EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Egyptian best friends? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Egyptian best friends?
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I have a question:

I have been involved with an Egyptian for 5 months. He has many friends, who are all male (at least I think so [Wink] ) and it seems that they are all very close. So close that they touch more than what I would consider normal between two men. Also it seems that he (the Egyptian male) is uncapable of being alone.
This relationship betwwen men in Egypt seems to be much closer than in Europe.
What are your thoughts on this?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think....logical.... that Egyptian men are much closer each other than in Europe because first ...they are educated to be separate by women and conclusion is that they cannot have girl friend...then haven't other choice ...and ...second form European men do not touch each other (except shaking a hand...and very rarely hugs) because they are afraid that people don't consider them gay.
Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this fear of being considered gay is not present amongst Egyptian men?
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No...different culture...what can I say?! [Smile]
Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Just someone who is Egyptian can explain you, better then me, why Egyptian men are closer each other.
anthropos
Member # 9410

This brings me to another question:

You talk of a strict separation between the sexes in Egypt and that western ideas of homosexuality are not so visible, maybe not even existent.

So is it possible that people of the same sex develop amongst themselves such intimacy in Egypt that we (Westerners) would consider it homosexuality/lesbianism?

karla
Member # 5472

I should say "Yes"...but depend..
karla
Member # 5472

My opinion is that you have to take the customs like they are.
karla
Member # 5472

It means you cannot judge an Egyptian with an European mind and vice versa!
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:
This brings me to another question:

You talk of a strict separation between the sexes in Egypt and that western ideas of homosexuality are not so visible, maybe not even existent.

So is it possible that people of the same sex develop amongst themselves such intimacy in Egypt that we (Westerners) would consider it homosexuality/lesbianism?

you know a couple of years ago, there was a huge gay scandal, and some were arrested. in an interview one of them said, that whenever he sees two egyptian men holding hands (which is common in egypt) they immediatly know that they are not gay!
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaza
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when i was in hollywood L.A. with 6 of my male friends the bouncers at the clubs and pubs used to think we are gays because we didnt have any girls with us on entrance lol
Once i met that black guy in the motel we were staying in at hollywood blvd (walk of fame), he was like " are you gays !" i was shocked i replied hell no man we straight like an arrow and he was like "but dont have any females with you , you are seven guys" and that was before i found out that he was nothing but a P.I.M.P offering some chicks but not for free this time [Smile] and when i used to joke with one of my friends while shopping or in public he was like "stop it people will think we are gays [Smile] "
i dont give a damn about what people say or think,
Just be your self no matter what they say [Smile]

--------------------
HandsUpHandsDown is that american woman who used to be known as "ana huna" in ES! Strange but true.

Posts: 1123 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian and Arab men in general are not afraid to show affection to one another. They hug and kiss on the cheek as a greeting as do the women kiss and hug other women. I think it's really quite endearing and sweet.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Real life
Member # 7982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Real life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well after the prolonged episode with Cheffie and his best friend and the phonecalls I discovered that egyptian men certainly seem to dscuss serious love stuff in a way which in Britain you would really only expect women friends to do. (But then that is a generalisation from two people - maybe they weren't typical?)
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by karla:
I think....logical.... that Egyptian men are much closer each other than in Europe because first ...they are educated to be separate by women and conclusion is that they cannot have girl friend...then haven't other choice ...

You can't be serious ... Did you really live in Egypt?
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After serving dinner a few times to my husband and a few friends I made some rules.

No kissing even on the cheeks, no one sits within 3 feet of my husband and no hand-holding.

Somehow my husband wasn't the least bit insulted.

I see lots of hand-holding in Egypt by both sexes, that bothers me, but the cheek kissing no as long as my husband isn't doing it.

I don't think I can get over the sight of male affection, but I keep my mouth shut and try not to look.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
After serving dinner a few times to my husband and a few friends I made some rules.

No kissing even on the cheeks, no one sits within 3 feet of my husband and no hand-holding.

I see lots of hand-holding in Egypt by both sexes, that bothers me, but the cheek kissing no as long as my husband isn't doing it.

I don't think I can get over the sight of male affection, but I keep my mouth shut and try not to look.

I am not a fan of hand-shaking, let alone kissing. But it's a cultural thing ... so, it's one of those things that u take as is.

I used to work with a bunch of Austrians ... Had some work in Menoufia (your town sonomod). The second time these people came around, the officials from Menoufia kissed them when they were saying hello. It was fun watching the Austrians freak out. The third time we visited, the Austrians actually made the first move to kiss the officials.

