EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » I did not know...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I did not know...
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm at a lost for words...maybe I was ignorant! this will sound really stupid but...I didn't know Egypt had orphanages
..I checked one of the threads on the forum and found an orphanage in Luxor. I couldn't believe it. I was always under the impression that Egyptians are family orientated and loves their children...where do all these orphans come from? I know that in all countries there are orphans but my impression was that in the Middle east orphan literally means without parents not without a home....or throw away child. At the moment I'm sitting with a lump in my throat...that doesn't want to disappear. Does anyone know of other orphanages in Egypt?

[This message has been edited by Natashiah (edited 02 September 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Natashiah (edited 02 September 2004).]

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I gather there are a lot of orphanages here in Egypt, many of them very poorly funded, not well run, and some of them are sadly run by people who don’t have the children’s best interests at heart. Those that I have visited seem to act mainly as a holding place for the children as they are growing up, with the children often being cared for by live-in staff who are girls who have come from the villages to Cairo who have no training and are paid very meager salaries. A lot of the children who live there were apparently admitted as babies who were abandoned by their unmarried mothers who were not able to keep them.

One of the saddest things is that the children are likely to stay in the orphanages for life, or at least until they reach ‘adulthood’, when they will be asked to leave, as Islamically adoption is not allowed and many people who have taken children into their homes as guardians have abused them and used them as unpaid housemaids, so the procedure to be able to take a child out is so difficult that most people don’t bother.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course there are orphanages! Parents die as in any other country. Also babies are abandoned, as newcomer said, at the doors of mosques, churches, government health centres etc. There are government orphanages, and ones run by charities, secular, Muslim or Christian. As adoption isn't allowed, life is very hard for orphans especially in the government orphanages where abuse is rife.

Funny assumption, Natashiah, that there wouldn't be orphanages because Egyptians love their children. Do other nationalities not?

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Natashiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by citizen:

Funny assumption, Natashiah, that there wouldn't be orphanages because Egyptians love their children. Do other nationalities not?

....did you read my first post?...did I say other nationalities do not love their children?....I'm talking about Egypt and their so called family structure and what they project to the rest of the outside world.Don't turn this around rather focus on the main question I asked...are there any other orphanges...do you perhaps have names and address or contact numbers?

Posts: 723 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asiaq
Member # 4323

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for asiaq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Natashiah:
[B]I'm at a lost for words...maybe I was ignorant! this will sound really stupid but...I didn't know Egypt had orphanages
..I checked one of the threads on the forum and found an orphanage in Luxor. I couldn't believe it. I was always under the impression that Egyptians are family orientated and loves their children...where do all these orphans come from? I know that in all countries there are orphans but my impression was that in the Middle east orphan literally means without parents not without a home....or throw away child. At the moment I'm sitting with a lump in my throat...that doesn't want to disappear. Does anyone know of other orphanages in Egypt?

That's the dark side of a hieg moral !!
When woman only can have children when they are married!! where are the moral in that children paiding the price ?

But some country't paid welfare to egypt and this is for that kind of children ,i know my country do

Posts: 363 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assalamu alaykum Natashiah!

Someone sent me these addresses a while ago that may be of interest, but I'm not sure if they are all orphanages. Although they are all Cairo addresses, you may be able to get information from them for other parts of the country. I don't have the addresses of the orphanages I visited as I was taken there by friends at Eid.

The list of organization was listed under "volunteering" in the Cairo Practical Guide 2003 edition:

Awladi Orphanage
29 Road 206
Digla, Maadi
359-0128

HOPE and IQRA'A (Help Orphans Pursue Education and Read)
Contact: Heba 337-7930, Tamir 383-4269 and at Jameel Center, AUC 797-5039

Hope Village Society
14 Ahmad al-Khashab
Nasr City
272-4563

SOS Children's Village, end of 'Abbas al-'Aqqad (next to MB Petroleum Co.)
Nasr City
274-3339/2286

UNICEF
8 & 11 'Adnan 'Umar Sidqi (off Musaddaq just past Club Med office)
Dokki
761-6346

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sunshine Orphanage in Luxor is near the hospital in Television Street and has 48 babies and children there at the moment.

All the help they get is gratefully received.

People seem to be under the impression that no Egyptian girls have sex before marriage - they do and they have the offspring to prove it. As they are not allowed to keep these children they abandon them.

In the hotel where a friend of mine lives, an Egyptian girl came down from Cairo and had a baby alone in the next room. She left it there and disappeared back to Cairo.

