if you think you have been attacked or insulted, please use the NOTIFY button and DON'T respond.

Sometimes I yearn for the (comparatively) calm and gentlemanly behaviour of the Man U Footie and Death Metal boards even though I loathe and detest football with all my heart.

PS I think these threads about the revolution are important to preserve. They are an ongoing record of events as they unfold before people with a personal interest (whatever that may be) and without the benefit of hindsight. It would be a shame if the entire thread was deleted because of a silly squabble and which other moderators may be inclined to do. You guys will probably be quoted in someone's PhD thesis in 20 years time.

Exiiled
Member # 17278

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exiiled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a recommendation. Egypt Travel Updates Sticky. Something that is not overwhelming and most of all factual, using the most reputable sources .e.g updates by State Department, UK foreign office, Australia Foreign Affairs, EU, Embassy statements, etc.

Just my 2 cents. But something like that would be cool. Many people are returning to Egypt including foreign students.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth.

Posts: 2275 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005914

I have put it in the 'Visiting Egypt' section.

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shanta - Can you talk to who ever gave you Mod status and ask there also be a Mod for the Politics section? Thanks
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

OK chaps - I have a project to attend to over the next week (the bowab business is REALLY taking off now [Wink] ) and am spending far too much time pontificating my humble opinions on here, SO if you need some MOD activity please press NOTIFY and I will attend to it once a day (reserving the right to have a whole day off in the next week).

Do remember I only Mod Living, Visiting and Love sections and (a) only receive notifies from and (b) can only action anything in those.

An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I keep deleting SaoPaolo shopping from my areas, but he keeps reposting at the moment minutes later. I will have to zap it tomorrow when he's gone to sleep.
Sorry it will be there for the next few hours!

marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shanta Gdeeda

How can i delete my account here?

Does it have to be deleted by you ?

Theres's nothing in the help files, saying how to delete your account.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

You can't delete it and neither can I!
You just have to stop posting (and make sure you log out so you can't 'accidentally' post without consciously signing in).

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:
You can't delete it and neither can I!
You just have to stop posting (and make sure you log out so you can't 'accidentally' post without consciously signing in).

my first account here was deleted, with the upgrade to ubb 6.7 so it can be done.

But it wasn't done by sammi, or any other mod; you know who to unleash on this one.

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought about making a separate thread for this post but decided this was probably an appropriate place to put it.

I realize I'm most likely a little late to this story but I thought it was very relevant to what goes on here on ES. The bullying.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2011/03/23/134736937/jimmy-wong-saves-the-internet?sc=nl&cc=es-20110327

quote:

And while it used to require a certain set of characteristics to thrive as a bully, the internet makes it simple for almost anyone to graduate from cowering weakling to kicking virtual sand in the face of friends and strangers in no time. If you've spent more than five minutes reading Internet comments, you know that being a cyberbully requires about the same level of exertion and fortitude as screaming obscenities at other drivers while you cruise down the freeway with your windows rolled up.

And the bullies have figured this out. Cyberbullying has become so prevalent that several states are considering the enactment of laws targeting its perpetrators. The federal government even has a site dedicated to the troubling trend.

More to the article, no sense to post the whole thing here, just click on the link above.

[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Definitely more to the article. Comedy gold.

Damn that was some retort he made.

I don't know that I would call her a bully. If I went to China and shouted what she said on the street (which she is in effect doing seeing as though youtube is global), would you call me a bully, or say I just had some kind of mental health issue or was terminally stupid?

And if you say she's a bully, then would you say that the reply posts on youtube, e.g. "your boobs look like they were made in China" were also bullying? I don't know. There is a lot of room to say stupid things online and if you're going to say stupid things you're open to being called stupid. Definitely agree with the road rage comparison though.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
More to the article, no sense to post the whole thing here, just click on the link above.

[Smile]

Curtis Lam (Kougyou) wrote:

As one of the many video responses said, "Don't you know what UCLA stands for? U C a Lot of Asians!"

Curtis is right. They aren't Japanese, they are mainly Chinese.

UCLA like the UofMN does tons of research hoping to produce products that can be manufactured in China.

So there is an exchange agreement.

What blows me away is just as many Chinese as Valley girl types ignore the posted rule of no cell phone use in the library.

What does work in these loud cell phone convos is equally rude people will find they suit each other:

http://ca.gawker.com/5785678/americans-of-all-races-are-finally-sexing-each-other-up

Just in the last few years I have seen 90% of the Chinese or Asian male couplings with white women on the UofMN campus.

And Asians are just as likely to be racist as whites, both have priviledge.

I'd wager Alexandra Wallace hooksup and marries an Asian to create thee most intolerant people known to man.

What I find odd is NPR chose a very mellow and not particularly great example of cyber-bullying.

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
quote:

Yes, but as one guy posted in a follow up youtube video, they do at least have the "American manners" to make their derogatory comments in Mandarin [Smile]

I think my favourite quote was "Even if you're not Asian, you really shouldn't be on your cell phone in the library". People do annoy me when they're noisy in the library, that's true, but I can't say it annoys me any more if that person is Asian [Confused]

It is a scary world where someone so dim can get into uni, I think.

metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Monkey:
quote:

Yes, but as one guy posted in a follow up youtube video, they do at least have the "American manners" to make their derogatory comments in Mandarin [Smile]

I think my favourite quote was "Even if you're not Asian, you really shouldn't be on your cell phone in the library". People do annoy me when they're noisy in the library, that's true, but I can't say it annoys me any more if that person is Asian [Confused]

It is a scary world where someone so dim can get into uni, I think.

One of the blessings of going to any college or university in the Twin Cities is the large percentage of students in which English is a second language.

I can tone out background noise including conversation if I don't know the language.

I don't assume Alexandra Wallace is as stupid as she'd like to appear to be. Women often behave stupid in order to please other people, and to appear more attractive.

Just wait until Alexandra Wallace has a four year old child in her home, four year olds never tire informing their parents of their opinion in regards to "intelligence".

Most women I know who have children over the age of four years don't speak valley girl.

Glassflower
Member # 17950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glassflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha....Jimmy Wong ....brilliant retort...very catchy...ching chong metinoot....
Posts: 314 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
A little too catchy... It's still going round in my head [Frown]
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Sad but not unexpected news from home.

Will not be modding ES for a few days. Press notify and I will deal when I'm back.

Can't say too much because the most important person doesn't know yet.

If you're on my FB, I have blocked wall posts and comments temporarily to avoid people finding out that way by accident.

Enjoy converting your mkv to mp3 while I'm gone.

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Sorry SG.

Naturally ES is the bottom of anyones priority list in reality.

Take care of yourself. x

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Oh Shanta, sorry for the sad news.. [Frown]

Take care.. [Wink]

Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take care,Shanta.
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Thanks folks.
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Sorry.I know how it can feel.I learned by phone of something similar few years ago and im still in the process of trying to recover emotionally.

[Frown]

Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Sorry to hear that, Shanta x
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that SG, take care please !!
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

I'm sorry I am unable to do anything about the spammer WestXMan in the Music forum who appears to have posted about 400 threads in there in the past 24 hours.

It is out of my hands as my modding powers do not extend over there.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com