Very amusing, indeed ....

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by _Masrawi_:
quote:

I am not a fan of hand-shaking, let alone kissing. But it's a cultural thing ... so, it's one of those things that u take as is.

I used to work with a bunch of Austrians ... Had some work in Menoufia (your town sonomod). The second time these people came around, the officials from Menoufia kissed them when they were saying hello. It was fun watching the Austrians freak out. The third time we visited, the Austrians actually made the first move to kiss the officials.

Very amusing, indeed ....

What could make it worse is the condition of their oral hygeine which makes the cheek kissing a hellish experience.

Worse yet is missing which cheek to kiss first and accidentally kissing the wife of the Sheik on the mouth. Now that woman thinks I am a lesbo. At least she doesn't gossip.

But the next visit my SIL did remind me which cheek to go for first. Man little reminds like that can help a person out so much!

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
What could make it worse is the condition of their oral hygeine which makes the cheek kissing a hellish experience.

"Oral hygeine":

What is it with you tonight and the graphic descriptions?

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

"Oral hygeine":

Emergency oral surgery. Makes a woman remember the good times.
[Big Grin]

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:
quote:

"Oral hygeine":

[Big Grin]

Right ... i'll be right back.

Gotta go barf real quick.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

"Oral hygeine":

[Big Grin]

Right ... i'll be right back.

Gotta go barf real quick.

Well with parenthood, the first year you will be peed on at least twice a week (worse with boys, never never ever, ever leave clean laundry at the head of your baby boy they can shoot piss that far), puked on at least twice a week to several times a day (which didn't happen with our daughter thank God but most kids) and diaper rash.

Oh my goodness I could write a novella about diaper rash, the one thing babies could do without, the most painful thing to watch and endure.

If you have a light stomach don't have kids.

then when they get to be walking age and pick things up from the yard or sidewalk.

Did I mention they pick everything up, want to know the ratio of those things they pick up that end up in their mouths? [Eek!]

Get a vascetomy dude. NOW!

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Well with parenthood, the first year you will be peed on at least twice a week (worse with boys, never never ever, ever leave clean laundry at the head of your baby boy they can shoot piss that far), puked on at least twice a week to several times a day (which didn't happen with our daughter thank God but most kids) and diaper rash.

Oh my goodness I could write a novella about diaper rash, the one thing babies could do without, the most painful thing to watch and endure.

then when they get to be walking age and pick things up from the yard or sidewalk.

Did I mention they pick everything up, want to know the ratio of those things they pick up that end up in their mouths? [Eek!]

Too late for that.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Too late for that.
You already have children and you still are easily grossed out?

Where have you been when this child(ren) are growing up?

KeepinItReal
Member # 7946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeepinItReal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is it with kids! My niece had this thing with sticking things in her nose. First a chicklet and then a lima bean. The lima bean we actually took her to the ER to remove it because it was expanding. [Eek!] That's the last poker night we had with beans. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1063 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Not easily grossed out ... was simpy trying to put an end to your plethora of graphic examples.
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by KeepinItReal:
What is it with kids! My niece had this thing with sticking things in her nose. First a chicklet and then a lima bean. The lima bean we actually took her to the ER to remove it because it was expanding. [Eek!] That's the last poker night we had with beans. [Big Grin]

Exactly what i was afraid of ... more and more examples. [Big Grin]

Hi KIR.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by KeepinItReal:

I had a teacher who came from an exceptionally large family and she was one of the younger ones.

She had chicken pox and loved to pick her nose. Well she got a pox sore up her nose so she started shoving a cleanex up there to scratch it. Well the cleanux never came out so 2 months later they started to see green and black sores around the bridge of her nose.

She had surgery to correct the rotten tissue and to make her nose look more attractive since the rot took away alot of tissue.

Which might've been a good thing, because she has an aquiline nose and most of her family has honkers.

Believe me you must watch what your children are doing at all times. And a once daily check of all bodily orfices is a very proactive thing.

Yeah, my mother's a nurse. Nothing grosses me out anymore.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Not easily grossed out ... was simpy trying to put an end to your plethora of graphic examples.

Good lord you are too late. Dont' read below. Please.
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

Good lord you are too late. Dont' read below. Please.
Too late again ... there goes my dinner.
EgyptianMau
Member # 9655

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianMau     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think....logical.... that Egyptian men are much closer each other than in Europe because first ...they are educated to be separate by women and conclusion is that they cannot have girl friend...then haven't other choice ...and ...second form European men do not touch each other (except shaking a hand...and very rarely hugs) because they are afraid that people don't consider them gay.