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS: Adoption may not be allowed under Islamic law but it is allowed in Egypt (or at least fostering is). There has been a series of good television adverts showing the benefits of childless people adopting a child.
Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LiveItUp
Member # 4811

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiveItUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is really lovely, I am now weeping!
How can I help in Alexandria? Does anyone know?

Posts: 395 | From: Whereever I go | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

I found this information which you may find interesting as part of an article about orphans from Al-Ahram at: http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2004/685/feature.htm

"The debate on the issue of orphaned children, however, is nothing new in Egyptian society. On the one hand, such an act of care and fostering is seen as one of goodwill. But religion dictates that adoption of orphans of unknown parents is a sin, as a person should not pass on his name and inheritance to non-family members. For this reason, adoption laws remain unwritten and the country is still unable to overcome the religious barrier prohibiting the act.

Chapter 12 of the unified child's law of 1996, however, does codify a procedure for fostering. It covers all aspects of child welfare and in Article 87 specifies 12 conditions that any potential foster family must fulfil. If a couple fulfils the criteria, then the next step is to apply for fostering rights at the local branch of the Ministry of Social Affairs.

All those who have passed the rigorous documentation screening -- there are currently 4,394 foster families in Egypt..."

However if you add the information in this article to the above, you will see that the problem of uncared for children is much bigger than that of the orphans. This article is about Egypt's streetchildren and can be found at: http://www.streetchildren.org.uk/reports/Egypt%20Child.doc

"...The official legal definition has until recently been ‘juvenile delinquents’, but street children are now labelled ‘vulnerable to delinquency’ according to Egypt’s Child Law (law 12 of 1996), which includes all persons under 18 who beg, sell or perform on the streets for money, collect rubbish, engage in ‘immoral conduct’, lack a stable place of residence, associate with suspected persons, and who lack a legal source of
income or support.

Because of these multiple definitions, there are no official or reliable statistics on the magnitude of the problem of street children in Egypt. The high mobility of street children also complicates the validity of any survey. The closest indicator is therefore the number of children arrested – of the 42,505 children arrested in 2001, 10,958 of them were charged with being ‘vulnerable to delinquency’.

With regard to the age of children on the streets, random NGO samples suggest that 13 years is the average. A quarter of the street child population is believed to be less than 12 years old, with two-thirds between 13 and 16 years old and only 10% over 17..."

[This message has been edited by newcomer (edited 03 September 2004).]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The children are mainly Sa3eadi and many of their parents were killed in tar blood killings. Most of the orphans tend to be rural Fellahin people--both Coptic and Muslim,and this is probabaly why most are run by rural [Balady] women. My opinion is that Balady women do one fine job taking care of the orphaned children.

Most people in this forum are mostly khawagas or Cairene Egyptians who never experiance what life is like in Al Saeed[Upper Egypt] The two areas are like night and day. To get an impression of Upper Egypt then go to the back alley neighboorhoods like Imbaba and Boulaq to see just what I mean.

Egyptians live in two universes and Westeners live in their Orientalist fantasies.

Natashiah, have you ever been outside of Cairo or the tourist locations? You ever been to rural parts of Egypt?

People might not know that there are nieghboorhoods in Cairo where people sell drugs. Yes, there are houses across Cairo in poor neighboorhoods where people shoot up Herion in their veins. Young children sell drugs just to get food. All the things you would suspect from an inner city in America but without the violence. Areas like Boulaq even at one time had gangs. Can you imagine drug busts in a squeeky clean Islamic country like Egypt! Yes,that's life,and Egypt is one in it's own.

See the following story also:

Youth forced into drug dealing to survive
Yomna Kamel Middle East Times staff

An eight-year old girl was arrested by narcotics police and put into a rehabilitation center away from her family and friends, totally unaware she had made a mistake. As far as she was concerned, she was dutifully obeying her father who asked her to deliver some packages.

The girl, arrested a few years ago, was the youngest person to be caught in the drug trade at the time. According to a social researcher at a center for juvenile delinquents, the girl was nabbed by police in Boulaq Al Daqrour, a low income area of the Giza governorate, while delivering drugs to an addict.

"She had no concept of what she was doing, she felt she might be doing something wrong but had to obey her father," said the social researcher who wished to remain anonymous.

This girl is one of the hundreds of young people arrested each year in and around Cairo for distributing drugs often at the prompting of parents, or peers and are considered by experts victims of social and economic circumstances.

Samah, on her way to serving a three-year jail sentence, is another example of children pushed by adults to distribute drugs. Police caught her delivering heroin to a coffee shop owner in Boulaq Abou Al Ela, a poor district in Cairo.

