EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Can someone translate this Arabic to English for me please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can someone translate this Arabic to English for me please
JessRobinson
Member # 18612

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JessRobinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
كام جمل ؟
Posts: 31 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many camels ?
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT#ar|en|

copy and paste it in there, if what I read is correct, it's NOT nice.

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JessRobinson
Member # 18612

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JessRobinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh gosh, Hope it's not what google says!
Posts: 31 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google is wrong.. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JessRobinson
Member # 18612

Rate Member
Yeah i've been told it says how many camels but wasnt to sure so thought i'd make sure.. Thanks for your help!
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!]
Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go on cam and lets see your cus..WTF

I dont think i'll be asking anyone to translate this for me at the moment [Eek!]

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you type in How many camels? and translate English to Arabic, it looks entirely different than what you posted Jess. Hmmmm
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Member # 879

quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Google is wrong.. [Roll Eyes]

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
JessRobinson
Member # 18612

Rate Member
Long story short someone wrote it on a piece of paper (when i was on holiday in Sharm) and out of curiosity i asked a friend back home and i didnt believe him that it said how many camels!
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agree with Dzosser, how many camels. Naughty Google!

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
If you type in How many camels? and translate English to Arabic, it looks entirely different than what you posted Jess. Hmmmm

I've tried this one and it gave
كم عدد الجمال
which means "what is the number of camels?"

Now here's the intersting thing, if you take this very same Arabic sentence that google gave you, and feed it back into translation from Arabic to English, it gives you "How many beauty"!!!

So google contradicts it's own self.
I hereby declare google to be wrong. It's all Wael's fault, part of the conspiracy against Egypt! [Big Grin]

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No conspiracy, Jess is being offered marriage and the mahr is how many camels she requests [Big Grin]

Either that or she is being sold into slavery for some camels, depending on how many she's worth [Big Grin]

Ask for 1000 Jess, 1000 is the magic number, and a few chickens too. [Wink]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amoun over the moon
Member # 18587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amoun over the moon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

Either that or she is being sold into slavery for some camels, depending on how many she's worth [Big Grin]

It actually occured to me that he might've asked
كام يا جميل

which effectively means "how much, love?"
The meaning is obvious of course [Embarrassed]

Posts: 56 | From: Da moon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JessRobinson:
كام جمل ؟

when i trandlated it with google it said cam pu@@y
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynameisthis
Member # 17234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mynameisthis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I you wrote it properly as كم جمل google translates it to "How many sentences". It all depends on the context I guess.
Posts: 1044 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, I was asked "How many camels?" in 1994 while going camel riding at the pyramids with a friend from Munich. She had long blong hair, blue eyes... well anyway I told that boy that I am not her mother, he needs to go and ask her parents. Fun times!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptians play up to the whole camel buying thing as a joke (tunisians too, and im sure other middle eastern countries). They will shout it out as you walk through a Market loads. My parents were asked jokingly all the time how many camels they would sell me for (my patents said three racing camels and 20 chickens, Sam still hasn't paid up!). They know Many westerners have that stereotypical view of the middle east, and so just give the tourist what they want.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this just brings to mind the 'etneen geneeh' offer from a Cairene guy while walking by one time. My friend was furious. What did he think? We are THAT cheap???? [Razz]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JessRobinson
Member # 18612

Rate Member
So it does say How many camels then! Thanks everyone for the help.

Ayisha - very funny! [Razz]

marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ayisha:
agree with Dzosser, how many camels. Naughty Google! [/QUOTE

Indeed Ayisha.

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
Egyptians play up to the whole camel buying thing as a joke (tunisians too, and im sure other middle eastern countries). They will shout it out as you walk through a Market loads. My parents were asked jokingly all the time how many camels they would sell me for (my patents said three racing camels and 20 chickens, Sam still hasn't paid up!). They know Many westerners have that stereotypical view of the middle east, and so just give the tourist what they want.

In Morocco they do exactly the same camel joke stuff.
Sorry TL,but in Morocco they offered 200 camels for me.That was some years ago,though [Big Grin]

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metinoot
Member # 17031

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for metinoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its sounds like a joke the tourist touts play on tourists who have stars in their eyes.

This subject comes up once or twice a year in the last 4 years of ES.

Between 2002 and 2005 it came up twice a month, so obviously the tourist touts have been laying off the wisecracks for a while.

Possibly showing more restraint and respect.

Posts: 2280 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com