If Egyptian men are educated to be separate by/from women and conclusion is that they cannot have a girlfriend...how do they court and determine that they want to marry a woman? And do Egyptian men who have immigrated to America follow the same custom?
Posts: 68 | From: Easton Pa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by EgyptianMau:
quote:

If Egyptian men are educated to be separate by/from women and conclusion is that they cannot have a girlfriend...how do they court and determine that they want to marry a woman? And do Egyptian men who have immigrated to America follow the same custom?
Egyptians are no different from everybody else ... they date, have premarital sex, and do just about anything done in the West. The only difference being that it's just not as much in the open and they are less hesitant to jump in bed just as fast.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by EgyptianMau:
quote:

Egyptians are no different from everybody else ... they date, have premarital sex, and do just about anything done in the West. The only difference being that it's just not as much in the open and they are less hesitant to jump in bed just as fast.
Or admit to it.
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Or admit to it.

...but then again i don't recall any western chick listing the number of guys she's shagged either. it all boils down to what is socially acceptable and what isn't ...
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Or admit to it.

...but then again i don't recall any western chick listing the number of guys she's shagged either. it all boils down to what is socially acceptable and what isn't ...
You sit in a hen house in Shebin El-Kaum then sit at my grandmother's house and listen to how each group of women discuss the sex life of the other.

One group has an extremely beautiful, sensous, intelligent, Egyptian woman who can't stop flapping her gums about how things are in the west and how the western women are spoiling it for themselves and how Islam will solve all the west's problems.

My grandmother's house they just go utterly quiet and looking disguisted and perturbed while watching a "4Cats" music video that was part of my daughter's birthday video. It looked like they had all swallowed bird sh*t. They didn't have anything to say, except "do they dance like that in public or just on TV?" Then they didn't wait for answer and just shut the video off and changed the subject.

Four days later my sister-in-law is still flapping her gums about how slutty and immoral the west is.

There is a huge difference.

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
You sit in a hen house in Shebin El-Kaum then sit at my grandmother's house and listen to how each group of women discuss the sex life of the other.

One group has an extremely beautiful, sensous, intelligent, Egyptian woman who can't stop flapping her gums about how things are in the west and how the western women are spoiling it for themselves and how Islam will solve all the west's problems.

My grandmother's house they just go utterly quiet and looking disguisted and perturbed while watching a "4Cats" music video that was part of my daughter's birthday video. It looked like they had all swallowed bird sh*t. They didn't have anything to say, except "do they dance like that in public or just on TV?" Then they didn't wait for answer and just shut the video off and changed the subject.

Four days later my sister-in-law is still flapping her gums about how slutty and immoral the west is.

There is a huge difference.

I missed something here ... excuse me for being a little slow. just got up from a quick nap. so, are u confirming my point?
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
I missed something here ... excuse me for being a little slow. just got up from a quick nap. so, are u confirming my point?

Sort of. What I noticed is the fact that my family was extremely uncomfortable with Egyptian feminity in the same proportion that my sister-in-law was in reference to American feminitiy.

the big difference is how much one group went on about it more so than the other.

Personally I don't know if my sister-in-law's have ever "been around the block", they don't tell me. And neither does the women in my American blood family.

The in-law females do put up a massive superiority front about the issue though. And my blood family doesn't care either way.

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

Sort of. What I noticed is the fact that my family was extremely uncomfortable with Egyptian feminity in the same proportion that my sister-in-law was in reference to American feminitiy.

the big difference is how much one group went on about it more so than the other.

Personally I don't know if my sister-in-law's have ever "been around the block", they don't tell me. And neither does the women in my American blood family.

The in-law females do put up a massive superiority front about the issue though. And my blood family doesn't care either way.

which is once again a social thing ... Middle Easterners being the bigger gossipers.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
which is once again a social thing ... Middle Easterners being the bigger gossipers.

Its not just gossiping, though it takes 40 years in order for someone in the family to cough up "family secrets" that weren't that damming in the first place (we wait until the person dies).

What bothers me so much is the energry my Egyptian in-laws exert trying their darnest to convince me their ways are better. While my family doesn't have much to say on the matter. Live and let live philosophy.

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

Its not just gossiping, though it takes 40 years in order for someone in the family to cough up "family secrets" that weren't that damming in the first place (we wait until the person dies).

What bothers me so much is the energry my Egyptian in-laws exert trying their darnest to convince me their ways are better. While my family doesn't have much to say on the matter. Live and let live philosophy.