"My step father was a bad man. He used to beat me and my mother, forcing us to work with him in drug dealing. My mother is now in jail for drug dealing," said Samah.

The social researcher said that adults exploit minors in order to escape the harsh sentences they could get if caught doing the same activity.

"Adults involved in drug dealing want to escape sentences that might reach 25 years of hard labor by using minors. Egyptian law does not penalize minors under 15 years-of-age, and does not expose minors above this age to such heavy sentences," said the social researcher.

In addition to parents who exploit their children, economic circumstances also drive youth to enter the drug business.

MONEY THE MOTIVE
"Minors involved in drug dealing usually belong to poor and illiterate families, which makes money a motive to work in drug distributing. Drug dealers use those poor kids in their business to escape punishment," said Aziza Kamel, director of the Egyptian Society For the Protection of Women and Children.

According to Kamel, the majority of drug busts occur in areas like Boulaq Al Daqrour, Al Sayida Aisha, Bab Al Shaariya and Al Batniya all low income areas.

The case of Rehab, a 16-year-old girl sentenced to two years, is a perfect example of a victim of economic and social circumstances. Police seized six kilograms of hashish and a small amount of heroin that Rehab was carrying on her person when she was delivering them to a Sayida Zeinab drug dealer.

Rehab is from a poor family in Fayoum governorate. Her father, a part-time laborer, divorced her mother and married another woman who mistreated her.

NICE OLD LADY
"I ran away from home in Fayoum after I knew my stepmother wanted me to marry one of her relatives. I came to Cairo where I met an a nice old woman who agreed to let me live in her house," said Rehab.

"After a few months she asked that I work for her in return. I used to deliver drugs to other drug dealers in Cairo," said Rehab.

Young distributors can also help expand a drug dealer's customer base says Kamel.

"Using young drug distributors enables drug dealers to reach other young people who are more susceptible to becoming addicted due to their youth," said Kamel. "In many cases they are caught dealing near schools and universities."

In some cases, the minor distributor himself becomes addicted and begins to do business himself in order to pay for his habit, said a criminologist with a police department who wished to remain anonymous.

This is exactly what happened with Tareq, a 17 year old student from Port Said. Tareq said his parents were pinning their hopes on him to become a doctor or an engineer, but he disappointed them.

"I dropped out of school and joined a gang and tried many kinds of drugs. After a while I became addicted and one of my friends convinced me to work with his father, a local drug dealer," he said. "In return for working for him, I would get all drugs I needed," he said.

Tareq, slated to spend the next three years in juvenile detention, was caught injecting a university student with drugs. Medical tests showed that Tareq himself was under the influence of drugs when arrested by police.

UP TO THE EGYPT INDEX

http://www.metimes.com/issue99-44/eg/youth_forced_into.htm

[This message has been edited by ausar (edited 03 September 2004).]

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Well done Ausar. Please tell Nat about racism in Upper Egypt too. Ausar is an expert and I respect his views and opinions more than any others.

People have such a romanticised view of life in Egypt. I write about rural Luxor as an outsider and I still know more than most foreigners but it will take me lifetime to even scratch the surface of this country. I describe the countryside away from the tourist areas but when I talk of general life here others on the forum think I am crazy or simply deluded.

It is so different from Cairo and Alex that it might as well be another country. Compared with Europe it might as well be another planet.

Ausar, when are you next in Aswan?

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ausar:
[B] The children are mainly Sa3eadi and many of their parents were killed in tar blood killings. Most of the orphans tend to be rural Fellahin people--both Coptic and Muslim,and this is probabaly why most are run by rural [Balady] women. My opinion is that Balady women do one fine job taking care of the orphaned children.

Most people in this forum are mostly khawagas or Cairene Egyptians who never experiance what life is like in Al Saeed[Upper Egypt] The two areas are like night and day. To get an impression of Upper Egypt then go to the back alley neighboorhoods like Imbaba and Boulaq to see just what I mean.

Egyptians live in two universes and Westeners live in their Orientalist fantasies.

Natashiah, have you ever been outside of Cairo or the tourist locations? You ever been to rural parts of Egypt?

People might not know that there are nieghboorhoods in Cairo where people sell drugs. Yes, there are houses across Cairo in poor neighboorhoods where people shoot up Herion in their veins. Young children sell drugs just to get food. All the things you would suspect from an inner city in America but without the violence. Areas like Boulaq even at one time had gangs. Can you imagine drug busts in a squeeky clean Islamic country like Egypt! Yes,that's life,and Egypt is one in it's own.

