EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » My Arabic Learning Experience

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Arabic Learning Experience
r_wood
Member # 7119

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for r_wood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After two unforgettable & wonderful years in Cairo I am back in the States.
I love Egypt so I tried to learn Egyptian Arabic and I hope I will keep what I have already learned, Cos I wanna to be back again as soon as possible. My former Arabic tutor Mr. Ahmed is available for private Arabic lessons at your home in Maadi, Heliopolis, Mohandaseen or anywhere in Cairo. I studied with him for a little over a year and wholeheartedly recommend him as a private tutor. He has more five years of experience teaching both colloquial and classical Arabic. He will tailor the lessons to your needs, focusing on the words and phrases you need to know to get around via taxi, shop, restaurant, communicate with your doorman and more. Mr. Ahmed speaks fluent English and is also available to come to your home, wait for and help you deal with the plumber, electrician and other service people. His help was invaluable to me on a number of occasions. Also, He can accompany you to Khan El Khalili, the fabric market, or any other shopping destination in Cairo and help you negotiate over prices.

[This message has been edited by r_wood (edited 19 May 2005).]

Posts: 45 | From: Miami, FL / Cairo, EG | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not by any chance Mr Ahmed himself?

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
r_wood
Member # 7119

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for r_wood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia:
You're not by any chance Mr Ahmed himself?

Hi Dalia
Please dont try to be smart.
Mr Ahmed is my friend and we have great memories in Egypt, I think I mentioned some of them before in previous posts.
Also he has his own teaching methodolgy that makes me get progress in a short time

Robin

Posts: 45 | From: Miami, FL / Cairo, EG | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin,

You should have got used to these cynical people by now, who believe that no body would post on this board unless he/she has ulterior motive.
But I do believe that Dalia is not one of them, and it was meant as a joke. So, cheer up.We are happy you liked our Egypt.Come again soon Robin.

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm not cynical, but it wasn't meant as a joke either.

I just noticed that the same message was posted a few times after Mr. Ahmed posted his ad and Mr. Wood doesn't exactly sound like a native English speaker, so I thought that was a bit strange ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EFLVirgo
Member # 6264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EFLVirgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He sounds perfectly native to me. Just a couple of typos maybe, but nothing non-native.
Posts: 372 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann
Member # 106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EFLVirgo:
He sounds perfectly native to me. Just a couple of typos maybe, but nothing non-native.

Would have to disagree, this is not the level of English mother tongue.

Posts: 316 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats wrong with you, people? He posted earlier here on ES, an American who lived and worked in Egypt. He wants to give some business to his friend Mr. Ahmed, whats wrong with that?

Mr. Wood, if you kindly post a copy of your passport here online, people doubt your citizenship.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Would have to disagree, this is not the level of English mother tongue.

Bezabt kidda!

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Wow, Dalia, you are as a native German tell an American that he doesn't speak proper English. Well maybe he's speaking it better than writing it?

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
I'm not telling him he doesn't write proper English, his English is very good but it's not as perfect as that of a native speaker,
what's the problem with that? It's usually easy to tell from people's writing style whether they are native speakers or not, you don't have to be one yourself in order to do that.

r_wood
Member # 7119

Rate Member
Hola a propósito Dalia, mi lengua materna es español y tengo una momia española también
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by r_wood:
Hola a propósito Dalia, mi lengua materna es español y tengo una momia española también

LOL ... what's your profession?

r_wood
Member # 7119

Rate Member

LOL ... what's your profession?

ingeniero del petrolum . usted ?

Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by r_wood:

ingeniero del petrolum . usted ?

You mean ingeniero petroquimico?

Yo soy diseñadora grafica.

[This message has been edited by Dalia (edited 11 May 2005).]

akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Dalia, the English is not a native American, for a start it is too good. No American writes that well

It is marketing spiel not a personal recommendation. Doesn't mean the guy isn't good and useful though

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
It is marketing spiel not a personal recommendation.

Yes, that's how it sounds.

My Arabic teacher used to advertise on some Egypt related boards as well and if I saw his ad I usually commented and let people know that I thought he was a great teacher. However, I wouldn't have gone into lengths listing all of his services and credits ... I think that's what I found a bit odd ...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com