I don't agree with u ... they do talk about each other all the time. they don't wait until that person dies, as u were saying. I used to make sure to leave towards the end whenever we got together in a big group in order to catch up on everyone's gossip right after they leave. [Wink]

BUT, never will they ever do it in front of u sonomod. You are considered an outsider. And this is their dirty laundry. How would they dare criticize the West to u afterwards, then?!

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't agree with u ... they do talk about each other all the time. they don't wait until that person dies, as u were saying. I used to make sure to leave towards the end whenever we got together in a big group in order to catch up on everyone's gossip right after they leave. [Wink]

BUT, never will they ever do it in front of u sonomod. You are considered an outsider. And this is their dirty laundry. How would they dare criticize the West to u afterwards, then?!

Oh my goodness you don't understand.

My family (blood relatives in the USA) are the ones who won't say boo about anyone until they are dead.

Good Golly, my Egyptian-in-laws just mutter under their breath mean comments as we drive by in the car. [Big Grin]

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:

My family (blood relatives in the USA) are the ones who won't say boo about anyone until they are dead.

Good Golly, my Egyptian-in-laws just mutter under their breath mean comments as we drive by in the car. [Big Grin]

You can't seriously be blaming me for getting lost between the family, the in-laws, the sister-in-law, the grandmothers, and the "extremely beautiful, sensous, intelligent, Egyptian woman who can't stop flapping her gums" ...
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

You can't seriously be blaming me for getting lost between the family, the in-laws, the sister-in-law, the grandmothers, and the "extremely beautiful, sensous, intelligent, Egyptian woman who can't stop flapping her gums" ...
I understand that brain is swimming around in your gonads right now screaming for a break. [Wink]
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:
quote:

I understand that brain is swimming around in your gonads right now screaming for a break. [Wink]
gotta love a woman who can correctly read a man's thoughts ... [Wink]
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
I am learning slowly but surely.
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:

You'll be an expert in no time ... just in time for Shebin's next sexual revolution.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

You'll be an expert in no time ... just in time for Shebin's next sexual revolution.
Cold day in hell when that revolution happens.

Actually I think the women there have the men by the balls, unlike Alex.

My husband spent most of his childhood in Alex so they might explain why his attitude dramatically improves after a nice long phone call home to mommy.

His mother is the sweetest, smartest, most dedicated woman I know, but don't cross her she can really turn people against you fast.

She takes care of everyone, and everyone backs her up.

Alot of older women in Shebin seem to run things.

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:

Generally speaking, that's the case in Egypt ... a lot of people underestimate the Egyptian woman. How wrong are they ....
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Generally speaking, that's the case in Egypt ... a lot of people underestimate the Egyptian woman. How wrong are they ....
Yup, thats the way it is. Most of the sweet graces I recieved from the Egyptian people in general were bestoyed upon me by older women.

Very fricking protective. I am a stranger (though my FIL has a lofty position in the Education department) and out of nowhere these older women would come out to make sure I wasn't bothered, hassled, or stared at.

I saw at least 20 young men in one day slapped with a purse and told to stop leering.

I can't believe how wonderful they are. [Smile]

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yup, thats the way it is. Most of the sweet graces I recieved from the Egyptian people in general were bestoyed upon me by older women.

Very fricking protective. I am a stranger (though my FIL has a lofty position in the Education department) and out of nowhere these older women would come out to make sure I wasn't bothered, hassled, or stared at.

I saw at least 20 young men in one day slapped with a purse and told to stop leering.

I can't believe how wonderful they are. [Smile]

It isn't only the case with older women ... as soon as the wife officially replaces the mother (status-wise) in the Egyptian man's life (usually after giving birth ... preferably to a baby boy), the domination process starts.
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
It isn't only the case with older women ... as soon as the wife officially replaces the mother (status-wise) in the Egyptian man's life (usually after giving birth ... preferably to a baby boy), the domination process starts.

Yeah I read an article by Mervat Hatem on that.

I noticed how my in-laws were just bouncing off the walls that I was pregnant. They were shocked that my husband's worms were operational. [Big Grin]

Somehow my in-laws (mother and father in-law, not brothers) are completely gonzo over having all granddaughters.

MY father in law thinks its an evil curse that so many boys are born in the family over and over again.

He prefers girls.

And my daugther is the spitting image of her paternal grandmother, but with blue eyes.

They are happy with the girls.

And there is no way I could ever gain this much credibility with them if I hadn't been knocked up.

But my in-laws are very much not the norm.

If they were the average Egyptians I would have alot more to worry about.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com