My brother....I have been to Shubra,Imbaba,Sayed Zainab..etc. etc....I have seen many many things...but because I am a hipocrate I dont like talking about what i have seen...since it "was" bad for bussiness.Its not only the backyards that is bad...Mohandiseen is one of the biggest brothels for the Gulf people.I can go on and on and on...but like I said I am a hipocrate!

Anyway I want to talk about the orphans etc...what can be done to help.It makes no difference if you're able to give money or lend a helping hand to feed a child or bath him.Im trying to get people talking...do get it?....thats where it starts...ask questions and just maybe someone who can make a difference sees it!Ayway...I love Egypt with all its good,bad and uglies!...Maybe I can make a difference.....maybe Im a gazillionaire who can afford to build hostels for orphans who've reached maturity but are unable to stay at the orphanages anymore because they're too old!...maybe I'm a poper with no money...but I can get people to talk!...maybe Im just anordinary woman who does her bit for charity...You never know!

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
LL...I know about the racism in Egypt, Upper Egypt etc.I know a lot about Egypt...I just wanted to see how many people are really aware of it.Sometimes if one plays stupid...you tend to find out little things that you did not know....but if you act like a know it all....well then you know it all..what else is there more to learn.I know a lot like I said....but i also know there is still a lot more to learn!

Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
nat: You are an interesting lady and I'm loking forward to meeting you.
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to donate for an Egyptian orphan, you can contact this person. She is involved in Volunteer work for a non profit organizaton, related to the orphans of Egypt.

She is a credible and well educated young lady/MBA/ that may be able to give you more information in regards to your question.

iman7@mailcity.com

quote:
Originally posted by Natashiah:
LL...I know about the racism in Egypt, Upper Egypt etc.I know a lot about Egypt...I just wanted to see how many people are really aware of it.Sometimes if one plays stupid...you tend to find out little things that you did not know....but if you act like a know it all....well then you know it all..what else is there more to learn.I know a lot like I said....but i also know there is still a lot more to learn!

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 06 September 2004).]

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
People have such a romanticised view of life in Egypt. I write about rural Luxor as an outsider and I still know more than most foreigners but it will take me lifetime to even scratch the surface of this country. I describe the countryside away from the tourist areas but when I talk of general life here others on the forum think I am crazy or simply deluded.

It is so different from Cairo and Alex that it might as well be another country. Compared with Europe it might as well be another planet.

Not everyone thinks that LL, I know the life you describe, or maybe I too am crazy and deluded lol

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nooss
Member # 5336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for nooss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About orphanages,

well i know of a lot of people who would like to find out the locations and info about orphanages in Cairo but have been having a hard time. They are not listed any where appropriately obvious, and the well known ones are located in areas at the outskirts, that really put people off doing what they want to do.
I suggest that if anyone works for a magazine or news paper to see if they could list a few of these orphanages or even the list of info posted on this page just to make it easier for people.

By the way, i have read numerous postings on this site, but never engaged or registered before, this page made me want to join in your discussions, seeing as there are some intelligent people on this forum, and the best kind, those who wish to contribute something.
thanks

Posts: 1 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Hi nooss!

Just had a quick browse round some old threads and came up with these links that might be useful regarding voluntary work in general: http://www.fat7et-kheir.org/index.html www.skill-link.com/Docs/IZ/success-fthtkhr.htm www.caritas.org www.savethechildren.net http://resala.access.com.eg/resala/new/ http://www.plan-international.org/wherewework/eastafricaeurope/egypt/ http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum5/HTML/000206.html
Also this comment from someone:
“I know that members of the Maadi Community Church work for an orphanage”
Hope you can find something useful here.

Natashiah
Member # 4566

Rate Member
Now for a very silly question....I have no idea if this type of thing will work in Egypt in general or even in certain communities!

In my community we do a ;ot of things to raise money for charity...orphans,Aids Centres,homes for abused women etc.We have hosted a lot of "high teas" and it raised a reasonable amount of money.We "beg" companies to sponsor venues,products,money etc.Some of the locals bakes and helps to set up the venues...blah blah blah...the thing is it takes a lot of preperation and professional "begging"...but we get the job done!...Tickets are sold in aid of the benefit and all the proceeds goes towards charities.What i want to know is will this type of thing work in Egypt in general.Here we have a moto...dont just throw money at the problem...do something about it!Its no use for someone coming around and do a charity benifit or two once or twice a year...this should be a community orientated event...something that is continues.Thats wgy its so important for the community to get involved.But we're talking about Egypt...what are the chances of the locals getting involved.

People Im not saying Egyptians dont do their bit...Im only asking a question and wondering if something similar would work there...it does not have to be exactly the same thing...it can be something that will "fly" in Egypt!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com